Author Topic: Star Wars: The Last Jedi  (Read 2889 times)

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
Star Wars: The Last Jedi
« on: December 17, 2017, 05:49:43 AM »
I went to see Star Wars: The Last Jedi yesterday - Friday - afternoon.  At first I thought I was going to end up waiting until next week, but I got the chance to go and I'm glad I did. 

The movie is really good.  Really good.  Several things were awesome.  I didn't think it was predictable at all.  I had convinced myself that one of two things were more than likely going to happen..if not both.  Neither one did.  No I'm not saying what I thought would happen.   I have seen some things posted online - after I saw the movie - where some people are disappointed for ...whatever reason.  I didn't feel that way.  I was really wanting to see it, but I still did't have my expectations super high if that makes sense.  All I knew about the movie going in was the little from the trailers I had seen.  I think that was good.  People really need to see without knowing what to expect. 

I saw the normal version.  I do want to see it again in the theater.  Maybe I'll check out the 3D that time.  There were a lot of things that I think have the potential to look cool in 3D. 

Mark Hamill and Carrie Fisher were wonderful in the movie.  Once the credits started, there was the tribute to Carrie, and yes, that did make me tear up a bit.  Her daughter does have a nice supporting part.  She doesn't steal any scenes or anything, but she was good too. 

I know I am being very vague here.  I don't want to accidentally spoil anything for anyone.  The movie is awesome.  Go see it immediately.

Offline GSyren

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Star Wars: The Last Jedi
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2017, 09:19:24 AM »
I don't go to the cinema anymore, so I'll have to wait for the Bluray. I guess I might rewatch The Force Awakens while I'm waiting. Good things come to those who wait, they say.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2017, 02:47:52 AM »
I saw it on Sunday morning (the 8:40 showing was only about half full, but I attribute that to the time slot).

I also really, really like it upon that first viewing. I like how they play with expectations and basically not a single predication I had made for myself came true. :clap: For me this ranks high up within the Star Wars movies, at least for now I'd say its number 3 behind Star Wars and Empire Strikes Back.

There is a section in the middle of the movie which feels like they are trying to give something to the fans of the prequel trilogy and I really did not enjoy much.
(click to show/hide)

I liked this much better than Force Awakens, so at this point I am a little concerned about Episode IX, since J.J. is coming back. :hmmmm: But I can see how they let Rian Johnson outline, possibly direct a whole other trilogy.

Things I expected that did not happen (or vice versa):
(click to show/hide)

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2017, 05:19:38 AM »
I saw it on Sunday morning (the 8:40 showing was only about half full, but I attribute that to the time slot).

I also really, really like it upon that first viewing. I like how they play with expectations and basically not a single predication I had made for myself came true. :clap: For me this ranks high up within the Star Wars movies, at least for now I'd say its number 3 behind Star Wars and Empire Strikes Back.

There is a section in the middle of the movie which feels like they are trying to give something to the fans of the prequel trilogy and I really did not enjoy much.
(click to show/hide)

I liked this much better than Force Awakens, so at this point I am a little concerned about Episode IX, since J.J. is coming back. :hmmmm: But I can see how they let Rian Johnson outline, possibly direct a whole other trilogy.

Things I expected that did not happen (or vice versa):
(click to show/hide)
I also think it is one of the best Star Wars movies.  So much better than the prequels - and I liked those more than most I think..lol. 

For your spoilers..

(click to show/hide)

I really liked The Force Awakens
(click to show/hide)
too so at this point, I don't have concerns about J.J. coming back.  Though I do wonder how certain things can be dealt with given what Johnson did - or didn't do - in this one.  I've heard that Johnson was basically given free reign for this movie and told he could do whatever he wanted with the story..include what he wanted or leave out what he wanted.  Certain things may have had more..cohesion if he'd been given at least some sort of ...hmm..guidance or restriction or something. 

(click to show/hide)

Ok..I think I'm done for now. :)