Author Topic: RossRoy's Random Viewings  (Read 292400 times)

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
Re: My Random Viewings
« Reply #45 on: April 06, 2008, 05:55:02 AM »
I've just finished to watch the sixth seasons tonight and you were right, it's a much better one than the precedent (in fact I think that it's the best since the season 3, yeah I know I'm always partial to the Shannen Doherty period).

My favourite episode
Witch Wars (like the evil reality show, if they could be like that I would watch them)
The final (good to see this sub-story end1 and to see Leo finally use his maximum power)
The one when we finally find who is Chris (forget wich one)

My least favourite :
Power of Three Blondes (boring, I hate Jenny Mccarthy : she's untalented, she's not good looking, she's artificial and she had no personality at all)

(click to show/hide)

Now I will wait a little before starting the next seasons and watch some others genre of movie after I've complete my season profile (cast/crew by episode are not done yet). Do you realize that I've not wrote one review (my impression on "The Mist" don't count) in one week  :o
« Last Edit: April 06, 2008, 06:08:07 AM by AESP_pres »

RossRoy

« Reply #46 on: April 06, 2008, 06:57:49 AM »
I've just finished to watch the sixth seasons tonight and you were right, it's a much better one than the precedent (in fact I think that it's the best since the season 3, yeah I know I'm always partial to the Shannen Doherty period).

:phew:

Glad to hear you liked it! You also liked the same episodes as me! That's always nice!

Now I will wait a little before starting the next seasons and watch some others genre of movie after I've complete my season profile (cast/crew by episode are not done yet). Do you realize that I've not wrote one review (my impression on "The Mist" don't count) in one week  :o

Well, if you dove right into Charmed S6, it's no wonder! But I missed your reviews. So come on, get to it!  :P

RossRoy

« Reply #47 on: April 06, 2008, 07:07:40 AM »
Ikki Tousen: 4.Fighting Fate

Original Title: Ikki tôsen
Year: 2003
Director: Takashi Watanabe
Rating: NR
Length: 74 Min.
Video: Full Frame 1.33:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital Stereo, Japanese: Dolby Digital Stereo
Subtitles: English

What they say
The Demon Awakens!

The mortal battle between Hakufu and Ukitsu has begun. A fight that ended Hakufu's life 800 years ago and one that will determine the future of all the fighters! Will Hakufu break the 800 year cycle, or is death truly their only destiny? How can these stupid girls even think of trying to fight their own fate?

My Thoughts
Well, another show comes to an end. And again, it kept getting better and better, yet, it fell short of greatness. Don't get me wrong, it is a very entertaining show that I enjoyed very much. But, and that's its biggest fault, the pseudo-grand story is actually there as a pretext for the fights, instead of the fights advancing the story. In the end, if you get into it expecting a grand story with complex characters and elaborate betrayals, you'll be disppointed. On the other hand, get into it expecting grand fighting sequence interspersed with strong sexual innuendo (can't deny it's there, especially considering that in a sense, the health of the fighter is basically represented by the clothes: the less clothing, the closer they are to losing the fight), all this in a show that doesn't take itself too seriously, and you'll have a great ride that will keep you entertained through most of it.

I can't really say to watch it without hesitation, but if you like the kind of stuff that's presented here (and I do), you'll enjoy it. If not, you're better off looking elsewhere.

;D
« Last Edit: April 06, 2008, 07:09:50 AM by RossRoy »

RossRoy

« Reply #48 on: April 07, 2008, 05:53:29 AM »
Bound

Original Title: Bound
Year: 1996
Director: The Wachowski Brothers
Length: 108 Min.
Video: Widescreen 1.85:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital 5.1, French: Dolby Digital Surround, Commentary: Dolby Digital Mono
Subtitles: English, Spanish

What they say
A mobster, his mistress and a tough female ex-con are caught in a dangerous plot with over $2 million of the mob's money at stake in this new, ultra-hip film by the Wachowski Brothers. Starring Academy Award® nominee Jennifer Tilly ('Liar Liar'), Gina Gershon ('Face/Off') and Joe Pantoliano ('The Fugitive').

My Thoughts
I must say, I had apprehensions going into this movie. The whole LGBT angle was a bit scary for me, not that I have anything against it, I mean, what you do in your own bedroom is your business, but a movie around that? Turns out it is basically a MacGuffin, a way to get the girls together and start the story. After that, it is a mob movie, and a very good one at that.

I didn't know what to expect going into this. I'd barely heard of Gina Gershon (only on Tripping the Rift, and it's only a voice part), and not much more of Jennifer Tilly (basically only the Chuky movies), I was happy though to know that Joe Pantoliano (Cypher in The Matrix) was in there too. All three actors give great performances. You don't really know what anyone's motive really is. And isn't it the whole point of a mob movie? The mystery surrounding everyone's personality and the tested loyalties, betrayals and manipulations?

The imagery is also great in this movie. It's gritty and ugly when it needs to be, yet maintains a visual beauty throughout, especially in the final showdown. There's even a scene where you can sort of see the precursor to The Matrix's famous bullet-time effect (not that The Matrix was the first incarnation of it, but I'd say it was the first time it was used to such an effect).

One negative point though: the DVD I have is the unrated version (which is good!) but it was not enhanced for widescreen! Big let down on that front. Good thing PowerDVD handles that well with a smart stretch.

:thumbup:

RossRoy

« Reply #49 on: April 08, 2008, 12:44:46 AM »
The 6th Day

Original Title: The 6th Day
Year: 2000
Director: Roger Spottiswoode
Rating: PG-13
Length: 123 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 2.35:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital 5.1, English: Dolby Digital Surround, French: Dolby Digital Surround, Music Only: Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English, French

What they say
Superstar Arnold Schwarzenegger is Adam, an ace pilot in the very near future who is having a serious identity crisis. An evil corporation illegally cloned him, and now they're trying to kill him to hide the evidence. Torn from his beloved family and faced with a shocking exact duplicate of himself, Adam races against time to reclaim his life and save the world from the underground cloning movement.

My Thoughts
This is an interesting little piece. On the one hand, you have a rather serious subject matter with the moral, social and ethical implications with human cloning. On the other hand, you have a typical Ahnuld action movie. But unfortunately, the two sides are not treated equally. So, what we end up with is a fairly standard action movie, with some decent stunt and great technology (the choppers are great!), that is, if you like that kind of thing.

I do, to a certain extent, but this time I was disappointed.

The movie could've been so much more! They don't tackle the whole human cloning issue, it's there just to give an excuse for the action. What I mean is, if you're going to open your movie with a partly fictitious history of cloning, with the first successful human cloning going wrong and the subsequent ban on human cloning, why then spend the whole movie just chasing after the clone? They even have cloning protestors! But they are all just plot devices, they're basically useless. There's no real debate between any characters on whether cloning should be ok or not, it just is.

Oh well, I guess the opening scenes made me think this movie would be something it is not, and actually, I should've known better. What else can I really expect from an Ahnuld movie?

:-\
« Last Edit: April 08, 2008, 12:49:23 AM by RossRoy »

Najemikon

« Reply #50 on: April 08, 2008, 12:49:03 AM »
Ok, The 6th Day is weak, but I think you're being unfair on Arnold! :tease: Terminator, Predator, Total Recall, True Lies, and dammit, Kindergarten Cop and bloody Twins as well; they're all great. The man has proved his worth enough to be forgiven a couple of 6th Day's, a Junior and even an End of Days. :thumbup:

RossRoy

« Reply #51 on: April 08, 2008, 12:50:44 AM »
Ok, The 6th Day is weak, but I think you're being unfair on Arnold! :tease: Terminator, Predator, Total Recall, True Lies, and dammit, Kindergarten Cop and bloody Twins as well; they're all great. The man has proved his worth enough to be forgiven a couple of 6th Day's, a Junior and even an End of Days. :thumbup:

Yes, and all the movies you mentioned there, I love! I guess I should've aimed my ire to the director actually. But eh! He's the Governator now, he can take some criticism!  :laugh:

Oh and... I do like Junior!  ;)

RossRoy

« Reply #52 on: April 08, 2008, 06:53:39 AM »
The Mistress of Spices

Original Title: The Mistress of Spices
Year: 2005
Director: Paul Mayeda Berges
Rating: PG
Length: 95 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 1.85:1, Pan & Scan 1.33:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles:

What they say
'The Mistress of Spices' is an enchanting and sensual fable about the romantic and personal conflicts that face Tilo (Rai), a beautiful young woman trained in the ancient and magical art of spices. With the guidance of her spices, Tilo can find the perfect remedyfor anyone whi walks through the door of her 'Spice Bazaar'. But when Doug (McDermott), a handsome stranger, crashes his motorcycle outside her store, Tilo tends to his wounds and her life is changed forever. Tilo and Doug are drawn to each other and no matter how hard she tries, she cannot suppress her feelings for him. Soon, her spices loose their affect and Tilo is faced with the painful dilemma of choosing between her talent of healing other and her heart.

My Thoughts
There's only one reason I got interested in this movie: Aishwarya Rai. Don't ask me why, but I can just sit there and stare at her eyes. She's so beautiful. And again, in this movie, she doesn't disappoint in her traditional Indian clothing, sensually manipulating the spices. But unfortunately, to me, the charm ends there. The movie itself is rather bland with so many different micro stories with all the characters, yet so little back story to explain it. I think this movie should've been a short, instead of feature length. It's like diluted coffee. You can taste the coffee, but it's barely there because it's been diluted too much. It's like with the side stories of the other characters here. They could've gotten away with had it been a short story, but they felt very underdeveloped for a feature length movie.

Still, Aishwarya Rai's beauty is well worth the price of this DVD! And I'm ready to watch it again anytime, just to see her again!

:-\

RossRoy

« Reply #53 on: April 10, 2008, 05:47:22 AM »
Plan 9 from Outer Space

Original Title: Plan 9 from Outer Space
Year: 1959
Director: Edward D. Wood, Jr.
Length: 78 Min.
Video: Full Frame 1.33:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital Mono
Subtitles:

What they say
Starring Gregory Walcott, Lyle Talbot, Mona McKinnon, Dudley Manlove, Conrad Brooks, Paul Marco, Vampira, Tor Johnson, Norma McCarty Wood, Criswell, John "Bunny" Brekenridge and special ghost star Bela Lugosi. Executive Producer: J. Edward Reynolds. Written, produced and directed by Edward D. Wood, Jr.

This is it! The most popular Atomic Age cult film of the 20th century. Winner of two Golden Turkey Awards for Worst Picture and Worst Director of All Time, the immortal Edward D. Wood, Jr.!

It's all here, the not-so-special efects, aliens in skating skirts zooming around in string-powered flying saucers to implement the ninth plan of Earth's conquest (the first eight failed) with an army of zombies (well, three actually): Vampira, Tor Johnson and Bela Lugosi in his legendary "postmortem" performance (with Ed's chiropractor standing in for Bela after his death).

This truly original movie, Ed Wood's 'Citizen Kane', is a hymn to all those who have ever tried to create something intelligent and meaningful and failed miserably every step of the way.

My Thoughts
Is that for real? I mean, how can a single movie be that bad? I tried. I really tried. But I just can't see what the so-bad-its-good crowd sees in this. I honestly never thought I would find something bad enough for me to almost quit halfway (I didn't, I watched it through and through). And you know what? This is 1h20m or so of my life I'll never get back.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 10, 2008, 06:16:41 AM »
I found the documentary (which is actually longer as the film) to be quite interesting.

It is in itself a rather dreadful film...

RossRoy

« Reply #55 on: April 10, 2008, 01:30:11 PM »
I found the documentary (which is actually longer as the film) to be quite interesting.

I was planning on watching the documentary when I saw it is on the disc.. but after watching the movie itself? I'm so sure I should devote any more time on the subject. But then, the documentary might shed some light and give me a new perspective? I don't know, maybe I'll watch bits and pieces.

But I guess I should now post this in the "I am so ashamed I won't even sell it" thread ;D

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 10, 2008, 01:52:04 PM »
Is that for real? I mean, how can a single movie be that bad? I tried. I really tried. But I just can't see what the so-bad-its-good crowd sees in this. I honestly never thought I would find something bad enough for me to almost quit halfway (I didn't, I watched it through and through). And you know what? This is 1h20m or so of my life I'll never get back.
This movie is not so bad, I like it and not even in the "so-bad-its-good" way. Sure there is no production value and not  so great acting. When you take it for it is you got a nice little earth invasion film (ok the zombie part is stupid). With some money Woods could have done a better film, he has what it takes to be a good director (he was caring about his movie). If you want to see a real bad director (probably one of the worst of all time) try Coleman Francis, not that I don't like him since I own his complete work.

By the way I already own 2 different version of Plan 9 and I will buy the boxset one day.

RossRoy

« Reply #57 on: April 10, 2008, 02:31:50 PM »
This movie is not so bad, I like it and not even in the "so-bad-its-good" way. Sure there is no production value and not  so great acting. When you take it for it is you got a nice little earth invasion film (ok the zombie part is stupid). With some money Woods could have done a better film, he has what it takes to be a good director (he was caring about his movie). If you want to see a real bad director (probably one of the worst of all time) try Coleman Francis, not that I don't like him since I own his complete work.
[/quote]

You know, now that I think of it after a good but short night sleep, I may have written my review too quickly after watching the movie. Not that I would be eager to watch it again, and I'm not even going to say it was ok, but, I may have been too harsh. It may be the exact opposite of the usual too high expectations. I heard so many times about how bad it is, that I kept thinking that it can't really be that bad. Turns out it is.

I'll give it one thing though. It asks some very serious questions. The whole let's shoot at them because they are not replying, yet they can't reply as they don't understand each other, is a question that should be asked. I also like the fact that Wood did ask the question "Is humanity mature enough to handle such mass destruction weapons as nuclear or hydrogen bombs?"

I guess the problem is the delivery. The actors in there are, for the most part, so bad, it's not even funny. And let's not even talk about how Woods decided to replace Lugosi with a guy hiding his face behind a cape.

But then, it is Plan 9, it wouldn't be Plan 9 without all this. And it certainly wouldn't still be talked about that much today, if it had been even just a little better. The fact it's at the very bottom of the scale makes it a novelty piece in a sense.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 10, 2008, 02:37:50 PM »
I'll give it one thing though. It asks some very serious questions. The whole let's shoot at them because they are not replying, yet they can't reply as they don't understand each other, is a question that should be asked. I also like the fact that Wood did ask the question "Is humanity mature enough to handle such mass destruction weapons as nuclear or hydrogen bombs?"
:hysterical:

I am not laughing at your points, I actually find it interesting you found those in the film. I just doubt Ed was actually going for that; at least not very consciously.

RossRoy

« Reply #59 on: April 10, 2008, 02:54:29 PM »
I am not laughing at your points, I actually find it interesting you found those in the film. I just doubt Ed was actually going for that; at least not very consciously.

Very possible. But there's a whole scene with the Alien "boss" talking about how humanity is too childish to handle such weapons. How could it be entirely accidental?  ;)

But then, there's no real resolution/answer given to that. The alien vessel just explodes and that's that!  :laugh: