Author Topic: The Movies from Within My Lifetime: 2012 Edition  (Read 35274 times)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
The Movies from Within My Lifetime: 2012 Edition
« on: December 29, 2011, 10:39:20 AM »
The Movies from Within My Lifetime
2012 Edition
This is the thread where I will be writing all my reviews. I personally prefer going in chronological order... so that is what I will most likely be doing again this year. As I get to each year I will list the movies I own to show what I have to choose from. I will put the titles I never seen before in BOLD. So you can make recommendations for that year if you want. I won't guarantee it will be the title I watch as mood for the movie has a lot to do with it too. And you may need to be fairly fast with your recommendations as well... as there is times I will watch 2 or 3 movies back to back. But I will try to remember to let you know when I already have a title in mind to watch for that year. So it is time to start the fun....

Titles in BOLD are movies I never seen.
- Attack of the Monsters
- Blood of Dracula's Castle
- Destroy All Planets
- Dracula vs. Frankenstein
- Easy Rider
- Nightmare in Wax
- Over the Hill Gang
- Topaz
- True Grit
- The Wild Bunch

Not sure what I will watch for 1969... but whatever it is has to be better the last year's choice of Blood of Dracula's Castle!
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Re: The Movies from Within My Lifetime: 2012 Edition
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2011, 05:41:09 PM »
     Easy Rider: Special Edition: 30th Anniversary (1969/United States)

Columbia TriStar Home Video
Director:Dennis Hopper
Writing:Peter Fonda (Writer), Dennis Hopper (Writer), Terry Southern (Writer)
Length:95 min.
Rating:R
Video:Anamorphic Widescreen 1.85:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, English: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround, Commentary: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles:Chinese, English, Korean, Portuguese, Spanish, Thai

Stars:
Peter Fonda as Wyatt
Dennis Hopper as Billy
Antonio Mendoza as Jesus
Phil Spector as Connection
Mac Mashourian as Bodyguard
Warren Finnerty as Rancher

Plot:
Experience the real, uncensored '60s counterculture in this compelling mixture of drugs, sex and armchair politics. Academy Award™-winner Jack Nicholson (Best Actor, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, 1975; Best Supporting Actor, Terms of Endearment, 1983; Best Actor, As Good As It Gets, 1997) stars with Peter Fonda and Dennis Hopper (who also directs) in this unconventional classic which Time magazine hails as "one of the ten most important pictures of the decade."

Nominated for an Academy Award™ (1969) for Best Screenplay (written by Peter Fonda, Dennis Hopper and Terry Southern) EASY RIDER continues to touch a chord with audiences of all ages.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Audio Commentary
  • Feature Trailers
  • Featurettes
  • Gallery
  • Production Notes
  • Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
I been a bit curios about this title... heard a lot of good things about it over the years... so thought it was about time to check it out. According to IMDB this was  released in the US in July of '69. So I was about 2 months old at the time. So needless to say this movie is not one that portrays a time that I am really familiar with. While I did find it to be an interesting piece... it seemed more slow to me then anything else. I mean not so bad that it made it hard to watch. But it seemed like I was waiting forever for something to start happening. About an hour into it I realized this is not that type of movie... and stopped waiting for anything big to happen. And then the final moments of the movie hit... and I was like... huh? Where did that come from? This isn't a film I could see myself watch often... but I could see myself watching it again.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2011, 05:47:05 PM »
Titles in BOLD are movies I never seen.
- Black Brigade
- Bloodthirsty Butchers
- Cry Blood Apache
- The Dunwich Horror
- An Evening with Edgar Allen Poe
- Flesh Feast
- How Awful About Allen
- Love Story
- M*A*S*H
- Beneath the Planet of the Apes
- Rio Lobo

Last year for this marathon I watched Love Story... which I gave a 3 star rating to. Hopefully this year's title will be a little better to me. But really don't have any idea what I am in the mood to see out of the above list.
Pete

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2011, 05:55:00 PM »
Being much older than you Pete  :P Easy Rider was a film that resonated much more for me. It really illustrates a small piece of reality about those times.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2011, 06:02:51 PM »
Well... see now Kathy... I wouldn't know!  :tease:
Pete

Najemikon

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2011, 06:21:31 PM »
Rio Lobo, Pete.  :thumbup: I would think you will enjoy it a great deal. Howard Hawks made Rio Bravo, remade it himself as Eldorado and then remade it again as Rio Lobo! By this point the story had changed a lot more, but why did he keep remaking it? To recapture that wonderful Rio Bravo camaraderie, and he doesn't fail.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2012, 04:31:15 PM »
All this time has passed... and I just can't get in the mood for any of the movies I have from 1970. So I finally decided to do this year's out of order... or I may never get this year done and over with.  :bag:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2012, 02:27:55 PM »
     Employee of the Month: Widescreen (2006/United States)

Director:Greg Coolidge
Writing:Greg Coolidge (Screenwriter), Don Calame (Screenwriter), Chris Conroy (Screenwriter)
Length:108 min.
Rating:Rated PG-13 : Crude and Sexual Humor, and Language
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, English: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo, Commentary: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles:English, Spanish

Stars:
Dane Cook as Zak
Jessica Simpson as Amy
Dax Shepard as Vince
Andy Dick as Lon
Tim Bagley as Glen Gary
Brian George as Iqbal

Plot:
For years Zack Bradley (Dane Cook) has been working hard at hardly working at the local Super Club. That's until a hottie named Amy (Jessica Simpson) becomes the new cashier. After discovering she's willing to date the next guy to become "Employee of the Month", Zack takes on current titleholder (Dax Shepard) in a super-smackdown to see who will win the honor – and Amy's heart – in this outrageous comedy that proves you can't succeed at life and love till you get your shift together.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Audio Commentary
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Featurettes
  • Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
I went into this movie with rather low expectations. For one reason I never been much of a fan of Dane Cook. Though I did enjoy Good Luck Chuck quite a bit. Then there is Jessica Simpson. I have nothing against her... but I only seen her in a couple things before this so pretty unfamiliar with her. Though I never cared much for her looks... as I never was much for the blonde "barbie doll" type girls. So just looking at her don't impress me all that much. But I have had this odd curiosity about this movie since the first time I ever saw the trailer for it. So I was pretty happy when I got this one in the last box of free DVDs that was given to me. Surprisingly I enjoyed this one more then I thought I would. There was a good handful of laugh out loud moments... especially in the beginning. And even Dane Cook didn't bother me in this movie. I couldn't... and still can't see all the fuss over Jessica Simpson. But she did a pretty good job in this one. I kept going back and forth on how I wanted to rate this one... In the end it was enough fun to just barely get a 4 star rating, IMO.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2012, 05:36:15 PM »
     Bend It Like Beckham: Widescreen Edition (2002/United Kingdom)

Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment
Director:Gurinder Chadha
Writing:Gurinder Chadha (Writer), Guljit Bindra (Writer), Paul Mayeda Berges (Writer)
Length:112 min.
Rating:Rated PG-13 : Language and Some Sexual Situations
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround, French: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Commentary: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround

Stars:
Parminder Nagra as Jesminder 'Jess' Bhamra
Keira Knightley as Juliette 'Jules' Paxton
Jonathan Rhys-Meyers as Joe
Anupam Kher as Mr. Bhamra
Archie Panjabi as Pinky Bhamra
Shaznay Lewis as Mel

Plot:
Sometimes, to follow your dreams... you've got to bend the rules! Audiences and critics alike are cheering wildly for this "exhilarating...terrific comedy" (Entertainment Weekly) about a young girl who is torn between adhering to family traditions and attaining super-stardom on the soccer field. Hailed as the year's must-see crowd pleaser that "makes you feel good and laugh out loud" (Chicago Sun-Times), "'Bend it Like Beckham' scores!" (Time Magazine)

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Audio Commentary
  • Feature Trailers
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Featurettes
  • Music Videos
  • Closed Captioned
  • Recipe Gallery

My Thoughts:
I went into this movie knowing very little about it. But I have heard good things about it. Going by Tom's Review here on this site... it is probably the closest thing I have ever seen to a Bollywood movie. After watching it I have found I enjoyed this one quite a bit. I really liked the characters... and the storyline kept my interest through-out. Though I have to admit that with some of their accents and the speed they were talking I did have a little bit of a hard time understanding some of the dialog. But over-all I enjoyed every minute of this one.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2012, 09:11:55 PM »
     Now and Then (1995/United States)

New Line Home Video
Director:Lesli Linka Glatter
Writing:I. Marlene King (Writer)
Length:102 min.
Rating:Rated PG-13 : Adolescent Sex Discussions
Video:Anamorphic Widescreen 1.85:1, Pan & Scan 1.33:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, English: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround
Subtitles:English

Stars:
Christina Ricci as Roberta
Rosie O'Donnell as Roberta
Thora Birch as Teeny
Melanie Griffith as Teeny
Gabby Hoffmann as Samantha
Demi Moore as Samantha
Ashleigh Aston Moore as Chrissy
Rita Wilson as Chrissy

Plot:
It's all for one and one for all in this heartwarming comedy about the childhood mischief of four best friends who reunite after twenty years.

Roberta, Teeny, Samantha and Chrissy have been busy growing up, but they always remembered the promise they made to be there for each other. Now they're together again to relive the greatest summer of their lives.

Take a spirited ride down memory lane with Christina Ricci (Sleepy Hollow), Thora Birch (American Beauty), Gaby Hoffmann (200 Cigarettes), Ashleigh Aston Moore (The Grave), Melanie Griffith (Another Day in Paradise), Demi Moore (G.I. Jane), Rosie O'Donnell (Tarzan), and Rita Wilson (Runaway Bride), in the delightful comedy that proves girls just wanna have fun.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Feature Trailers
  • Production Notes
  • Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
I decided to watch this today off of a recommendation of our friend Kathy. The first thing I did was watch the trailer for the movie. This had me fairly psyched because I have enjoyed such movies as this that were set in the past... a reminder of a simpler time. But the trailer had me a little worried that it would be more of a chick flick type. But I got to say... I really enjoyed every minute of it. Easily the best movie I watched so far today! It has an all-star cast of great actresses... as well as a story you just get lost in. It has a roller coaster of emotions. One minute you are laughing out loud at it... the next you are in a thrilling moment that the actually worry about the for one of the characters... and then the next it is tugging at your heart strings. It really surprised me how much I enjoyed this movie... so I must thank Kathy for the very entertaining suggestion!

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2012, 11:21:18 PM »
I actually recommended Never Again but I'll take compliments and thanks any way I can get them.  :P

I had sent this movie to someone thinking it was Pete. I ended up buying it again because I wanted to re-watch it...I hope that doesn't happen with all the other DVDs I'm giving away.  :laugh:

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2012, 11:34:26 PM »
I saw that after I wrote this review... was going to PM you to tell you I reviewed it when I saw I miss-read it. But I do believe I remember you recommending this one at one time as well. :)
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2012, 11:35:51 PM »
I just double checked... I don't have Never Again.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2012, 06:33:53 PM »
     Juno (2007/United States)

Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment
Director:Jason Reitman
Writing:Diablo Cody (Writer)
Length:96 min.
Rating:Rated PG-13 : Mature Thematic Material, Sexual Content and Language
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround, French: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround, Commentary: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo

Stars:
Ellen Page as Juno MacGuff
Michael Cera as Paulie Bleeker
Jennifer Garner as Vanessa Loring
Jason Bateman as Mark Loring
Allison Janney as Bren MacGuff
J.K. Simmons as Mac MacGuff

Plot:
Don’t miss the outrageously offbeat comedy hit that has everyone talking—and laughing!

Juno MacGuff (Ellen Page) is a cool, confident teenager who takes a nine-month detour into adulthood when she’s faced with an unplanned pregnancy—and sets out to find the perfect parents for her baby. With the help of her charmingly unassuming boyfriend (Michael Cera) supportive dad (J.K. Simmons) and no-nonsense stepmom (Allison Janney) Juno sets her sights on an affluent couple (Jennifer Garner and Jason Bateman) longing to adopt their first child.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Audio Commentary
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Music Videos
  • Outtakes/Bloopers
  • Closed Captioned
  • Inside Look
  • Screen Tests

My Thoughts:
After reading several favorable reviews I was happy to see this one in one of the boxes of free DVDs I recently got. While I did enjoy it... I was hoping for a little more then what was delivered. The movie is listed in DVD Profiler as a comedy. And while I wouldn't say this is wrong... it just wasn't the type of comedy I was expecting. It definitely isn't the laugh out loud type of comedy. More... actually I don't know what I would call it. I did however think that Ellen Page was great in this movie. While I have liked Jennifer Garner since first seeing her in Alias... I wasn't all that impressed with her in this movie. I don't know... maybe it was just the character she had to work with... but I was a bit disappointed in her this time. Over-all it is a good story that kept my interest through-out.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2012, 04:14:07 PM »
     Drop Dead Gorgeous (1999/United States)

New Line Home Video
Director:Michael Patrick Jann
Writing:Lona Williams (Writer)
Length:98 min.
Rating:Rated PG-13 : Irreverent and Crude Humor, Sex-Related Material and Language
Video:Anamorphic Widescreen 1.85:1, Full Frame 1.33:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, English: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround
Subtitles:English

Stars:
Kirsten Dunst as Amber Atkins
Ellen Barkin as Annette Atkins
Allison Janney as Loretta
Denise Richards as Becky Leeman
Kirstie Alley as Gladys Leeman
Sam McMurray as Lester Leeman

Plot:
The Sarah Rose Princess America Pageant is a beauty contest to die for! And that is exactly what the contestants in Mount Rose, Minnesota are doing. Ever since the vivacious but vicious former beauty queen, Gladys Leeman (Kirstie Alley, TV's Veronica's Closet), has been pushing her charm-challenged daughter, Rebecca (Denise Richards, Wild Things) to win at all costs, the competition has been dropping like flies. Between exploding tractors and deadly hunting accidents, it's a wonder the top challenger, poor Amber Atkins (Kirsten Dunst, Interview With the Vampire) has the courage to keep her tap shoes on. But after Amber's mother, (Ellen Barkin, Sea of Love) is injured in a suspicious trailer-park-beauty-shop bombing, Amber is determined to fight to the finish – and the battle between the good and the bad – is about to get ugly! Experience plenty of mom, apple pie and all-American mayhem, plus a hit-packed soundtrack in this break-through comedy that is "clever, fearless and loaded with wicked lines and touches" (Los Angeles Times).

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Feature Trailers
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Production Notes
  • DVD-ROM Content
  • Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
While looking for something to watch today I watched the trailer for this movie... looked silly but good to me so decided to pop it in. While it was fine to start with... it was a little too silly and over the top for more then an hour and a half straight. I basically found myself just waiting for it to be over. Sure there is some big names and a few pretty girls... and maybe a laugh  or two here and there... but really offers nothing more then that. So I am really not impressed with this one.  It is one of the DVDs that was given to me recently... and I thank the person that gave it to me... but at the same time... I am glad I didn't pay for this one.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete