Author Topic: Predators (2010)  (Read 3399 times)

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Predators (2010)
« on: July 10, 2010, 06:36:55 AM »
Synopsis:
PREDATORS, a bold new chapter in the Predator universe, shot under the creative auspices of Robert Rodriguez, stars Adrien Brody as Royce, a mercenary who reluctantly leads a group of elite warriors who come to realise they’ve been brought together on an alien planet... as prey.

With the notable exception of a disgraced physician, they are all cold-blooded killers – mercenaries, Yakuza, convicts, death squad members – human "predators" that are now being systemically hunted and eliminated by a new breed of alien predators.

My comments:
Predators was always a film I would see, but once Robert Rodriguez's name was attached to it it became a MUST-SEE. While it didn't quite live up to those expectations (which were huge ones, at that), I liked it.

So where does that film stand? It seems all they considered was the original Predator film, the story of which is actually mentioned. So is Predators to Predator what Aliens was to Alien? in short no. To me that would have meant the appearance of large amounts of predators (as hinted at by the trailer, actually), which does not happen. It is a lot closer to the original, with its jungle setting and trying to create suspense for the most part. While the one scene of the trailer was deliberately confusing and does obviously not appear, I think the rest of the trailer did a good job of setting up the film without giving away too much. I found myself repeatedly surprised by what happened (I am easily surprised like that, though :-[).

Adrien Brody seems as an odd casting choice in the role of the tough guy, but he grunts himself through creating enough believability. Danny Trejo does his thing. Laurence Fishburne seems to chew the scenery a bit (boy did he get fat; then again, well, so did I :shrug:, guess it's an age thing). Topher Grace (he is playing the physician) surprised me in his role. The other cast members are much less known (one or two faces seemed familiar, but I didn't know anyone by name).

There is some gore here (quite some, actually), done by the excellent team of KNB. CGI seemed to be either be held at a minimum or was done exceptionally well.

There was no Alien reference placed i the film (at least I didn't see it), like it was at the end of Predator 2, only the music took a cue from Alien soundtracks two or three times, which felt extremely out of place to me. Luckilyu it was early on so it wouldn't distract from the action on screen too much.

« Last Edit: July 10, 2010, 06:42:54 AM by Achim »

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
Re: Predators (2010)
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2010, 07:59:13 AM »
I've read a lot of good things about this one and the fact you told there aren't an oversuse of CGI make it more interesting to me. Not that I consider watching it in a theatre, but enough to buy it on dvd... Anyway I don't see this film as a remake, but as the real sequel of the original (I don't remember a lot from the second one except it was set in the city :thumbdown: and never seen and never will the Alien/Predator non sense). The only great thing missing from the original is Sonny Landham (never like this one for Arnold Whatisname) who was awesome in this but since he was killed it was kind of impossible (in the movie of course, not in real life).

Surprise that I can be interested by a "remake" even if it's in name only :whistle:

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2010, 08:12:22 AM »
I think I liked the first movie when I saw it..but it has been so long ago, that I don't remember much.  I don't remember much from the sequel either.

Najemikon

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2010, 01:04:31 PM »
Empire made a good point in their review, which ties in with Achim's comments. The Alien series expanded on the mythology all the time, while the Predator films haven't. We know as much about them now as could be assumed from the first movie especially as it wisely ignores all the crap from Predator 2 and the stupid Aliens Versus films. This isn't a remake, it's seen as the sequel the original one deserved, but in that sense, it is a typical sequel: More of the same. Definitely not Aliens then.

I like that. Back to basics is good. Now maybe they can build a little from here. The comics always managed it (the original Aliens Versus Predator is so good).

Mind you, I liken the Predator to Terminator more than anything. The premise is very simple and used for b-movie action brilliantly. As soon as you expand on that, it starts to go wrong. T3: Not required. Terminator Salvation: Not required. Terminator was perfect when it was simple. Same will always be for Predator, I think.

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2010, 01:14:27 PM »
I thought the second film was okay. But, I really liked the Alien vs Predator film. I will definitely buy this one too!

lyonsden5

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2010, 04:09:34 PM »
I too thought Adrien Brody is an odd choice. I just can't picture him as a tough guy. I figured his character was a regular guy who somehow ended up on this planet and has to do things he didn't know he could do to survive. That I would find believable.

Thanks for the review. Good or bad this in one I would have added anyway. After your review I may add it when it comes out and not wait for the 6 month price drop.