Author Topic: Book > DVD  (Read 7340 times)

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
Book > DVD
« on: January 21, 2008, 03:41:22 PM »
Hi,

I am at work and I've got nothing to do, so I will do a small review of movies where I read the book (the novel that came before the book, no novelizations).

I like reading books. But I like to explore books when I saw the film first. That has several advantages. Often the movie shortens or redefines the story. When I watch the film first and read the book later I know there is more to come. If I do it the other way around I know there will be things missing. Additionaly books are often better than their counterparts, so it will be an improvement to read the book afterwards.

I write this from the top of my head. If there are any aspects I didn't mention please ask me and I will tell you what I think.

Movie Title: The Bourne Identity
Book Title: The Bourne Identity (Robert Ludlum)

Book and movie have practically nothing in common except the beginning and the names of the actors. Whilst the book plays during the 80s (I think) the movie is placed in or around the year it was made. This fact alone results in different usage of technologies such as computers and mobile phones. Both Bournes travel to the same places (Zürich, Paris) but the rest is totally different. I liked the movie better than the book because I had a hard time getting through that book.

Consequentially both sequels have even less in common with their book counterparts.

Movie Title: The Three Musketeers
Book Title: The Three Musketeers (Alexandre Dumas, père)

There are countless movies made from that book and they retell all more or less the story of the book. This is a rather free interpretation and a lot of changes were made, especially in regard to the cardinal. In this movie is is the ultimate villain which he wasn't in the book. But I like the movie because of the ensemble and the music.

Movie Title: Dune
Book Title: Dune (Frank Herbert)

This book is a science-fiction classic and I could read it over and over again. The movie has practically nothing to do with the book and even then I seriously doubt that someone who hasn't read the book fully understands what happens in the movie. The sonic weapons didn't exist in the book at all. How the spice and the worms are connected is explained (in one sentence) but I doubt if this explanation is truly understandable. But I love both the book and the movie, the latter because of its excellent looks and music.

to
Movie Title: "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone" (1) to "Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix" (5)
Book Title: "Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone" (1) to "Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix" (5) (J.K. Rowling)

This is one of the rare occasions where I read the books first and watched the movies later. I love the books and Prisoner (3), Goblet (4) and Hallows (7) are my favourites. The quality of the movies is unsteady. The first ones are more faithful to the book because it is doable due to the length of the books, the later ones have to leave out stuff. My least favourite movie is Prisoner, because there is too much missing what I deem important and I've got the feeling that they only worked by checklist. Dudley Home. Check. Knight Bus. Check. And so on. Many didn't like the Order movie but I thought it to be a good one. It had a major glitch at the end (who could hear the prophecy) but other than that I liked it. Especially because I didn't like the book too much because it had many lengths which could have been shortened.

Movie Title: The Hunt for Red October
Book Title: The Hunt for Red October (Tom Clancy)

The movie is a fairly good adaption of the book with some slight changes probably due to ramatization reasons. In a matter of content I think it's a bit unbelievable that the russians build a new "soundless" propulsion system and some (american) sonar guy just manages to find that sound and reprogram the sonar computer to track it down in a matter of days. Clancy seems to be very proud of what the US military is capable of doing but sometimes it's a bit over the top.

Movie Title: Clear and Present Danger
Book Title: Clear and Present Danger (Tom Clany)

Here on the other hand book and movie have not much in common except for the general storyline. In the movie Jack is the action hero who gets his guys out and has massive shootouts with the bad guys. In the book he is much more the CIA analyst. But it's been a while since I've read the book.

to
Movie Title: "The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Rings" to "The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King"
Book Title: "The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Rings" to "The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King" (J.R.R. Tolkien)

Tell me what you want, the books are boring as hell. After having watched the first movie in the theatre I thought "Hey, great story, have to read the books!". I read about 100 pages (german version) and then I put it away. I re-tried about a year later and forced myself trough it. But everybody kept saying what a great book this is and so I gave it another shot in the original (meaning: english) version. No, it wasn't better. It's still boring and I doubt that I will ever read it again. The movies on the other hand: I love them. I watch the SEE-cut once or twice a year and I love how the story is being told, the characters, the looks and the score.

Movie Title: Starship Troopers
Book Title: Starship Troopers (Robert Heinlein)

Movie and book differ on many things, for example gender and relations of the characters and how the troopers fight. In the book they are not as unprotected as in the movie but instead they wear combat suits that give them armor and a lot of weaponry (as opposed to the assault rifles used in the movie). I read the book only once, it wasn't that interesting to read. And while the movie is a god satire on militarized societies and a good splatter movie I don't watch it that often either.

Movie Title: Patriot Games
Book Title: Patriot Games (Tom Clancy)

Book and movie differ here, too. But I couldn't take the book seriously. While Clancy may have a good insight on the military and its weaponry (I can't verify that however) he certainly lacks realism when it comes to his characters. I had a great deal of laugh when I read that Jack Ryan and the Prince of Wales personally(!) hunted the IRA terrorists down after they attacked the princes' house. The movie was my least favourite, too, but then I bought "The Sum of all Fears" and now I have a new one.

Movie Title: Takedown
Book Title: Takedown: The Pursuit and Capture of Kevin Mitnick, America's Most Wanted Computer Outlaw - By the Man Who Did It (Tsutomu Shimomura / John Markoff)

I've read the book over and over again. Tsutomu is a bit arrogant, especially in how he treats Andrew but I love how he hunts down Mitnick and finally captures him. The movie didn't really catch that feeling and I felt disappointed.

Movie Title: Troy
Book Title: Iliad (Homer)

Forget it. The movie can't catch the story at all. I love the Iliad and the Odyssey and I watched this movie once - never again. I won't even give the DC a try. No can do.

Movie Title: Die unendliche Geschichte (The Neverending Story)
Book Title: Die unendliche Geschichte (The Neverending Story) (Michael Ende)

The movie came out to soon. If a remake would be made these days it would have a decent chance to depict the book's story. The story of the book is excellent, it's a famous children's book around here. But the FX departements weren't ready to make a movie out of it.
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Book > DVD
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2008, 04:33:21 PM »
I've read all of Ludlum's books but can't remember them; I guess it's time to break them out again!

I don't remember if I read The Three Musketeer or not... :hmmmm:

I love science-fiction; I agree that Dune is a must read!

I have read all of Tom Clancy's books and, although they are interesting, I find them to be way too long and detailed. I think it takes away from the flow of the story line. He is one of the few authors, in fact off the top of my head I can't think of another, that I want to skip portions of reading. Sometimes I feel like I'm reading an instruction manual and not  a novel.

I like the Harry Potter series but don't consider it to be great reading. I enjoyed them and will read them every once in a while but that's about it. I am grateful to Rowling because she inspired children to love reading.

The Lord of the Rings novel, to me, is a masterpiece. Boring, maybe the first couple of times I read it, but not anymore. I suppose its like an acquired taste but I can't imagine not reading it at least once a year. As for the movies I love them too. I can only hope that Peter Jackson will direct The Hobbit because I don't want anyone else to finish this series.

Takedown: I've never heard of this book and I will be reading it as soon as I get it.

I think I only read the Iliad only once and that was decades ago. I don't think I cared for it then but it's been so long I need to give it another shot.

Thanks Karsten, I'm glad you didn't have anything to do today!

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2008, 05:50:21 PM »
Great stuff Karsten! :thumbup:

I don't read a lot. Last books I read were the Potter series (great stuff, got better with each book, albeit the last one is not my favorite (I'd have to re-read them to say what my favorite is :laugh:).

Another great, GREAT book (or actually series) is the Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy, although, I admit, I somehow got stuck in the middle of the collection and haven't had the energy to pick it up again in a while.

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2008, 06:44:25 PM »
I have the Hitchhiker, too. Must have overlooked it while scanning my collection.
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

Najemikon

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2008, 09:11:30 PM »
Great post!  :ok:

Can't agree on LoTR though. Well, I sort of can... The books are old-fashioned and put a lot of people off, but the detail and scope is astonishing. Now much as I love the films, and I do, and I can't imagine anyone doing a better job, I think Peter Jackson played safe too often. I had a sense of the cast simply reading out pages and not interpreting them like a true adaptation should. I find the trees in The Two Towers a real struggle. In the book, walking, talking trees is acceptable whimsy and your imagination makes it fit, but I thought in the film it just looked silly and could have been done differently. But the biggest problem, is Return's multiple endings. It just doesn't work as a screenplay. Even the book doesn't really have them as part of the story. They're in appendices as I recall. It could so easily have been altered to be another character recalling the events (Sam, for instance), but by rigidly sticking to Frodo, I feel it lost track. But I really am nitpicking because the films are wonderful.

I haven't read any of the Potter books. I want to one day, but so far my Potter experience is film only. I find the last three films the best ones, especially Prisoner. It felt to me like they were bravely cutting away stuff to make the film flow better, plus trying to find room for a proper movie visual flourish.

All this talk about LoTR reminds me; have you seen Clerks II?  :devil:

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2008, 10:25:21 PM »
I have. :D But I can't agree on the LOTR part, only the SW part. ;)
Karsten

lovemunkey187

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2008, 11:28:44 AM »
I have. :D But I can't agree on the LOTR part, only the SW part. ;)

Whilst reading your reply, I had Randall saying those lines. "All it was, was a bunch of people walking, three movies of people walking to a fing volcano. even the trees walked."

MEJHarrison

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2008, 09:22:26 PM »

Movie Title: The Bourne Identity
Book Title: The Bourne Identity (Robert Ludlum)

Book and movie have practically nothing in common except the beginning and the names of the actors. Whilst the book plays during the 80s (I think) the movie is placed in or around the year it was made. This fact alone results in different usage of technologies such as computers and mobile phones. Both Bournes travel to the same places (Zürich, Paris) but the rest is totally different. I liked the movie better than the book because I had a hard time getting through that book.

I have to disagree with you here.  I'd also add that The Bourne Identity is my all time favorite book.  The movie doesn't even come close.  It just kills me to see people going on and on about how great the Bourne movies are.  The movies compared to the books are like trying to explain Calculus to third grade kids.  This is one case where I almost wish I had seen the movie first because I believe I would have enjoyed the movie much better that way.  They not only simplified the book, they made massive changes to it.  For the record, the orignal The Bourne Identity TV mini-series is much close to the book.  But not nearly as exciting as the new movie.

I have The Bourne Ultimatum sitting at home and plan to watch the first two again before checking out the final movie.  And I fully expect to enjoy them much more this time around.  The first time I watched The Bourne Identity I couldn't help but compare it to the book and was extremely disappointed.  Knowing that ahead of time the second time through, I ought to be able to forget about the book and enjoy the movie for what it is.  I often find that if I don't enjoy a movie, I'll enjoy it more the second time through since my expectations are more realistic.

Consequentially both sequels have even less in common with their book counterparts.

The only thing the second movie has in common with the first is the title.  ::)  But after watching the first movie, I knew not to expect anything resembling the book and was able to enjoy it much more.  And I know not to expect anything from the third movie either and will probably enjoy it just fine.

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2008, 10:00:30 PM »
I have to disagree with you here. I'd also add that The Bourne Identity is my all time favorite book. The movie doesn't even come close.
I've seen the movie first. And after seeing it, I had a certain expectation of the book. When I realized that it played in the 70s or 80s I was rather taken aback.

I read the book while lying on a spanish beach and it became a bit tiresome and repetitive ("Delta is for Cain, Cain is for Charlie, Charlie is for Carlos" yadda yadda)

But good for you if you like it, I am always glad to hear of people that still know what books even are.
Karsten

Najemikon

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2008, 10:28:34 PM »
The only thing the second movie has in common with the first is the title.  ::)  But after watching the first movie, I knew not to expect anything resembling the book and was able to enjoy it much more.  And I know not to expect anything from the third movie either and will probably enjoy it just fine.

I'd be especially interested in your view of the sequels, as they ramp up what the first film started. I knew the history of the series and it's relation to the books, though I haven't read them myself. So, it did make me laugh when I saw on another forum, people worried that The Bourne Legacy "would not be filmed" since the producers have stressed the term trilogy. What does it matter at this point when they bear so little resemblance? Kind of like how the new Bond film uses a Fleming title of a story that only had the Bond character as a dinner guest! I believe the screenplay will loosely follow the original intention of Quantum of Solace, but the fact is, it wasn't a true Bond book.

I am always glad to hear of people that still know what books even are.

:laugh:

One of my favourite quotes from Buffy is when she's convinced Giles to enter the IT room and she's winding him up about how great they are. He says he doesn't trust computers because of the smell. Buffy points out, "Computers don't smell". "Exactly"...
« Last Edit: January 28, 2008, 10:30:26 PM by Najemikon »

Offline goodguy

• Heavy Poster
  • Colleen West never liked the first light of day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2008, 01:11:50 AM »
I am always glad to hear of people that still know what books even are.

:laugh:

One of my favourite quotes from Buffy is when she's convinced Giles to enter the IT room and she's winding him up about how great they are. He says he doesn't trust computers because of the smell. Buffy points out, "Computers don't smell". "Exactly"...

You got one of your favorite quotes all wrong.  :o
You mean the discussion between Jenny Calendar and Giles at the end of I Robot, You Jane:
Ms. Calendar:  Honestly, what is it about them that bothers you so much?

Giles:  The smell.

Ms. Calendar:  Computer's don't smell, Rupert.

Giles:  I know! Smell is the most powerful trigger to the memory there is. A certain flower or a, a whiff of smoke can bring up experiences... long forgotten. Books smell. Musty and, and, and, and rich. The knowledge gained from a computer, is, uh, it... it has no, no texture, no, no context. It's, it's there and then it's gone. If it's to last, then, then the getting of knowledge should be, uh, tangible, it should be, um... smelly.

Ms. Calendar:  Well! You really are an old-fashioned boy, aren't you?

Giles:  Well, I-I don't dangle a corkscrew from my ear.

Ms. Calendar:  That's not where I dangle it.

BTW, I left the "corkscrew" in to give your memory a better reference point.  ;)
Matthias

Najemikon

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2008, 09:46:38 AM »
Appreciated! I did mean to say that I wasn't trying to put the quote verbatim, just the theme, but my poor old brain had completely forgotten that it was Jenny. And her corkscrew.  :bag:

movie diva

« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2008, 06:34:48 AM »
I have one for you to read and then watch the DVD, it is Lonesome Dove, one of the best books I have read and a very good DVD.

MEJHarrison

« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2008, 10:18:23 PM »

I'd be especially interested in your view of the sequels, as they ramp up what the first film started. I knew the history of the series and it's relation to the books, though I haven't read them myself. So, it did make me laugh when I saw on another forum, people worried that The Bourne Legacy "would not be filmed" since the producers have stressed the term trilogy. What does it matter at this point when they bear so little resemblance? Kind of like how the new Bond film uses a Fleming title of a story that only had the Bond character as a dinner guest! I believe the screenplay will loosely follow the original intention of Quantum of Solace, but the fact is, it wasn't a true Bond book.

Well, I won't know about the third film until I get around to watching it.  But I did see the second a few years back.  The only thing it had in common with the book was pretty much the title.  As I recall, they created their own story and really didn't take anything from the book.  After being let down by the first movie, I didn't go into this one expecting to see a Ludlum story.  I just ignored the title and enjoyed the movie.

I'm actually looking forward to the first movie again.  Now that my expectations are more in line with reality, I think I'll be able to enjoy it much more.  That's usually how I feel about movies that have been hyped up too much in my mind.  The first time through I'm disappointed.  But when some time has passed and I revisit them with realistic expectations, I usually tend to enjoy them much more.

Najemikon

« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2008, 12:47:06 AM »
That's exactly how I am. When a movie gets hyped too much, I actually lose the will to watch it until everyone's shut up about it. Then I can watch it in context. I wish I'd done that with The Matrix...

The third Bourne film must bear even less resemblance as it picks up the story directly on the end of Supremacy. In fact, they dove tail quite cleverly.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2008, 12:48:41 AM by Najemikon »