Author Topic: Never Ending Movie Marathon (short reviews)  (Read 229824 times)

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
Re: Never Ending Movie Marathon (short reviews)
« Reply #570 on: June 04, 2012, 11:56:34 PM »
First time I read a good review of this... Didn't know it was release on DVD, how is the quality? Transferred from film or tape?

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #571 on: June 04, 2012, 11:58:17 PM »
First time I read a good review of this... Didn't know it was release on DVD, how is the quality? Transferred from film or tape?

Which movie? Escape to Victory? If so, then the transfer is average. It's a studio release but some scenes do suffer from a bit of noticeable artefacting but still better than anything VHS can offer.

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #572 on: June 05, 2012, 12:42:05 AM »
Yes it's the one. The price is really good (I talk about the normal release, the flag coming with the special edition doesn't interest me). I put it my wishlist for a future purchase as all my DVD money is already committed for this month.

Thanks for the review :thumbup:

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #573 on: June 05, 2012, 12:11:38 PM »

The Killing Machine (2010) AKA Icarus

Overview:
There were those who called him Icarus. Everyone else knew him as a divorced father working for an investment company. But they didn't know his other side - his dark side. Because Icarus (Dolph Lundgren) was at his best when he was killing people. For years, he'd worked as a sleeper agent in America - but when the Soviet Empire collapsed, he found himself in a foreign country with no one to trust. Determined to break from his dark past, he started over with a new identity. But you can only escape your past for so long. When a sudden mishap in Hong Kong blows Icarus identity, past and present collide - and the assassin realizes he is now the target. The people that want him dead will stop at nothing to get to him. And that means going after what he cares about most - his wife and daughter. Fighting for his life, Icarus is forced to face the demons of his past to protect the loved ones in his present. He must fight to save the only thing he's ever done right in his life. He needs to uncover who is after him and protect his family, before it's too late.

My Thoughts:
Like Seagal and Van Damme, Dolph Lundgren is one of those old school action stars who is churning out a movie every couple of months. That's fine by me of course, because usually these movies have some corny dialogue and fun action scenes to keep you entertained. Unfortunately, The Killing Machine (AKA Icarus) is not one of the better ones. Whilst you expect the story to be tired, you don't expect it to have quite so many plot holes when it came to the 'enemy' characters. Lundgren does an ok job in the director's chair and allows the film to move quickly and the casting of Stefanie von Pfetten and Samantha Ferris are reasonable decisions that could've been better but also could've been worse. The fight choreography and action scenes are not as good as previous Lundgren films, though there are a couple of entertaining moments, and the script/dialogue is poor, even by genre standards. Overall, it's a lacklustre affair and only for hardcore Lundgren fans. Skip it. 2/5
« Last Edit: June 05, 2012, 12:14:13 PM by samuelrichardscott »

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #574 on: June 05, 2012, 04:00:05 PM »

Bamboozled (2000)

Overview:
Bamboozled centers around a black television writer, who is pressured by his television network to come up with a 'coonish' black comedy show for the current season. With the help of his assistant the young television executive attempts to prove a point by creating the most racist, obscene show he can imagine; 'Mantan - The New Millennium Minstrel Show'. Unfortunately, he is unprepared for the fallout when the Minstrel Show, along with the show's tap dancing, blackface-clad star, Mantan and his sidekick Sleep'N Eat, become the most popular thing on television.

My Thoughts:
Spike Lee is a controversial director and Bamoboozled is a controversial movie. Whilst I agree wholeheartedly that racism is wrong, it does go both ways and sometimes (in movies at least) I find Lee oversteps the mark from being satirical to being a racist hypocrite himself (in interviews he just comes across as a prick). That does occasionally become the case here, but then it is a film that is all about race. The storyline is actually an interesting one, but it's poorly utilised and the some of the cast members do not help. Damon Wayans is beyond awful as the main character Pierre, and Michael Rapaport is also capable of so much better. Instead, it's the more understated characters that shine, such as Jada Pinkett Smith's Sloan. The movie does carry a powerful message but it carries it to strongly for its own good and just becomes a bit of a chore. It's worth one watch, but only as a low priority rental. 2.5/5

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #575 on: June 05, 2012, 06:14:19 PM »

Dracula 2001 (2000) AKA Dracula 2000

Overview:
The master of modern horror, Wes Craven (the Scream Trilogy), presents a riveting adaptation of the chilling classic featuring Jonny Lee Miller (Trainspotting), Jennifer Esposito (Summer Of Sam) and Omar Epps (In Too Deep). When a team of techno-savvy thieves break into a high-security vault, they don't discover priceless artworks...they find a crypt unopened for 100 years. Suddenly, the ancient terror of Dracula is unleashed in the chaotic 21st century. Free to follow his pursuits of seduction and power, Dracula's first destination is America and the exotic city of New Orleans, a place where he feels right at home. Not far behind, however, is a young vampire hunter (Miller) from London determined to save a young woman (Justine Waddell) with whom Dracula shares his dark legacy.

My Thoughts:
There are a LOT of good Dracula movies out there. From Nosferatu to the Hammer Horror Dracula films, the Gary Oldman starring Dracula through to Interview with the Vampire. In fact, there are so many that it is always a brave decision to make a Dracula movie in a saturated market. Still, Patrick Lussier directed Dracula 2000, and although it isn't a great film, it's a commendable effort. He made a good start with the casting of Christopher Plummer as Abraham Van Helsing, but he also made some good casting decisions on people who have become well known since, including Gerard Butler, Jennifer Esposito and Nathan Fillion. Jonny Lee Miller and Jeri Ryan are also welcome additions to the cast. The storyline isn't brilliant, but it is capable and includes a fun twist on the Dracula mythology and there are some nice little scares and special effects. If you're a horror fan, you'll find this entertaining enough. Rent it. 3/5

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #576 on: June 05, 2012, 08:26:20 PM »

Babylon A.D. (2008)

Overview:
In the darkly futuristic world of Babylon A.D., the rules are simple: kill or be killed. Hard-hitting action superstar Vin Diesel (XXX, The Fast and the Furious, The Chronicles of Riddick), stars as Toorop, a ruthless mercenary hired to smuggle a mysterious young woman from the post-apocalyptic confines of Eastern Europe to the glittering megalopolis of New York City. Hunted at every turn, Toorop spirits his charge across a nightmarish wasteland only only to uncover a shocking secret that will bring the entire world to its knees. Eye-popping action and mind-blowing special effects clash head-on in this hard-edged film, where the only rule is survival.

My Thoughts:
Futuristic actioner starring Vin Diesel which was better than I had expected after reading some negative reviews. Sure, despite there being some cracking talent in the mix like Charlotte Rampling, Michelle Yeoh, Gerard Depardieu and Melanie Thierry, the acting isn't as good as one would hope, but it's not poor either. It does at times feel as though that the storyline was sacrificed for the set pieces but it's still an enjoyable story and the action scenes are average standard fun with some good special effects. I really liked the feel of the locations and I think the set designers deserve some recognition, more so than the studio who went with a crappy ending and cut 70 minutes which obviously has an adverse affect on the movie. Director Matthieu Kassovitz publicly slated how bad this studio cut is, and an Extended Edition is now available adding an additional ten minutes. Hopefully one day we'll get the full 160 minute version Kassovitz intended. 3/5
« Last Edit: June 05, 2012, 08:31:58 PM by samuelrichardscott »

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #577 on: June 05, 2012, 08:55:21 PM »
I have this one in my unwatched pile.
Pete

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #578 on: June 06, 2012, 02:08:51 PM »

The Monster Squad (1987)

Overview:
You know who to call when you have ghosts, but who do you call about monsters? Whether it's a bat in your belfry or a mummy in your microwave, THE MONSTER SQUAD ain't afraid of no ghouls!
Count Dracula has until midnight to retrieve an ancient amulet that will give him final control over the delicate balance between good and evil in the world. To help him, the creepy count calls on some old friends: the weird Wolfman, grotesque Gill-Man, mildewed Mummy and freaky Frankenstein. As the ghoulish group gets closer to the amulet, it's up to THE MONSTER SQUAD, headquartered in the local tree house, to pool its questionable resources and stop the monster mayhem!

My Thoughts:
My Bias: The Goonies is my favourite movie of all time.
The Monster Squad is kind of like The Goonies, but with classic monsters instead of the Fratellis. The kids are decent enough actors, the script has moments of hilarity and the effects are reasonable. Although it doesn't capture the feel of adventure and fantasy as well as The Goonies but it doesn't stop it from being fun. Some of the one-liners are certainly quite risque for a kids movie (like the whole looking for a virgin thing) but that is part of it's charm that I still enjoy it as an adult. Recommended. 4/5

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #579 on: June 07, 2012, 12:05:04 PM »

Dunston Checks In (1996)

Overview:
Robert's a beleaguered concierge of the luxury hotel owned by Mrs. Dubrow. She tells Robert an undercover reviewer is coming and to look sharp. If he does well he might get a promotion and some time off to take his sons, Brian and Kyle, on vacation. But then the villainous jewel-thief Rutledge checks in with his specially trained orangutan, Dunston. And when Dunston gets loose and tries to escape a life of crime with the help of Brian and Kyle, things go just a little lunatic.

My Thoughts:
I last saw this movie in the cinema when I was just a nipper at twelve years of age and noticed it was in its 'last chance' phase on one of the on demand channels. I thought I'd give it another whirl because my memories of it were quite sketchy, and it wasn't bad family film... it just wasn't very good either. Jason Alexander is ok as the concierge and the two kids are played quite well by Eric Lloyd and Graham Sack but the best performances, as it often the case with these movies, is from the orangutan. Faye Dunaway, one of the reasons I decided to watch this movie again apart from nostalgia, was poor though, and it was plain to see that she knew it. Storyline wise, quite fun for a kids film, with an orangutan being used by a jewel thief to get into peoples hotel rooms and steal their valuables with chaos ensuing when the orangutan makes friends with the concierge's kids. The set pieces could've been funnier, and the situations sillier, but it is worth a low end rental. 2.5/5

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #580 on: June 07, 2012, 02:53:32 PM »

Camel Spiders (2011)

Overview:
From Executive Producer ROGER CORMAN Comes The Ultimate Crawling Terror! In the deserts of the Middle East, a platoon of soldiers is terrorized by a gang of large, fast and deadly arachnids called Camel Spiders. The soldiers escape the deadly attack but accidently transport several of the evil beasts with them to the American southwest. An Army Captain (Brian Krause of Charmed), a small-town Sheriff (C. Thomas Howell of Southland and The Amazing Spider-Man) and a desperate group of locals and tourists must survive a frightening infestation of crawling carnage. Diana Terranova (Get Him to the Greek), GiGi Erneta (Raptor) and Jon Mack (Mongolian Death Worm) co-star in this cult classic from director Jim Wynorski (Dinocroc vs. Supergator). Based on the actual creatures that have tormented the Armed Forces for decades, get ready for all the leaping, screeching, face-ripping horror of CAMEL SPIDERS!

My Thoughts:
Another day, another creature feature. Made on a budget of just $500k, Camel Spiders, like most of the movies in the genre, is not a great film... but it is enjoyable in a cheesy way. The visual and special effects are hilariously bad in every aspect and that just made me laugh throughout the movie. Dialogue is at times hilariously bad, and the majority of the cast poor, the most experienced being low budget regular C. Thomas Howell. The story is monotonous in its set-up but yet, I couldn't help but find this film to be a fun little way to waste some time. It certainly falls in the 'so bad it's good' category, but is only worth looking at for fans of the genre. Low-end rental. 2.5/5
« Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 03:11:44 PM by samuelrichardscott »

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #581 on: June 08, 2012, 09:43:02 PM »

The Grey (2011)

Overview:
Liam Neeson leads an unruly group of oil-rig roughnecks when their plane crashes into the remote Alaskan wilderness. Battling mortal injuries and merciless weather, the survivors have only a few days to escape the icy elements and a vicious pack of rogue wolves on the hunt before their time runs out.

My Thoughts:
I've enjoyed the movies I've seen from director Joe Carnahan so far, in particular Smokin' Aces and Narc. The Grey, however, is his best movie to date, thanks in no small part to the ever fantastic Liam Neeson. The set-up is well shot, where we get to meet Neeson's character and his emotional status quickly and smoothly. The plane crash that pits the characters against the wolves looked fantastic and I loved the fact there was no copout when it comes to a very good scene showing Neeson telling another passenger he is going to die and to just let death 'take him'. Of course, this is all at the start of the movie, and the real greatness of The Grey is the character development as the survivors bond, talk about their lives and try to make their way to safety. Some tense moments, some genuine scares and good pace makes this highly recommended from me. Just make sure you keep watching after the end credits for an extra scene. 4.5/5

Additional Note:
The UK Blu-ray I rented was fantastic picture wise but the audio has some reference quality scenes, in particular the plane crash.

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #582 on: June 08, 2012, 09:53:05 PM »

Goon (2011)

Overview:
Doug Glatt (Seann William Scott, American Pie, Role Models) may not be the sharpest blade on the rink, but he’s got a killer right hook. When his best friend (Jay Baruchel, Knocked Up) runs into trouble, Doug’s ability to beat the crap out of everyone and everything impresses the coach of a failing ice hockey team who quickly enrol him as protector of their screwed up ex-star player, La Flamme. Bonding through brawls, beer and broken bones, the team find a place in the big league. But when Doug comes fist to face with notoriously violent pro-player, Ross ‘The Boss’ Rhea (Liev Schreiber, X-Men Origins: Wolverine), the gloves are well and truly off...

My Thoughts:
Based on the book "Goon: The True Story of an Unlikely Journey into Minor League Hockey" (the movie features footage of author Doug Smith during the end credits), Goon is one of the better sports comedies of recent years. I became interested in this after hearing that Kevin Smith was going to hire Nicolas Braun in his ice hockey comedy "Hit Somebody!", a role that was originally intended for Seann William Scott, who ultimately ended up starring in this Canadian production. The story follows your typical 'no hoper finds his feet and leads his team' plot, but it's the journey there that counts and here you get plenty of laughs, mainly thanks to co-star Jay Baruchel. Fight scenes are well shot and very very funny to watch and love interest side-story doesn't overpower the film and is kept neatly going on the sidelines. It's no Slap Shot, but it's worthy of your time. Your move Mr. Smith. 3.5/5

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #583 on: June 08, 2012, 10:08:02 PM »

Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol (2011)

Overview:
No plan. No backup. No choice. Agent Ethan Hunt (Tom Cruise) and his elite team (Jeremy Renner - Avengers and Simon Pegg - Star Trek) go underground after bombing of the Kremlin implicates the IMF as international terrorists.
While trying to clear the agency's name, the team uncovers a plot to start a nuclear war. Now, to save the world, they must use every high-tech trick in the book.
The mission has never been more real, more dangerous or more impossible.

My Thoughts:
Like most people, I was taken aback and it was first announced that Brad Bird would direct the fourth Mission: Impossible movie. I mean, there is no argument from me that he is a great director, but his experience lies solely with animated features. Could he make the transition to live action or would it be.... Mission: Impossible (*add Caruso meme here*). Well, allieve your suspicions, because Bird has managed to make a solid spy-actioner with Ghost Protocol. The highly overrated Tom Cruise once again plays Ethan Hunt and is joined by Simon Pegg, Paula Patton and an impressive Jeremy Renner as they attempt to stop a plot to start a nuclear war. As per usual with M:I movies, Ghost Protocol includes some impressive set pieces, from the bomb going off at the Kremlin, through to climbing the outside of a Dubai hotel and a car chase in a sandstorm. It's safe to say that if you enjoyed the previous movies, then this is a must. I hope we get a fifth. 4/5

Offline Piffi

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #584 on: June 08, 2012, 11:16:32 PM »
Ok, this is my first post here. So lets hope i do this the right way.

Gotta agree with you, when it comes to Mission Impossible 4. I too had my thoughts about Brad Bird. But he suprised me :) in a good way. And i liked the 3 M:I before this one. But i have to say that this one, is my favourite. And i am not the biggest fan of Tom Cruise. (But thats a whole another story) And even though it was a great movie. And better then the previous movies. I have to disagree with you about a movie number 5. Even though its a good movie series. I think its enough with the 4 movies made.
We'll Always Have Paris.

Thomas