Author Topic: Unwatched DVDs/Blu-rays  (Read 10641 times)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Unwatched DVDs/Blu-rays
« on: May 05, 2014, 04:10:53 PM »
Unwatched DVDs/Blu-rays
I have quite a bit of time on my hands the next few days (as long as work don't call me in again :P ). So I thought this would be the perfect time to work on my unwatched DVDs and Blu-ray discs. I don't really have a goal in mind here... just want to see how many I can get watched.

Please note that the list below is films I haven't watched since getting the discs. I may have seen the film before... just not since getting the discs. Unfortunately most of my collection is in storage... but here is some I have in house to choose from... in alphabetical order...

42: The Jackie Robinson Story
127 Hours
The Adventures of Pinocchio
Beneath
Beverly Hills Chihuahua 2
Beverly Hills Chihuahua 3: Viva La Fiesta
Blue Crush 2
The Box
Bram Stoker's Dracula
The Bucket List
Children of the Corn: Genesis
Citizen Kane
Conan the Barbarian (2011)
The Conjuring
Defendor
The Expendables
The Factory
Frank Miller's Sin City
Freddy's Dead: The Final Nightmare
Fright Night 2
Going the Distance
Hatchet
House of 9
In the Cut
Iron Man
Iron Man 2
Iron Man 3
Land of the Dead
Legion
Keeping Up with the Steins
The Little Vampire
Life as We Know It
The Lone Ranger
Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring
Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers
Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King
Love Happens
MacGruber
The Manchurian Candidate (2004)
Maverick
Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocal
Monkey Trouble
Nancy Drew and the Hidden Staircase
Nancy Drew, Detective
Nancy Drew, Reporter
Nancy Drew: Trouble Shooter
North by Northwest
Picture Perfect
Priest
Puppy Love
Red
Repo Men
Rest Stop: Don't Look Back
Return to Nim's Island
Salem Witch Trials
Salt
Saw
Saw VI
Son of the Mask
SpaceCamp
Star Trek: Into Darkness
Starship Troopers 2
Starship Troopers 3
Stephen King's Bag of Bones
Stephen King's The Mist
Transformers: The Revenge has Fallen
Undercover Angel
Wes Craven's New Nightmare
Wilderness Love
The Wolverine
Zookeeper

Feel free to give me suggestions on what to watch... but I can't promise I will get to the suggested film... depending on time I have and the mood I am in. If I am not in the mood for a certain type of film I will not enjoy it nearly as much at the time... which wouldn't be fair on the reviews I write or to the person that suggested the film.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2014, 09:55:44 PM by addicted2dvd »
Pete

Mustrum_Ridcully

Re: Unwatched DVDs/Blu-rays
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2014, 05:02:08 PM »
By alpha (too)

Bram Stoker's Dracula
Defendor
Frank Miller's Sin City
The Manchurian Candidate
RED

and
by all means avoid

The Zookeeper

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2014, 05:39:22 PM »
 In honor of our good friend Roger, may he rest in peace, I decided my first film will be a Western. Since my entire John Wayne collection is in storage I will have to make due with The Lone Ranger.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2014, 08:47:36 PM »
     The Lone Ranger (2013/United States)
IMDb |Wikipedia |Trailer |
Buena Vista Home Entertainment
Director:Gore Verbinski
Writing:Justin Haythe (Screenwriter), Ted Elliott (Screenwriter), Terry Rossio (Screenwriter), Ted Elliott (Story By), Terry Rossio (Story By), Justin Haythe (Story By)
Length:149 min.
Rating:Rated PG-13 : Sequences of Intense Action and Violence, and Some Suggestive Material
Video:Widescreen 2.40:1
Audio:English: DTS-HD Master Audio: 7.1, Audio Descriptive: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround, French: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital: 5.1
Subtitles:English, French, Spanish

Stars:
Johnny Depp as Tonto
Armie Hammer as John Reid (Lone Ranger)
William Fichtner as Butch Cavendish
Tom Wilkinson as Cole
Ruth Wilson as Rebecca Reid
Helena Bonham Carter as Red Harrington

Plot:
Johnny Depp and Armie Hammer star in The Lone Ranger, from Jerry Bruckheimer Films and Director Gore Verbinski. It's a wild ride of high-velocity action, explosions and gunfights that brings the famed masked legend to life through brand-new eyes. The Lone Ranger (Hammer), the last of his kind, teams with Tonto (Depp), a dark and mysterious vigilante, to seek vengeance after justice has failed them, it's a runaway train of epic surprises, as these two unlikely heroes must learn to work together before the ultimate showdown between good and evil explodes.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Featurettes
  • Outtakes/Bloopers
  • Digital Copy

My Thoughts:
I decided to watch this one in honor of my good friend Roger who recently passed away. He was a huge fan of westerns... especially of John Wayne. Unfortunately all my John Wayne films are still in storage so made do with this one.

I remember when I first heard about this film coming out I was surprised that Johnny Depp took the role of Tonto instead of the Lone Ranger himself. After watching this film I see why. The movie is different then I was expecting... but I still enjoyed every moment of it. I thought everyone that was involved did a good job... and the storyline, while on the long side, easily kept my interest. The film has some good Western action and adventure... but also comes through with a few laughs. Recommended.

My Rating:
Pete

Offline GSyren

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2014, 09:06:02 PM »
Interesting. I've been avoiding The Lone Ranger, because I didn't  like what I saw in the trailer. Maybe I should rethink that? I do usually like Johnny Depp, although I didn't much care for the later Pirates movies.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2014, 11:06:29 PM »
     Red: Special Edition (2010/United States)
IMDb |Wikipedia |Trailer |
Summit Entertainment
Director:Robert Schwentke
Writing:Warren Ellis (1968) (Original Material By), Cully Hamner (Original Material By), Jon Hoeber (Screenwriter), Erich Hoeber (Screenwriter)
Length:111 min.
Rating:Rated PG-13 : Intense Sequences of Action Violence and Brief Strong Language
Video:Widescreen 2.40:1
Audio:English: DTS-HD Master Audio: 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Commentary: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles:English, Spanish

Stars:
Bruce Willis as Frank Moses
Mary-Louise Parker as Sarah Ross
Heidi von Palleske as Woman Neighbor
Jefferson Brown as Fred
Karl Urban as William Cooper
Chris Owens as Hanged Man

Plot:
Frank (Willis) is a former black-ops CIA agent living a quiet life alone... until the day a hit squad shows up to kill him. With his identity compromised, Frank reassembles his old team Joe (Freeman), Marvin (Malkovich) and Victoria (Mirren) and sets out to prove that they still have a few tricks up their sleeves. Stand back and watch the bullets fly in this explosive action-comedy that critics call "A rip-roaring good time". (Kevin Steincross, Fox-TV).

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Audio Commentary
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Interviews
  • Picture-in-picture

My Thoughts:
Just finished this one. I really enjoyed it. A real fun action flick with a lot of big name stars in it. Definitely well worth the time put in to watch it. Now I just need to find part 2 to add to my collection.

My Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2014, 11:08:11 PM »
Interesting. I've been avoiding The Lone Ranger, because I didn't  like what I saw in the trailer. Maybe I should rethink that? I do usually like Johnny Depp, although I didn't much care for the later Pirates movies.

I was a bit hesitant after first seeing the trailer too. Then a friend convinced me to give it a chance. As I said... I enjoyed it quite a bit. Not sure about you though... as if I remember correctly we have disagreed on films before. :P
Pete

Mustrum_Ridcully

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2014, 11:17:41 PM »
Now I just need to find part 2 to add to my collection.

Sadly part 2 can't quite compete with the first, and if only because the first part put the marks so incredibly high.

What comes around as refreshing and ironic in part 1 smells like "old jokes" in part 2.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2014, 11:31:57 PM »
Thanks for the heads up... though I will still have to see it at least once. :P
Pete

Offline GSyren

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2014, 11:43:20 PM »

I was a bit hesitant after first seeing the trailer too. Then a friend convinced me to give it a chance. As I said... I enjoyed it quite a bit. Not sure about you though... as if I remember correctly we have disagreed on films before. :P
Well, if you say that the actual movie is better than the trailer, then I think I may give it a try. I won't hold it against you if I don't like it... And who doesn't disagree with someone at some time or other. It would be rather odd if we had the exact same taste in films.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2014, 11:44:24 PM »
This is very true
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2014, 11:47:04 PM »
I have to get ready for work... so next movie will be watched tomorrow. :)
Pete

Offline DSig

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2014, 01:34:39 AM »

Well, if you say that the actual movie is better than the trailer, then I think I may give it a try. I won't hold it against you if I don't like it... And who doesn't disagree with someone at some time or other. It would be rather odd if we had the exact same taste in films.
I think that you might enjoy this.  I grew up on the Lone Ranger and his faithful companion Tonto and this isn't that :)  So if you can let that go .. this is a very entertaining film.  Johnny Depp is as good as he has ever been (except for Benny and Joon where he was inspired).  There are some cheap shots at the original series and I always laugh (just watched it last night with my daughter and she just looked at me when I was laughing).

(click to show/hide)

Great film with no reverence to the original ...
Thank you
David

Offline GSyren

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2014, 04:53:13 AM »
Well, I didn't grow up with Lone Ranger. We didn't get the TV show here in Sweden. I do remember the comics, but they weren't something I read. I don't think they were very big over here. So not being faithful to the original won't be a problem for me.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2014, 01:53:09 PM »
Well... I don't know how much I will get to watch today (if anything) was supposed to be off today... but that didn't work out. They called me in once again. I will be taking my day off tomorrow if they ask me to work or not. After 11 days straight... I was like the walking dead in there last night.
Pete