Author Topic: Movie podcasts  (Read 3688 times)

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
Movie podcasts
« on: November 03, 2014, 04:40:09 PM »
Currently I like to listen to movie podcasts. My favorite is “Now Playing“. I also listen to and can recommend “How Did this get made?“ and “Q&A with Jeff Goldsmith“. I tried a few others but didn't find any which clicked for me.
Are there any you can recommend?
Sadly spill.com doesn't exist anymore and I didn't find any working podcast feed for their old podcast.
Also sadly I missed some interesting donation drive podcasts from Now Playing, which now are not available anymore.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Movie podcasts
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2014, 05:57:48 AM »
We had a thread like this a while back (a long while), a refresher is a great idea.

In the old thread I learned about Now Playing from you, who I am still listening to now. Then I listen to the weekly radio show from 5Live with Mark Kermode (movie critic) and Simon Mayo (presenter); originally introduced to me by Jon.

Cool Shit(e) on the Tube, that I previously recommended, also stopped posting new stuff. Their old stuff should still be available though.

I also recently discovered How Did This Get Made?, but I am still trying to get into it. Listen to a few so far and thought it's o.k. It most certainly is more effective if you know the movies they are talking about; so I am skipping some episodes. I noticed they have a lot of "prequel" episodes, what is that about...?

Somewhat movie related is The Weekly Planet, where they concentrate on comic book movies 90% of the time. It's two guys from Australia who, in my opinion, are just fun to listen to, even if they were just talking nonsenical random stuff. Then again, it's kind of what they do :laugh:

Movieing On is about "movies from 1999 or earlier"; this was recommend by the The Weekly Planet guys, I think, but have not yet started listening to this one.

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2014, 07:34:32 AM »
In their prequel episodes they talk about comments from listeners for the previous episodes and tell you what movie they discuss next, so that you have a chance to watch it beforehand.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2014, 11:30:40 AM »
In their prequel episodes they talk about comments from listeners for the previous episodes and tell you what movie they discuss next, so that you have a chance to watch it beforehand.
Ok, so I could basically skip these. I wouldn't necessarily care about the comments of the listeners, although I might try it once or twice, and what's next will be shown in my feed when the time comes... Thanks.

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2014, 04:08:23 PM »
I listened now to the first episode of The Weekly Planet. It seems promising  :)

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2014, 05:16:40 AM »
And I re-downloaded How Did That Get Made and listened to the live show for Superman III, having a blast doing so.

Now I only need to check out that Q&A with Jeff Goldsmith thing...

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2014, 10:15:02 AM »
The Superman 3 podcast I also already listened to. One of the best so far.

For Q&A I can recommend the one with Bobcat G. about God Bless America.

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2014, 07:23:45 PM »
Now Playing just is such a good podcast, that I find it hard to find a podcast I can listen to. They just have such a good chemistry, it is well edited, they have a great way to express themselves. They made their research. I have stopped listening to other podcasts when I had the feeling that they didn't really bother spending some effort on reviewing the movie or telling facts I know are false.

Now Playing has some podcasts which were only available a limited time during their donation drives. Sadly I missed some great retrospective series during my podcast hiatus. I really would have liked to listen to their Planet of the Apes retrospective series.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2014, 05:08:46 AM »
Now Playing just is such a good podcast, that I find it hard to find a podcast I can listen to. They just have such a good chemistry, it is well edited, they have a great way to express themselves. They made their research. I have stopped listening to other podcasts when I had the feeling that they didn't really bother spending some effort on reviewing the movie or telling facts I know are false.
I totally agree. Especially Arnie, who watches the films multiple times to get all the different cuts and commentaries. Plus the additional research of course, it is really amazing. They are so passionate about this...

I stopped with others for similar reasons, for example with "Movies You Should See". They would just go off in tangents most of the time. And it really bothered me, that they called themselves "Movies You Should See" and then spoiled them entirely, just didn't make sense to me.

Now Playing has some podcasts which were only available a limited time during their donation drives. Sadly I missed some great retrospective series during my podcast hiatus. I really would have liked to listen to their Planet of the Apes retrospective series.
They have a great way to make me give them money, by choosing good film series for the donation drives. The current Leprechaun and Hobbit is the first one in a while I didn't care for (paid for Lord of the Rings though...). I also ended up buying one of the last DVD they had :bag: I really wanted to listen to their Chucky series (although I will not have the last episode for the new film from last year) and most of all Jaws...

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2014, 09:44:48 AM »
I would be willing to pay money for the donation drive podcasts, but sadly they put them in the vault. I can really bite myself that I missed some great retrospective series. I hadn't had time for awhile to listen to them. I now began again, because I have now a longer commute.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2014, 02:45:54 AM »
Movieing On is about "movies from 1999 or earlier"; this was recommend by the The Weekly Planet guys, I think, but have not yet started listening to this one.
I tried three episodes of this over the past few days. Couldn't get into it at all, so I will not continue listening. It's just no fun when I seem to remember more details about a movie I have seen 10 years ago then they remember seeing it last week. :shrug: The fact that we hardly seem to share a taste in movies doesn't help either...

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2014, 11:59:22 AM »
I started listening to two other podcasts. “Continuous Play“ movie reviews and their spin off “The Art of Slaying“ ( review of all Buffy episodes). The audio quality is not good, but otherwise I can recommend it so far.

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2015, 05:26:28 PM »
I also can recommend "Star Trek: The Rewatch". They are rewatching and reviewing TNG. They just started with the second season.