Author Topic: Tom's TV Pilots marathon  (Read 166982 times)

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
Re: Tom's TV Pilots marathon
« Reply #390 on: November 16, 2012, 08:30:37 PM »
     Wings: Seasons One and Two (1990/United States)
IMDb | Wikipedia

(United States)
Length:642 min.
Video:Full Frame 1.33:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo
Subtitles:

Plot:
Comedy takes off when pilots - and estranged brothers - Joe (Timothy Daly) and Brian Hackett (Steven Weber) reunite to run a commuter airline together. On the small island of Nantucket, the Hacketts run with a first-class crew of neighbors and co-workers, including lunch counter manager and childhood friend Helen Chappel (Crystal Bernard). Their rival Roy Biggins (David Schramm) keeps them on their guard, while sharp-tongued ex stewardess Fay (Rebecca Schull) keeps them on their toes. Big-hearted Italian cab driver Antonio (Tony Shalhoub), and eccentric mechanic Lowell (Thomas Haden Church) always keep life around the terminal interesting. This complete 4-disc set comes packed with surprises and proves how Seasons One & Two became such a high-flying success! From friendship and family to romance and rivalry, when it comes to laughs in this hangar, the sky's the limit.

Wings
Season 1.01 Legacy 19.04.1990
Writer: David Angell (Writer), Peter Casey (Writer), David Lee (Writer)
Director: James Burrows
Cast: Timothy Daly (Joe), Steven Weber (Brian), Crystal Bernard (Helen), Thomas Haden Church (Lowell), David Schramm (Roy), Rebecca Schull (Fay), Torrey Hanson (Passenger), Brigitte Kempt (Woman)

This series came to my attention because I read that it has crossovers from Cheers, a series I very much enjoyed watching. I still haven't seen the whole series, because I found it rather average. The pilot is a good introduction though.

Rating:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: November 16, 2012, 09:41:54 PM »
Watched the pilot of "Wonder Woman". I have already reviewed it here though.

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: November 16, 2012, 10:42:25 PM »
     Wonderfalls: The Complete Series (2004/United States)
IMDb | Wikipedia

(Canada)
Length:573 min.
Video:Anamorphic Widescreen 1.78
Audio:English: Dolby Digital 5.1, Commentary: Dolby Digital 1
Subtitles:English, Spanish

Plot:
Although a recent graduate of Brown University, Jaye Tyler decides to ignore her degree, live in a trailer and work at a tourist gift shop in Niagara Falls called Wonderfalls - much to the despair of her well-to-do family. But Jaye's aimless life takes a startling turn after a lion figurine begins talking to her. Her family calls it an "episode," but Jaye knows better. Fearing for her sanity, Jaye nevertheless starts doing exactly what an increasing number of inanimate objects tell her to do and is amazed when her outrageous actions begin changing people's lives in unexpected ways.

Wonderfalls
Season 1.01 Wax Lion
Writer: Todd Holland (Original Material By), Bryan Fuller (Original Material By), Bryan Fuller (Screenwriter)
Director: Todd Holland
Cast: Caroline Dhavernas (Jaye Tyler), Katie Finneran (Sharon Tyler), Tyron Leitso (Eric Gotts), Lee Pace (Aaron Tyler), William Sadler (Darrin Tyler), Diana Scarwid (Karen Tyler), Tracie Thoms (Mahandra), Gabriel Hogan (Thomas), Scotch Ellis Loring (Muse Voice), Kari Matchett (Beth), Kathryn Greenwood (Unpleasant Customer), Chelan Simmons (Gretchen), Neil Grayston (Alec), Kim Roberts (Peggy), Curt Wu (Doctor), Steven Taylor (Loitering Boy), Bailey Stocker (Ronnie's Daughter), Lisa Marcos (Attractive Nurse), Jorge Molina (Male Tourist), Morgan Drmaj (Bellman), Anna Starnino (Traige Nurse), Corry Karpf (Heidi), Chantal Purdy (Little Girl), Melissa Grelo (Native Princess), Brandon Oakes (Native Chief), Ted Dykstra (Muse Voice)

A great first episode of a great series. At the time I was disappointed that Fox cancelled this series after only a few episodes. Luckily at later was released on DVD. And now I am glad to have a great short series, instead of having it drawn out over multiple seasons.

Rating:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: November 16, 2012, 10:45:05 PM »
I have finally finished this marathon  :dance:

I will add to this thread when I receive new pilots for my collection.

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: January 04, 2013, 03:23:14 PM »
     Ultraviolet: Complete Series (1998/United Kingdom)
IMDb | Wikipedia

Kult TV, Contender Entertainment (United Kingdom)
Length:302 min.
Video:Widescreen 1.66
Subtitles:

Plot:
They look like us.
They act like us.

For centuries vampires have co-existed with humans.
Until now.

Now mankind has the ability to destroy itself, and the vampires need to take control of their threatened food source.

CIB, an elite government force has been formed to combat the threat. But when eternal life is offered, no-one is beyond temptation...

Ultraviolet
Season 1.01 Habeas Corpus
Writer: Joe Ahearne (Writer)
Director: Joe Ahearne
Cast: Jack Davenport (D.S. Michael Colefield), Susannah Harker (Dr. Angie March), Idris Elba (Vaughan Rice), Philip Quast (Father Pearse J. Harman), Stephen Moyer (Jack), Colette Brown (Kirsty), Fiona Dolman (Frances), Ronnie Letham (Pollard), Marc Bolton (Carter), John Ashton (D S Ferman), Lara J. West (Sue), Blondell Taylor (Nurse), Daniel Moynihan (Street Artist), Colin Kerrigan (Computer Operator), Ian Crowe (Pathologist)

As I have just finished watching the third season of "The Vampire Diaries", I thought I would continue with another vampire series. This is a recent blind buy. I was rather bored with the first episode. Though it did show some promise.

Rating:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: February 02, 2013, 08:31:47 PM »
[tom]5051892116909.4f.jpg[/tom]      Pretty Little Liars: Season One (2010/United States)
IMDb | Wikipedia

Warner Home Video (United Kingdom)
Length:925 min.
Audio:
Subtitles:

Pretty Little Liars
Season 1.01 Pilot
Writer: Sara Shepard (Original Material By), I. Marlene King (Writer)
Director: Lesli Linka Glatter
Cast: Troian Bellisario (Spencer Hastings), Ashley Benson (Hanna Marin), Holly Marie Combs (Ella Montgomery), Lucy Hale (Aria Montgomery), Ian Harding (Ezra Fitz), Bianca Lawson (Maya St. Germain), Laura Leighton (Ashley Marin), Chad Lowe (Byron Montgomery), Shay Mitchell (Emily Fields), Nia Peeples (Pam Fields), Julian Morris (Wren Kingston), Janel Parrish (Mona Vanderwaal), Torrey Devitto (Melissa Hastings), Sasha Pieterse (Alison DiLaurentis), Tammin Sursok (Jenna Marshall), Amanda Schul (Meredith Sorenson), Bryce Johnson (Darren Wilden), Carlo Marks (Ian Thomas), Anne Marie DeLouise (Mrs. Di Laurentis), Cody Allen Christian (Mike Montgomery), James Neate (Toby Marshall), Stephen Park (Dept. Store Clerk), William "Big Sleeps" Stewart (Dept. Store Security), Dale Wolfe (Reporter), Sophie Lui (News Reporter), Michael Bean (Minister)

I wanted to check out this series for a while, but it always was too expensive. But recently I had the luck to get the first season in a short-time offer on amazon.co.uk for £11 :)
I enjoyed this first episode and I will continue watching it. But it isn't yet something which I am dying to continue. But this is only after the first episode, so it is still hard to tell.
From the cast I only knew a few beforehand. Of course Holly Marie Combs I knew from Charmed. Lucy Hale I knew as the sister in the Bionic Woman remake. And from a Cinderella movie. And I know Bianca Lawson as Kendra from Buffy. Although it is stretching it a little for her playing a teenager. She is still beautiful but she is already over 30 and next to the other cast it is noticable.
Of course the main reason I was curious about the series is, that it is very well liked in the lesbian community for having a strong lesbian main character. I have to admit my first impression of her is, that she looks very much like Santana from Glee. Which isn't bad, of course ;)

Rating:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: April 11, 2013, 10:50:29 PM »
[tom]4042564131550.5f.jpg[/tom]      Space Rangers: The Complete Series (1992/United States)
IMDb | Wikipedia

AL!VE, Filmverlag Fernsehjuwelen, Kinowelt Home Entertainment (Germany)
Length:280 min.
Audio:German: Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo, English: Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo
Subtitles:

Space Rangers
Season 1.01 Fort Hope

This series I had enjoyed when it first aired on German television. I had wondered, when they will be airing more. I later found out, that this series was cancelled after one episodes in the United States and only six episodes were produced. I think it was rather successful in Germany though. At least it was repeated multiple times.
Some of the actor I will always associate with this series. Like Jeff Kaake, who I later saw in the series Viper (which I still await a DVD release). Or Marjorie Monaghan, who plays my favorite character of the series, later guest starred on Babylon 5. Also strangely, I know the German actor Gottfried John from this series. Otherwise I only know him from Goldeneye. Linda Hunt's character always reminded me of a German teacher I had in fifth grade (and later I had her in Latin in tenth grade). She has about the same height and the same hair style.

Rating:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: June 10, 2013, 10:17:28 PM »
[tom]5051892114882.4f.jpg[/tom]      2 Broke Girls: Season One (2011/United States)
IMDb | Wikipedia

Warner Bros. Home Video (United Kingdom)
Length:495 min.
Audio:English: Dolby Digital 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo
Subtitles:Danish, English, Finnish, Norwegian, Spanish, Swedish

Plot:
One's street-smart and working-class-born; the other's book smart and nouveau bankrupt. Together, unlikely roommates and unlikelier friends Max (Kat Dennings, Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist) and Caroline (Beth Behrs, American Pie Presents: The Book of Love) are two broke girls waiting tables in a Brooklyn diner while trying to save $250,000 to start a cupcake business. It won't be easy, but the pair's saucy humor and blossoming friendship make chasing the American dream a priceless adventure. Enjoy all 24 outrageous Season One episodes from Emmy® winner Michael Patrick King (Sex and the City), plus sweet extras!

2 Broke Girls
Season 1.01 Pilot
Writer: Michael Patrick King (Created By), Whitney Cummings (Created By), Whitney Cummings (Writer), Michael Patrick King (Writer)
Director: James Burrows
Cast: Kat Dennings (Max), Beth Behrs (Caroline), Garrett Morris (Earl), Jonathan Kite (Oleg), Matthew Moy (Han Lee), Brooke Lyons (Peach), Noah Mills (Robbie), Shoshana Bush (Nikki), Cale Hartmann (Hipster #1), Adam Korson (Hipster #2), Alex Enriquez (Hipster #3), Matt Cook (Band Member), Bill Parks (Band Member), Eugene Shaw (Band Member), Sergey Brusilovsky (Oscar), Greg Lewis (Customer), Cocoa Brown (Woman)

The pilot episode was the only episode I have seen before buying this series. I thought it was okay but nothing really special. Enough though to give this series a chance.
I am now over half-way through with the season and I think it is rather average and annoying some times. I am not sure if I want to continue this series.

Rating:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: July 17, 2013, 08:04:07 PM »
[tom]5030697022042.4f.jpg[/tom]      Journeyman: The Complete Series (2007/United States)
IMDb | Wikipedia

(United Kingdom)
Length:522 min.
Video:Anamorphic Widescreen 1.78, Full Frame 1.33:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital 2.0 Surround
Subtitles:

Journeyman
Season 1.01 A Love of a Lifetime

This episode is a good introduction to the series and made me want to watch more.

Rating:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: August 09, 2013, 09:36:47 PM »
[tom]5050582899283.4f.jpg[/tom]      Alphas: Season One (2011/United States)
IMDb | Wikipedia

(United Kingdom)
Length:497 min.
Audio:English:
Subtitles:

Alphas
Season 1.01 Pilot
Writer: Zak Penn (Writer), Michael Karnow (Writer)
Director: Jack Bender
Cast: David Strathairn (Dr. Lee Rosen), Ryan Cartwright (Gary Bell), Warren Christie (Cameron Hicks), Azita Ghanizada (Rachel Pirzad), Laura Mennell (Nina Theroux), Malik Yoba (Bill Harken), Jeff Seymour (The Ghost ("Mr. Morez")), Joe Pingue (Quinn), Callum Keith Rennie (Don Wilson, DoD), Jane Moffat (Sandra Bell), Daniel Kash (Rachel's Dad), Rachael Crawford (Jeannie Harken), Carlos Gonzalez-Vio (Operative), Miranda Edwards (Female FBI Agent), Scott Edgecombe (Corner Store Clerk), Matt Bois (Hotel Manager), Saad Siddiqui (Government Agent), Louise Nicol (Elderly Woman), Paul Sun-Hyung Lee (Manager), Glen Cross (Prisoner), Jimi Shlag (Detective), Bobby Manning (Rasta), Sam Moses (Tailor), Lee Oliveira (Hotel Security Guard), Linlyn Lue (Mom With Stroller), Cassia Xuan Avy Cook (Infant Girl in Stroller), Adam Parker (Tyler Hicks), Amanda Lewis (Patti Hicks), Lee Jay Gladman (Agent Persky), May Charters (Woman at Store)

This series is a complete blind buy for me. I haven't even heard of it before. This first episode was okay, and it suggests that the series might be interesting, but it wasn't really a must-see so far.

Rating:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: August 21, 2013, 08:40:41 PM »
[tom]7321922717672.5f.jpg[/tom]      Gilmore Girls: Season One (2000/United States)
IMDb | Wikipedia

(Germany)
Length:874 min.
Audio:English: Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo, Spanish: Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo, German: Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo
Subtitles:English, German, Other, Portuguese, Spanish, Polish, Romanian

Gilmore Girls
Season 1.01 Pilot
Writer: Amy Sherman-Palladino (Created By), Amy Sherman-Palladino (Writer)
Director: Leslie Linka Glatter
Cast: Lauren Graham (Lorelai Gilmore), Alexis Bledel (Rory Gilmore), Melissa McCarthy (Sookie St. James), Keiko Agena (Lane Kim), Yanic Truesdale (Michel Gerard), Scott Patterson (Luke Danes), Kelly Bishop (Emily Gilmore), Edward Herrmann (Richard Gilmore), Liz Torres (Miss Patty), Jared Padalecki (Dean Forester), Alex Borstein (Drella), Emily Kuroda (Mrs. Kim), Jill Brennan (Mrs. Traister), Cesar Lopapa (Salvador), Marcy Goldman (Woman), Barna Moricz (Joey), Nikki Slater (Girl #1), Heather Shrake (Girl #2), Amy Correa (Girl #3), Jacqueline Smith (Girl #4)

This was a total blind buy. I bought the complete series. Luckily, I enjoyed the first episode. I am already through half the first season and still enjoying it.

Rating:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: September 01, 2013, 02:15:40 PM »
[tom]5039036049627.4f.jpg[/tom]      Teen Wolf: Season One (2011/United States)
IMDb | Wikipedia

Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer, Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment (United Kingdom)
Length:706 min.
Audio:English: Dolby Digital 5.1, French: Dolby Digital 2.0 Surround, Commentary: Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo
Subtitles:

Plot:
Scott McCall (Tyler Posey) just wants to play lacrosse and land a date with beautiful Allison Argent (Crystal Reed), but a werewolf bite has left him with supernatural powers he can't control. With help from his friend (Dylan O'Brien) and a mysterious local werewolf (Tyler Hoechlin), Scott struggles to keep his identity a secret, outrun werewolf hunters and survive high school in this exciting series nominated for six 2011 Teen Choice Awards*.

All 12 exhilirating Season One Teen Wolf episodes are included plus an EXCLUSIVE NEVER-BEFORE-SEEN EXTENDED FINALE - available only on this DVD set!

*Summer TV Show, Summer TV Star — Female (Crystal Reed), Summer TV Star — Male (Tyler Posey), TV Actress — Fantasy/Sci-Fi (Crystal Reed), TV Show — Fantasy/Sci-Fi, TV — Breakout Star (Tyler Posey)

Teen Wolf
Season 1.01 Wolf Moon
Writer: )
Director:
Cast: Tyler Posey (Scott McCall), Crystal Reed (Allison Argent), Dylan O'Brien (Stiles Stilinski), Tyler Hoechlin (Derek Hale), Holland Roden (Lydia Martin), Colton Haynes (Jackson Whittemore), JR Bourne (Mr. Argent), Linden Ashby (Sheriff Stilinski), Orny Adams, Melissa Ponzio, Eaddy Mays (Mrs. Argent), Brad James (Vice Principle)

I found the first episode okay, but nothing special. But so far I am bored with this series. I have watched the first disc and stopped watching it. Not sure if I will continue.

Rating:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: November 13, 2013, 10:36:30 PM »
[tom]6867445001993.4f.jpg[/tom]      Misfits: Series One (2009/United Kingdom)
IMDb | Wikipedia

Channel 4 DVD (United Kingdom)
Length:274 min.
Video:Widescreen 1.78
Subtitles:English

Plot:
A gang of five teenage outsiders – party-girl Alisha, hard-as-nails Kelly, one-time sporting hero Curtis, painfully shy nerd Simon and smart-alec Nathan – get caught in a flash storm while on Community Service and suddenly find themselves with strange superpowers.

Unlike their more conventional counterparts, they don't swap their mobile phones and ankle tags for capes and tights. Instead, they discover just how tough life can be when you're all that stands between good and evil. Well, that and your curfew order...

Misfits
Season 1.01 Episode One
Writer: Howard Overman (Writer), Howard Overman (Created By)
Director: Tom Green
Cast: Antonia Thomas (Alisha), Robert Sheehan (Nathan), Lauren Socha (Kelly), Iwan Rheon (Simon), Josef Altin (Gary), Nathan Stewart-Jarrett (Curtis), Danny Sapani (Tony), Louis Decosta Johnson (Psychotic Tony), Phil Daniels (Voice of Keith The Dog), Michelle Fairley (Louise), Benjamin Smith (Lee), Alex Reid (Sally)

As I am a fan of superhero shows, I just had to buys this when I heard about it. The first episode was okay, though I am not sure yet, if this is a series I will enjoy.

Rating:

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: November 19, 2013, 05:55:34 AM »
I really liked the Misfits, even stuck with it through season 4(?) so far, albeit all main actors from season 1 having left the show by now. Looking forward to purchase season 5 in January.

I hope it'll come around for you.

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: November 19, 2013, 07:32:43 AM »
I am now in season 2 and liking it much better now. The first season dragged a little though.