Author Topic: KinkyCyborg's Random Reviews 2010  (Read 315837 times)

KinkyCyborg

KinkyCyborg's Random Reviews 2010
« on: May 25, 2010, 01:41:52 AM »
Before I begin posting reviews I would first like to thank you all again for having me here, and the warm welcome I received. It is always refreshing to find a group of like minded movie enthusiasts who love to talk about cinema and our movie collections (obsessions?).  :-[

A little about myself... I'm a married, father of two who is a trainer/auditor at a major automotive parts supplier in Ontario, Canada.  I have been a movie buff for as long as I can remember. I had well over 1100 VHS tapes in my collection before I made the switch to DVD. I am now sitting at just over 6700 individual titles in my dvd collection. It takes up 2 large rooms in my downstairs living area (rec room and exercise room ) and just about every inch of wall is covered with dvds. I have pictures should anyone want to see them.

I use DVD Profiler to maintain my collection and use phpDVDProfiler to display my collection online. The link is here for anyone who would like to take a peek...  --> http://www.kinkycyborg.com/phpdvdprofiler/

I also rip, encode and upload my own high quality trailers to my own Youtube Channel and link them back to the individual profiles on my online collection.

I spend an obscene amount of money on my collection pretty well every week and I keep the above list updated on a weekly basis as well. I have also started to collect Blurays, although I do not as of yet have a Bluray player... just being proactive!  :thumbup:  I have maybe 130 blurays titles to date.

I purchase my dvds from a multitude of places and also buy/trade them online. I used to be a member SwitchPlanet, which has since gone under. The site allowed members to list their unwanted dvds, blurays, video games, etc and exchange them with fellow members. It was sorely missed when it closed its doors and so myself, in conjunction with another user created Video Vault. It is a simple blog and forum based meeting place for movie enthusiasts much like this one, but very small and simplistic. Our members consist of mostly former SwitchPlanet refugees and we have established a very simple forum based trading section for us to continue to swap our dvds/blurays and other media formats. My partner writes reviews on his blog for some of the major movie studios who in turn provide him with review copies and promotional giveaways that we offer to our members as contest prizes.

A little more about my collection and viewing habits.  About 3000 of my dvds have now been watched and are filed alphabetically. The rest are my enormous 'to watch' pile that actually consists of several massive shelving units. Each shelf is numbered and I use an online random number generator to determine what I will watch next. I know it sounds eccentric, but the way I look at it, if I only watched what I wanted to watch then some movies would never get watched and I find that some of the best movies I have seen have been ones I had very little expectations from. However, to ensure I do get to watch something I really want to see right away I make every 10th movie I watch my pick.  :yahoo:

I look forward to reading many of your reviews and comparing your thoughts to mine on certain movies. I am not the best writer, and you'll find some of my comments to be short and sweet, especially if the movie was a turkey.  :yucky:

But oh how I love my movies!   :clap:

KC

Najemikon

Re: KinkyCyborg's Random Reviews 2010
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2010, 01:45:11 AM »
Thank you, Kinky. Erm... tell you what, I'll use your initials.  :-[ :laugh: Looking forward to your reviews, but I do hope you'll get stuck into the turkeys too. I enjoy the rare times I find a film truly worth slagging off! ;)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2010, 01:49:13 AM »
Always Look forward to more reviews!  :thumbup:
Pete

KinkyCyborg

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2010, 02:07:04 AM »
Ok folks.... here goes.   8)

Title:New Blood
Year: 1999
Director: Michael Hurst
Rating: R
Length: 92 Min.
Video: Widescreen 1.85:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles: English

Stars:
John Hurt
Nick Moran
Carrie-Anne Moss
Shawn Wayans
Joe Pantoliano

Plot:
After a kidnapping results in an unexpected death, a wannabe gangster with a fatal gunshot wound solicits the help of his estranged father (John Hurt - Contact), and so begins the most terrifying night of their lives.

Extras:
Scene Access
Production Notes

My Thoughts:

Very good for a straight to dvd flick. John Hurt gives a strong performance and Joe Pantoliano is always great in the psychotic roles. I thought that Carrie-Anne Moss's character would have lent more to the storyline but as it turns out her role was little more than an afterthought.

I'd recommend it! :)

KC

Rating:

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2010, 02:08:42 AM »
I look forward to reading many of your reviews and comparing your thoughts to mine on certain movies. I am not the best writer, and you'll find some of my comments to be short and sweet, especially if the movie was a turkey. 
God you make me feel like writing a new review here, but since I have started my blog I have watch more film for it than for here. Maybe I will try to check some "bikers" movie this week (since I have a set of this genre I haven't check yet). Don't worry I ain't the greatest writer either :laugh:

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2010, 02:11:43 AM »
Thanks for the review. And like Jimmy said... don't worry... I am not the best writer either. The way I look at it I am just a normal guy with an opinion... no more and no less.  :thumbup:
Pete

Critter

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2010, 02:34:24 AM »
It takes up 2 large rooms in my downstairs living area (rec room and exercise room ) and just about every inch of wall is covered with dvds. I have pictures should anyone want to see them.

I would love to see pictures of your collection! I am a big fan of photos of collections. Also if you want, we do have a 'photo' thread in the general area that people often post their photos on.

Glad to see you are writing reviews now too  :thumbup:

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2010, 02:37:10 AM »
Sounds like you have an impressive collection.  I also would love to see your pictures.  I have a few around somewhere..though my collection has probably doubled since I took them.  I'll have to try to find them.

KinkyCyborg

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2010, 02:59:02 AM »
They were taken about 4 or 5 months ago. i have to round them up and re-organize them. Once I have I'll post them in the Photos section as was recommended.  :)

KinkyCyborg

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2010, 05:12:45 AM »

Title:Master Spy: The Robert Hanssen Story
Year: 2003
Director: Lawrence Schiller
Length: 122 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 1.78:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround, Commentary: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles: English, Spanish

Stars:
William Hurt
Mary-Louise Parker
David Strathairn
Ron Silver
Hilit Pace

Plot:
Journey into the world of high-stakes espionage with the gripping true-life tale of Robert Hanssen, the respected FBI agent who betrayed his family, his religion and his country. William Hurt captivates as the daring traitor who sells America nuclear secrets to the KGB - entering into a dangerous game of cat-and-mouse that could cost him his life.

Extras:
Scene Access
Audio Commentary
Deleted Scenes
Featurettes
Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:

I didn't clue in right away when I put in Master Spy : The Robert Hanssen Story that it was another retelling of the same story found in the movie Breach with Chris Cooper and Ryan Phillipe. This movie focused on the man himself and the demons he was battling while Breach was all about the attempts to capture the spy and traitor to his country.

William Hurt perfectly plays the role of Robert Hanssen, a man who lives a double life of a devout Christian husband, father and also his secret life of informant to the Russian KGB coupled with deviant sexual behavior. It was amazing to watch how this man so deftly flew under the radar for more than 15 years, delivering some of America's most sensitive secrets to the Russians with no one even coming close to suspecting him. It finally took the collapse of the Russian state and the dismantling of the former KGB to finally point a finger in his direction.

While I found this movie to drag at times it provided a much more insightful look into the man's life. It certainly lacked the high octane thrills of Breach but I'd still recommend it as a good watch.

Rating:

KinkyCyborg

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2010, 03:03:29 AM »

Title:The Hunting Party
Year: 2007
Director: Richard Shepard
Length: 103 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 2.35:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: 5.1
Subtitles: English, Spanish

Stars:

Plot:
Inspired by true events, ‘The Hunting Party’ stars Richard Gere and Terrence Howard as vacationing journalists who try to track down a missing war criminal in one of Eastern Europe’s deadliest regions. What begins as an impulsive reporting adventure immediately turns dangerous, as hostile locals, shady underworld figures and a case of mistaken identity put them squarely in their target’s crosshairs. Amid the bullets and bombs, they discover that getting the scoop is one thing - getting out alive is something else entirely.

Extras:
Scene Access
Audio Commentary
Feature Trailers
Deleted Scenes
Featurettes

My Thoughts:

A look into the life of kamikaze journalism in war torn countries. Bosnia sets the scene for this semi-true telling of a small group of journalists who decided they are going to track down and capture the country's most wanted genocidal war criminal.

Richard Gere plays the all balls and no brains Simon Hunt... a burnt out journalist with one last shot at glory with Terence Howard as his loyal if not more sensible cameraman. Jesse Eisenberg plays the young tag along who provides some comic relief.

It was good to see Richard Gere playing a harder role than the usual pretty boy romances he's best known for and I thought the role suited him well. Terence Howard was solid as usual.

It was a decent movie with some great thrills but I think some other movies have portrayed the horrors of war through the journalistic eye far better.... Salvador with James Woods comes to mind, one of my favorites.

Still worth a watch.

KC

Rating:

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2010, 09:19:10 AM »
I have this in my 'pile'. Good review!

KinkyCyborg

« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2010, 10:54:52 PM »
Thanks! I have another Richard Gere movie review coming up, maybe later tonight if time permits.  ;)

KinkyCyborg

« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2010, 11:59:48 PM »

Title:Nights in Rodanthe
Year: 2008
Director: George C. Wolfe, Nancy Ventura
Rating: PG-13
Length: 97 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 2.35:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: 5.1
Subtitles:

Stars:
Richard Gere
Diane Lane
Christopher Meloni
Viola Davis
Becky Ann Baker

Plot:
The stars of Unfaithful rekindle their screen chemistry in this rich tale of hearts awakenings based on a bestseller by Nicholas Sparks (The Notebook, Message In A Bottle). Richard Gere is Paul, a surgeon who long ago unwittingly traded family for career. Diane Lane is Adrienne, a devoted mother trying to move on after her husbands infidelity and struggling with his desire to return to their marriage. At a remote inn on the Outer Banks, Paul and Adrienne expect to do some serious soul-searching. But an approaching storm forces each to turn to the other for strength, setting the stage for a life-resonating romance.

Extras:
Scene Access

My Thoughts:

I use a random number generator at http://www.random.org/integers/  to choose which movie I will watch next and fate would have it that I would watch a second Richard Gere movie in a row.

First off....... yes, I watch chick flicks.  :-[ The purchase of the 2% of these movies makes it easier to justify the purchase of the other 98% to my wife.  8)

This genre is Gere's bread and butter and once again he delivers. My wife was all agush during and well after the movie ended. The story was good even if the ending was predictable. Fortunately for me Diane Lane is still very much eye candy even as she enters middle age and I could think of worse things than watching her for 90 minutes. I rather enjoyed this movie but it left me asking one question. When did Scott Glenn, who has a bit part in this movie, get so old??!

KC

Rating:

KinkyCyborg

« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2010, 04:35:52 AM »

Title:Crossroads
Year: 2002
Director: Tamra Davis
Rating: PG-13
Length: 93 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 1.85:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, English: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround, French: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround, Commentary: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround
Subtitles: English

Stars:
Britney Spears
Anson Mount
Zoe Saldana
Taryn Manning
Dan Aykroyd

Plot:
Starring Superstar Britney Spears, Crossroads is an inspired, fun-filled adventure about taking risks, pursuing dreams, and making friendships that last. Shawn Edwards of FOX-TV says, "Crossroads ia a perfect teen dream. It has everything that makes a movie totally cool: laughs, adventure, spirit, hot music, drama, and of course: BRITNEY!" Watch Lucy (Spears) ash she and two childhood friends embark on a cross-country adventure that is sure to change their lives forever.

Extras:
Scene Access
Audio Commentary
Feature Trailers
Deleted Scenes
Featurettes
Production Notes
Music Videos

My Thoughts:

Again, keep in mind I'm at the whim of a random number generator...

Like most musicians who have hit it big and take a turn at movies, here a pre-trainwreck Britney Spears throws her hat into the ring at a time when she was at the height of her popularity.

This movie was like a thousand other teenage girl movies... nothing original or terribly inspiring. Britney does a credible job... so much so that you almost forget about the shaved-head, lunatic, delinquent mother that she would become. Early role for Zoe Saldana, long before she would turn blue and start talking funny.  :laugh:

Every actor is allowed a mulligan or two in their acting career and this was definitely one for Dan Aykroyd who played Brit's nazi, porker father. Dan... sometimes you just have to say no.  :slaphead:

KC

Rating: