Author Topic: Horror/Halloween 2016 Challenge  (Read 53373 times)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Re: Horror/Halloween 2016 Challenge
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2016, 04:59:27 PM »
     The Wolf Man: Universal Classic Monsters (1941/United States)
IMDb |Wikipedia |Trailer |
Universal Pictures Home Entertainment (United States)
Director:George Waggner
Writing:Curt Siodmak (Screenwriter)
Length:70 min.
Video:Full Frame 1.33:1
Audio:English: DTS-HD Master Audio: Mono, French: DTS: Mono, Commentary: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles:English, Spanish

Stars:
Claude Rains as Sir John Talbot
Warren William as Dr. Lloyd
Ralph Bellamy as Colonel Montford
Patric Knowles as Frank Andrews
Bela Lugosi as Bela

Plot:
After being attacked and bitten by a wolf in the woods, Larry Talbot becomes a cursed man who transforms into a deadly werewolf when the moon is full.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Audio Commentary
  • Feature Trailers
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Featurettes
  • Gallery
  • My Scenes (bookmark feature)

My Thoughts:

This is one of the first classic monster movies I ever seen.... and definitely one of my favorites. I love this movie! I especially like how well done the Wolf Man makeup is done. Especially considering the age of this movie. Lon Chaney, Jr. did an awesome job at playing both the tortured soul of Larry Talbot as well as The Wolf Man. And even though is only a small part I enjoyed Bela Lugosi as Bela, the gypsy. This is a movie I have watched many times... and sure I will continue to enjoy many more times to come.

Rating:
Pete

Offline Danae Cassandra

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2016, 07:53:57 PM »

Fear(s) of the Dark (Peur(s) du noir)
Year of Release: 2007
Directed By: Blutch, Charles Burns, Marie Cailou, Pierre Di Sciullo, Lorenzo Mattotti, Richard McGuire
Starring: Christian Hincker, Aure Atika, Guilaume Depardieu, Louisa Pili, Laurent van der Rest
Genre: Horror, Animation

Overview:
It has been hailed as the most visually stunning and unsettling anthology in modern animation history: Artistic director ETIENNE ROBIAL brings together six of the world's leading comic and graphic artists – BLUTCH, CHARLES BURNS (Black Hole), MARIE CAILLOU, RICHARD McGUIRE, PIERRE DI SCIULLO and LORENZO MATTOTTI – to each create a black and white journey straight into the realm of fright. This is their stark and naked world of phobias, nightmares and shadows, of strange noises, slimy bugs and dead things. It's a creepy, kinky, sometimes funny and always scary ride inside what makes our skin crawl and keeps us awake all night. The lights are off. The fear is real. Do you dare watch it alone?

My Thoughts:
This was stylish and interesting, with quite well-done animation in a variety of styles. If all of the segments aren't as good as the others, that's almost to be expected of an anthology film. I enjoyed the insect and the haunted house stories the best, then the story of the village and the story of the dogs, and lastly the story of the bullied girl and the ghosts. Though the animation is well-done in all of them, it is best done in the haunted house story, though I enjoyed the style of the dog story more. What I didn't like was the inter-pieces of the woman complaining about all the mundane things she is afraid of. That portion seemed rather pretentious. Still, the short films are worth seeing, either for fans of animation or fans of anthology horror.

Watched For: Hoop-tober 3.0, Horror/Halloween Challenge 2016

Bechdel Test: Fail
Mako Mori Test: Fail

Overall: 3/5

Horror/Halloween Challenge Films: 1/52
If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.
-- Thorin Oakenshield

Offline Danae Cassandra

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2016, 07:48:05 AM »

Dr. Terror's House of Horrors
Year of Release: 1964
Directed By: Freddy Francis
Starring: Peter Cushing, Christopher Lee, Donald Sutherland, Neil McCallum, Alan Freeman, Roy Castle
Genre: Horror

Overview:
Five men who board a train as strangers will soon find commonality when joined by a sixth passenger, the mysterious traveler known as Dr. Schreck (Peter Cushing). Watch as their destinies unfold in the chilling and “life”-altering horror-thrill ride, Dr. Terror’s House of Horrors.

To while away the time, the good doctor offers to read each passenger’s Tarot cards. The innocent parlor game has an unexpected conclusion as each reading unfolds on screen as a terrifying vignette (a werewolf on the loose; a vengeful creeping vine; a tale of voodoo; a disembodied hand coming to life; and a vampire story) the results of which are unpredictable and shocking.

From director Freddie Francis (The Doctor and The Devils, Dracula Has Risen From The Grave, Tales From The Crypt) and starring horror film royalty Peter Cushing (Horror of Dracula, Evil of Frankenstein) and Christopher Lee (Horror of Dracula, Lord of the Rings), Dr. Terror’s House of Horrors features a stellar cast of supporting players including Donald Sutherland (Robert Altman’s M.A.S.H., Bernardo Bertolucci’s 1900), Max Adrian (Ken Russell’s The Devils and The Boyfriend) and Michael Gough (Horror of Dracula, Tim Burton’s Batman and Sleepy Hollow).

My Thoughts:
This is a solid Amicus anthology horror. It features good production design, decent (if not spectacular) stories, and a fine cast. If Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee are the memorable standouts, none of the others does a bad job. The last story features a young Donald Sutherland as the only other name I recognized. The last two stories are the best ones, but the others aren't terrible. I'd recommend this if you like anthology horror films of this vintage - Tales of Terror for example, or you're a fan of Cushing or Lee. They both give a great performance here.

Watched For: Scavenger Hunt #19, Hoop-tober 3.0, Horror/Halloween Challenge 2016

Overall: 3.25/5

Horror/Halloween Challenge Films: 2/52
If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.
-- Thorin Oakenshield

Offline Danae Cassandra

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2016, 02:31:09 PM »

Lips of Blood (Lèvres de sang)
Year of Release: 1975
Directed By: Jean Rolin
Starring: Annie Belle, Jean-Loup Philippe, Catherine Castel, Marie-Pierre Castel, Natalie Perrey, Serge Rolin

Overview:
LIPS OF BLOOD (Levres de sang) was considered by Jean Rollin to be the best, or most developed, story he ever wrote. Of all his films, it perhaps best transcends his tendencies toward the poetical and arcane, while remaining at the same time true to his most personal, recurring obsessions: childhood, nostalgia, lost love, romantic quests, the cinema, obsolescence. In the course of its telling, it may also touch on such unsavory topics as vampirism and incest, but it would not be an exaggeration to call LIPS OF BLOOD "Jean Rollin's Somewhere in Time."

Jean-Loup Philippe stars as Frédéric, a maternally-dominated young man who by chance is awakened to a dormant childhood memory by attending a launch party for a new perfume. A chateau pictured in the poster reminds him of a night, long ago, when he was lost and a beautiful young woman (Jennifer, played by Forever Emanuelle's Annie Belle) came out of nowhere to protect him through the night. Later, the woman—unaged—magically appears and beckons to him, and Frédéric finds his way back to the chateau and to her, uncovering some dark secrets about his family's past along the way.

My Thoughts:
I continue to love Rolin. As I said in my previous review of this film, it''s a beautiful piece of visual poetry - dark, romantic, and atmospheric. Rolin has style. He certainly sets up some gorgeously artistic shots. He subverts the traditional horror villain - the vampires here aren't the villain, for all that they do kill people. The film is also rather slow-paced, and I'm certain Rolin's style isn't for everyone. I really enjoy his style, myself - this is my second Rolin this year, and I've got three more planned to watch.

Watched For: Scavenger Hunt #19, Hoop-tober 3.0, Horror/Halloween Challenge 2016

Overall: 3.5/5

Horror/Halloween Challenge Films: 3/52
-- Thorin Oakenshield

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2016, 04:15:08 PM »
    House on Haunted Hill (1959/United States)
MGM Home Entertainment (United States)
Director:William Castle
Writing:Robb White (Writer)
Length:75 min.
Video:Widescreen 1.78:1
Audio:English: DTS-HD Master Audio: 2-Channel Stereo, Commentary: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles:English

Stars:
Vincent Price as Frederick Loren
Carol Ohmart as Annabelle Loren
Richard Long  as Lance Schroeder
Alan Marshall as Dr. David Trent
Carolyn Craig as Nora Manning

Plot:
This classic horror favorite stars Vincent Price as Frederick Loren, an eccentric and sinister old man who offers his enemies $10,000 each if they stay the night in his creepy old mansion. Sounds like easy money right? Frederick does his best to scare his guests into leaving early. Little does he realise that someone in the house is out to get him!

When this film first appeared in theaters a skeleton would appear in the theater at a key moment in the film. Eventually filmgoers got wise to the skeleton and began pelting it with candy. Even without the gimicks, The House on Hauntd Hill is spooky good fun. Watch if if you dare...

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Audio Commentary
  • Feature Trailers
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Featurettes
  • Gallery

My Thoughts:

What is an October marathon without Vincent Price? And this is one of my favorites. Sure it has it's share of campiness but what Willaim Castle film does not? While the entire cast did a good job... I especially enjoyed (of course) Vincent Price as well as Elisha Cook. This one has a great story line... the setting fits perfectly. This is definitely one I would recommend.

Rating:

Horror/Halloween Challenge Films: 4/52
« Last Edit: October 03, 2016, 04:17:46 PM by addicted2dvd »
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2016, 08:05:40 PM »
     Hocus Pocus (1993/United States)
Buena Vista Home Entertainment (United States)
Director:Kenny Ortega
Writing:David Kirschner (1955) (Story By), Mick Garris (Story By), Mick Garris (Screenwriter), Neil Cuthbert (Screenwriter)
Length:96 min.
Video:Widescreen 1.85:1
Audio:English: DTS-HD Master Audio: 5.1, French: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles:English, French, Portuguese, Spanish

Stars:
Jason Marsden as Voice of Thackery Binx
Bette Midler as Winifred
Sarah Jessica Parker as Sarah
Kathy Najimy as Mary
Omri Katz as Max

Plot:
Conjure up a cauldron of laughs with Hocus Pocus, a fiendishly fun movie now on Blu-ray for the first time, featuring an all-new digital restoration with enhanced picture and sound. Academy Award® nominee Bette Midler (Best Actress, 1991, For The Boys), Sarah Jessica Parker (Sex And The City) and Kathy Najimy (The Wedding Planner) star in a wild and wacky comedy for the entire family.

When three 17th century Salem witches are accidentally summoned by modern-day pranksters, the 300-year-old trio sets out to cast a spell on the town and reclaim their youth, but first they must outwit three kids and a talking cat. Get ready for a night of zany fun in this bewitching comedy classic – now even better on Blu-ray!

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Bonus Trailers

My Thoughts:

I watched this one with my daughter Brittany today. Her pick. I found it to be a fun... albeit silly film. But I am sure it was meant to be. After all it is a family Halloween film so it is children friendly for the most part. Through some of it I was annoyed with the main cast's over-acting. But once I got used to the idea it added to the fun. I can see adding this to my yearly Halloween viewing... though for me it is more to make fun of and laugh at. I feel comfortable recommending this one... it is worth the time put in to watch it.

Rating:

Horror/Halloween Challenge Films: 5/52
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2016, 10:53:09 PM »
     Vampire Girl vs Frankenstein Girl (2009/Japan)
Trailer |IMDb |Wikipedia |
FUNimation Entertainment, Eleven Arts (United States)
Director:Naoyuki Tomomatsu, Yoshihiro Nishimura
Writing:Shungicu Uchida (Original Material By), Naoyuki Tomomatsu (Writer)
Length:85 min.
Audio:Japanese: Dolby TrueHD: 2-Channel Stereo, English: Dolby TrueHD: 5.1
Subtitles:English

Stars:
Yukie Kawamura as Monami
Takumi Saitoh as Mizushima
Eri Otoguro [Elly Otoguro] as Keiko
Sayaka Kametani
Jiji Bu [Jiji-Boo]

Plot:
Vampire Girl vs. Frankenstein Girl is the horrifying story of two classic monsters re-imagined as super hot - and extremely lethal - Japanese school girls. The opening montage of blood-caked --------------------------------------------- ------------------ sends audiences stumbling towards the emergency exits with one hand over their eyes and the other clamped tightly over their mouths. Mad scientist principals, ----------------------- ------ -----, psychedelic blood-filled chocolates, -----, sex-crazed psychotic school nurses, -------, ethically questionable afterschool activities, -------------------------------------------------------ed -----------------, and a ---------------- sumo wrestler from hell are just a few of the atrocities you'll be treated to upon a viewing of this ------- cinematic offering. Oh yeah, there's also a gruesome ------g helicopter constructed out of bloody -------- human ------- limbs-if you're into sick ---------------------- like that.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Feature Trailers
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Featurettes

My Thoughts:

Wow...what did I just watch? Bad, over-exaggerated gore effects....bad acting,,, and a story line that needed work. It felt like I was watching a Japanese Troma film. But to be honest... it is about what I expected from the trailer. This is not one I would recommend to anyone.

Rating:

Horror/Halloween Challenge Films: 6/52
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2016, 02:56:18 PM »
    Goosebumps (2015/United States, Australia)
Sony Pictures Home Entertainment (United States)
Director:Rob Letterman
Writing:Darren Lemke (Screenwriter), Scott Alexander (Story By), Larry Karaszewski (Story By), R. L. Stine [R.L. Stine] (Original Material By)
Length:103 min.
Video:Widescreen 2.35:1
Audio:English: Dolby TrueHD: 7.1, Audio Descriptive: Dolby Digital: 5.1, French: DTS-HD Master Audio: 5.1, Audio Descriptive: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital: 5.1
Subtitles:English, French, Spanish

Stars:
Jack Black as Stine
Dylan Minnette as Zach
Odeya Rush as Hannah
Ryan Lee  as Champ
Amy Ryan as Gale

Plot:
After moving to a small town, Zach Cooper finds a silver lining when he meets next-door neighbor Hannah, the daughter of best-selling Goosebumps series author R.L. Stine. Stine is very mysterious and a prisoner of his own imagination — the monsters that his books made famous are real, and he protects his readers by keeping them locked up in their monuscripts. When the monsters are accidentally unleashed and begin to terrorize the town, it's up to Stine, Zach and Hannah to get them back in their books where they belong!

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Featurettes
  • Gallery
  • Outtakes/Bloopers
  • Digital Copy

My Thoughts:

Granted this one is for the fans of the books and TV series. for me it is a lot of nostalgia of watching the TV episodes with my daughter. I really enjoyed this film...and love the fact that I got to watch this one with my daughter since we enjoyed watching the series so much when she was a kid. I think they did a good job at bringing a lot of the characters from the series to film. Jack Black has always been hit and miss for me... but I really liked him playing R. L. Stine. I found this one well worth the time put in to watch it... but I don't see people enjoying this one if they don't know the books or TV series.

Rating:

Horror/Halloween Challenge Films: 7/52
« Last Edit: October 04, 2016, 02:58:09 PM by addicted2dvd »
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2016, 09:35:35 PM »
     Subspecies: 20th Anniversary Edition (1991/United States)
Full Moon Features (United States)
Director:Ted Nicolaou
Writing:Charles Band (Original Material By), Jackson Barr (Screenwriter), David Pabian (Screenwriter)
Length:83 min.
Video:Widescreen 1.78:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles:

Stars:
Angus Scrimm as King Vladislav
Anders Hove as Radu
Irina Movila as Mara
Laura Tate as Michele
Michelle McBride as Lillian

Plot:
As ancient Transylvania struggles into modern times, old myths and superstitions blur with reality. Two American students, Michelle and Lillian, join their Romanian friend Mara in the Carpathian Mountains to study the legends of vampires.

While the three innocents explore the mysterious village culture and rituals, a suppressed evil rises again and casts its shadow upon the land. Unknowingly snared in a centuries-old family feud, the girls fall into the clutches of Radu: a diabolical vampire prince whose madness and bloodlust know no bounds.

To claim his birthright – the ancient Bloodstone – Radu kills his father and hunts his noble half brother Stefan. Dangerous passions erupt into violence as the vampire brothers each become obsessed with Michelle and begin to battle for her immortal soul.

Stefan's forbidden love for Michelle endangers her friends, as the jealous Radu plots to make them his undead consorts.

With Stefan's help, the girls fight for their lives against Radu and his minions – the Subspecies — an army of hellish creatures born of his own flesh. Will they survive to see the sunrise or will Radu curse them to eternal night?

Extras:
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Featurettes

My Thoughts:

I am kinda struggling on what to write about this one. I really liked the story... but the production left a bit to be desired. This film could have used a bigger budget... some of the special effects just could have been better. But over all I enjoyed the film... it is definitely worth the time to watch it.

Rating:

Horror/Halloween Challenge Films: 8/52
Pete

Offline Danae Cassandra

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2016, 12:01:47 AM »

The Old Dark House
Year of Release: 1932
Directed By: James Whale
Starring: Boris Karloff, Melvyn Douglas, Charles Laughton, Lillian Bond, Ernest Thesiger, Eva Moore

Overview:
Weary travelers find shelter in a mysterious Welsh manor in this definitive "Old Dark House" thriller and cult movie favorite by horror pioneer James Whale (the director of Frankenstein, The Invisible Man and The Bride of Frankenstein, and subject of the recent film Gods and Monsters).

Greeted with an animal-like grunt by the mansion's hideously scarred butler (Boris Karloff), three disoriented voyagers (Melvyn Douglas, Raymond Massey and Lillian Bond) find themselves in the unwelcoming company of the psychotic Femm family, whose members include a religious fanatic obsessed with mortality and other matter of the sinful flesh (Eva Moore), her browbeaten brother (Ernest Thesiger), and a scripture-quoting homicidal pyromaniac (Brember Wills)... all watched over by their androgynous, 102-year-old father (Elspeth "John" Dudgeon). Relieving the story's overwhelming weirdness are Charles Laughton and a young Gloria Stuart (Titanic) as two confused visitors to the strange estate.

As witty and surprising as it is darkly unsettling, The Old Dark House is a ghoulishly delightful treat, a one-of-a-kind macabre comedy blanketed with rain-soaked, gothic eeriness orchestrated by one of the foremost directors of the American horror film.

My Thoughts:
I find, for whatever reason, that I'm not as fond of this film today as I was when I first watched it four years ago. I still like Charles Laughton and Boris Karloff's performances. I still think that the cast do a good job creating unique, eccentric characters - and that not only Karloff, but also Eva Moore. That level of religious zealotry is both extremely off-putting and genuinely frightening. Gloria Stuart's character, however, seems even more silly, stupid, and just plain annoying today. The cinematography still creates a really spooky, old, dark house, but the print is in need of a good restoration/HD remaster. That shouldn't matter, but I think it actually does. Still, the script is good and the cast is top notch, so I'd still recommend it to fans of old films and classic horror.

Bechdel Test: Pass

Overall: 3.5/5

Horror/Halloween Challenge Films: 4/52
-- Thorin Oakenshield

Offline Danae Cassandra

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2016, 12:13:46 AM »

City of the Dead
Year of Release: 1960
Directed By: John Moxey
Starring: Dennis Lotis, Christopher Lee, Patricia Jessel, Tom Naylor, Betta St. John

Overview:
College student Nan Barlow is researching the history of witchcraft. Taunted by her brother and fiancé, who have voiced their concern over her silly notions, Nan arms herself with resolve and drives into the small New England village of Whitewood. She is glad that at least she as able to count on the support of her professor. A bit anxious but consumed with curiosity, she will soon embark on the journey of her life!

My Thoughts:
This was a great piece of 60's British horror. Really gothic and creepy, with fantastic atmosphere. Yes, you can tell it's made on a soundstage, but the blackness around the town and the thick fog make Whitewood seem like it exists in another realm. Christopher Lee is in his usual form - charismatic with an aura of menace beneath a classy exterior. The script is good too, especially since you think you know where the film is going and then it hits you with an unexpected twist in the middle. Highly recommended if you enjoy older horror films, or are a fan of Lee's. He's not here as much as I'd like, but he's superb in his scenes.

Mako Mori Test: Pass

Overall: 4/5

Horror/Halloween Challenge Films: 5/52
-- Thorin Oakenshield

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2016, 12:29:08 AM »
    Pet Sematary (1989/United States)
Paramount Home Entertainment (United States)
Director:Mary Lambert
Writing:Stephen King (Original Material By), Stephen King (Screenwriter)
Length:103 min.
Audio:English: DTS-HD Master Audio: 5.1, French: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround, Spanish: Dolby Digital: Mono, Portuguese: Dolby Digital: Mono, Commentary: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround
Subtitles:English, French, Portuguese, Spanish

Stars:
Dale Midkiff as Louis Creed
Fred Gwynne as Jud Crandall
Denise Crosby as Rachel Creed
Brad Greenquist as Victor Pascow
Michael Lombard as Irwin Goldman

Plot:
After moving to an idyllic home in the countryside, life seems perfect for the Creed family...but not for long. Louis and Rachel Creed and their two young children settle in to a house that sits next door to a pet cemetery – built on an ancient Indian burial ground. Their mysterious new neighbor, Jud Crandall (FRED GWYNNE), hides the cemetery's darkest secret...until a family tragedy brings the secret to life. Now, an unthinkable evil is about to be resurrected.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Audio Commentary
  • Featurettes

My Thoughts:

This has been one of my favorites for years. I been a big fan of Stephen King for a many years... I am also a fan of Denise Crosby. It was also fun to see Fred Gwynne as well. So both the writing and the cast is a plus for me. The atmosphere here is excellent. The story line is very good. While Louis is obviously a smart man what with him being a doctor and all... this story shows time and time again he is not a very wise man. He seems to lose himself more and more as the story goes on. This is definitely a film I would recommend... well worth the time put in to watch it!

Rating:

Horror/Halloween Challenge Films: 9/52
« Last Edit: October 06, 2016, 12:30:46 AM by addicted2dvd »
Pete

Offline Danae Cassandra

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2016, 01:33:24 PM »

The Witch's Mirror (El espejo de la bruja)
Year of Release: 1960
Directed By: Chano Urueta
Starring: Rosita Arenas, Armando Calvo, Isabela Corona, Dina De Marco

Overview:
A benevolent witch (Isabela Corona) enchants a magic mirror to protect her adopted daughter Elena (Dina de Marco) from her cruel husband (Armando Calvo). When the incantation fails and the girl is murdered, the witch vows revenge using every unholy principle of the supernatural that she can conjure. An unforgettable foray into black magic, high spookery and dazzling storytelling, CasaNegra is proud to present The Witch's Mirror restored and remastered for the first time on DVD in a brand new transfer - including the blasphemous resurrection of the slain Elena!

My Thoughts:
The first half of this seems like a low-budget but well-scripted gothic. At the midpoint it turns to gothic meets mad scientist horror. This is by no means bad, as the script holds together with the thread of supernatural vengeance running through all of it. It is a film of witchcraft, and the witch is a powerful force of evil. Nonetheless, she is not the villain of the film.

The budget is low, and the script derivative (Eyes Without a Face is an obvious influence) but the filmmakers create enough atmosphere and the performances are good enough to overlook that. If I've one major criticism, it's that the witch, Sara, targets the innocent second wife as much as the guilty husband. Too often women are pitted against each other by society, and Sara labels Deborah an 'evil woman' for actions outside her control. That aside, I enjoyed the film and would recommend it to fans of gothic horror.

Watched For: Scavenger Hunt 19, Hoop-tober 3.0, Horror/Halloween Challenge 2016

Overall: 3/5

Horror/Halloween Challenge Films: 6/52
-- Thorin Oakenshield

Offline Danae Cassandra

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2016, 02:35:17 PM »

Pet Sematary
Year of Release: 1989
Directed By: Mary Lambert
Starring: Dale Midkiff, Fred Gwynne, Denise Crosby, Brad Greenquist

Overview:
After moving to an idyllic home in the countryside, life seems perfect for the Creed family...but not for long. Louis and Rachel Creed and their two young children settle in to a house that sits next door to a pet cemetery – built on an ancient Indian burial ground. Their mysterious new neighbor, Jud Crandall (FRED GWYNNE), hides the cemetery's darkest secret...until a family tragedy brings the secret to life. Now, an unthinkable evil is about to be resurrected.

My Thoughts:
I thought this was really well done. With King himself providing the screenplay, it makes for a good adaptation of the novel. Both Louis and Rachel Creed are played well, and baby Gage is suitably cute and innocent (until he isn't). The cat playing Church also does a great job. Fred Gwynne makes a great Jud Crandall, but I'd have liked to see his wife included so that he'd have better motivation to take Louis up to the Micmac cemetery. The little girl who plays Ellie also takes it over the top more than once. Those criticism aside, this is still a good horror movie. King and director Mary Lambert film this with a wonderful aura of dread. Even knowing what's coming doesn't detract from the ominous feeling that pervades the film. Recommended for horror fans.

Watched For: Scavenger Hunt 19, Hoop-tober 3.0, Horror/Halloween Challenge 2016

Overall: 3.75/5

Horror/Halloween Challenge Films: 7/52
« Last Edit: October 06, 2016, 02:37:57 PM by Danae Cassandra »
-- Thorin Oakenshield

Offline Danae Cassandra

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 06, 2016, 02:42:16 PM »

Creature With the Atom Brain
Year of Release: 1955
Directed By: Edward L. Cahn
Starring: Richard Denning, Angela Stevens, S. John Launer, Michael Granger
Genre: Science-Fiction, Horror

Overview:
From the pen of the legendary Curt Siodmak (The Wolf Man, Donovan’s Brain) and director Edward L. Cahn (It! The Terror From Beyond Space) comes this smash-bang thriller starring Richard Denning (Creature From The Black Lagoon) as a police doctor hot on the trail of a mob boss who’s hired an ex-Nazi scientist to re-animate his dead thugs to do more dirty work! If it seems like a condensed serial, it shouldn’t be a surprise: the cast is packed with such chapterplay vets as Gregory Gaye, Tristam Coffin, Harry Lauter, Pierre Watkin, Lane Chandler, Don Harvey and Charles Horvath.

My Thoughts:
For all its lurid title, this is a surprisingly watchable B-movie. Yes, the premise is ludicrous, but what 1955 sci-fi B-movie's isn't? This is definitely more sci-fi than horror, even with the presence of zombies animated by a mad ex-Nazi scientist. I expect, if I was drunk, I would laugh at how earnestly upstanding Richard Denning plays his police doctor, or how very 50's era sexist his relationship with his wife is. If I didn't know better, I'd think the script writer contributed to The Lost Skeleton of Cadavra. Recommended only if you enjoy 50's B-movies; in which case you'll enjoy this.

Watched For:  Scavenger Hunt 19, Horror/Halloween Challenge 2016

Overall: 2.5/5

Horror/Halloween Challenge Films: 8/52
« Last Edit: October 06, 2016, 02:49:48 PM by Danae Cassandra »
-- Thorin Oakenshield