Author Topic: Marie's Random Movie Viewing  (Read 66333 times)

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
Marie's Random Movie Viewing
« on: August 01, 2011, 09:15:07 AM »
I'll use this thread to post about the different movies that I watch on DVD/Blu-ray or on tv that don't fit in with a marathon.  I'll post about some tv shows on DVD or Blu-ray that I watch too.  I had a thread for this before...but I haven't posted in it for so long, I couldn't find it.  So I decided to start a new one.  Hope that's ok.

« Last Edit: August 08, 2011, 09:48:35 AM by Dragonfire »

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
Re: Marie's Random DVD Viewing
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2011, 09:26:17 AM »

Whose Line Is It Anyway? Season One: Vol. 1
If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it just might be 'Whose Line Is It Anyway?', the hilarious series where gifted comics devise sketches, impersonations and songs based on suggestions, props and inspired goofiness from off-beat and off-the-wall host Drew Carey and an equally playful audience.

Ever wonder what an excitable dog would do on a 'Let's Make a Date' TV show? Or an astronaut with an alien inside him? And what would a newscast be like if the anchors were smart-aleck school kids showing off in class? Join Ryan Stiles, Colin Mochrie, Wayne Brady and other stars in one hilariously hot-wired situation after another from 2 delicious discs worth of the complete, first 10 episodes of Season One, plus 'Uncensored Adult Versions of the Special Features'. It's daring. It's delirious. It's comedy without a net. There is however, a website: whoselineisitanywaydvd.com.

EPISODES:
1. Show No. 103
2. Show No. 104
3. Show No. 106
4. Show No. 101
5. Show No. 105
6. Show No. 102
7. Show No. 107
8. Show No. 111
9. Show No. 108
10. Show No. 117

Whose Line Is It Anyway? Season One: Vol. 2
The Improvisation Sensation Strikes Again - With More Hysterically Funny Uncensored Bonuses!
Make it up. Make it quick. Make it funny. You'll find the makings of great comedy fun in this 2-disc set featuring Season One's final 10 episodes of the hilarious improvisational series.

Drew Carey is host, court jester and provocateur of this collection of unrehearsed and unhinged situations in which talented series stars and guests create weird newscasters (here's a sports report...underwater!), a rap song about an avalanche (comin' at ya - word!), a public-information film about camping (smother those flames!) and much more. Watch. Laugh. Pause. Repeat. Improv your mind with Whose Line Is It Anyway?

I loved this show once I started watching it and I still love it.  I watch the reruns during the week on ABC Family.  I really wish the show was still being made.  I also wish for the rest of the series to be released on DVD too.  I have seen some episodes of the original British version.  That's actually how I first discovered the show. 

I think the show is one of the funniest ones I've seen.  Even after seeing the episodes several times, I still find them hilarious.  Some of what is done to add humor is a bit silly, but it is so funny.  This type of improv comedy may not appeal to everyone.  It is really entertaining.

I think my favorite sketches are the dating game, party quirks, and greatest hits.  Wayne is wonderful in greatest hits.  It does seem like Ryan and Colin are trying to stump him up at times.

Both of these DVD sets have bloopers and sketches that didn't make it into episodes.  The bloopers are hilarious.  That is where the uncensored part comes in as performers start swearing when they goof.  Ryan express how much he hates the hoe down with some colorful language.  A few obscene hand gestures turn up every so often as well.

These DVD sets are great, though they don't have a lot of episodes.  I did post reviews of both sets on Epinions.

Whose Line is it Anyway - Season 1, Volume 1 ~ Whose Line is it Anyway, Season 1, Volume 2 ~

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2011, 09:37:35 AM »

How I Met Your Mother: The Awesome Season 4
Loaded with irresistible laughter and filled with outrageous fun, there's just one word for the hit comedy How I Met Your Mother: Awesomeness!

From dating dilemmas to career conundrums, the recently engaged Ted and his feisty friends find themselves at the crossroads of young adult life. While newlyweds Marshall and Lily contemplate parenthood, single gal Robin explores the advantages of having "friends with benefits." Meanwhile, the irrepressible, opinionated Barney continues his hilariously dogged pursuit of the fairer sex. As for Ted, his Miss Right is out there, but amid bar brawls, blizzards, and buck-naked strangers, how will he ever find her?

This isn't my favorite show, but I find it entertaining overall....so I keep watching it.  I've been picking up the DVDs when I've found them on sale. 

The fourth season is entertaining overall.  I didn't care for how things worked out with Stella.  There also really wasn't much development in Ted's story about how he met his future wife.  There was more focus to other stuff going...something that keeps happening more and more.  That does get annoying at times. 

The characters are mostly likable, though Barney can get annoying with how he keeps chasing random women.  He does act like a jerk at times.

There are some bloopers and commentaries as extras.

Even though I do get a little annoyed by the show, I still enjoy it. 

I did get a review posted at Epinions.

How I Met Your Mother - Season 4

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2011, 09:50:43 AM »

How I Met Your Mother: The Complete Season 5
Suit up for the hilarious Season Five of How I Met Your Mother, the outrageous, Emmy®-nominated hit starring Neil Patrick Harris, Jason Segel and Alyson Hannigan! The show's funniest season to date is loaded with hook-ups, break-ups, and the return of Slapsgiving — not to mention the hottest guest stars imaginable, including Jennifer Lopez, Carrie Underwood, and Rachel Bilson. On the dating front, Barney and Robin take their relationship to the next level — before calling it off — and Ted meets the roommate of his future wife in this uproarious, modern-day love story told in reverse.

EPISODES
1. Definitions
2. Double Date
3. Robin 101
4. The Sexless Innkeeper
5. Duel Citizenship
6. Bagpipes
7. The Rough Patch
8. The Playbook
9. Slapsgiving 2: Revenge of the Slap
10. The Window
11. Last Cigarette Ever
12. Girls Versus Suits
13. Jenkins
14. Perfect Week
15. Rabbit or Duck
16. Hooked
17. Of Course
18. Say Cheese
19. Zoo or False
20. Home Wreckers
21. Twin Beds
22. Robots Versus Wrestlers
23. The Wedding Bride
24. Doppelgangers

So I went ahead and kept watching this series recently since I had picked up season 5. 

While Ted does come closer to meeting the mother than every before, there is basically 0 development to that aspect of the show.  The longer the show is on with that happening, the more annoying it is getting.  In this season there is a lot of focus to things going on with the others while Ted just dates a bunch of random women that blend together.  I really didn't like how things between Robin and Barney were handled.  They barely get together and then they break up.  It was like what was the point?  I don't know how much I liked them together...but it was annoying for things to end so fast.  Barney was a little more likable while with her.  As soon as they break up, he's right back to being a man whore, chasing pretty much every woman he sees.  That got old a long time ago.  The show is funny and I do enjoy it overall, but it also annoys me. 

There are bloopers again and some commentaries.  There is also a featurette on the making of the musical number from the 100th episode that is interesting.

This is a decent DVD set for fans of the show.

I did get a review posted on Epinions.

How I Met Your Mother - Season 5

Rogmeister

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2011, 03:27:51 PM »
I love How I Met Your Mother as I've watched it since it started and have all the sets.  I was never a regular viewer of Whose Line Is It Anyway? though I will watch it when I think of it.  I also like Drew Carey's new improv show though I wish they wouldn't keep reusing certain gimmicks.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2011, 10:04:17 PM »
They did the same with Whose Line..certain sketches tend to be in just about every episode, while others don't turn up that often.  But I still really like the show.

I've seen some of Carey's new show..i need to remember to watch it again.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2011, 10:43:29 AM »

Transformers
From director Michael Bay and executive producer Steven Spielberg comes a thrilling battle between the AUTOBOTS™ and the DECEPTICONS™. When their epic struggle comes to Earth, all that stands between the evil DECEPTICONS™ and ultimate power is a clue held by Sam Witwicky (Shia LaBeouf). Join the fight for mankind in the extraordinary adventure that "features some of the most spectacular action and effects sequences of any movie of its kind and will appeal to the kid in all of us." Claudia Puig, USA Today

I decided to watch Transformers again recently.  The movie has plot issues, but it is fun and entertaining overall.  It works well as a mindless action movie.  The special effects are done well and the robots look cool, though I can't tell them all apart.  I do better with the Autobots since they have more colors.  The Decepticons all look the same to me in robot form.  In some of the action scenes, it is basically impossible to tell which robots are fighting.  I don't remember having that much trouble telling them apart in the animated series.  The characters are fine, though all of them could have been developed more.  Megan Fox is clearly here just as eye candy.

Despite the plot issues and my trouble telling which robot was which, I still enjoy this one as a mindless action movie.

I did get a review posted on Epinions after I originally saw the movie in the theater.

Transformers

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2011, 10:52:59 AM »

Miss Congeniality
Legs waxed. Lips glossed. Gun ready. FBI Agent Gracie Hart is going undercover as a hopeful eager to be the next Miss United States. But Gracie doesn't have a beauty-pageant bone in her body.

Sandra Bullock gets physical in Miss Congeniality, bringing her powerhouse talent for physical comedy to the role of an operative posing as a pageant contestant in order to ferret out a terrorist targeting the event. Michael Caine deliciously plays the frustrated consultant hired to turn the FBI's Dirty Harriet into a poised beauty. And Benjamin Bratt, Candice Bergen, William Shatner and Ernie Hudson also score points for hilarity in this box-office smash. From big laughs to sly quips, Miss hits.

Alice in Wonderland
Tumble down the rabbit hole with Alice for a fantastical adventure from Walt Disney Pictures and Tim Burton. Inviting and magical, Alice in Wonderland is an imaginative new twist on one of the most beloved stories of all time. Alice (Mia Wasikowska), now 19 years old, returns to the whimsical world she first entered as a child and embarks on a journey to discover her true destiny. This Wonderland is a world beyond your imagination and unlike anything you've seen before. The extraordinary characters you've loved come to life richer and more colorful than ever. There's the Mad Hatter (Johnny Depp), the White Queen (Anne Hathaway), the Red Queen (Helena Bonham Carter), the White Rabbit (Michael Sheen) and more. A triumphant cinematic experience – Alice in Wonderland is an incredible feast for your eyes, ears and heart that will captivate audiences of all sizes.

I recently rewatched both of these movies.  I know I've posted about both of them here before, so that's why I'm putting them together in one post.

I really like both of them and I still enjoyed them even though I've seen them multiple times.  Both of them are a little silly at times, but that's part of what I like about them.  These are just fun movies for me.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
Re: Marie's Random Movie Viewing
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2011, 09:17:04 AM »
Pineapple Express

I have some issues with Seth Rogen, but I have still seen several of his movies.  I decided to watch Pineapple Express when I found it on one of the movie channels I get.  I think it was one of the Encore channels. 

The plot is fairly straight forward even with the attempts at complication that turn up.  The main characters are stoned out of their minds most of the time and that does impair their judgement.  There are some very funny scenes in the movie, but there are also some attempts at humor that just don't work.  There is violence in some scenes, some of which is a little graphic.  Rogen's character is involved in a rather disturbing relationship.  None of the characters are that interesting or likable.

I've seen that the movie is available on DVD and Blu-ray.  I have no idea what sort of extras they might have.  I'm really not interested in finding out and I highly doubt I'd ever add this one to my collection.

The movie has a few entertaining and funny moments, but it isn't enough overall.

I did get a review posted on Epinions.

Pineapple Express
« Last Edit: August 08, 2011, 09:24:22 AM by Dragonfire »

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2011, 09:29:43 AM »

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone
Uncover the intimate details of the search to cast Harry Potter and his friends. See Daniel, Rupert and Emma's never-before-seen screen tests. Be there with stars and filmmakers walking onto the set of the exciting first day of shooting. Learn about Chris Columbus' critical, step-by-step decisions behind the creation of Harry Potter's world on screen. Look back on an amazing decade's worth of movies with Daniel, Rupert and Emma in new and vintage interviews never seen before.

I recently decided to watch the Harry Potter movies again.  I watched the Ultimate Edition versions of all but one of the movies - since that one isn't out yet.

I've lost track of how many times I've seen this movie and I still love it.  There is an extended version of the movie that has 7 extra minutes.  The extra minutes are mostly just a few short bits here and there, but they work well.  Some things have been changed from the book, but overall, it is a really good adaptation. 

The extras with this set are wonderful.  There is all kinds of information tied to the making of the first movie.  There are interviews with Danial, Emma, and Rupert from when the first movie was filming as well as some done during the filming of other movies too.  That really shows how much they have changed since the first movie was made.  Most of the one extra is tied to all the work going into making the first movie, but a few things tied to later movies is shared as well.  The set has a little book that has lots of pictures.  The extras from the original DVD release are also included in the set.  The movie looks really good on Blu-ray, and I noticed a lot of little details that I hadn't before.

I am pretty sure that I posted about this movie here before.  I think I even shared the link to the review at Epinions.  I'll share it again just in case I forgot.  That review was posted after I saw the movie in the theater.  It is one of my older reviews.

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone
« Last Edit: August 08, 2011, 09:44:34 AM by Dragonfire »

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2011, 09:59:03 AM »

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
Discover the intriguing inside stories of why so many of Britain's most celebrated stars took roles in the series. See the newly unveiled screen test between Daniel Radcliffe and Evanna Lynch (selected to play Luna out of 15,000 hopefuls!) Go on the set to see firsthand how each of the directors brought unique strengths to the series. Witness the amazing transformations as Daniel, Rupert and Emma grow with their characters over a decade of unprecedented filmmaking.

Things start to get a little darker in this one, and a little more complicated for Harry.  The story is really entertaining and again, the adaptation stays fairly close to the book.  I could have done without the snakes and the basalisk.  That think is freaky.  Daniel, Emma, and Rupert are already doing a bit better with their acting.  Rupert especially looks older than in the last movie. 

The main extra in this one from the Ultimate Edition is focused on how they created the looks for the different locations and created the magical effects.  The extra is really interesting and definitely worth checking out.  There is footage that was shot while the movie was filming, and some that was tied to the later movies..like when a new location was introduced.  Some things from the sixth movie are included - I believe they were filming it when they started working on the Ultimate Edition stuff.  Nothing from the seventh movie is included.  Now that I've seen both parts of Deathly Hallows, it would have been nice to have those new locations and things included in the featurette.  The movie, just like the first, looks wonderful on Blu-ray.

I still love this movie even though I've seen it numerous times now.

I think I posted about it here before and shared the link to my review at Epinions.  I'll share the link again just in case I didn't share it before.

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2011, 10:16:09 AM »

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
Wonders never seen before...
Go behind the scenes at the Creature Shop, where wizards of animatronics, prosthetic makeup and computer-generated imagery work their magic • Share Daniel, Rupert and Emma's memories of creatures from the magnificent Buckbeak to the malevolent Dementors • Watch as creatures develop from page to sketch to model to screen • Discover how actors are transformed from humans to rats and werewolves • Witness Voldemort's evolution from grotesque, infant-like creature to the Darkest Force of all.

While I still really enjoyed this movie, I did wonder about some of the changes - I still don't think there was a need to move the Whomping Willow or Hagrid's house.  I also think that a few explanations were left out that should have been included.  I know someone who hadn't read the book before seeing the movie and they were completely confused on some things.  It wouldn't have taken that long to share the few little bits.  It is a decent adaptation overall.  I like the new characters and creatures that turn up.  The story continues to get a little darker, just like with the books.  There is a little more violence, though nothing too extreme.  There are a lot of magical elements to the movie.  I love how often the moving portraits are seen, even just in the backgrounds.  I was disappointed that Nealy Headless Nick was missing.  This was the first of the books that didn't deal with something closely tied to Voldemort....and he doesn't turn up in any way.  The dementors are wonderfully creepy.  The movie, like the first two, looks wonderful on Blu-ray.  I still don't really like the look of the werewolf in wolf form, but that is a minor issue for me.

The main extra in this Ultimate Edition is focused on how the different creatures have been made.  Creatures from all the movies through the sixth one are featured.  The different models used are seen, including a huge one of one of the dragons from the fourth movie.  The special effects used to create other creatures, like Buckbeak, are discussed.  The featurette is wonderfully entertaining and interesting.  Again there are interviews with cast and crew, including Daniel, Emma, and Rupert. 

I did post a review on Epinions after I saw the movie in the theater originally. 

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2011, 10:30:31 AM »

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Journey into the Magic of Music and Sound...
Discover how musical themes for Harry, Hedwig, Luna and Lord Voldermort define each  character's on-screen identity • Learn how sound effects experts create the crunch of footsteps on snow and the whoosh of a flying broomstick • Go to the recording studios and see how each of the composers brought his orchestral vision to the films • Plunge into the fun as Daniel gets the sound of underwater dialogue just right • Feel the magic as music is added to a scene, intensifying the action and guiding the story.

This movie sees yet another new director making different choices and an adaptation that is good, though not as good as it could have been.  There are a few important details not included..something that happened far too often with these movies.  The task when Harry has to deal with the dragon is made longer, including a bit of a chase that wasn't in the book and really wasn't needed.  The story continues getting a bit darker and there is more violence, mostly later in the movie.  Some of what happens is a bit disturbing.  It makes sense that this is the first of the movies to be rated PG-13. 

Daniel, Emma, and Rupert continue to improve their acting.  The cast is all wonderful, it is just too bad that some of them don't get more to do.  The movie looks great on Blu-ray.

The main extra on the Ultimate Edition is focused on the sound and music.  I didn't take the time to watch it yet, but I will.  I'm sure it will just as interesting as the extras in the previous Ultimate Editions have been.  There are at least a few extra scenes included in the movie.  There is a slightly different opening that works really well.

I did post a review at Epinions after seeing the movie in the theater originally.

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2011, 10:46:42 AM »

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Deeper. Bolder. Darker. As the eight Harry Potter films trace Harry's journey from innocent schoolboy to selfless hero, the series undergoes a transformation. Evolution – packed with exclusive content only available here – takes you along for every exciting step of the 10-year filmmaking odyssey.

I had some concerns before seeing this movie originally because I had issues with the book.  It is my least favorite of the books because of Harry's attitude.  While it is understandable that he's upset about certain things, I just didn't like the way it came across in the book.  It was like he was having a temper tantrum all the time.  Thankfully that was handled better in the movie. 

This one is based on the longest book and it ends up the shortest movie.  I have an article about this movie that had a quote from David Yates in it about how he set out from the beginning to make this movie shorter than others.  As a result of him wanting to make this the shortest of the movies, the story is chopped up entirely too much.  Important explanations are missing and some of the set up for the final movies is left out.  The story really is a bit of a mess with how it is hacked up.  This movie has the worst adaptation and it is my least favorite movie. 

Delores Umbridge is twisted and evil, though I'm not sure she comes across as evil as she did in the book.  Snape is horribly underused again, and his memory is so short when shown it might as well have been left out altogether.  The most important bit of it wasn't included.   Luna is wonderful and absolutely perfect.  Neville is starting to show he's more than a clumsy kid who struggles to get spells right.  I didn't care much for the whole Harry Cho relationship in the book and I think it was handled better in the movie.  It just flowed a little better I guess.  I was disappointed that the more impressive spells that Hermione did in connection with starting Dumbledore's Army were left out.  Those are small things, but they help reinforce just how powerful a witch she already is.  I'm most irritated about the explanations being left out.  It would have just taken a few minutes to cover that stuff.  The way the story was mishandled for this movie, all because Yates insisted on a shorter running time, convinced me that he was not a good pick as director.  While I became a bit less irritated with him in the last 2 movies, I still don't think he was right for Potter.  I did like the way that some information was shared by showing articles in the Daily Prophet.  I also liked Fred and George's escape from the school, though I really wanted to see their swamp.

The main extra in the Ultimate Edition is focused on the changes that the movie series have gone through.  I haven't taken the time to watch this one yet but I will.  The original extras are also included, along with a book that has a lot of pictures from the making of the movies.

I posted a review on Epinions after seeing the movie in the theater.

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2011, 11:04:58 AM »

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
In Harry Potter's world, portraits come to life, potions transform, time reverses, Quidditch players soar, dragons attack and magic is everywhere. Now, fascinating new insights, interviews and watch-it-happen footage let you experience the triumphs of technical wizards who conjured up an awe-inspiring alternate reality.

I have issues with this movie, again with the changes made and things cut out for the most part, but I do like it overall.  I was disappointed that David Yates returned to direct this one..not to mention the final two movies.  The Dursleys are gone again..that doesn't bother me too much, but I don't like the way Harry is out in a muggle coffee shop, reading the Daily Prophet in front of muggles and hitting on the waitress.  That just doesn't seem right to me.  It isn't shared that people are disappearing..that could have easily been done by having Hermione make a comment at the table when she was reading the paper..or even by showing the paper again.  I absolutely hate  the attack on the Burrow.  That scene is pointless and a complete waste of time that could have been spent better setting up the final movies.  Harry is not properly prepared for what he has to do.  I didn't really like how things were changed with Dumbledore's story arc either..it was just a few little changes, but I didn't like them.  Snape still doesn't get enough to do, though it is slightly better.  The memories that are included are done well, but not enough are included.  I read that originally all the memories were in the script, but Yates declared that most of them were unnecessary, so they were cut.  He has no appreciation for the source material and it is really irritating.  Yes I am a bit picky where Harry Potter is concerned.  I can't help it.

The movie does look really good on Blu-ray.

The main extra in the Ultimate Edition is focused on the effects for all the magical things.  I haven't taken the time to watch it yet, but it is just a matter of time. :)

I did post about this one here after I first saw the movie in the theater.  I'll share the link to my Epinions review again.

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince