Author Topic: 106 new Dr. Who episodes found!  (Read 5384 times)

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
106 new Dr. Who episodes found!
« on: October 06, 2013, 08:47:48 PM »

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
Re: 106 new Dr. Who episodes found!
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2013, 09:46:05 PM »
According to the comments on that article, it seems to be hoax.

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2013, 10:15:01 PM »
Oh dear, that's what I get for not reading it. I wasn't very interested because I've never seen this series.  :bag:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2013, 10:35:22 PM »
Oh dear, that's what I get for not reading it. I wasn't very interested because I've never seen this series.  :bag:
I also have never seen it. I don't like to start series, where I know I will never be able to see all episodes.

Kinoniki

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2013, 12:20:55 PM »
I haven't seen much of the old Doctors either but you can always start with the "new" series from 2005 which is now in its seventh season. That is what I did and have enjoyed it very much, especially the David Tennant years. There is really no requirement to have seen any of the old series beforehand.

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2013, 03:25:10 PM »
Thank you Patrik - I really should check this series out since I've heard so much about it.

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2013, 03:48:32 PM »
Thank you Patrik - I really should check this series out since I've heard so much about it.

But be warned, you need to like weird and absurd science-fiction to enjoy it. Rule of thumb you didn't like The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy book (let's just ignore the movie with Zooey Deschannel) or found Farscape too weird, you're probably not going to like Doctor Who.

Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

Offline dfmorgan

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2013, 04:38:53 PM »
Some old episodes have been found in Nigeria, reported on the BBC website.
Dave

Life? - Who needs a life when you have anime!

My DVD/HD-DVD/Blu-ray Collection
My Library
My CD Collection - sorry I use readerware for that and it doesn't have an online component.

MEJHarrison

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2013, 10:51:06 PM »

As mentioned earlier in this thread, that appears to be a hoax.  Not true.

Offline dfmorgan

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2013, 11:32:18 PM »

As mentioned earlier in this thread, that appears to be a hoax.  Not true.

The earlier mention in this thread was for Ethiopia not Nigeria and I doubt that the BBC would have reported this in the way that they have if this find was another hoax.  There seems a good deal of veracity in the report. I probably should have started a fresh thread instead of adding to this one to ensure that the details were kept separate.
Dave

Life? - Who needs a life when you have anime!

My DVD/HD-DVD/Blu-ray Collection
My Library
My CD Collection - sorry I use readerware for that and it doesn't have an online component.

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2013, 06:15:13 PM »
I haven't seen much of the old Doctors either but you can always start with the "new" series from 2005 which is now in its seventh season. That is what I did and have enjoyed it very much, especially the David Tennant years. There is really no requirement to have seen any of the old series beforehand.

I am thinking about starting with this series. Which sets do you recommend to buy?  I prefer it to be relatively low on cost, but I don't want any gaps (i.e. missing specials). I don't care about other bonus features though. It doesn't have to be an all-in-one set. It can be multiple releases if it is cheaper.

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2013, 06:29:16 PM »
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Doctor-Who-Series-Collection-DVD/dp/B002KSA41U/?tag=dvdcolonl-21

Seasons 1-4 of the new series, containing season 1 with Christopher Eccleston's 9th Doctor (whom you may know as the invisible man from Heroes) and all seasons with David Tennant's 10th Doctor (except for the 2009 specials*)

*In 2009 - the year after season 4 ended - there wasn't a regular season but instead 5 specials which ended Tennant's run by regenerating into Matt Smith's 11th doctor.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Doctor-Who-Complete-Specials-Planet/dp/B002SZQC7A/?tag=dvdcolonl-21
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Doctor-Who-Complete-Specials-Blu-ray/dp/B002SZQC7K/?tag=dvdcolonl-21

Also (if you do that kind of stuff) the torrent site eztv.it has a BBC3 special from a few days ago which is a history of 50 years of Doctor Who: The doctors, the monsters, the companions. I really enjoyed it.

« Last Edit: November 19, 2013, 07:02:08 PM by DJ Doena »
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2013, 06:46:39 PM »
Thanks!

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2013, 06:51:58 PM »
PS: of course the BB3 documentary is extremely spoiler-y, revealing the regenerations and reasons why companions leave.

I also bought a few select classic Doctor Who stories that make sense (for me) in the context of the 2005 show:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Doctor-Who-Beginning-Unearthly-Destruction/dp/B000C6EMTC/?tag=dvdcolonl-21

The Beginning Box: The first three stories of the very first Doctor.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Doctor-Who-The-Time-Warrior/dp/B000R20ZA6/?tag=dvdcolonl-21

The Time Warrior: First appearance of Sarah Jane Smith during the run of the 3rd Doctor (Jon Pertwee), also introduction of the Sontarans (aka potato heads ;))

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Doctor-Who-Robot-Tom-Baker/dp/B000NVI2C4/?tag=dvdcolonl-21

Robot: Not a very good story, but the first story with the 4th Doctor (Tom Baker)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Doctor-Who-Genesis-Daleks-DVD/dp/B000EGCD5A/?tag=dvdcolonl-21

Genesis of the Daleks: 4th Doctor / Sarah Jane story and the first appearance of Davros at the very beginning of the Daleks

This I don't have but this is the 1st doctor story that introduces the Cybermen: The Tenth Planet: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Doctor-Who-The-Tenth-Planet/dp/B00EF1I85Y/?tag=dvdcolonl-21
« Last Edit: November 19, 2013, 07:04:06 PM by DJ Doena »
Karsten

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2013, 07:02:29 PM »
One other reason why I always hesitated to start with this series was the many spinoffs. I usually am a completist. How much interconnected are these series with Doctor Who?