Author Topic: Danae's 2012 Horror  (Read 17940 times)

Offline Danae Cassandra

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Danae's 2012 Horror
« Reply #30 on: October 25, 2012, 04:05:21 AM »

The Unexplained: Poltergeist

Year of Release:  1997
Directed By:
Starring:  no one, really
Rating:  Not Rated

Overview:
The name invokes images of vengeful spirits and brings to mind some of some of the most memorable horror movies ever made. But what is a poltergeist—is it a demon, a ghost, or perhaps the manifestation of the psychic energy of a living person?

POLTERGEIST investigates four distinct cases of paranormal incidents in where there is undeniable, physical evidence that 'something' happened: the actual world was affected. But by what? Dramatic reenactments and chilling interviews with victims illuminate the terrifiying encounters, exposing minute details. Listen as psychics and scientists grapple with the strange phenomena and journey to the sites where poltergeists are said to have appeared, from a Kentucky honky-tonk to ancient British universities.

A&E takes you beneath the surface of the unknown to present the mystery, the terror, and the enchantment of poltergeists.

My Thoughts:
This is an episode of an A&E show called The Unexplained.  It was an interesting look at four different manifestations of poltergeist phenomenon.  It tried to be fair and present the issues and phenomenon from both sides - the believers and the skeptics.  Like the History Channel program, worth a watch if you like these sorts of programs.

Bechdel Test:  N/A

Overall:  2.5/5
If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.
-- Thorin Oakenshield

Offline Danae Cassandra

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Danae's 2012 Horror
« Reply #31 on: October 29, 2012, 03:11:11 AM »

The Nightmare Before Christmas

Year of Release:  1993
Directed By:  Henry Selick
Starring:  Danny Elfman, Chris Sarandon, Catherine O'Hara, William Hickey, Glenn Shadix, Ken Page
Rated:  PG

Overview:
Now digitally restored and remastered with state-of-the-art technology, The Nightmare Before Christmas Collector's Edition is deeper, darker and more brilliant than ever – just as Tim Burton originally envisioned it – on Blu-ray Disc™!

Bored with the same old scare-and-scream routine, Pumpkin King Jack Skellington longs to spread the joy of Christmas. But his merry mission puts Santa in jeopardy and creates a nightmare for good little boys and girls everywhere!

Hear the genius of Danny Elfman's sensational music in 7.1 Surround Sound as the fantastic talents and imaginations of Tim Burton and Henry Selick come to life in stunning Hi-Def. The Nightmare Before Christmas – now even more eerie and extraordinary on Blu-ray™ High Definition!

My Thoughts:
I love this film.  I know there are two camps of folks - one that see this as a Christmas film, others that see it as a Halloween film.  I'm very definitely in the Halloween camp.  This is a stunning masterpiece of creepy gothic imagery and magnificent stop-motion animation.  Everything fits together perfectly.  Yes, it's loved by lots of Hot-Topic-worshiping wanna-be goths, but we'll forgive it that.  I gave it a 4.5 back in 2009, but I'm upgrading it this year.  I swear this film gets better every time I see it - a not-to-be-missed classic of the season.  

May I also say, in this election season, I love Halloweentown's two-faced mayor.

Bechdel Test:  Fail

Overall:  5/5
« Last Edit: October 29, 2012, 04:43:48 AM by Danae Cassandra »
If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.
-- Thorin Oakenshield