Author Topic: Never Ending Movie Marathon (short reviews)  (Read 227934 times)

samuelrichardscott

Re: Never Ending Movie Marathon (short reviews)
« Reply #615 on: September 18, 2012, 11:37:52 AM »

Skinwalkers (2006)

Overview:
Creatures, bound by the blood of the wolf, that can kill with curses and move at lightening speed, watching the night sky for the rise of the blood-red crescent moon. They are the SKINWALKERS.
They feed on our flesh and thirst for the taste of human blood. The red moon signals each pack, divided by principles, hell bent to survive an ancient prophecy. On his 13th birthday, Timothy a half-blood, is about to reach the time of his transformation. Closely guarded, he alone has the power to control the destiny of his family, and their kind, a gift that has placed his very life in danger.
Starring hot new horror stars Jason Behr (The Grudge, Dragon Wars) and Rhona Mitra (Doomsday, Shooter) Skinwalkers is bloody, violent and gory to the core!

My Thoughts:
Pros:
- The cast is above average for the genre, in particular Behr, Mitra, Koteas and Malthe.
- There is a cracking little shoot-out at the beginning of the film which helps start the story off well.
- Some good gory scenes and some good humour, generally from the kid character, Timothy.
Cons:
- There are so many better werewolf movies out there... Ginger Snaps, An American Werwolf in London, Big Bad Wolf etc etc.
- Although there are some good gory scenes, the transformation scenes and general werewolf costumes aren't too hot.
- There are brief glimpses of the story exploring so-called bloodlust, but it never really happens.
Overall:
For genre fans only. Low end rent it. 2.5/5

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #616 on: September 18, 2012, 11:46:35 AM »

The Graves (2009)

Overview:
On their last weekend together, Megan and Abby Graves are lost in a remote part of the Arizona desert where they are lured to Skull City Mine, an abandoned mine town. But they soon learn Skull City is anything but abandoned – and there's no way out.
The sisters are now prey, forced to unleash their most primitive instincts in a desperate, all out battle for survival against unspeakable horrors – both human and supernatural.
Can they unlock the terrifying secrets of Skull City in time to save themselves or will they become the latest in a long line of victims?

My Thoughts:
Pros:
- Cameos from Bill Mosely and Tony Todd are always welcome in a horror movie.
- The brief moments of gore are well done.
Cons:
- Although the leads Jillian Murphy and Clare Grant look good, I can't see them ever escaping low-budget horror with their level of acting here.
- Director Brian Pulido could've done a better job at building up tension. It's not very atmospheric.
- As unoriginal as it gets.
Overall:
Skip it. A couple of interesting moments, but not enough tension or scares. 2/5

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #617 on: September 18, 2012, 11:57:01 AM »

Coraline (2009)

Overview:
From the visionary director of THE NIGHTMARE BEFORE CHRISTMAS, and based on Neil Gaiman's best-selling book, comes this spectacular stop-motion animated adventure!
Coraline Jones (Dakota Fanning) is bored until she finds a secret door and discovers an alternate, better version of her life on the other side.
When this seemingly perfect world turns dangerous, and her other parents – including her Other Mother (Teri Hatcher) – try to trap her forever; Coraline must use her resourcefulness, determination and bravery to escape this perilous world – save her family.

My Thoughts:
Pros:
- It looks stunning. The stop motion is among the best I've seen on screen.
- An unexpected voice cast including Teri Hatcher and Dakota Fanning are surprisingly suitable for their characters.
- I think it is just the right amount of 'dark' for the intended younger audience.
Cons:
- It is obviously supposed to have several comic moments, but they aren't funny enough.
- The story just isn't one that is exciting enough. It's okay, but I'd hoped for more considering it's based on a Neil Gaiman story.
- Some of the music choices didn't suit the scenes IMO.
Overall:
Technically brilliant, but the film itself is rather overrated. Rent it. 3/5

Offline Piffi

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #618 on: September 18, 2012, 12:17:25 PM »
Nice! I havent seen this one yet, but i have it in my unwatched pile. But i havent taken the time yet to watch it, since its lasting so long. Specially the bluray version of it. But i do like both Crowe and Washington's work :) So this will be an interesting one.
I agree with Sam's review. It's been a while since I have seen it but I seem to remember that the running generally was not a problem, it being a well paced film. You should schedule it in somehow, it's still below 3 hours...

Cool! I'll have to do that :) Its a movie that i have wanted to see for a long time, (dont get me wrong) and now i'm in a moving proccess again! Will be finished on Monday i hope :\
Hopefully next week i get the chance to put it in! :)
I remember i saw the documentary about that time in NYC. Was real interesting.
We'll Always Have Paris.

Thomas

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #619 on: September 18, 2012, 01:18:53 PM »
There is a documentary about another 70's NY criminal called Mr. Untouchable that someone has pointed me towards. Was that the documentary you've seen? I hope to check it out eventually.

Offline Piffi

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #620 on: September 18, 2012, 01:39:53 PM »
Hm, i dont know if its Mr.Untouchable, but it was about a man named Frank Lucas and his crew. And how they ruled the streets of NYC
I remember i watched that documentary a few years ago on the History channel. And it was after that i wanted to check out the American Gangster too! :)
We'll Always Have Paris.

Thomas

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #621 on: September 18, 2012, 03:30:21 PM »

Blood: The Last Vampire (2009)

Overview:
Armed with just a samurai sword and a whole bunch of attitude, Saya, a half-human half-vampire, works for a covert US government agency hunting down and slaying a super species of Vampires. After a series of brutal murders leads Saya to a US military base she must prepare herself for an action packed, blood shredding showdown with Onigen, the original and ultimate Vampire.

My Thoughts:
Pros:
- There is enough change from the original OVA to make sure this isn't strictly a remake.
- Jeon Ji-hyun is very good in the lead role, with stunts being of passable quality.
- There are moments of good action choreography such as the sword fight near the beginning.
Cons:
- Apart from the blood splatter, the special effects/CGI are questionable.
- The supporting cast are generally quite mediocre.
- The structure of the movie became a bit repetitive.
Overall:
Not as good as the OVA, suffers from poor effects and structure, but still enough to like for a low-end rental. 2.5/5

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #622 on: September 18, 2012, 08:35:12 PM »

The Informers (2008)

Overview:
In his bestselling novels (American Psycho, Less Than Zero), author Bret Easton Ellis established himself as a modern chronicler of decadence, and a writer who reveals the dark shadows behind lives of wealth and glamour. Academy Award® winners Billy Bob Thornton (Best Adapted Screenplay, Sling Blade, 1997) and Kim Basinger (Best Actress in a Supporting Role, L.A. Confidential, 1998) and Acadamy Award® nominees Winona Ryder (Best Actress in a Leading Role, Little Women, 1995) and Mickey Rourke (Best Actor in a Leading Role, The Wrestler,2009) star in an interweaving tale, which unfolds in Los Angeles in the decadent 80s; a city ruled by addictions of every type – from sex, to drugs, to power – where youth is wasted, where love is fleeting where every night is a headlong rush to the next orgy of sensation. Sooner or later, the party has to end... and the hangover is bound to be a killer. Also starring Chris Isaak, Brad Renfro, Amber Heard (Pineapple Express) and Austin Nichols (TV’s "One Tree Hill"). Featuring 80s flashback music loaded with tracks from ‘new wave’ recording legends.

My Thoughts:
Pros:
- Some great soundtrack selections from the eighties.
- It doesn't hold back on the sleaze of the characters.
- Amber Heard. Naked. A lot.
Cons:
- Such a great ensemble cast and none of them can be bothered. Disappointing, especially from Billy Bob Thornton and Kim Basinger.
- By the end of the movie, I not only didn't care about what happened to the characters, I didn't want to know.
- The better intertwining subplots didn't have as much screentime as the godawful ones. Mickey Rourke's character should've been one with more presence.
Overall:
Unlikeable movie and I bet author Bret Easton Ellis is more disappointed than anybody. Skip it. 1.5/5

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #623 on: September 19, 2012, 12:51:57 AM »

Defendor (2009)

Overview:
Arthur Poppington (Woody Harrelson, 2012) doesn't need super powers or fancy toys to fight crime. Armed only with a childlike sense of wonder and his quirky arsenal of cheap, home-made gadgets he becomes DEFENDOR!
He finds an unexpected partner when he rescues and falls for a local prostitute (Kat Dennings, Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist). Can the two of them take down the city's most fearsome crime boss without getting killed in the process?

My Thoughts:
Pros:
- The cast. Woody Harrelson and Kat Dennings are two of my faves in the business and they both do a sterling job here.
- The way that the movie infuses a lot of drama into the storyline. It's not your typical superhero movie and it relies on the underlying traits of goodness in both of the main characters to get past the fact Harrelson is mentally slow and Dennings is a junkie hooker.
- The story is very well paced, and includes comedic moments in all the right places.
- Like many superhero movies it asks the question of whether the superhero 'vigilantes' are a good thing or a bad thing society wise, but it's not an overpowering part of the plot.
Cons:
- It takes a good twenty minutes to get a feel for the tone of the movie.
- Some of the characters lack a bit of common sense and that takes away from the cleverness of using Defendor's mental slowness as a powerful repeating point a little.
Overall:
In twenty years time, I hope this movie, along with "Super" and "Griff the Invisible" becomes a true cult classic. Recommended. 4/5

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #624 on: September 19, 2012, 06:05:26 AM »
Cons:
- It takes a good twenty minutes to get a feel for the tone of the movie.
I fault the trailer for this. I saw the trailert before watching the film (Tom had posted it here in the forum) and they seemed to try to catch the Kick-Ass audience with that fast-paced action-y trailer. The film is good, but it's not Kick-Ass (and I mean that very objectively), which is why I needed to adjust to the film at first as I was expecting something else.

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #625 on: September 19, 2012, 09:45:11 AM »
Yeah, I agree with that Achim. The trailer plays it as something it isn't and when you go into something expecting a particular type of movie to be hit with something quite different, it takes a little time to adjust in your mind. The same happened for me with Hesher.

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #626 on: September 19, 2012, 01:10:02 PM »

The Departed (2006)

Overview:
Rookie cop Billy Costigan Leonardo DiCaprio) grew up in crime. That makes him the perfect mole, the man on the inside of the mob run by boss Frank Costello (Jack Nicholson). It's his job to win Costello's trust and help his detective handlers (Mark Wahlberg and Martin Sheen) bring Costello down. Meanwhile, SIU officer Colin Sullivan (Matt Damon) has everyone's trust. No one suspects he's Costello's mole.
How these covert lives cross, double-cross and collide is at the ferocious core of the widely acclaimed The Departed. Martin Scorcese directs, guiding a cost for the ages in a visceral tale of crime and consequences. This is searing, can't-look-away filmmaking: like staring into the eyes of a con - or a cop - with a gun.

My Thoughts:
Pros:
- Perfectly cast. From Matt Damon to Mark Wahlberg, Leonardo Dicaprio to Ray Winstone and Jack Nicholson. Superb choices.
- Despite being significantly longer than the base material "Infernal Affairs", it still manages to fly by which is the sign of a well told story.
- The script has changed a little from the base material so that it fits better in a Western setting, but the changes are subtle and well done, even giving the movie a different feel.
- The ending. Just like "Infernal Affairs", the ending packs a punch and takes the wind out of you.
Cons:
- Anthony Anderson. I'm a fan of his, but he just seemed out of place amongst the superior talent.
Overall:
A fantastic film. I have to highly recommend it, and the only reason I don't give it a 5/5 is because that is reserved for the superior original, "Infernal Affairs". 4.5/5

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #627 on: September 19, 2012, 01:13:06 PM »
On a side note, The Departed joins my best of 2006. I am yet to give a 5/5 for a 2006 release but this is the 8th 4.5/5. It joins:
- Babel
- The Last King of Scotland
- Little Children
- Lucky Number Slevin
- The Prestige
- Running Scared
- This is England

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #628 on: September 19, 2012, 04:15:12 PM »

Powder Blue (2009)

Overview:
Jessica Biel, Ray Liotta, Forest Whitaker and Eddie Redmayne lead a top-notch cast in this powerful thriller about an overwhelmed erotic dancer, a grieving husband who has lost his will to live, a terminally ill ex-con and a pathologically shy mortician. With Kris Kristofferson, Lisa Kudrow and Patrick Swayze in unforgettable supporting roles, this film movingly chronicles the imperfect lives of people teetering on the edge of despair and the miracles that bring them back.

My Thoughts:
Pros:
- Not only have we got a very good primary cast, we also have a great supporting cast.
- The four main subplots intertwine with each other very well.
- It's emotionally charged and it doesn't let up all the way through. It's helped mostly by Forest Whitaker and Jessica Biel.
Cons:
- Lisa Kudrow. Come on Hollywood! Stop giving this woman movie work. She just isn't good enough.
- Some of the dialogue from characters with just a couple of lines is a little clunky and feels forced.
Overall:
This isn't a happy film, but it is worth the effort. Unfortunately it will become known more for Jessica Biel's topless scenes, than the characters. Recommended. 3.5/5
« Last Edit: September 19, 2012, 11:19:56 PM by samuelrichardscott »

Offline DSig

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #629 on: September 19, 2012, 04:42:55 PM »

Powder Blue (2009)

Overview:
Jessica Biel, Ray Liotta, Forest Whitaker and Eddie Redmayne lead a top-notch cast in this powerful thriller about an overwhelmed erotic dancer, a grieving husband who has lost his will to live, a terminally ill ex-con and a pathologically shy mortician. With Kris Kristofferson, Lisa Kudrow and Patrick Swayze in unforgettable supporting roles, this film movingly chronicles the imperfect lives of people teetering on the edge of despair and the miracles that bring them back.

My Thoughts:
Pros:
- Not only have we got a very good primary cast, we also have a great supporting cast.
- The four main subplots intertwine with each other very well.
- It's emotionally charged and it doesn't let up all the way through. It's helped mostly by Forest Whitaker and Jessica Biel.
Cons:
- Lisa Kudrow. Come on Hollywood! Stop giving this women movie work. She just isn't good enough.
- Some of the dialogue from characters with just a couple of lines is a little clunky and feels forced.
Overall:
This isn't a happy film, but it is worth the effort. Unfortunately it will become known more for Jessica Biel's topless scenes, than the characters. Recommended. 3.5/5

I haven't seen this, though plan to now .. i have have to admit my first response while reading the cast was ... Come on Hollywood! Stop giving this woman movie work :-)
Thank you
David