Frozen
« on: March 21, 2014, 01:10:42 AM »

Frozen
Year of Release: 2013
Directed By: Chris Buck, Jennifer Lee
Starring: Kristen Bell, Idina Menzel, Jonathan Groff, Josh Gad, Santino Fontana
Genre: Fantasy, Animation

Overview:
Walt Disney Animation Studios presents a chilly twist on one of the most humorous and heartwarming stories ever told. "Disney Animation's best since The Lion King" (William Bibbiani, CraveOnline) will melt your heart.

Fearless optimist Anna sets off on an epic journey — teaming up with rugged mountain man Kristoff and his loyal reindeer Sven — to find her sister Elsa, whose icy powers have trapped the kingdom of Arendelle in eternal winter. Encountering Everest-like conditions, mystical trolls and a hilarious snowman named Olaf, Anna and Kristoff battle the elements in a race to save the kingdom.

Bring home Frozen on Blu-ray High Definition — featuring a blizzard of never-before-seen bonus extras with gorgeous animation, memorable characters and unforgettable music. It's dazzling fun for the whole family!

My Thoughts:
Certainly the best Disney movie in twenty years, and also one of the best of all time, Frozen has a great soundtrack, top-notch animation, and a heart-felt story. 

The animation is absolutely stunning.  The choice of CGI over traditional hand-drawn works perfectly for the story here, creating a crisp look, and the gorgeous blue and white palette glistens so much like real snow and ice you'll feel a bit cold just watching. 

I really liked all of the characters, and felt they all had a bit of uniqueness to them.  Even the relatively minor characters like the shopkeeper were memorable.  My favorite character, hands down, was Olaf, who was simply so sweet and endearing as to nearly steal any scene he was in.   

I do wish we had seen more of Elsa, though, and that her part in the story was larger.  She is a very different lady than we have seen before from Disney, and really far more interesting than her sister.  Her story is far from over and continuing with her would make an excellent sequel - if Disney didn't have such an abysmal track record with sequels.

That aside, this movie is a lot of fun, has really positive female characters who save themselves and each other for a change, and I'd recommend it for just about anyone.

Bechdel Test:  Pass

Overall: 4/5
If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.
-- Thorin Oakenshield

Offline Blair

• Heavy Poster
  • ¡umop apisdn w,I
    • View Profile
    • My DVD Collection
Re: Frozen
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2014, 01:59:17 AM »
I am probably the only person on the planet that saw Frozen and thought, "Beautiful animation and good music. Story? Seriously?"
(click to show/hide)

I may be overly technical, but that is normal for me with almost all feature animations that I watch. They can literally craft every detail as precisely as they want. As I watched it, aside from the top-notch animation, it reminded me of a $5-bin Barbie Princess movie I watched with my nieces a few years ago.

I still gave it a 7/10, though.
I have a collection.
It can be found here.
No need to check it often.
I update it only twice a year!

Never go to bed mad. Sleep on the couch instead.

There are a few broken branches in every family tree.

Offline Danae Cassandra

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2014, 03:01:55 AM »
(click to show/hide)

That was my take on that part of the resolution any way.  I admit the ending needed something more in explanation. 
If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.
-- Thorin Oakenshield

Offline Blair

• Heavy Poster
  • ¡umop apisdn w,I
    • View Profile
    • My DVD Collection
Frozen
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2014, 06:41:02 PM »
That may have been the creator's take on it as well, but since it was not my first reaction, I cannot really "reason" it in to change my mind.

That is a good point, though.
I have a collection.
It can be found here.
No need to check it often.
I update it only twice a year!

Never go to bed mad. Sleep on the couch instead.

There are a few broken branches in every family tree.

Mustrum_Ridcully

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2014, 06:46:10 PM »
I am probably the only person on the planet that saw Frozen and thought, "Beautiful animation and good music. Story? Seriously?"
(click to show/hide)

But isn't this correct for any movie presenting us "Love's First Kiss" as solution to all problems?