Author Topic: DSig's Short List of what I'm Watching  (Read 56181 times)

Offline DSig

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Re: DSig's Short List of what I'm Watching
« Reply #45 on: September 14, 2012, 03:38:16 PM »
What I am watchin on 13sep12 -

Movies -

Rich and Strange
'RICH AND STRANGE'  
A newly rich couple with marital problems find themselves stranded at sea after bring swindled and must rekindle their love to survive the trip home.

Complete Info

2.5 This one i really don't like.  I realize it is a very early film from Hitchcock and that it is probably much like many of the early *talkies* ... the transition from silent to talkie was more that just voice.  But I find this film and stroy line very disjointed.  I realize that this is from 1931 .. but that year brought us Franenstein, Dracula,  City Lights (still a Silent film) and the great  The Public Enemy.  This could have been better.

The Skin Game
This uncharachteristic Alfred Hitchcock endeavour was adapted by Hitchcock and his wife Alma Reville from a play by John Galworthy. The British countryside turns into an idealogical battleground when Hornblower (Edmund Gwenn) - a wealthy, self-made man - stakes his claim to a piece of valuable forest property controlled for centuries by the "landed gentry." The local squire, Mr Hillcrest (C.V. France), and his wife (Helen Haye) dig in their heels and refuse to acknowledge Hornblower's claim. How dare he use mere money to challenge the Rights of Blood? Their genteel snobbery os every but as obnoxious as Hornblower's vrash affrontery, and the result is a film with no heroes or villans. Never in any of his subsequent films did Hitchcock ever lobby so strong an attack on the smug implacibility of the aristocracy. Technically, this film is very interesting as Hitchcock experiments with new methods of camera work such as 'zip pans' - moving very quickly from per son to person - in this case during the frantic action scene.

Complete Info

2.0 The many of the shots and transitions in this one are really horrible.  Editing must have been done by Jack the Ripper.  The highlight for me is the appearance (staring role) of an young  Edmund Gwenn (well at this point he was nearly 50 years old).  Great character actor and always a fun watch.

The Sight
Michael Lewis, is a young New York asrchitect who has recently experienced a series of frightening visions and dreams. His confusion heightens when he hits an old woman who steps in front of his car. In his arms, she utters his name before dying. Amazingly, the woman visits him in the form of a spirit. While alive she had the ability to see spirits an her mission was to help them complete their unfinished business onearth before moving on to the next world. She's now passed this legacy and a number of angry spirits to Michael, the only human being to shar her unique gift. She tells Michael he must embrace these powers and start by solving the mystery of serial murderer at large. With the help of Isobel, a beautiful spirit, Michael sets out to discover the truth and catch the killer.

Complete Info (not much info)

3.5 I do like this film (made for television).  I like most things Andrew McCarthy stars in, having said that I think that this film would be good with any other *good* actor.  McCarthy first came to my attention in 1987's Mannequin (with co-stars Kim Cattrall, James Spader, and the great G.W. Baily) although having seen him in St. Elmo's Fire and Pretty in Pink before (and of course many after such as the 2 Weekend at Bernie's films.  "The Sight", being filmed in and around London (my guess is that it is a full on English crew) has a very English feel .. which lends itself well to the flavour of the story.  Spooky without getting heavy and well filmed.  Good scenes/sets and camera work.  I have see this a couple of times and this viewing renewed my thoughts on this film.

Beyond Redemption
A cop's faith is a killer's target in the ultimate tale of bloodlust and murder! Detective Henry Smith (ANDREW McCARTHY) is in charge of the hunt for a serial killer so twisted that he looks to a higher power for his evil masterwork - the systematic sacrifice of highly respected people. Equally obsessed as the serial killer he stalks, Smith defies the ultimate judgment; will he abandon the one thing he cares about in the hope of defeating his nemesis?

Complete Info.  The only review in english i could find for A Twist of Fate can be found here.

3.5 Here is another Andrew McCarthy film.  This one is also known as A Twist of Faith.  Filmed in Vancouver, Canada and released in July of 1999 in Canada (and the US?), I believe this is pretty much a direct to Video/TV film.  There seems to be a lot of "Christian"/"Catholic" leanings in this film so be ware if that is a problem for you.  This isn't one of the best films that McCarthy has been in .. but it is okay.  Problem for me is more in the storyline and direction/editing.

« Last Edit: September 14, 2012, 04:53:35 PM by DSig »
Thank you
David

Offline DSig

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 15, 2012, 01:12:19 AM »
What I am watchin on 14sep12 -

Movies -

Sabotage
Sabotage, one of famed director Alfred Hitchcock's brilliant early films, is based on the classic Joseph Conrad story"The Secret Agent". As a wave of terrorist bombings grips London in it's deadly grip, a middle class woman working at a movie theater begins to suspect that her mild mannered husband may be involved in the attacks. As she investigates, she becomes even more sure that he is the bomber. The plot unfolds with Hitchcock's signature twists, turns, and wry humor.

Complete Info

3.0 Oscar Homolka, as usual, is a great bad guy in this film, although in this one he seems to be the reluctant bad guy.  His co-star [Sylvia Sidney I really did not recognize at all.  Neither name or face .. but in reviewing her profile I find that she was well known to me .. at least for playing the part of Juno — the Maitlands' case worker in the afterlife in the great film Bettlejuice and as the crazy grandmother Florence Norris (lover of Slim Whitman music) in the great film Mars Attacks!.  Overall Sabotage is a vastly improve film over the hapless "The Skin Game" and "Rich and Strange" .. both released 5 years earlier.  Great strides in direction and editing.

Secret Agent
"Strange blend of comedy and thriller elements... one of Hitchcock's oddest films."
 - Leonard Maltin

During the first world war, novelist Edgar Brodie is sent to Switzerland by the Intelligence Service. He has to kill a German agent. During the mission he meets a fake general first and then Elsa Carrington who helps him in his duty.

Complete Info

3.5 Staring John Gielgud (although a great Shakespearean actor I will always remember him for his role as Hobson the butler in the film Arthur, Peter Lorre this being his second appearance in Hitchcock films, Madeleine Carroll her second appearance ... having just been in "39 Steps", Robert Young (probably best known for his roles in Father Knows Best and Marcus Welby, MD) and an uncredited appearance by Michael Redgrave

Young and Innocent
The young daughter of a police chief protects an escaped murder suspect in this "crisply paced, excellently performed" (The New York Times) thriller.

Complete Info

3.5 Staring Nova Pilbeam] (her second Hitchcock film), Derrick DeMarney and Percy Marmont.  The films are generally getting better and better .. story lines more coherent and direction/editing much smoother.  I do like this one very much, even though it does 'creep' a bit.  A good beginning of the Hitchcock theme of the "mistaken man" (although there was a bit of that in "Murder!".

The Lady Vanishes
The disappearance of an elderly woman during a train ride leads a baffled young woman into a dizzying web of intrigue. Directed by Alfred Hitchcock. 1938 / 94 minutes / B&W.

Complete Info

4.0 Staring Margaret Lockwood, Paul Lukas, Dame May Whitty and Michael Redgrave (who had appeared in an uncredited bit in Hitchcock's "Secret Agent".  This is a good continuation of the Hitchcock view.  Good selection of scenes and shots.  I do enjoy this one.  Margaret Lockwood is very good.  And Dame May Whitty is classic in her role of the "vanished lady".  Bravo .. this is highly recommended.  Hitchcock is really coming into his stride.

Thank you
David

Offline DSig

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 17, 2012, 03:51:01 AM »
What I am watchin on 15-16sep12 -

Movies -

Ju-On
An eerie tale of a family who is brutally killed in their own home leaving behind an evil spirit lurking in the shadows. When an unknowing homecare worker enters, the spirit is awakened and a terrifying chain of events begins, passing through all those who step foot in this dark house.

Complete Info

3.5 I have to admit that I like the "american" (not sure how this can be american when it is directed by the same Japanese director...) version The Grudge better than i liked this one.  I think the 'flow' of the american one is a little smoother.  Sometimes in Ju-On there is too much music/camera movement trying to induce the scare.  Maybe getting to redo your films is a good thing.  But it does have a lot of beautiful Japanese girls which always boosts a film :)  But if I hadn't already watched "The Grudge" a billion times this might be better.

This Island Earth
Prepare to blast off from planet Earth in one of the most popular classic sci-fi films of all time! When atomic scientist Dr. Meacham (Rex Reason) is chosen to take part in a top-secret research experiment in a remote lab, he quickly discovers that he is really involved in an evil scheme by alien Metalunans to take over Earth. After he and the gorgeous Dr. Adams (Faith Domergue) make their escape shortly before the lab explodes, they are whisked away to Metaluna, where they are blamed for the destruction. Will intersteller negotiation save the day, or will the scientists be forced to take part in a treacherous battle to the death? Featuring incredible special effects that were 2 1/2 years in the making, this is one adventure that you have to see to believe!

Complete Info

3.5 I remember seeing this when I was about 8-9 years old.  It was great then and it still is.  Of course people now would look at it and scoff at the little science that went into it, but at the time it was and to my mind a very good film.  The story is a little short in places and as I said the "correctness" of the film leaves a lot to be desired.   But it is an interesting foray into the mindset of the 50's (1955).  Staring Jeff Morrow as the "Metaluna" Exeter, Faith Domergue as the busty scientist Dr. Ruth Adams and Rex Reason (you have got to love that real name) as the brilliant scientest Dr. Cal Meacham.  This film also has Russell Johnson as the 'hapless' Steve Carlson who gets blown up with a "death ray".

Although this is a cheesy 50's sci-fi film i enjoy it very much.  If you like the genre you should watch it.

Invaders from Mars
This is it! The original 20th century landmark science fiction thriller that played on the paranoia and communist threat invading Atomic Age America in the 1950s.

A young boy is awakened during a storm to witness a flying saucer land in the field behind his home. No one will believe his story as, one by one, the townspeople are captured and put under the control of sinister forces from the planet Mars.

Brilliantly created by visionary set designer and director William Cameron Menzies (designer of Gone with the Wind and H.G. Wells' Things to Come) with a haunting musical score by Raoul Kraushaar. Surreal imagery brought to terrifying life in a Cinecolor world just beyond our nightmares!

Complete Info

3.5 Another great film from the 50's (1953), filmed during the height of the second red scare this film has all the pointers needed to remind us that we are constantly under attack from within.  This film stars as the boy David Maclean, as the beautiful Dr. Pat Blake, MD, as Dr. Stuart Kelston who figures it all out and Leif Erickson maybe best remembered as 'Big John Cannon' on the TV series The High Chaparral.  I still really like this one.  I think the only bits that don't hold up well are those of the 'martians' and inside the ship/caves.  The rest still has it's tension with good filming.  Once again .. if you like the genre and period this is a good film.

Year of the Gun
The master of the political thriller, John Frankenheimer (The Manchurian Candidate), has done it again – this time focusing his astute lens on Rome in the late seventies, a time in which the classical city is rocked by political unrest.

American journalist David Raybourne (Andrew McCarthy) has arrived in Rome to write a political best seller about The Red Brigade, a militant left-wing group terrorizing Italy.  When a daring photojournalist (Sharon Stone) believes Raybourne's book to be a piece of non-fiction... the manuscript falls tragically into the wrong hands.

Now fictional characters named after Raybourne's closest friends and colleagues suddenly become real enemies of both the terrorists and the police.  Accused of knowing too much, Raybourne's real problem is that he knows too little about the politics of Rome, about the secret lives of his friends and about the loyalties of his lovers.

Complete Info

3.0 This film stars Andrew McCarthy with the very beautiful Valeria Golino boy I wish she was in more films, Sharon Stone (no where near as classy as Valeria Golino) and John Pankovw (who for me is always out of his depth no matter what part he plays.  I picked up this one to fill in some McCarthy in my collection.  I had not seen it before.  I like the film .. but at times it seems too complicated .. too John Frankenheimerish.  Maybe it is the script .. maybe the directing and editing.  But this film lacks something for me.

As for the acting .. I like McCarthy in this but I don't think it is his best work.  During the film Stone gives her usual "..i'll do you for a quarter" character while Golino smolders on the screen.  The sex scene between McCarthy and Stone is horrible.  First few seconds shows them banging against the door, then from the back of the couch you see here knees up in the air and no McCarthy and finally on a bed with her on her hands and knees grasping bed sheets.  This great love scene takes all of about 20 seconds.  The scene with McCarthy and Golino just lying in bed has more heat.

Over all I will watch this again (probably have to since it is now in my collection :) but wouldn't necessarily recommend this.

Dark Water (or Honogurai Mizu no Soko kara)
Yoshimi simply wanted a better life — for both herself and her daughter Ikuko. Unfortunately, such wishes may sometimes be hard to come by. The custody battle for her daughter has grown embittered and hurtful, her new job is less than desirable, and Ikuko's schoolwork as taken a turn for the worse. But, Yoshimi has something bigger to worry about. Something upstairs. Something cold and dank. Something that should have never been.

Complete Info

3.5 Staring Hitomi Kuroki as Yoshimi Matsubara (the heroine in the film), Rio Kanno as Ikuko her daughter.  Kuroki does a good job but seems 'hapless' in dealing with the things going on around her.  She doesn't seem as 'emotional' or 'involved' in what is going on.  In the 2005 remake Dark Water Jennifer Connelly plays the part more damaged and falls apart during the experiences.  I think this rendition is more emotional and tense.

Also, and this is just a small bit, if you listen to the English track along with the English subtitles they are usually different .. and not in a good way.  I never understand this especially when the English audio track is usually so lame.  Guess that is why i normally just prefer the base language of the film and subtitles.

All in all this is a good film .. i just think the remake was better.  Still, I do recommended this version.

Jesse Stone: Night Passage
Emmy® and Golden Globe® Award winner Tom Selleck (Three Men and a Baby, TV’s “Magnum P.I.”) reprises his starring role as police chief Jesse Stone in this prequel to the hit telefilm “Stone Cold,” based on the best-selling Jesse Stone murder/mystery novels by Robert B. Parker.

Following his divorce and the loss of his job as a homicide detective with the LAPD, Stone travels across the country to Paradise, Massachusetts, a small and seemingly quiet New England town where he is recruited by the town’s board of selectmen to become the new Chief of Police.  But things are not quite so heavenly in Paradise, as Stone starts off his first day on the job investigating a domestic abuse case that least to a money-laundering scheme possibly involving bank manager Hasty Hathaway (Saul Robbins, Unforgiven, The Contender) - one of the men responsible for hiring Stone.  Stephen Baldwin and Stephanie March co-star.

Will town officials be able to stop Stone from digging too deep into their dirty secrets, or will Stone and his dedicated police force be able to unearth a deadly cover-up in “Night Passage?”

Complete Info (novel) - TV Film

3.5 This was the first Jessie Stone novel written by Robert B. Parker novel written but it was the second film in the made-for-TV series.  The first was film done was Stone Cold although the book Stone Cold was actually the 4th book in the series.

In "Stone Cold" we are introduced to Jessie Stone and begin to see the baggage he carries (all of Parker's characters are somewhat baggage ridden).  He and his dog Boomer travel from L.A. to Paradise, Massachusetts in the hopes of a new life.

Although all of the films are out of sequence with the books, I don't think that causes a problem with enjoyment of the films, although it is probably better if you meet the character first before being thrown into his story :-).

Tom Selleck, I think, was born for this role.  I like a lot of stuff he does but this role seems to fit better than most.  I have read many of the Jessie Stone novels and although physically he is bigger than the character .. more imposing .. I think in all other ways he plays the role to perfection.  Selleck has the ability to give straight 'tough guy' lines with a bit of humor or sarcasm that gives it good character.

I recommend this series to anyone who like crime dramas.  It isn't rocket science .. but it is good fun.  And watching them in the order they were produced causes no problems.  I would also suggest the series of novels.

Oh .. yeah .. the one thing I don't like is that every 20 minutes or so there is a break .. just where the commercials go .. sigh .. i wish they could figure a better way to do it.  At least it doesn't happen during some action.

Jesse Stone: Death in Paradise
Emmy® and Golden Globe® Award winner Tom Selleck (Three Men and a Baby, TV’s “Magnum P.I.”) returns as police chief Jesse Stone in another thrilling chapter in the “Stone Cold” series based on the best-selling Jesse Stone murder/mystery novels by Robert B. Parker.

Settling into his role as the new Chief of Police in the town of Paradise, Massachusetts, Stone investigates the brutal murder of a troubled teenage girl found floating in a local lake.  He soon discovers that she was once a straight-A student, but somehow wound up on a path of self-destruction, leading to her early demise.  With hardly any clues, the case leads the former LAPD cop to the city, where the local Boston mob does not respond too kindly to him.  To make matters worse, he must also deal with a case of domestic violence that ultimately turns deadly, while struggling with his ongoing alcoholism, his ex-wife, and truly disastrous love life.

As Stone learns more about the girl’s unhappy past, he begins to suspect that the affluent world of Boston might be involved and increasingly becomes obsessed with the case.  Persistent in his determination to bring the killer to justice, Stone will do whatever it takes to finally solve this “Death in Paradise.”

Complete Info

3.5 Another great Jessie Stone film staring Tom Selleck.  Not a lot of action (a warning to those junkies) but a good deal of time developing the story and pondering on human nature.

Another one to recommend to crime film buffs.

Thank you
David

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 17, 2012, 04:00:56 AM »
If I were you I would wait for watching horror movies... You're new so you probably don't know but each year in october we have our annual horror movie marathon in wich we watch and review horror movies everyday during that month (at least Pete and me since we are kind of crazy...).

Of course you're the boss of yourself but if you wait 2 more weeks you'll get the chance to enter and break your own record every years ;D  

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 17, 2012, 06:15:48 AM »
Dark Water (or Honogurai Mizu no Soko kara)

[...]

Also, and this is just a small bit, if you listen to the English track along with the English subtitles they are usually different .. and not in a good way.  I never understand this especially when the English audio track is usually so lame.  Guess that is why i normally just prefer the base language of the film and subtitles.
The ones that match the English track are usually referred to as "dubtitles" and not prefered. The subtitles should first and foremost convey the actual meaning of the original soundtrack. When they try to get proper lip syncing they usually have to change some words, occasionally even changing the meaning of what is being said. Of course, in an ideal world the disc would provide sub- and dubtitles.

On a side note: I had a funny subtitle mismatch once. The actor on screen was saying "Yes", but the subtitle said "No".  :stars: But when I rewatched the film I specifically paid attaention to the wording of subtitles and found that the German way the sentences were build simply required the person to give the seemingly opposite response.

Offline DSig

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 19, 2012, 04:38:51 PM »
What I am watchin on 17sep12 -

Okay .. Back to the Alfred Hitchcock films ...

Movies -

Jamaica Inn
Among his wide range of skills, Hitchcock had an ability to spot raw talent. This was precisely the case with Maureen O'Hara, who plays an orphan girl living on the rugged coast of Ireland. After several vessels smash on the deadly rocks, she begins to suspect it's more than accidental.

A young Irish orphan girl discovers the inn where she is staying with her aunt is the headquarters for a band of murderous land pirates. Based on the novel by Daphne du Maurier.

Complete Info

3.0 Staring the great Charles Laughton (4 years after Laughton's performances in Les Misérables and Mutiny on the Bounty both in 1935), Maureen O'Hara (at 19 years of age .. the same year she did The Hunchback of Notre Dame also with Charles Laughton) and Emlyn Williams. This story is from the book Jamaica Inn written by Daphne du Maurier.  This is the first of 3 stories from the young author and turned to film by Hitchcock.  The others are Rebecca and The Birds.

Although this is a very good drama, it is not very "thrilling".  Story is good and acting is good.  Direction and sets seem very nice.  It is 'important' in the catalog of Hitchcock films to me, mainly as moving the craft of story telling along.

This was the last British picture of the period for Hitchcock as he moved to Hollywood after the film.  It is not considered one of his best films but it was financially his best.

Rebecca
Laurence Olivier, Joan Fontaine and Judith Anderson headline this Best Picture Oscar® Winner* based on Daphne Du Manner's novel about a man's fatal obsession with his late wife.

*1940: Best Picture, Cinematography (B&W)

Complete Info

3.5 Hitchcocks first American film, this is an excellent portent of things to come.  Staring the great Laurence Olivier,
Joan Fontaine who will follow this up in the following year with "Suspicion", the classy George Sanders and
Judith Anderson as the brutal Mrs. Danvers.  The film also has Nigel Bruce who will also be in "Suspicion" in the next year and Leo G. Carroll .. one of six Hitchcock films.

This film is very good as it continues to show the growth of Hitchcock as a director.  The story line is solid and little problems.  I like most all of the transitions and really enjoyed the performances.

Invasion of the Body Snatchers
Something evil has taken possession of the small town of Santa Mira, California. Hysterical people accuse their loved ones of being emotionless imposters; of not being themselves. At first, Dr. Miles Bennell (Kevin McCarthy) tries to convince them they're wrong...but they're not. Plant-like extraterrestrials have invaded Earth, replicating the villagers in giant seed "pods" and taking possession of their souls while they sleep. Soon the entire town is overwhelmed by the inhuman horror, but it won't stop there. In a terrifying race for his life, Dr. Bennell escapes to warn the world of the deadly invasion of the pod people!

Remade in both 1978 and 1997, this chilling combination of extraterrestrial terror and anti-conformity paranoia is considered one of the great cult classics of the genre.

Complete Info

4.5 This is the ORIGINAL .. accept no substitues.  Staring Kevin McCarthy, Dana Wynter, Larry Gates, King Donovan .. what a great name and with the beautiful Carolyn Jones.

As i said .. this IS the original.  Possibly the greatest of the sci-films of the period where the underlying theme of conformity was projected. Funny that many consider this an indicted on McCarthyism which clearly rocked the U.S. from 1950-1954 .. including the famous Hollywood Blacklist.  Of course a funny bit of trivia is that Kevin McCarthy is a distant relative of the great U.S. Idiot Joseph McCarthy.

Filmed in just 23 days and with a budget of 382K this is a remarkable bit of film.  In 1956 (year of release) the film took in just over 2.5 Million dollars in the U.S. alone.  Although not heralded at the time of release, "Invasion of the Body Snatchers" has become regarded as one of the great in its genre.

Weekend at Bernie's
Andrew McCarthy and Jonathan Silverman team up in the drop-dead comedy of the year, WEEKEND AT BERNIE'S. The pair star as ambitious young employees who accidentally uncover an embezzlement scam in their company. Bernie (Terry Kiser), their boss, rewards their efforts by inviting them to his beachside pleasure palace for the weekend. When the boys arrive, they find that Bernie has been bumped off. But even a stiff won't stop this party. Aided by the charms of Gwen (Catherine Mary Stewart), the boys make quite a splash as they dodge bullets, babes and bodies in the wackiest, wildest weekend of their lives.

Complete Info

3.5 I love this film.  Staring Andrew McCarthy, Jonathan Silverman (loved his 2009 bit in the TV show Psych playing Lyin' Ryan in the episode Truer Lies), Catherin Mary Stewart and as Bernie the brilliant Terry Kiser.

This is the first of 2 films but this is definitely the best (although i enjoy the second one Weekend at Bernie's II.  Although there are many funny bits in the script and acting, the best bit is the acting of Terry Kiser as Bernie'.

Thank you
David

Offline DSig

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 19, 2012, 08:06:25 PM »
If I were you I would wait for watching horror movies... You're new so you probably don't know but each year in october we have our annual horror movie marathon in wich we watch and review horror movies everyday during that month (at least Pete and me since we are kind of crazy...).

Of course you're the boss of yourself but if you wait 2 more weeks you'll get the chance to enter and break your own record every years ;D  

Thanks for that .. I did know but I have so few, as I am not a big horror/slasher guy, I  just figured I would leave that competition to the great ones :-O
Thank you
David

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 19, 2012, 09:03:25 PM »
This isn't a competition, we don't know such a word around here :laugh:

It's just a fun thing we do for a month at our rythm... Like we said often in the past "We have no rules around here", so you can watch one, ten, hundred or thousand of film in october and it's an horror marathon as long as you rate them in the marathon topic ;D

I will open the two marathon threads somewhere next week (probably friday) :shrug:
« Last Edit: September 19, 2012, 09:05:43 PM by Jimmy »

Offline Piffi

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 19, 2012, 09:10:24 PM »
October is one of my favourite months of the year!
Looking forward to my horrorfest (as i call it) And i'm looking real forward to reading your guys horror reviews! :)
We'll Always Have Paris.

Thomas

Offline DSig

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 20, 2012, 04:53:44 PM »
What I am watchin on 18sep12 -

Movies -

Foreign Correspondent
The wind blows one way but the windmill turns another. To a group of Fifth Columnists, it's a signal. It also signals to an intrepid American reporter that he's stumbled across the biggest story in prewar Europe.

Foreign Correspondent is prime Alfred Hitchcock, a showcase of the director's best cinematic tricks and executed on a grand scale. An 80-foot windmill, a 10-acre facsimile of Amsterdam Square used to stage a stunning rain-soaked assassination scene and an airship with a 120-foot wingspan for a still-amazing sea-crash sequence are some of the massive sets in this gripping spy yarn. Joel McCrea, Laraine Day, Herbert Marshall, George Sanders and Robert Benchley headline this nominee for six 1940 Academy Awards®, including Best Picture.

Complete Info

3.5 Staring Joel McCrea, Laraine Day, Herbert Marshall, George Sanders and with Edmund Gwenn ... poor old Edmund Gween .. it was a long fall.

With the continuing worries in Europe about Germany this film definitly highlights the feelings of the time.  Good story line and for its time very well filmed.  When the survivor of the crash, looking through the binoculars says ".. it's alright it's American ..".  Well recommended.

Suspicion
Well-to-do wallflower Lina McLaidlaw is in love, perhaps in danger. She suspects that Johnnie Aysgarth, the playboy who swept into her life and married her, is a murderer - and that she is his next intended victim.

Alfred Hitchcock's Suspicion shyly combines romance, mystery and atmospheric flourishes (like an eerie, glowing glass of milk, an effect achieved with a light bulb inside the glass). Joan Fontaine plays vulnerable, nerve-wracked Lina, following her acclaimed work in Hitchcock's Rebecca with a striking performance that won the Academy Award® and New York Film Critics Award as 1941's Best Actress. Playing against type, Cary Grant makes Johnnie an imposing charmer, wastrel and cad. But also a killer? Like the glass that may or may not contain poison, Johnnie's words and deeds may or may not be laced with menace.

Complete Info

3.5 Staring the ever classy Joan Fontaine, again the great Cary Grant, Sir Cedric Hardwicke and with Nigel Bruce and Dame May whitty.

I like this one very much.  It is nice to see the shifty near evil side of Cary Grant.  Funny how the RKO studio demanded changing the script because in the original version Cary Grant kills Joan Fontaine.  Didn't want to sully the reputation of one of their biggest stars.

Again this film shows the growth of vision and talent of Alfred Hitchcock.  This begins a series of really fine films.

The Unborn
Enter a world of unrelenting evil as terror finds a new form in The Unborn. From the producers of The Texas Chainsaw Massacre and the co-writer of The Dark Knight comes this shocking supernatural thriller about a young woman (Odette Yustman) plagued by chilling dreams and tortured by a demonic ghost that haunts her waking hours. Her only hope to break the debilitating paranormal curse is in an exorcism with spiritual advisor Sendak (Gary Oldman). See what lies beyond the doorway of our world in this non-stop nightmare of the undead…

Complete Info

3.5Staring Odette Yustman who portrays the character well in the obligatory shower and underware scenes, Gary Oldman (wasn't he great as DEA agent Stansfield in ), Meagan Good and Atticus Shaffer who was great in this and excellent in the TV series The Middle.  A really creapy little dude.

To me (not being an expert in horror genre) this has all the creepy bits needed for a very good and effective horror film.  The script goes along quite well .. the characters .. well there is the creapy female survivor of Auschwitz telling her own horror story, and the Rabbi (Oldman), a secret sacred text and of course an exorcism.  What more do you need?  People and animals walking around with heads upside down .. reminds me of the Exorcist.

And again, there is Odette .. whether in the shower, in her underware, strapped down and struggling ever so nicely .. she is a good screamer :-)

The filming is dark and gothic. And it kept my attention.  I like this one very much.

Thank you
David

Offline Piffi

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 20, 2012, 05:33:12 PM »
Like you review on "The Unborn" just bought that on blu for my horrorfest!  :bag:
Remember i watched when it first came out, but dont remember much of it. But i think i remember i liked a lot :)
We'll Always Have Paris.

Thomas

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #56 on: September 21, 2012, 05:53:41 AM »
The horror marathon is fun.  I was just thinking about that earlier today.  I don't manage to watch as much as Pete and Jimmy, but I have fun.  And I've ended up watching a lot of movies I probably wouldn't have.  Because of Jimmy posting about a lot of the Roger Corman movies, I picked up some and really enjoyed.  I'll probably try to get more at some point too.

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 21, 2012, 06:20:31 AM »
The horror marathon is fun.  I was just thinking about that earlier today.
Just today :stars:

The banners for my thread and the marathon discussion thread are done since last week and I know already wich films I will watch in my marathon already :laugh:

Not that it isn't that hard to decide as I got many of them since I've watch my last horror films in the middle of may :whistle:

Offline DSig

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 21, 2012, 05:06:53 PM »
What I am watchin on 19sep12 -

Movies -

Saboteur
Alfred Hitchcock's exciting 1942 war-time thriller stars Robert Cummings as a Los Angeles aircraft factory worker who witnesses his plant's firebombing by a Nazi agent. During the deadly explosion, Cumming's best friend is killed and he, himself, is wrongly accused of sabotage. To clear his name, Cummings begins a relentless cross-country chase that takes him from Boulder Dam to New York's Radio City Music Hall, and finally, to a harrowing confrontation atop the Statue of Liberty.

Hitchcock's first film with an all-American cast moves with breakneck speed towards its spine-tingling climax to create a riveting masterpiece of suspense.

Complete Info

3.5 Staring Robert Cummings who will be back in Alfred Hitchcocks Dial M for Murder in 1954, Priscilla Lane who plays  Elaine Harper Brewster in the wonderful Arsenic and Old Lace, Norman Lloyd and Otto Kruger as a great bad guy.

Good story line, for the times.  All bits fit well in this movie .. effects (though this was 1941), acting, cinematography and editing.  I like this one and think it is a necessary bit for Hitchcock lovers.

Shadow of a Doubt
When Uncle Charlie comes to visit his relatives in the sleepy town of Santa Rosa, the foundation is laid for one of his most engaging and suspenseful excursions. Joseph Cotton stars as the charming Uncle Charlie, a beguiling killer who travels from Philadelphia to California just one step ahead of the law.

But soon his unknowing niece and namesake, "Young Charlie" (Teresa Wright), begins to suspect her uncle of being the Merry Widow murderer, and a deadly game of cat-and-mouse begins. As his niece draws closer to the truth, the psychopathic killer has no choice but to plot the death of his favorite relative in one of Hitchcock's most riveting psychological thrillers.

Complete Info

4.0 Staring Teresa Wright, Joseph Cotten, Macdonald Carey and with Henry Travers best remembered for his role as the angel Clarence Odbody in It's a Wonderful Life and Hume Cronyn.

This was the 4th film for Teresa Wright with the other 3 being big.  The film done the year before was Pride of the Yankies.  She received an Academy Award nomination for Best Actress in a Leading Role.  She should have won that one and should have been nominated for this film.  Joseph Cotton was brilliant as the serial killer uncle.

I have always like this film and think that it is one of Hitchcocks best works.  A strong recommend for this one.

Spellbound
"THE SECRET RECESSES OF THE MIND are explored with brilliant and terrifying effect" (New York Herald Tribune) in this fascinating psychological thriller from ALFRED HITCHCOCK. Featuring powerful performances from INGRID BERGMAN and GREGORY PECK, this masterpiece of mystery, romance and suspence boasts an OSCAR®-Winning score by Miklos Rozsa* and a HAUNTING DREAM SEQUENCE BY SALVADOR DALÍ.

Dr. Constance Peterson (Bergman) is a dedicated psychiatrist who puts all her passion into her work - until she falls in love with Dr. Edwardes (Peck). Unfortunately, it soon becomes clear that Edwardes is an impostor - an amnesiac - who may or may not be a cold-blooded murderer. Pursued by the police, Constance must decide whether to turn in her MYSTERIOUS LOVER... or risk her life by trying to UNLOCK THE DARK SECRETS IN HIS MIND.

*1945: Dramatic or Comedy Picture

Complete Info

4.0 Staring the beautiful Ingrid Bergman .. can you ever forget how she broke Bogies heart?, Gregory Peck probably best known for his roles in To Kill a Mocking Bird and Moby Dick, Michael Chekhov and again Leo G. Carrol.

This mixture of romantic and thriller .. more so than many other films.  There is a great feeling in this film .. very dark and foreboding. 

This is another of my favorite Hitchcock films.

Thank you
David

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #59 on: September 21, 2012, 06:07:03 PM »
Are you working through a Hitchcock box set or just on a sort of mini-marathon? Either way, always enjoy reading people thoughts on his movies.