Author Topic: Rise of the Planet of the Apes  (Read 7287 times)

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
Re: Rise of the Planet of the Apes
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2011, 03:31:09 AM »
Yes, the trailer gave it all away... But most people want to see the last 30min :laugh:

Can he communicate with the other chimps after he exposes them to the drug?  [/spoiler]
(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

I can't remember now from the original movies...was Caesar a character in them?

Najemikon

« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2011, 12:39:48 PM »
I've been watching the originals over the last couple of nights. In Escape From The Planet Of The Apes, set in modern day LA, Cornelius and Zira have a baby they call Milo. At the start of Conquest, he has been hidden by a circus owner who has named him Caesar.

Conquest is the one Achim mentioned earlier as the clearest basis for the new film and he's right. I haven't seen that one before and it's pretty good. In one sense it does dilute the original message, but also you could argue it contrives a situation where mankind speeds up their natural destruction almost knowingly.I haven't read the spoilers, but hopefully this is what the new film is strengthening.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2011, 06:25:41 AM »
I thought I already answered yesterday :headscratch:

(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)

Jon already covered the final question.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2011, 08:26:26 AM »
I thought I already answered yesterday :headscratch:

(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

Jon already covered the final question.
[/quote]

Ok.  Well it seems like there is a little more than I originally though...but I still think I'll hold off on seeing it.  Maybe if it turns up on cable in a year.  I still think I'd have...issues with Caesar and his emotions.

MEJHarrison

« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2011, 07:05:08 PM »
I've not seen this yet and very much want to.  Still, it bugs me that they seem to have changed the history of the original series.  As mentioned above, Caesar (aka Milo) was supposed to be the child of Cornelius and Zira.  So this movie seems to toss out the four original sequels.

But I think I can live with that. ;D

lyonsden5

« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2011, 10:03:01 PM »
Went Friday to see it. Loved it. I had the attitude going in that I really didn't care how it related to the original stories, if it even related at all. I tried to view it as a brand new series. I certainly was NOT disappointed. And let's face it. The POTAs franchise has really been played out. The originaly set of movies went on forever and Tim Burton's bizarre retelling of the original movie is just that, a bizarre retelling of the original. Fortunately it ended with the one movie.

Caesar's transformation throughout the movie was incredible. Marie, you are 100% correct, you will get emotionally attached to the character. The facial expressions were spooky sometimes. The graphics (if that's what they are even called) when Caesar was swinging through... anything were very realistic.

To me the movie had everything you want in a good popcorn flick.Good characters (some great). Good acting (again, some great). A good great storyline and plenty of action.  They left out the gratuitous T & A you see in soooooo many films these days. I'm not sure if it was a big decision not to have a Megan Fox type actress running around for 90 minutes in skimpy clothing but I certainly notice it was missing. (I'm not saying that's a good or bad thing, just putting it out there  ;)  ).

Of course the movie was fairly predictable, but it was also believable. Yes, I could really see what happened in the movie actually happening.  :bag:  Probably the only complaint I have is the movie spanned at least 5 years yet the humans didn't age. When you're in your late 40s or older you may not show an age difference in 5 years but the main characters were too young not to have matured physically in that period of time. At least they could have changed their hairstyle or something! Seriously, I think one character was wearing the same shirt 5 years later!

I would have to rate this a very solid . I will certainly watch for it on Blu-ray. As far as a sequel goes if there is one I would say it's not a guaranteed success. This story worked. How they get from the current handful of apes running loose to a world where apes rule could be another great story or could be total crap.

MEJHarrison

« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2011, 12:24:44 AM »
They left out the gratuitous T & A you see in soooooo many films these days. I'm not sure if it was a big decision not to have a Megan Fox type actress running around for 90 minutes in skimpy clothing but I certainly notice it was missing. (I'm not saying that's a good or bad thing, just putting it out there  ;)  ).

I'll say it.  It's a GREAT thing!  :P

Not that I mind a pretty face of course.  But I'd rather have a great story with great actors than a weak story with pretty faces.  Now if you can combine the two, all the better.  But I don't understand the obsession to have beautiful women just to have them.  Well... I guess I do get it.  That's what most people want.  But they're the same people that cause us to get crappy movies summer after summer.

Anyway, the more I hear about this movie, the more I want to see it!

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2011, 06:21:27 AM »
I've not seen this yet and very much want to.  Still, it bugs me that they seem to have changed the history of the original series.  As mentioned above, Caesar (aka Milo) was supposed to be the child of Cornelius and Zira.  So this movie seems to toss out the four original sequels.

But I think I can live with that. ;D
I would they they only clearly tossed out the original part 3 and 4, 1 and 2 could potentially still work. 3 was apparently rather wierd with the time travel anyway and is supposedly the weakest of all films anyway and 4 is obviously replaced by this, giving Caesar a new background.

Of course, the context of the ending of part 1 is entirely different now, but that is details...

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2011, 06:38:09 AM »
My mom and step dad went to see it this evening.  I didn't go ...because of the reservations I have about it.  Anyway, they both really liked it.  My mom really wasn't wanting to see it..she just went because my step dad wanted to see it.