Author Topic: The Heat  (Read 4781 times)

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
The Heat
« on: June 30, 2013, 05:32:47 AM »
The Heat

I've been wanting to see this movie since I first heard about it because I really like Sandra Bullock.  I went to see the movie on opening day and I really like it.

Sarah is a very up tight, by the book FBI agent who closes more cases than the men in her field office.  She can be a little arrogant at times about her success at her job, which causes her co-workers to dislike her even more.  Her boss says she isn't right for a promotion because of that and he sends her to Boston to work on a case involving a drug lord to prove herself.  Sarah encounters Shannon, a detective on the Boston force, and things don't go well between them.  Shannon is the complete opposite of Sarah, and she is a bit hostile most of the time.  The women end up having to work together to catch the drug lord.

The movie is funny and entertaining overall and I think it is worth watching.  The story could be a little stronger, but that didn't bother me.  The humor works well.  Some of it does get a little vulgar or crude since it is an R rated comedy, but I don't think it is as bad as some of the other recent R rated comedies - including Bridesmaids.  A little of that stuff is ok at times, but it gets old when movie makers just relie on that for the humor.  Most of it isn't even funny.  Thankfully, the funniest stuff isn't in the trailers.  Some of it is a little silly or stupid, but it is funny and it works for the movie.  Bullock and McCarthy are great together and both are very funny.  They've shown in previous things that they aren't afraid to make themselves look silly for humor.  There is action at times and some violence.  Some of those things are a little graphic, but I don't think they are that extreme. 

The Heat is very entertaining overall and it deserves to be seen, especially for people who like Sandra Bullock or Melissa McCarthy.

I did post a longer review at Epinions.

The Heat

Offline GSyren

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Re: The Heat
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2013, 07:18:04 AM »
I like Sandra Bullock, so this sounds interesting. I'll add it to my wishlist.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2013, 07:53:39 AM »
I hope you like it.

Offline GSyren

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2013, 11:45:41 AM »
If I don't, you're in trouble...  ;)

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2013, 08:14:32 PM »
 :laugh:  Unhuh....ok.

Offline GSyren

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2013, 11:40:17 PM »
Well, actually I'm the one who is in trouble, because with some 5000 DVDs in my living room, space is at a premium, so I really can't afford to waste space on stuff that I don't like. I should get rid of a lot of old DVDs of films I have absolutely no intention of rewatching, but that would mess up my collection numbering system...  :-[

Actually I should stop buying DVDs altogether and take care of my unwatched pile, but I'm a DVD-holic. It's fortunate that nobody else on these forums suffers from that problem  8)

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2013, 12:33:17 AM »
I've been downsizing for years...the problem is my collection keeps increasing. I can't figure it out.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2013, 03:00:21 AM »
Well, actually I'm the one who is in trouble, because with some 5000 DVDs in my living room, space is at a premium, so I really can't afford to waste space on stuff that I don't like. I should get rid of a lot of old DVDs of films I have absolutely no intention of rewatching, but that would mess up my collection numbering system...  :-[

Actually I should stop buying DVDs altogether and take care of my unwatched pile, but I'm a DVD-holic. It's fortunate that nobody else on these forums suffers from that problem  8)

Oh no...no one else has that issue.  Nope.  Not at all.   :bag:
What are you looking at?  Move along..nothing to see...nope..no one here has a DVD/Blu-ray collection that is outgrowing the available shelf space.  Nope.  Not at all.

;)

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2013, 06:09:24 AM »
It's a sad state of affairs, really, isn't it? We sometimes buy stuff being well aware that it will be so low in the unwatched pile we may actually never watch it  :slaphead:

Rewatching...? The total running time of the collection is so enormous at this point (mine, let alone yours) that it is very clear we can never really rewatch everything.

It's clearly what marks us as collector's... We are happy to have them, watching is optional... :bag:

Offline GSyren

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2013, 08:05:32 AM »
I do occasionally rewatch things. Not too long ago I rewatched all my Harryhausen movies in chronological order from Mighty Joe Young to Clash of the Titans. Good stuff! But I'll have to admit that not very many of my DVDs ever get rewatched.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2013, 05:48:37 AM »
I rewatch stuff..which is probably why I have so many still to watch. 

I just watched all of Castle..then Firefly and Serenity...The Mummy movies... and now I have started back with Harry Potter again.  I'm up to watching the Ultimate editions of the first few 6 times now I think...never mind how many times I watched them on DVD before that...  So yes, I do rewatch stuff frequently.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2013, 06:33:29 AM »
Of course I rewatch my favourite films too. But then you'd think: why am I rewatching stuff I know, I have loads of unwatched stuff :stars:

Offline DSig

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2013, 05:08:30 PM »
I do occasionally rewatch things. Not too long ago I rewatched all my Harryhausen movies in chronological order from Mighty Joe Young to Clash of the Titans. Good stuff! But I'll have to admit that not very many of my DVDs ever get rewatched.
I really like Harryhausen's stuff.  Still want to get more but the ones I do have do/will rewatch.
Thank you
David

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2013, 05:37:31 PM »
Of course I rewatch my favourite films too. But then you'd think: why am I rewatching stuff I know, I have loads of unwatched stuff :stars:

Yeah but when you rewatch, you at least know what you'll get. Watching new stuff always has an uncertainty factor.
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2013, 07:51:27 PM »

Yeah but when you rewatch, you at least know what you'll get. Watching new stuff always has an uncertainty factor.

That is a very good point.  I don't mind trying new movies...but I guess I'm just in the mood for certain things at times, and with movies I've seen before, I know which ones I think are really funny or fun or whatever.