Author Topic: Amazing Spider-Man  (Read 7013 times)

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
Amazing Spider-Man
« on: July 10, 2012, 08:43:36 AM »
The Amazing Spider-Man

I went to see The Amazing Spider-Man a few days ago.  I think the reboot works overall, though in some ways, it still seems a little soon for it.

The plot is interesting and entertaining, though it does cover some of the same ground as the first Raimi Spider-Man, showing how Peter gets bitten by a spider and gets new abilities.  He has to deal with the Lizard instead of the Green Goblin and his love interest is Gwen Stacy instead of Mary Jane.  I don't know much about those characters and it was a little weird for Mary Jane to not be in the movie.  I do like Gwen, and in some ways, she seems like a stronger character.  It's just different.  A little more background about Peter's parents is shared.  I don't remember learning anything about them before this.  I like that there is a bit more about them.  There is still a lot of mystery surrounding them and I'm thinking more will come out in future movies.  The Lizard is an interesting, and even somewhat sympathetic villain, though still, in some way, less impressive than Doc Ock or Green Goblin.  Aunt May is a little younger and bit more feisty..and there is some tension between her and Peter.  Uncle Ben still talks to Peter about responsibility, though in a different way.  The action is fine. The movie isn't too violent, though Peter ends up battered, bloody, and bruised more than once.  That is probably more realistic since his spandex outfit doesn't offer much in the way of protection.  I did see the movie in 3D.  It was fine.  The movie is more serious overall I think.  There are a few little things that add humor, but Peter didn't make as many wisecracks as he did in the other movies..or like he does in the comic books.

The characters and actors do well with their parts, though Garfield does seem a tad old for the age of Peter in the movie.  This time, he remains in high school through the whole movie.  Gwen and Peter start a relationship, though really, not much is shown.  They hardly speak at school, and then they are making out and Peter is telling her he's Spider-Man.  She isn't the only one who finds that out either.  I know in the comics, Peter went public at Spider-Man in that whole registration storyline, but it is too soon in the story for these movies for people to know.  It just doesn't seem right.
(click to show/hide)

Peter and Gwen's relationship is fine, though it doesn't get as developed.  There is just a little something missing from that part of the story. 

I did like the movie overall, though there are a few issues with it.  The movie is worth seeing.  Some things are being set up for the next movie.  I have a few ideas already of what might be coming.

I did get a review posted on Epinions if anyone wants to take a look.

The Amazing Spider-Man

Rogmeister

Re: Amazing Spider-Man
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2012, 01:06:12 PM »
Thanks for the review...I haven't decided yet if I'll go see it.  I will probably see The Dark Knight Rises and have already seen The Avengers so 3 super-hero movies in one summer may be a bit much.  For the record, I think Gwen Stacy showed up in the comics before Mary Jane did.

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2012, 06:30:14 PM »
For the record, I think Gwen Stacy showed up in the comics before Mary Jane did.

Yes. I haven't read any of the Spider-Man comic myself, but this is what I have read so far.
Mary Jane was there before Gwen in the Ultimate Spider-Man storyline though, on which the Sam Raimi Spider-Man is mostly based on.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2012, 08:03:25 PM »
I've learned that Gwen was around first and Peter's high school love in at least some of the comics.  Everything else I've seen - mostly the cartoons I saw growing up - had Peter with Mary Jane, so that is really all I've known since I haven't read the comics.  That makes it a little odd for me..not bad..just odd.

I plan to see The Dark Knight Rises too..and I saw The Avengers.  So far, I think Avengers is better.  Dark Knight Rises is going to be different ...darker and more serious, but I'll still see it.

Rogmeister

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2012, 02:55:14 AM »
Speaking of super-heroes, today I ordered a couple Supergirl books through Amazon from a seller named Dragonfire...is that you?

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2012, 05:56:20 AM »
No.  I haven't sold anything through Amazon..or ebay.

Rogmeister

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2012, 03:04:41 PM »
Well, this coincidence got me to send some business someone's way...  :2cents:

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2012, 03:41:15 AM »
I hope you like the books you got.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2012, 05:22:00 PM »
I plan to see The Dark Knight Rises too..and I saw The Avengers.  So far, I think Avengers is better.  Dark Knight Rises is going to be different ...darker and more serious, but I'll still see it.
I have seen the latest trailer or The Dark Night Rises today (not necessarily a new one). They are sure selling this film in a weird way. It opens with several action shots, mixed with people, yet no actual sound and very slow emotional music. :headscratch: Well, making it yet again different would be a good approach, I guess.

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2012, 06:03:32 PM »
It opens with several action shots, mixed with people, yet no actual sound and very slow emotional music. :headscratch:
Not the best way to sell a movie to Pete if he see that trailer :laugh:

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2012, 11:29:40 PM »
It opens with several action shots, mixed with people, yet no actual sound and very slow emotional music. :headscratch:

That is a good point.   :laugh:

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2012, 06:17:23 AM »
I see how my post would make you think that, but the music was really inobtrusive, I don't think even Pete would have minded...

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2012, 06:17:06 AM »
I just saw a new tv ad for The Dark Knight...and there have been 1 or 2 other new ones in the last week.

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2012, 11:40:52 PM »
Just came back from Spidey. It was OK, but I still like the old first one better.

Some fans complained about the old first movie that the way the story was told Spideys powers were reproducible. Well if not back then, then certainly now, because they didn't have just one freak spider but hundreds.

The lizzard was OK, too. But I did not like that they rehashed the same idea as with Green Goblin, i.e. him hearing his own voice.

And I don't know how much after the main events the last classroom scene was but given what happened it seemed a bit disrespectful to actively hint at ignoring
(click to show/hide)
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2012, 07:00:15 AM »
Just came back from Spidey. It was OK, but I still like the old first one better.

Some fans complained about the old first movie that the way the story was told Spideys powers were reproducible. Well if not back then, then certainly now, because they didn't have just one freak spider but hundreds.

The lizzard was OK, too. But I did not like that they rehashed the same idea as with Green Goblin, i.e. him hearing his own voice.

And I don't know how much after the main events the last classroom scene was but given what happened it seemed a bit disrespectful to actively hint at ignoring
(click to show/hide)

I don't remember hearing that people complained about his powers being reproducible in the first movie. I do remember people being ticked off because of the web shooters being organic instead of something Peter designed himself.
I didn't even think about the fact that someone else could get bitten because of all those other spiders there.
(click to show/hide)

I did think about that with Lizard sort of cracking up and hearing his own voice like Norman did.  I just forgot to mention it in my review.  You would think they could come up with something at least a little different to show that Connors wasn't in control of what was happening.

Did you see the extra scene in the credits?