Author Topic: Around the World in 80 DVD's  (Read 123651 times)

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Around the World in 80 DVD's
« Reply #45 on: January 21, 2008, 04:37:07 PM »
I enjoy film but books hold a special place in my heart. Since I so enjoy reading everyone's thoughts, I wish that there were more book > DVD commentary.
As you wish, mylady.

Thank you Karsten...point awarded!

richierich

« Reply #46 on: January 23, 2008, 12:49:19 PM »
One of my favourite destinations - Greece...

Two powerful German guns control the seas past the Greek island of Navarone making the evacuation of endangered British troops on a neighboring island impossible. Air attack is useless so a team of six Allied and Greek soldiers is put ashore to meet up with partisans to try and dynamite the guns. The mission is perilous enough anyway but are the Germans on the island getting further help too?

A very enjoyable adventure story (set around WW2) with one of my favourite actors David Niven. Perfect old-fashioned Nazi ass-kicking movie, with great effects (for the time) and a solid cast of heroic leads. Boys film  :thumbup:  6/10
« Last Edit: January 23, 2008, 12:51:12 PM by richierich »

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 23, 2008, 01:45:40 PM »
Boys film  :thumbup:  6/10

Girl's film too!  :thumbup:

richierich

« Reply #48 on: January 23, 2008, 02:41:47 PM »
Boys film  :thumbup:  6/10

Girl's film too!  :thumbup:

I stand corrected sorry kath - chicks flick also  :P

richierich

« Reply #49 on: January 25, 2008, 01:49:25 PM »
gorgeous hike across Kafalonia...

In keeping with Hollywood's time-honored tradition of turning celebrated novels into cinematic spectacles, director John Madden brings Louis de Berniere's acclaimed 1994 work, 'Captain Corelli's Mandolin', to life. Set on the Greek island of Cephalonia in 1940, the film tells the story of the beautiful Pelagia (Penelope Cruz), who lives with her father, Dr. Iannis (John Hurt) and is engaged to local fisherman, Mandras (Christian Bale). When Mandras leaves the island to fight for his country against the approaching German army, Pelagia is left behind to worry and wait for a letter, which never arrives. In the meantime, the Italian army occupies Cephalonia, and Pelagia and Dr. Iannis receive a new visitor into their home. Captain Antonio Corelli (Nicolas Cage), a romantic opera lover with a passion for playing the mandolin, annoys Pelagia with his free-spirited personality, but it is this charm that eventually wins her heart. Soon, the two are head-over-heels in love only for Mandras to return.

Contrary to my reluctance and hesitation in what I thought would be a soppy romance, I was pleasantly surprised by the action, plot culture, acting and the scenic backdrop which makes you ache to be back on a Greek Island with azure skies and crystal blue seas. Nicolas Cage, John Hurt (as always) and David Morrissey are all impressive. 7/10

richierich

« Reply #50 on: January 25, 2008, 01:55:10 PM »
Sweat through Crete...

In Which We Serve is only one in a long list of propaganda films turned out by England and the United States during World War II. Based on the actual service record of a British destroyer recounted to Noel Coward by Lord Mountbatten, it advances the standard line of support for the war effort and follows a familiar pattern by combining the story of H.M.S. Torrin, from shipyard to the bottom of the Mediterranean Sea, with the personal lives of its captain and crew.

Although I can appreciate the significance of this film made in 1942 and some of the ground-breaking effects displayed for the first time on film, I just didn't warm to its content, acting or storyline. The actors couldn't wait to blurt their lines out, reminding me of dubbed sketches from Whose Line Is It Anyway. I am not a Noel Coward fan. If you do watch it, take note of the children actors when the Capatin returns home. I nearly vomited  :yucky:  3/10

richierich

« Reply #51 on: January 25, 2008, 02:06:21 PM »
I've reached the Middle East   :yahoo:

Based on the Bram Stoker Award nominee short story by cult author Joe R. Lansdale, Bubba Ho-tep tells the "true" story of what really did become of Elvis Presley. We find Elvis (Bruce Campbell) as an elderly resident in an East Texas rest home, who switched identities with an Elvis impersonator years before his "death", then missed his chance to switch back. Elvis teams up with Jack (Ossie Davis), a fellow nursing home resident who thinks that he is actually President John F. Kennedy, and the two valiant old codgers sally forth to battle an evil Egyptian entity who has chosen their long-term care facility as his happy hunting grounds.

I don't really know what to say about this film  :-\   In places it was bloody hilarious, at other times ponderous. A dyed black JFK, toilet and erection humour, and satirical undertones, try to punch this low-budget horror in to an additional comedy genre. For a film it is a totally ridiculous idea but seems to work okay. A real 50/50 call, but I think people should watch it and I'd love to hear what they thought of this film. 5/10

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #52 on: January 25, 2008, 03:20:14 PM »
I don't really know what to say about this film  :-\   In places it was bloody hilarious, at other times ponderous. A dyed black JFK, toilet and erection humour, and satirical undertones, try to punch this low-budget horror in to an additional comedy genre. For a film it is a totally ridiculous idea but seems to work okay. A real 50/50 call, but I think people should watch it and I'd love to hear what they thought of this film. 5/10
I had the same feeling about it. I like Campell's work from Brisco County jr. and Xena/Hercules and gave it a try.

While I was watching it I didn't really know what to make of it, but if someone would ask me, I'd answer "it was strange but I liked it" without being able to explain it. :-/
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

richierich

« Reply #53 on: January 28, 2008, 12:47:31 AM »
secret trip through Israel...

Based on a novel by critically acclaimed novelist, Benjamin Tamuz, Mossad is a haunting story of love, obsession and destiny. Alex (Dan Turgeman), a Mossad agent on a secret mission, meets Thea (Mili Avital), and is deeply affected by her. Though he has felt her presence throughout his life, the prevailing circumstances fraught with violence and danger-preclude the possibility of a relationship between them. Alex is torn by his love for Thea. He sees himself as the mythological Minotaur half-man, half-beast and believes that only her love will transform him and make him fully human. He watches her from afar. This beautiful vibrant woman, a generation younger than himself; the focus of his dreams the moment he first saw her.

:badidea:
 :yawn:
Bargain bin purchase, that deserves just the bin. What a load of rubbish, avoid like the plague. 1/10 (and thats being generous)

richierich

« Reply #54 on: January 29, 2008, 03:32:21 PM »
Adventure through Jordan...

Fedora and whip at the ready, Indiana Jones (Harrison Ford) sets off on his third cinematic outing accompanied by none other than his father, Henry (Sean Connery). The Drs. Jones head to the cradle of civilization on a perilous hunt for the Holy Grail, which is also being sought after by -- of course -- the Nazis. No one is what they seem in this rousing adventure, which co-stars John Rhys-Davies, Denholm Elliott and Alison Doody.

The last of the original trilogy. Never reaching the high standards set by Raiders, it was more enjoyable than Temple which became rather too unbelievable in it's effort to surpass the first film. An enjoyable romp that entertains, with great score and audio. 6/10
« Last Edit: January 29, 2008, 11:55:01 PM by richierich »

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #55 on: January 29, 2008, 03:56:47 PM »
The last of the original trilogy. Never reaching the high standards set by Raiders, it was more enjoyable than Temple which became rather too unbelievable in it's effort to surpass the first film. An enjoyable romp that entertains, with great score and audio. 5/10
I have to admit that I like this movie the most. I loved the acting between Connery and Ford and also the back story of the holy grail.
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 29, 2008, 05:33:26 PM »
I find it most interesting to see what people rate movies. After reading your commentary on Bubba Ho-Tep and Indiana Jones I would not have expected you to rate them the same. I have no idea why I find that fascinating but I do. And, since I really enjoyed Indy, now I have to go buy Bubba and check it out! Thank you (I think!).

Najemikon

« Reply #57 on: January 29, 2008, 07:44:35 PM »
5? Out of 10? 5!!?? For Indy? You are very slightly mad. That rating is for movies that make you go "meh". A "nothing wrong but nothing right either" score. Indiana Jones is never "meh". :o

So what would you rate the other two?

RossRoy

« Reply #58 on: January 29, 2008, 08:04:57 PM »
5? Out of 10? 5!!?? For Indy? You are very slightly mad. That rating is for movies that make you go "meh". A "nothing wrong but nothing right either" score. Indiana Jones is never "meh". :o

Guess I'm mad too.. Crusade made me go "meh". Well ok, maybe a 6, but not more.

FTR:
  • Raiders: 9/10
  • Temple: 10/10

richierich

« Reply #59 on: January 29, 2008, 11:54:14 PM »

So what would you rate the other two?

Raiders was a 9 for me
Temple a 4 or 5 - it just tried too hard to surpass the first film that it failed on all counts - IMO  :tomato:

Let's be honest, the Last Crusade got silly, a bit like adding Jar Jar Binks to Star Wars! What was with the knight guarding the holy grail and living forever - he couldn't even lift his sword!
I have upped my score to a 6 - as it is 'better than average'.

My scoring probably reveals a lot about me and my film tastes, I guess we are all different, how many of you would vote a 10 for A Man Called Horse?  :hmmmm: