Author Topic: KinkyCyborg's Random Reviews 2010  (Read 318101 times)

KinkyCyborg

Re: KinkyCyborg's Random Reviews 2010
« Reply #90 on: June 18, 2010, 05:09:14 AM »

Title:D.E.B.S.
Year: 2004
Director: Angela Robinson
Rating: PG-13
Length: 92 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 2.35:1, Full Frame 1.33:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, French: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles: English, French

Stars:
Sara Foster
Jordana Brewster
Meagan Good
Devon Aoki
Jill Ritchie

Plot:
Hidden within the S.A.T. is a secret test that studies not a girl's reading or mathematics skill, but her potential to perform duties within the realm of espionage, like deception, physical combat and if needed, murder. Those who score high enough on this secret scale are recruited to join a secret academy where they will be trained to become spies in a paramilitary group they call... D.E.B.S. This film focuses on four of these plaid skirted debutantes as they're recruited and engage in their first mission, which is an effort to rescue one of their cohorts who has been kidnapped by the D.E.B.S. lesbian nemesis who calls herself Lucy in the Sky...

Extras:
Audio Commentary
Deleted Scenes
Featurettes
Gallery
Music Videos

My Thoughts:

Silly, comic book type action that's about as far fetched as it can get, and yet I find sexy, debutante and, as it turns out for some of them, lesbian spies very appealing. Amidst all the gadgets and stunts there is an offbeat romance that is fun to watch develop.

Jordana Brewster alone makes this worth watching. She's on my VERY short list of hot actresses.

Sexiest smile in Hollywood.  :o

KC

Rating:

Critter

« Reply #91 on: June 18, 2010, 08:21:51 AM »
I love the film D.E.B.S. Apart from the obvious hotness I genuinley find it really funny. It's a stupid film but it never tries to be anything else and that works perfectly for it. It's so silly sometimes that it's almost like watching a parody of a parody but it gets me laughing everytime, and the love story is surprisingly sweet and well-done. This is a film that I never get sick of watching.

I once read an interview with the director (or was it the writer?) who had fully planned out a sequel, and it sounded awesome! Only problem is they can't get funded for a sequel  :(

Also, that Russian woman at the start makes me laugh every single time  :laugh:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
« Reply #92 on: June 18, 2010, 05:16:11 PM »
I also love D.E.B.S.. I watched it a number of times already and I never get tired of it.
When I recently watched Chuck: Season 2, I finally could understand why Chuck is still obsessing about his ex-girlfriend. She showed up on the series for the first time and was played by Jordana Brewster  :drooling:, who is just very sweet and beautiful in DEBS as Lucy.

Critter

« Reply #93 on: June 19, 2010, 01:57:30 AM »
Thanks for the tip Tom. I would like to see more with Jordana in it but she seems to be in hardly anything aside from Fast and the Furious movies and then horror films. I might have to start watching this 'Chuck'.

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: June 19, 2010, 02:05:29 AM »
Thanks for the tip Tom. I would like to see more with Jordana in it but she seems to be in hardly anything aside from Fast and the Furious movies and then horror films. I might have to start watching this 'Chuck'.

Yes, it is too bad that she does appear in hardly anything I am interested in. I have never watched the "Fast and the Furious" movies as they do not seem like something I would enjoy. Jordana would be the only reason for me to watch them. Besides D.E.B.S. I never saw her in anything. So I was psyched when she showed up on Chuck (also besides her appearance I can recommend this series).

KinkyCyborg

« Reply #95 on: June 19, 2010, 02:19:44 AM »

Title:3 Godfathers
Year: 1948
Director: John Ford
Rating: NR
Length: 106 Min.
Video: Full Frame 1.33:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: Mono, French: Dolby Digital: Mono
Subtitles: English, French, Spanish

Stars:
John Wayne
Pedro Armendariz
Harry Carey, Jr.
Ward Bond
Mae Marsh

Plot:
Fugitive bank robbers Robert (John Wayne), William (Harry Carey Jr.) and Pedro (Pedro Armendariz) stand at a desert grave. Caring for the newborn infant of the woman they just buried will ruin any chance of escape. But they won't go back on their promise to her. They won't abandon little Robert William Pedro.

Director John Ford's Western retelling of the Biblical Three Wise Men tale remains a scenic and thematic masterpiece. Ford adds color to his feature-film palette, capturing stunning vistas via cinematographer Winton Hoch, who would win two of his three Academy Awards® for Ford films. Again, populist-minded Ford asserts that even men of dissolute character can follow that inner star of Bethlehem to their own redemption.

Extras:
Scene Access
Feature Trailers
Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:

Watching this brought back some memories as I had sat down and watched this with my father years ago as a young boy. My dad is still a huge John Wayne fan and I've been fortunate enough to replace most of his old VHS tapes with dvds for his collection.

This movie was done in 1948, before Wayne became 'The Duke' and really came into his own. While he was the headliner of this movie, his acting was almost tentative, lacking the confidence and swagger he would acquire later when he knew he was the bonafide western movie star. That would happen in '56 when he did The Searchers which would cement his legacy.

It was a good movie watching it the second time around although the take on the story of the three wise men didn't quite fit as much John Ford would have liked you think it did.

Nowhere close to being one of my favorite John Wayne movies but still solid.

KC

Rating:

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: June 19, 2010, 04:55:45 PM »

Yes, it is too bad that she does appear in hardly anything I am interested in. I have never watched the "Fast and the Furious" movies as they do not seem like something I would enjoy. Jordana would be the only reason for me to watch them. Besides D.E.B.S. I never saw her in anything. So I was psyched when she showed up on Chuck (also besides her appearance I can recommend this series).
Isn't she in The Faculty as well...? it's a horror, but since it's by Robert Rodriguez not quite the standard fare.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: June 19, 2010, 05:20:57 PM »
Yes... she is also in The Faculty. I thought it was a pretty good movie... but what do I know about horror?  :P
Pete

Critter

« Reply #98 on: June 19, 2010, 06:13:10 PM »
This may come as a surprise to all but I have actually seen The Faculty. And from memory (this was a fair few years ago) I remember loving it. And not being scared too much by it. I think I need to give that one a rewatch, I remember some of the scenes with the teachers turning into aliens actually made me laugh a bit.

KinkyCyborg

« Reply #99 on: June 20, 2010, 02:10:31 AM »

Title:P.S. I Love You
Year: 2007
Director: Richard LaGravenese
Rating: PG-13
Length: 126 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 1.85:1, Full Frame 1.33:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: 5.1
Subtitles: English, French, Spanish

Stars:
Hilary Swank
Gerard Butler
Lisa Kudrow
Gina Gershon
James Marsters

Plot:
Buy a new outfit. Be a disco diva. Learn to fish. Take a chance. Travel. Laugh. Love. Sometimes all you need to start 'really' living is a little shove in the right direction – and that's just what Holly Kennedy gets. From the handsome, big-hearted love of her life. From a series of mysterious letters. And from gal pals who know that a friend in need is a friend in need of some laughs!

Based on Cecelia Ahern's joyful bestseller and boasting a top cast led by two-time Academy Award® winner* Hilary Swank and Gerard Butler ('300') 'P.S. I Love You' is your very own message full of fun, love, triumph and romance. Open it now. (P.S. You'll Love it!)

Extras:
Scene Access
Deleted Scenes
Featurettes
Music Videos

My Thoughts:

A good movie that stirred up some emotions in me. A novel story about a woman who after the recent death of her beloved, discovers life again through a series of letters giving her some gentle (and not so gentle!) nudges from beyond the grave. Good performances all around.... I particularly liked Harry Connick Jr. as the goofy would-be suitor who is constantly kept at arms length throughout the movie. I thought I had the ending all figured out and was surprised to find I was not only wrong but it was a hilarious result!

Hilary Swank bewilders me. I find her beautiful and ugly at the same time. One second she is sexy and angelic and then she makes one of those faces of hers and suddenly she looks like a rat who wants to chew on your ankle. Her set of teeth seem too big for her mouth and it's distracting. Just like Julia Roberts smile seems abnormally big and wide... reminds me of Pennywise the clown. <shudder>  :fingerchew:

Rating:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: June 20, 2010, 02:16:57 AM »
I am constantly torn between buying this movie and not buying. Now you steer me again towards finally buying it.

KinkyCyborg

« Reply #101 on: June 20, 2010, 02:20:59 AM »
It's worth it Tom. I generally buy chick flicks with a great deal of indifference, mostly to appease my wife, but I was rather impressed with this one. There is a suitable amount of 'guy' humor to keep even the most manly of men interested.  :)

KC

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: June 20, 2010, 02:28:00 AM »
I generally like chick flicks. And this one came onto my radar after I have watched "The Notebook". But always when I was about to purchase it, a negative review gave me second thoughts. But I think it is time to finally buy it with one of the next orders.

Sanuye

« Reply #103 on: June 20, 2010, 10:56:17 AM »
Plot:
Buy a new outfit. Be a disco diva. Learn to fish. Take a chance. Travel. Laugh. Love...

I bought lots of new outfits, I learnt to dance salsa and boogie, and to scuba dive. I travel and laugh. But I don't know what chance I should take and I definitely need a love before I purchase this movie!

Najemikon

« Reply #104 on: June 20, 2010, 01:47:27 PM »
 :laugh: :thumbup: