Author Topic: Marie's Halloween/Horror Marathon  (Read 16560 times)

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
Re: Marie's Halloween/Horror Marathon
« Reply #30 on: October 21, 2011, 10:26:46 AM »

The Mummy's Ghost
THE MUMMY'S GHOST

Big screen icons Lon Chaney Jr. and John Carradine star in this riveting tale of true love and the ancient curse that haunts it. Doomed lovers Princess Ananka and commoner Kharis (Chaney Jr.) are buried together, but only he has the potion for eternal life. Kharis enlists the help of an Egyptian high priest (Carradine) to revive Ananka. But he soon finds the priest plans to keep her for himself. Forced to flee with his beloved, Kharis takes refuge in a swamp, where the mystery of eternal romance is revealed with unexpected optimisim.

This one is connected to The Mummy's Hand and The Mummy's Tomb, continuing the story of Kharis.  Things are starting to get a bit....ridiculous though.  The movie is a lot like the last one, though one thing gets introduced.  That is interesting, though I don't think it is dealt with as well as it could have been.

Once again, I think the summary with the profile is a bit misleading.  From it, it sounds like Kharis is making decisions and he hunted up the priest to help him, and that isn't what happened at all.  Kharis is basically a mindless creature, who obeys whoever gives him the drink made from the leaves.  The priests have been like a secret society for years, passing on the story and the leaves, waiting for the time to put Kharis in action.  Kharis and the Princess weren't exactly buried together to begin with either..he was in a different tomb, though he was supposed to protect her tomb. 

So a few years have passed, and a new priest is informed that Kharis still lives even though he was thought to have been burned  - again.  In the other two movies featuring Kharis, he had to be given the drink to..well..come to life.  That wasn't needed in this movie.  Instead, he can now someone sense, from miles away, when the drink is brewed, and he'll make his way to where the drink is.  It's like he's got a homing beacon or something now.  Kharis still slowly shuffles through town, killing people, while trying to get back with the reincarnated princess.  Considering how slow he moves, he does manage to accomplish a lot at times.  He still kills in the same way, and the people just sort of wait for it instead of trying to run.  Things made me laugh that weren't supposed to be funny, but I still enjoyed the movie overall.  One or two minor new things turn up, but the movie has the same basic plot as the last few.  There really isn't any suspense and no violence, though I didn't expect one thing that happened. 

Many scenes are supposed to take place at night, when Kharis is out killing and looking for the Princess.  Most of the time, it actually looks like those scenes are taking place during the day.  It is a little funny looking when everyone is running off to try to find Kharis, carrying lanterns even though it is clearly the middle of the day.

This one is a bit more ridiculous, but I still enjoyed the movie overall.  I think it is worth seeing, though it won't appeal to some people.

I ended up rounding up to 3 stars when I posted my review at Epinions.

The Mummy's Ghost

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #31 on: October 21, 2011, 10:41:21 AM »

The Mummy's Curse
THE MUMMY'S CURSE

In his final film appearance, Lon Chaney Jr. returns as one of the screen's most memorable movie monsters: ancient Egyptian mummy Kharis, who is tormented by his forbidden love for a long-dead princess. Transported to Cajun country by archaeologists, Kharis breaks free and goes on a rampage of terror and destruction. Finally, he is united with his princess. But they soon discover that the greatest threat their ancient romance has ever known may be the museum curators who are after them.

Kharis is back again.  This is one hard to kill Mummy.  Maybe he's part Terminator. ;)

Anyway, a new priest manages to find him.  The priest wants to return Kharis and the Princess to Egypt.  On the surface, that seems like an ok plot, but things just aren't handled the best.  There are several minutes of recap, using footage from the original Mummy movie with Boris Karloff again.  These movies haven't had the strongest plots, but things get even weirder in this one.

At the end of The Mummy's Ghost, Kharis shuffles off into a swamp - in Massachusetts - with the reincarnated Princess.  They sink down in the water and that seems to be that.  It is now 25 years later - putting the setting somewhere in the late 1990s after all the jumps in the timeline since The Mummy's Hand.  Things start showing people working clearing a swamp in Louisiana.  The work is going slow because some of the workers think the swamp is haunted by the Mummy and his bride.  The work on the swamp somehow brings back first Kharis, and then the Princess.   People in town talk about the Mummy carrying a woman off into the swamp 25 years before...even though that happened in Massachusetts.  Unless Kharis managed to somehow walk all the way to Louisiana carrying her before ending up in the swamp - which would make about as much sense as anything else that has happened in these movies.  

Kharis is back to needing to be given the special drink to come alive and move.  The Princess doesn't have the same need, and she's just somehow came to in the swamp, pulled herself out, and wondered off.  She does have memory issues.  At times she is wanting to find Kharis, but usually when he turns up, she takes off running.  

There is a little bit of actual action in this one, between two human characters.  Kharis is still just as slow moving and still kills the same way, using one hand to strangle people.  There are a few minor things I didn't expect, but the movie is still mostly predictable.  It seems like there is a final resolution, but I don't think that would have stopped the studio from finding a way to bring Kharis back again if they thought it would make money.  He's seemed to be dead at the end of all the movies, yet he kept coming back.

None of the characters are that developed, and frankly, most of them aren't that interesting.  The movie has definite issues, but I still thought it was entertaining overall.  This isn't a movie for everyone because of the issues, and..well..weak, messed up plot.  People that have liked the other Mummy movies might find something to like about this one.

The Mummy's Curse
« Last Edit: October 21, 2011, 10:43:39 AM by Dragonfire »

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #32 on: October 21, 2011, 10:53:06 AM »
Abbott and Costello Meet the Mummy

I set my DVR to record this a few months ago actually.  Then I didn't get to watching it..and I forgot exactly which movie it was..  It worked out well since I just watched the other Mummy movies.

This one is kind of a spoof of the Mummy movies I guess.  It is definitely more light hearted and silly.  The movie has a decent enough plot - the plot is actually a bit stronger than the last few from the Mummy movies I think.  There is a lot of silly stuff happening, and slapstick humor, but it works for the movie and it ends up being entertaining.  I wasn't really sure how a few things would work out.  I do think the plot works well.  The humor also works well, though some people don't care for this type of humor.  The characters are kind of flat, but that didn't bother me too much.

Overall, I enjoyed the movie and think it is worth watching.

I did get a review posted on Epinions.

Abbott and Costello Meet the Mummy

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #33 on: October 28, 2011, 10:44:53 AM »
This is for you Jimmy.. ;)

Vampires Suck

So Jimmy asked me when I was going to watch this one a few times..starting when it was still in the theaters.  Like a day after he asked earlier this month, I found that it was going to be on one of the HBO channels I get, so I figured I'd watch it and set my DVR. 

Jimmy is right about this one.  It is better than the other movies by these idiots - but considering how horrid Date Movie and Epic Movie are, it doesn't take a lot to be better - but it still isn't that great.  It helps that they restrained themselves and were focused just on the first two Twilight movies instead of throwing in references to all kinds of other movies.  The run time is better than with the actual movies - it's shorter. The Twilight movies are too long, and for the most part, not much happens in them really.  Anyway, the characters in this movie work well.  It does seem a bit lazy that they kept the same first names for Edward and Jacob. 

Some of the humor works, but a lot of it doesn't.  They just keep going with the gags too long.  A few of the jokes seem ok at first, but by the time they are done beating them into the ground, they don't work.  Some things were supposed to be funny that just end up being awkward and disturbing - like when Becca's dad talks about her breasts and his sex doll. 

Jenn Proske, the actress playing Becca, is the best thing about the movie.  She does really well acting like Kristen Stewart's Bella, getting the looks and mannerisms right.  Hopefully she'll get the chance to be in a better movie...and hopefully her performance wasn't just a fluke.  The other actors aren't anything special, and some of them aren't that great.

Overall, I sort of enjoyed this movie..but I was tired when I watched it.  It isn't a favorite and it definitely has problems.  It isn't that good, but it is better than I thought it would be.

I did post a review at Epinions.

Vampires Suck

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #34 on: October 28, 2011, 10:58:37 AM »
The Thing From Another World - 1951

I decided to include this once even though it may be more science fiction than horror.

I actually found this on AMC several months ago..like July I think.  It sounded interesting, so I added it to my DVR..and it stayed there until recently.  I had no idea at the time that it was remade by John Carpenter as The Thing.

The plot works well, though a few things are kind of silly.  The arctic makes a good setting because of how cut off the characters are, and that adds to the building tension and fear.  The plot is interesting and I think it works well even though some things aren't fully developed.  The Thing is just some sort of monster from space that kills.  It doesn't take on the appearance of people like happens in the Carpenter movie.   Considering when the movie was made, and what limitations there were with special effects at that point, it makes sense that the Thing acts different.  I have read that this movie - and Carpenter's - is based on a short story and the Thing changes appearance in the story too.  There is a decent build up of tension, and some well done scenes.  One involving an attempt to kill the Thing with fire is impressive.

The characters are fine, though none of them are that developed.  The Thing isn't shown close up, which actually ends up working with making him seem scarier.  I couldn't tell that James Arness was playing the Thing.  I know what he looks like since my mom loves Gunsmoke. 

Overall I really enjoyed this movie and am glad I watched it.

The Thing From Another World

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #35 on: October 28, 2011, 11:07:14 AM »

House of Wax
In the wicked performance that crowned him the movie's master of the macabre, Vincent Price plays a renowned wax sculptor plunged into madness when an arsonist destroys his life's work. Unable to use his flame-scarred hands, he devises a new – and murderous – way of restocking his House of Wax.

The sweet dread and sheer fun of this creepy classic, co-starring Phyllis Kirk, Carolyn Jones and Charles Bronson and directed by André De Toth, had its roots in a Warner Bros. chiller from 20 years before: Mystery of the Wax Museum.

I saw some of this on television several years ago, but I had forgotten most of it.  The plot works well as a scary, creepy movie.  It is definitely twisted and I think there is a good amount of suspense to what is happening.  Vincent Price does really well with his part.  Phyllis Kirk is pretty good too, and she has a good scream.  The characters aren't that developed, but the movie is still entertaining and worth watching.  It is a little dated, but that is to be expected.

House of Wax

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #36 on: October 28, 2011, 11:12:45 AM »

Poltergeist
"THEY'RE HERE," playful at first...but not for long. A storm erupts, a tree attacks and little Carol Anne Freeling is whisked into a spectral void. As her family confronts horrors galore, something else is here too: a new benchmark in Hollywood ghost stories. Producers Steven Speilberg and Frank Marshall and director Tobe Hooper head the elite scream team of this classic. Welcome to Home Sweet Haunted Home.

I decided to watch this one again.  I still really like it, and certain scenes still creep me out.  The movie is really well done and it has held up well. 

I've written about this one here before..so I'm not writing as much this time.

Here's the link to my review of the movie at Epinions that I posted there a few years ago.

Poltergeist

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #37 on: October 28, 2011, 11:26:24 AM »

The Twilight Saga: Eclipse
IT ALL BEGINS... WITH A CHOICE.

In the third chapter of Stephenie Meyer's phenomenal Twilight series, Bella Swan is surrounded by danger as Seattle is hit by a string of murders and an evil vampire continues her quest for revenge. In the midst of it all, Bella is forced to choose between her love, Edward Cullen, and her friend, Jacob Black — knowing that her decision may ignite the ageless struggle between vampire and werewolf.

I finally decided to watch this one for the first time.  I'm not a fan of Twilight, though I've sort of enjoyed the other movies and the books.  I think they are definite problems and they are no where near as good as some people think they are.  I'm pretty sure I'll end up seeing the last two movies as well, though it won't be in the theater.  There is no way I'm subjecting myself to a theater full of teenage idiots who have fits when Jacob or Edward shows up on screen.  Also, I think there is no reason for Breaking Dawn to be split into 2 movies. Yes it is the longest book, but a lot of what is in the book is a bunch of nonsense with character moping yet again.  I have a feeling the movies will have a lot of filler scenes - in fact I know from some of the trailers for the first one that this has been done because there is stuff that wasn't in the book.  Anyway.

This one is a bit better than New Moon and Bella isn't as annoying and irritating with her depression, though she still has some irritating moments.  Jacob irritated me more in this one.  He's basically having a temper tantrum because Bella is with Edward..and he keeps taking his shirt off.  It's ridiculous.  There is a set up for a huge fight late in the movie that doesn't really go anywhere.  There is a fight, but it doesn't live up to the build up.  The book has the same problem. 

The cast is ok I guess, though I'm not impressed with any of them.  The vampires look a little better I guess - not to much sparkling like they were in an explosion at a glitter factory - but the paleness still doesn't look right to me.  It is at least more consistent than it was in the first movie.  The wolves are so huge they are ridiculous...and they aren't werewolves.  They are just shape shifters who become wolves.  They can control when they change and the full moon doesn't have anything to do with it.

The movie is sort of entertaining, but it is far from my favorite vampire movie.  This isn't a movie for everyone.

Twilight Saga: Eclipse

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 28, 2011, 03:36:37 PM »
Thanks, so I told you it wasn't that bad :)
In fact our reviews highligh the same positive, of course when we expect nothing (and nothing is generous) it helps. At least it was ok enough that I will give them another chance with their next movie, we never know maybe they will finally succeed at directing a good comedy (but they really need to find a real writer).

Just read it and check the others one writen by your colleagues. I must say that one of them (mizztease22's) doesn't seem to have seen many movies in her life, but she seems young because of the overuse of the cap locks and the hip language I don't always get :laugh:
« Last Edit: October 28, 2011, 03:53:28 PM by Jimmy »

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #39 on: October 28, 2011, 10:58:36 PM »
Thanks, so I told you it wasn't that bad :)
In fact our reviews highligh the same positive, of course when we expect nothing (and nothing is generous) it helps. At least it was ok enough that I will give them another chance with their next movie, we never know maybe they will finally succeed at directing a good comedy (but they really need to find a real writer).

Just read it and check the others one writen by your colleagues. I must say that one of them (mizztease22's) doesn't seem to have seen many movies in her life, but she seems young because of the overuse of the cap locks and the hip language I don't always get :laugh:

Yup, it wasn't that bad.  Not great, but not horrible.  I've liked some of the spoof movies ok.  I liked the first Scary Movie for the most part..but there were other people involved and these two idiots probably actually didn't do that much.

I'll have to go read that review..I haven't gotten to that yet.  But yes, that happens sometimes.  Some people just post a bunch of nonsense and don't even try.  That usually happens if the site is having a promotion where they pay $1 for every review..or $10 for 10 reviews..things like that. 

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #40 on: November 01, 2011, 09:03:51 AM »
I still have more movies that I watched this month to write about..I'll try to get that done tonight..or tomorrow. :)

Oh...just for anyone who may decide to follow one of my links to Epinions, they went and changed how things look there...with no warning.  So things will look different.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #41 on: November 01, 2011, 09:09:31 AM »

The 13 Ghosts of Scooby-Doo!: The Complete Series
Super sleuths Daphne, Shaggy and Scooby-Doo are on the case for ghosts – real ghosts this time, 13 of the world’s meanest ghosts to be exact.  Once banned to an enchanted Chest of Demons for eternity, all 13 spirits are now loose to wreak havoc on the world and only Scooby-Doo can recapture them because – ruh-roh! – he’s the one who unwittingly opened the chest and let them out!  Joined by the pint-sized, fast-talking magician/con artist Flim-Flam and guided by the world’s greatest mystic Vincent van Ghoul (voiced and inspired by the incomparable Vincent Price), the gang causes mayhem hunting ghosts around the world while cracking fans up in the comfort of their home.  Scare up this spooktacular 2-Disc Complete Series Collection for a haunting good time!

Episodes:
1. To All the Ghouls I've Loved Before
2. Scoobra Kadoobra
3. Me and My Shadow Demon
4. Reflections in a Ghoulish Eye
5. That's Monstertainment
6. Ship of Ghouls
7. A Spooky Little Ghoul like You
8. When You Witch Upon a Star
9. It's a Wonderful Scoob
10. Scooby in Kwackyland
11. Coast-to-Ghost
12. The Ghouliest Show on Earth
13. Horror-Scope Scoob

I remember watching this when it originally aired.  I also remember liking it at the time.  I did like it overall when I watched the episodes this time, but some things just don't work as well.  There are several changes.  Having the characters deal with demons and ghosts instead of someone in a monster disguise and mask is interesting, but I don't like that Fred and Velma weren't part of the show.  I'm also not that fond of Flim Flam.  He's kind of annoying.  There also really aren't mysteries to be solved, something else that I missed.  The cartoon is entertaining overall, but it is different from the other Scooby-Doo cartoons.

Overall I did enjoy watching this again and am glad I picked up the DVD set.

This is one I would have rated 3.5 stars at Epinions.  Since I didn't have that option, I rounded up to 4.

The 13 Ghosts of Scooby-Doo: The Complete Series

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #42 on: November 01, 2011, 09:21:28 AM »

The Lost Boys
Sam and his older brother Michael are all-American teens with all-American interests. But after they move with their mother to peaceful Santa Carla, California, things mysteriously begin to change. Michael's not himself lately.  And Mom's not going to like what he's turning into.

The Lost Boys reshapes vampire tradition, deftly mixing heart-pounding terror, rib-tickling laughs and a body-gyrating rock soundtrack. Under Joel Schumacher's direction, a marvelous cast - Jason Patric, Jami Gertz, Kiefer Sutherland, Corey Feldman, Corey Haim, Barnard Hughes and Edward Herrmann - stakes you to gleefully ghoulish entertainment.

I still really enjoy this one and usually watch it sometime every October.  The movie has held up well and is still entertaining and worth seeing.  I like how the vampires are dealt with in this movie.  This is definitely a vampire movie to check out for people who like vampire movies.  There is a decent mystery to the story, mostly tied to who the head vampire is.

I have posted about this one here before.

I'll share the link to my review at Epinions again.

The Lost Boys

The Lost Boys

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #43 on: November 01, 2011, 09:31:18 AM »

Slither
Prepare yourself for this terrifying, twisted and chilling film that critics are calling "the most entertaining horror movie in years" (Joe Williams, St. Louis Post-Dispatch).

From the writer of 2004's Dawn of the Dead comes the deliciously demented story of an unnamed evil wreaking havoc on a small town. Intent on devouring all life on Earth, this dark force is infecting anyone in its path. Now it's up to the local sheriff, Bill Pardy (Nathan Fillion, Serenity), and his team to stop the spread of rampant devastation – and shocking mutilation – before it's too late.

I really enjoy this movie even though it has all the icky worm things in it that are sort of snake like.  I don't know what they don't freak me out like snakes do, but they don't.  This is an entertaining monster type movie that is done well, using some makeup effects and models instead of relying strictly on CGI.  The plot is interesting and different and that makes for an entertaining movie.  I've seen it several times now and I still really enjoy it. Things do get a bit gory at times, but the movie is still entertaining.  This one really isn't family friendly.

I love Nathan Fillion in this.  He's the main reason why I wanted to see the movie to begin with.

I think I've posted about this one here before.

I posted a review on it at Epinions a few years ago.  I'll share the link again.

Slither

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #44 on: November 01, 2011, 09:39:01 AM »

Love at First Bite
Dracula has never been so funny and dashing – to say nothing of being an awesome disco dancer – as in this "delightful movie with a bang-up cast" ('The New York Times') led by the epitome of suave, George Hamilton, and featuring first-rate performances from Susan Saint James, Richard Benjamin, Dick Shawn, Arte Johnson, Sherman Hemsley and Isabel Sanford!

Evicted from Transylvania, Dracula (Hamilton) goes to New York to make Cindy (Saint James), a model with an old soul, his eternal bride. To his delight, she quickly falls for his necking style. But when her would-be boyfriend (Benjamin), a descendant of the vampire-killing Van Helsings, meets his romantic rival, he's determined to put a stake in the count's plans!

This is another one that I seem to like watching in October.  I decided I was in the mood for one of my sillier Dracula movies.

The story is entertaining and it sort of follows plots from other Dracula movies, though it is set in modern times.  Dracula is once again trying to find love and thinks he has found his true love again.  He ends up dealing with more potential problems while trying to connect with her.  Some of what happens does end up being silly, but I think it works for the movie.  The characters are entertaining and the cast is fine in their parts.

Yes, the movie is silly and even a bit cheesy, but that's what I like about it.

I think I've posted about this one here before.  I did post a review at Epinions a few years ago.  I'll share the link again.

Love at First Bite