Author Topic: Inception - No Spoilers  (Read 2958 times)

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
Inception - No Spoilers
« on: July 23, 2010, 12:46:07 AM »
Inception

I've been wanting to see this one since long before I knew anything about it other than that Christopher Nolan was directing it.  I've really enjoyed his other movies that I've seen and think he is a very creative, talented director.  I wanted to go see this on opening day, but I wasn't able to.  I was finally able to see it yesterday.

I'm going to be more vague than I usually am in discussing this movie because I don't want to spoil things for others.

For once, the trailers have been more ambiguous about the plot instead of sharing everything.  I've seen the trailers before seeing the movie, but I did avoid reviews because I didn't want anything spoiled.  I only knew a very basic idea of what would be going on in the movie, and I think that is best. 

As the movie progresses, things do become more complicated with the addition of more story elements, though the main story isn't as complicated.  This movie requires people to pay attention and it definitely makes you think.  That is one of the strongest aspect of the movie.  I love that Nolan didn't dumb the story down and instead seems to believe that the audience has some intelligence.  Some of what happens is confusing for a while and it does take time for things to be fully explained and set up.  The very things I love about the movie may turn other viewers off though.  A few people did leave when I saw the movie..though they only waited like 15 or 20 minutes, so I don't think they really gave the movie a chance.

The action is very well done, and some of the action scenes are very interesting.  The action feels more...organic to what is going on, like it really serves as purpose for the story instead of just serving as an excuse to have fights or things blow up.  Even the slow motion shots - that normally annoy me - feel like they fit in with the story.  The visuals in the movie are absolutely amazing.  The effects are more subtle and used to enhance the things that Nolan actually filmed instead of being used to create big sections of the movie like seems to be done so much in other movies.  Nolan filmed as much he could on actual sets and locations - sometimes on specially built sets - and that does make things seem more realistic.  There is an awesome fight scene at one point that is just really cool to see.  It is done in a unique way and it works.

The characters are interesting while still retaining some mystery in some cases.  There could have been a little bit more about a few of them shared, but the movie still works very well with how things are handled.  The cast is amazing and they all do good jobs in their parts, even when they only have a few short scenes, like Michael Caine.

Inception is the most original and creative movie I've seen in a very long time.  The movie is amazing in every way.  It definitely should be seen at least once in the theater - though repeat viewings will probably make some things make more sense.  This movie proves that not all creativity is gone from movies.

along with a few  :o

I did get a review posted on Epinions.  I don't think that review has spoilers either, though I do say a little more than I did here.

Inception

RossRoy

Re: Inception - No Spoilers
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2010, 02:07:26 PM »
A quick note - Please keep the discussion here spoiler free. If you want to discuss plot points and/or other spoiler-type stuff for Inception, go here