Author Topic: SpaceCamp  (Read 2151 times)

Offline Danae Cassandra

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
SpaceCamp
« on: January 10, 2014, 04:43:42 AM »

SpaceCamp
Year of Release: 1986
Directed By:  Harry Winer
Starring: Kate Capshaw, Lea Thompson, Kelly Preston, Larry B. Scott, Joaquin Phoenix, Tate Donovan, Tom Skerritt
Genre: Adventure, Science-Fiction, Disaster

Overview:
Zero gravity meets zero fear in this cosmic comedy-adventure about a summer camp where regular kids check in...and real astronauts check out! Starring Kate Capshaw, Lea Thompson, Kelly Preston, Larry B. Scott, Leaf Phoenix and Tate Donovan, SpaceCamp is a wild and wonderful thrill-ride packed with "special effects...spectacular moments" (Film Journal) and a "gripping climax" (Time Out Film Guide) that's out of this world!

For five typical teens, NASA's space camp promises to be a fun way to blow off the summer. But when a space shuttle exercise misfires, they find themselves launched into orbit, facing the adventure of a lifetime. Now, the only way back to Earth is to take command of the ship and control of their destinies, before time – and oxygen – runs out!

My Thoughts:
I'd forgotten how enjoyable this film is.  I have fond memories of it from childhood, and it's still an entertaining watch.  I still get a warm fuzzy from "Jinx and Max best friends forever." Part of me cringes at the message being sent with the overachiever girl being wrong about a crucial thing and then freezing in decision making though.  Try to imagine the roles of Kevin & Kathryn gender reversed and you see the problem.  I did like the other girl, though, the one who appears to be a bubblehead but is really super-smart.  That quibble aside, it's still a whole-hearted recommendation from me for a fun, kid-friendly movie.

Bechdel Test: Pass

Overall: 3/5
« Last Edit: January 10, 2014, 04:46:12 AM by Danae Cassandra »
If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.
-- Thorin Oakenshield

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
Re: SpaceCamp
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2014, 06:29:30 AM »
I remember liking this one overall too.  You make a good point about what they did with the one girl character.  Woman are too......emotional or flighty or whatever to deal with a stressful or difficult job.

Offline DSig

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2014, 05:25:08 PM »
I remember liking this one overall too.  You make a good point about what they did with the one girl character.  Woman are too......emotional or flighty or whatever to deal with a stressful or difficult job.
Oh wow .. I hope that was a factitious statement :)  I guess I will have to watch it to see
Thank you
David

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2014, 03:00:52 AM »
I was meaning that writers or whoever seemed to feel like that.  Have to take the smart girl and make her ...sort of crumble I guess instead of being fully capable throughout the movie.