Author Topic: 72 days and counting  (Read 2489 times)

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
72 days and counting
« on: July 01, 2010, 01:54:56 AM »
I cannot believe that it has been 72 days since this ecological disaster started in the Gulf of Mexico.

With all the ideas and methods that have been tried, they still can't plug this hole up.

Here's my solution to getting a better and quicker solution to this problem.

Take every executive officer from British Petroleum and strip them naked and cover them from head to toe with the some of the crude they've skimmed from the surface. Then tell them that they cannot shower it off until they plug up the leak. Once the oil and salt from the water start eating away at their skin, I'll bet they'll find a way to plug it up pretty quick.

Critter

Re: 72 days and counting
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2010, 02:21:11 AM »
I heard that Obama isn't accepting offers of help from other countries. Is that true?

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2010, 03:03:20 AM »
I heard that Obama isn't accepting offers of help from other countries. Is that true?
Wow, that would be incredibly silly, wouldn't it. I hope it isn't true.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2010, 03:12:04 AM »
And now a hurricane is heading for the Gulf. 

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2010, 03:55:51 AM »
It's funny that everybody seem to have forgot the Exxon Valdez disaster? It was as bad (if not worst) and years later nothing was really done and nobody was really compensated for that (even the american supreme court rules in favor of Exxon in most trial).

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2010, 05:20:41 AM »
It's funny that everybody seem to have forgot the Exxon Valdez disaster? It was as bad (if not worst) and years later nothing was really done and nobody was really compensated for that (even the american supreme court rules in favor of Exxon in most trial).

I'm not trying trivialize the Exxon Valdez disaster, but this by far, is more serious than that spill. That was just one tanker of oil. This busted well has been spewing crude for over two months non-stop.

lyonsden5

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2010, 02:24:33 PM »
Yes, it was true. As of this week it is no longer true though.

I live about 15 minutes away from one of the beaches in Florida. Not one that is threatened at the moment, but this obviously is a huge local story for us. While I fault BP I also have to fault our government for their lack of action. Things like not accepting help from other nations along with many of the other bone head things they have done have only made the situation worse. (Like our Coast Guard stopping 16 oil sucking barges from cleaning up the mess because they couldn't confirm that there were enough life preservers on board...).

I wouldn't be surprised if BP comes back and sues our government for contributing to the destruction.

As far as the hurricane goes it's now over MExico and shouldn't be a factor after today. It has already made the matter worse though.

The whole thing gets me sick...  :(

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2010, 02:45:26 PM »
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

hal9g

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2010, 02:57:10 PM »
Yes, it was true. As of this week it is no longer true though.

I live about 15 minutes away from one of the beaches in Florida. Not one that is threatened at the moment, but this obviously is a huge local story for us. While I fault BP I also have to fault our government for their lack of action. Things like not accepting help from other nations along with many of the other bone head things they have done have only made the situation worse. (Like our Coast Guard stopping 16 oil sucking barges from cleaning up the mess because they couldn't confirm that there were enough life preservers on board...).

I wouldn't be surprised if BP comes back and sues our government for contributing to the destruction.

As far as the hurricane goes it's now over MExico and shouldn't be a factor after today. It has already made the matter worse though.

The whole thing gets me sick...  :(

They should have imploded this well on day two!

Handling of this crisis on all sides has been shameful and we will be paying the price for decades!  Simply unforgivable!   :voodoo:

If you estimate the flow at 60,000 barrells/day, that's over 4,000,000 barrells of oil!  I'd say that far outdoes the Valdez spill!   :o
« Last Edit: July 01, 2010, 03:00:03 PM by Hal »

lyonsden5

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2010, 10:09:34 PM »
Reason to celebrate. The well is capped. Even with it only being a temporary fix it will stop the flow!
 :thumbup:

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2010, 12:33:42 AM »
Thank goodness.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2010, 04:15:22 AM »
Thanks for that update Rick, I all but forgot about this already :bag:

lyonsden5

« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2010, 01:46:29 PM »
Now we just have to hope it holds and nothing else bursts due to the added pressure before they can get their relief well's drilled.

Then of course there is still the cleanup.  :(