Author Topic: Addicted2dvd's Random TV Series Watched  (Read 249878 times)

samuelrichardscott

Re: Addicted2dvd's Random TV Series Watched
« Reply #900 on: September 03, 2011, 02:56:06 PM »
I'm with addicted. In my top 10 shows of all time and I personally love it. Gutted it was cancelled as Jason Priestley's character added so much as the second season felt it was going in an excellent direction.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #901 on: September 03, 2011, 06:49:54 PM »
Glad to see I ain't the only one that loved Tru Calling!  :thumbup:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #902 on: September 03, 2011, 06:56:58 PM »
     Dollhouse: Season One Disc Two (2009/United States)

5. True Believer
Echo is "hired" by a senator to infiltrate a heavily guarded cult and imprinted as a religious believer. However, when she is blinded so that a surveillance camera can be implanted in her eye, her mission is made much more difficult. Meanwhile, Ballard gets one step closer to the Dollhouse with the assistance of his unseen ally, and Topher and Saunders try to pinpoint the sexual connection between Victor and Sierra.

6. Man On The Street
Echo is sent on an engagement as the perfect wife for a lonely internet mogul. Elsewhere, the identity of Sierra's attacker is revealed; Mellie's life is endangered; and Ballard and Echo come face-to-face.

7. Echoes
The Dollhouse is assigned to a campus by their sponsors, the Rossum Corporation, to deal with the release of a chemical that causes hallucinations and uncontrolled memory recall. Meanwhile, Echo is on another assignment but is drawn to the same campus after she sees a newscast. There she must deal with a few memory recalls of her own.

8. Needs
Echo, Sierra, Victor, and Mellie awaken inside the Dollhouse without either their "Doll" personalities or their own histories. They realize there are others who haven't escaped their programming, and Echo leads an escape attempt. Meanwhile, Ballard finds out more information on the Dollhouse's location, Adelle has a plan to test test the House's security, and the escaping Dolls begin to recover the memories of their original lives.

Stars:
Eliza Dushku as Echo
Harry Lennix as Boyd Langton
Fran Kranz as Topher Brink
Tahmoh Penikett as Paul Ballard
Enver Gjokaj as Anton Lubov
Dichen Lachman as Sierra
Olivia Williams as Adelle DeWitt

Extras:
  • Audio Commentary
  • Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
Still enjoying re-watching this series very much! Each and every episode had me glued to my seat once again. Something I meant to mention when reviewing the first disc but forgot. I been watching the running times of all the episodes. Now a day these hour long shows last about 44min. without the commercials. So I found it rather surprising that every episode in this set so far has run for right around 50min. each. Pleasantly surprised of course! With so many very good episodes on one disc it is really hard to pick a favorite episode. But thinking back to what I have just watched... I guess I will have to go with the episode True Believer. I liked how they made her blind in this episode... so they could do some sort of cameras that made whatever she was looking at be transmitted for them to watch. Plus it of course has a good story.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #903 on: September 04, 2011, 12:16:21 AM »
     Dollhouse: Season One Disc Three (2009/United States)

9. A Spy In The House Of Love
Echo and Sierra are programmed with the skills necessary to locate a Dollhouse traitor. Meanwhile, Adelle conceals a secret and Mellie tells Ballard surprising news.

10. Haunted
Margaret Bashford, an old friend of Adelle's, took the precaution of pre-recording her brain patterns with the Dollhouse. Upon her death, Adelle follows Margaret's final wishes and brings her back in Echo's body so she can attend her own funeral. While at the funeral, Margaret discovers that she didn't die of natural causes. Meanwhile, Topher treats himself to a present for his birthday with some help from Sierra, and Ballard tries to investigate Mellie's past while trying to figure out the nature of their relationship now that he knows what she really is.

11. Briar Rose
Ballard locates one of the designers of the underground complex, and intimidates him into helping him get into the Dollhouse to rescue Caroline. Echo is Activated with an imprint specially designed to help her reach out to a troubled, abused young girl. The arrival of an encoded message from somewhere for erstwhile spy and security chief Dominic leads Adelle to revive his personality imprint, and the next step of Alpha's plan is revealed.

12. Omega
With Echo/Caroline in tow, Alpha leaves the Dollhouse. As Boyd and Ballard attempt to find him, the story of Caroline, Alpha, and much of the events leading up to the present are revealed.

Stars:
Eliza Dushku as Echo
Dichen Lachman as Sierra

Extras:
  • Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
OK... I admit it... I am hooked on this series again. This disc finishes off the season long arc. As this disc takes us to the season finale. The only thing I have left to watch is the two unaired episodes. Which will really be fun seeing episodes I never seen before. While I really enjoyed all the episodes on this disc... it is easy for me to pick a favorite this time. That would be Omega... the season finale. mainly because I liked how they tied everything together. As well as giving us a look into things from before the pilot episode. Explaining a lot.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #904 on: September 04, 2011, 06:54:16 AM »
The episodes in the first season of Dollhouse were longer because when FOX originally aired them, they had limited commercial breaks.  It was something they tried that year and they did it with Fringe too.  They haven't done it again though..just those two shows.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #905 on: September 04, 2011, 12:21:23 PM »
Thanks Marie. :)
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #906 on: September 04, 2011, 04:14:51 PM »
     Dollhouse: Season One Disc Four (2009/United States)

13. Epitaph OneUnaired Episode
In the year 2019, a small group of non-imprinted human rebels break into the ruins of the Dollhouse to learn what has led to a world where almost anyone can be imprinted and programmed to kill those who aren't converted.

14. EchoUnaired Pilot
In this, the unaired pilot for the show, we see Echo in several or her roles as an Active, as well as hear a discussion between Adelle and a possible client describing the nature of an Active. FBI Agent Paul Bower makes contact with Russian mobster Victor, asking about an urban legend called a "Dollhouse". Topher discusses his concerns about the Actives retaining some instinctual information, while Boyd expresses his moral concerns with regards to the Dollhouse concept.

Stars:
Eliza Dushku as Echo
Dichen Lachman as Sierra

Extras:
  • Audio Commentary
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Featurettes
  • Closed Captioned
  • Unaired Pilot

My Thoughts:
On this final disc of the first season set we get 2 unaired episodes. One being the original version of the pilot episode. I am not really sure why the other episode never aired. But I liked it a lot. It was a very interesting place to go... jumping ten years into the future... seeing that the Dollhouse basically brought on Armageddon. The unaired pilot was good as well. Though there was some scenes that looked familiar. Some clips from the original pilot was later used in other episodes.

Anyway... I really enjoyed watching this season set. Now I can only hope I will get the second season before too long... so I can complete my collection.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #907 on: September 06, 2011, 12:31:56 AM »
     All-American Girl: The Complete Series: Disc 4 (1995/United States)

Notes From The Underground
(Original air date 1/18/95)
Margaret moves into the basement and dates the handyman who fixes the place up, while grandma gets a viewer-tracking device but can't handle the pressure of being a TV ratings household.

Venus de Margaret
(Original air date 1/25/95)
Margaret poses for her sculpter ex-boyfriend but has second thoughts when the nude sculpture goes on display.

A Night At The Oprah
(Original air date 2/14/95)
Grandma is thrilled to get tickets to The Oprah Winfrey Show, But Katherine is not thrilled when Margaret announces on the show that she's dropping out of school to manage a rock band.

Pulp Sitcom
(Original air date 2/22/95)
Margaret finds herself immersed in a world of intrigue when her dad sets her up with a video distributor with a secret criminal life.

Young Americans
(Original air date 3/15/95)
The final episode of All-American Girl is actually a pilot for a new and never realized version of the show. Margaret waits for a call about a job opportunity but learns that her phone service has been cut off because her new roommate neglected to pay the bill.

Stars:
Margaret Cho as Margaret Kim
Jodi Long as Katherine Kim
Clyde Kusatsu as Benny Kim
Amy Hill as Grandma
Maddie Corman as Ruthie
Judy Gold as Gloria
J. B. Quon as Eric

Extras:
  • Audio Commentary
  • Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
This disc finishes off the set. I still enjoyed the show very much. The last episode was a reboot of the series... completely different from what the series was.... where they were hoping to start over in the second season. But it wasn't picked up. While it was enough that I would still watch it...I am not surprised it wasn't picked up... it just wasn't as good as the original format. This disc has several guest stars I am familiar with. One episode has Oprah Winfrey and Jack Black in it. Nest we had Quentin Tarantino in another episode. Then in the final episode there was Diedrich Badder and Vicki Lawrence. As for picking a favorite episode on this disc... I guess I would have to go with Pulp Sitcom... I just found that to be a fun episode.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #908 on: September 10, 2011, 02:11:07 PM »
     No Ordinary Family: The Complete First Season: Disc 1 (2010/United States)

1. Pilot
A flight to South America has a far greater impact on the Powells' family dynamic than they had planned.

2. No Ordinary Marriage
The Powells keep secrets from each other as JJ hides his new ability from everyone, and Jim and Stephanie secretly break their promises to the other not to use their powers. Meanwhile, Jim takes on bank robbers and Stephanie attempts to determine the source of their powers.

3. No Ordinary Ring
Jim and George crash a wedding to catch the thieves who stole Stephanie's wedding ring. Meanwhile, Stephanie is forced to break into a secure lab to retrieve Katie's blood sample after the lab tech substitutes her blood for Stephanie's to protect her, Daphne considers telling a friend about her powers, and JJ asks his sister to read a girl's mind and find out if she likes him.

4. No Ordinary Vigilante
Jim is mistaken for a vigilante while trying to protect people in the park at night. Meanwhile, Daphne uses her powers to get herself invited to a party she normally wouldn't have been considered for.

5. No Ordinary Quake
Jim comes across someone else with powers, but isn't using them for the greater good. Meanwhile, Stephanie and Katie pursue the secret of Volson's research, Daphne telepathically learns a startling secret about a classmate, and JJ continues to try and hide his secret.

Stars:
Michael Chiklis as Jim Powell
Julie Benz as Stephanie Powell
Romany Malco as George St. Cloud
Stephen Collins as Dr. Dayton King
Autumn Reeser as Katie Andrews
Kay Panabaker as Daphne Powell
Jimmy Bennett as JJ Powell

Extras:
  • None

My Thoughts:
I been waiting to add this show to my collection since it originally aired. It is one of my favorite—unfortunately short lived—TV series of all time. It stars the always lovely Julie Benz (Dexter) as the mother in a family that get superpowers after a plane crash into a body of water that had a strange florescent glow. She develops super-speed. The show also stars Michael Chiklis who plays her husband and gets super-strong and nearly invincible... much like his character in Fantastic 4 as The Thing. Their daughter (Kay Panabaker) develops the power to read minds... and their son (Jimmy Bennett) develops super-intellect.

As I said... unfortunately this series was canceled after only the first season (20 episodes). Which is a real shame... especially with how the series ended. It does answer most all the questions asked in the first season. But it also sets up for a huge seconds season storyline. I found all the episodes on this disc to be just plain outstanding. I loved every second of watching these episodes again. I was actually a little surprised at just how much I got into watching these episodes again... on a second viewing. It is really difficult for me to pick a favorite episode on this disc since I did love them all so much. But I guess I would have to go with the pilot episode. It introduces the characters very well. It does a great job at drawing you into the story. While watching the episode it felt like it was over in like 10 or 15 minutes... instead of the actual 45min. While watching the episode I was shocked when it was over already!

But apparently not a lot of people agree with me on how good this series was... or it would still be on the air. All I know is it was a popular show in my house as pretty much everyone here watched it every week.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #909 on: September 12, 2011, 12:35:18 AM »
     Dollhouse: The Complete Season 2: Disc 1 (2009/United States)

1. Vows
As part of the Dollhouse's deal with Ballard, Echo becomes the ultimate double agent. Believing that she is Paul's former FBI partner, she goes deep undercover investigating weapons broker Martin Klar. But before she can get the information they need, this investigation is going to lead Echo into Klar's heart, and even down the aisle... Meanwhile Dr. Saunders has to deal with her anger towards Topher and her anxiety about her own past.

2. Instinct
For her latest assignment, Echo is imprinted as a new mother, and the mental changes are so profound that they affect her body on a glandular level. But when she believes that someone may want to harm her "son", her reactions are more intense than anyone could have predicted. Meanwhile, Senator Perrin steps up his investigation, and Adelle pays November a visit.

3. Belle Chose
At the request of a Dollhouse shareholder, Victor is imprinted with the mind of the man's nephew. The man's unstable, psychotic, homicidal nephew. Now, just as Ballard is starting to adjust to his new role, he must call upon all of his FBI training when Victor escapes the Dollhouse to wander the streets with a killer in his head.

Stars:
Eliza Dushku as Echo
Enver Gjokaj as Victor
Dichen Lachman as Sierra

Extras:
  • Audio Commentary
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
This is a good start to the second season. I enjoyed all the episodes quite a bit. After watching the episodes I went back and listened to the Commentary Track with Joss Whedon on the episode Vows. Which was alright... but I liked his commentaries on Buffy the Vampire Slayer better. Before watching this disc I had forgotten that Amy Acker's time in this series was very much limited. Which is a shame since I liked her every since first seeing her on Angel. My favorite episode on this disc? I guess I would have to go with Instinct.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #910 on: September 12, 2011, 06:49:48 PM »
     No Ordinary Family: The Complete First Season: Disc 2 (2010/United States)

6. No Ordinary Visitors
Jim's in-laws, Barbara and Allan, arrive for a surprise visit and Stephanie and Jim scurry to keep their powers a secret. However, they soon realize that something is going on. Meanwhile, Jim tries to track down some home invaders while trying to maintain his secret, and wants Daphne to help over Stephanie's objections.

7. No Ordinary Mobster
Jim goes after a mobster who has plagued George for years, ignoring his friend's request to stay out of the case. Meanwhile, Stephanie disobeys Dr. King's wishes and tries to find out more about Volson's research, and Daphne asks JJ to use his powers to help her impress a boy.

8. No Ordinary Accident
Stephanie tries to determine why Jim has lost his powers; Katie gets a boyfriend; Mr. Litchfield catches JJ hacking into the school computer; and Daphne uses her powers to impress a boy.

9. No Ordinary Anniversary
Jim and Stephanie celebrate their anniversary, and end up fighting crime together for the first time when a super-powered individual with the ability to project flames goes on a rampage. Meanwhile, Daphne ends up helping JJ win enough money at poker to buy a new computer.

10. No Ordinary Sidekick
When George gets credit for one of Jim's secret crimefighting activities, animosity breaks out between the two friends. Meanwhile, Daphne suspects something is wrong with Katie's new boyfriend, JJ discovers a problem with his powers, and Stephanie and Katie disagree over a personal matter.

Stars:

Extras:
  • Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
Hard to believe that I am already half way through this set! I am still enjoying all the episodes very much... though No Ordinary Mobster is my least favorite episode so far. It could have been better. As with the last disc... it is difficult to pick a favorite episode on this disc. I guess I would have to go with No Ordinary Visitors... as it was fun to see them deal with visiting parents (Stephanie's parents). It was fun watching them try to hide their powers from them... while at the same time use them to impress or get even with their parents at the same time... depending on the situation.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #911 on: September 13, 2011, 11:30:49 AM »
     Dollhouse: The Complete Season 2: Disc 2 (2009/United States)

4. Belonging
We learn more about Sierra's connection to Rossum and the twisted trail of deception, obsession, and murder that led her to the Dollhouse.

5. The Public Eye
Senator Daniel Perrin is on a mission to expose secrets of the Dollhouse and Echo is sent to put an end to his plan. Adelle realizes that someone is trying to eliminate the LA Dollhouse and is using Perrin to do so. Meanwhile, Paul makes contact with Perrin's surprise witness and attempts to derail the senator's plans.

6. The Left Hand
Echo meets Bennett Halverson in Washington and both of them receive a shock. Adelle must deal with her DC counterpart, Stewart Lipman. Topher recruits Victor, and Senator Perrin finds unexpected help in his quest to reveal the activities of the Rossum Corporation.

7. Meet Jane Doe
Echo is left adrift in the world after her experiences at the DC Dollhouse, and her multiple personalities struggle against each other... and Echo. Meanwhile, Boyd receives a call and Harding makes his move against Adelle.

Stars:
Eliza Dushku as Echo
Enver Gjokaj as Victor
Dichen Lachman as Sierra

Extras:
  • Audio Commentary
  • Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
I finished this disc yesterday evening. I am still enjoying all the episodes very much. We get to see Summer Glau guest star in two of the episodes on this disc. I am liking where the storyline is going. I noticed that I am not remembering much about this season at all. It has been almost like watching the season for the first time again.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #912 on: September 14, 2011, 01:43:42 AM »
     No Ordinary Family: The Complete First Season: Disc 3 (2011/United States)

11. No Ordinary Friends
Jim saves a man's life, and bonds with him, his wife, and their kids. However, Jim wonders if their new friends are concealing something. Meanwhile, Daphne runs for student council President, and Katie talks to Stephanie about her boyfriend.

12. No Ordinary Brother
When Jim's brother Mike learns that his brother has powers, he attempts to use JJ's powers to win at the horse track. Meanwhile, Katie receives a promotion, and Daphne comes to believe a student accused of drug use is innocent.

13. No Ordinary Detention
Thugs invade the police station during an Internal Affair investigation into a rogue cop, and Jim has to choose whether to risk revealing his powers to stop them. Meanwhile, HR VP Victoria Morrow begins snooping around the Global Tech labs and gets close to Stephanie's secret.

14. No Ordinary Double Standard
Jim refuses to let Stephanie help him stop a super-powered individual who is targeting her friend, she takes offense and the two end up in a competition to take out the bad guy. Meanwhile, Daphne objects when Jim lets JJ date a senior, but won't let her do the same. And Katie learns something unexpected about her boyfriend.

15. No Ordinary Powell
Dr. King orders Victoria to use her abilities to slip into the Powell home and kill one member of the family. Meanwhile, JJ and Daphne investigate the death of Natalie's mother.

Stars:

Extras:
  • Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
Another disc full of great episodes! I am so enjoying revisiting this series! All the episodes are as entertaining as the first time I watched them. On this disc it was easy for me to pick a favorite. I have to say it was No Ordinary Detention... I just liked how they did an homage to the movie Die Hard. I can't believe I am almost done this set... only one more disc full of episodes to watch! I hate that this series was canceled after the first season!

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #913 on: September 14, 2011, 04:42:39 PM »
     The War at Home: The Complete First Season: Disc 1 (2005/United States)

1 Pilot
Hillary's new study buddy may have more on his mind than conjugating French verbs.

2 I.M. What I.M.
An emale midlife crisis? Dave sends secret instant messages to someone with the screen name "Lonely Lady Michigan."

3 Guess Who's Coming to Bar-B-Q
Dace is political-correctness challenged when Vicky invites Taye's family over for a barbeque.

4 High Crimes
It looks like the whole Gold family is going to pot: Three generations get involved with the illegal weed.

5 Dave Get Your Gun
Dave frets about his son's lack of machismo after Larry lands the male lead in the school production of Annie Get Your Gun.

6 The Bigger They Come
When Hilllary asks for breast implants, Dave assures her that beauty comes from within...then has to practice what he preaches.

7 Like a Virgin
Convinced that Hillary plans to take the Big Step on her next date, Dave freaks.

Stars:
Michael Rapaport as Dave Gold
Anita Barone as Vicky Gold
Kaylee DeFer as Hillary Gold
Kyle Sullivan as Larry Gold
Dean Collins as Mike Gold

Extras:
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
I decided I wanted a little change of pace... so I popped in this sitcom. It is a show I never seen before... even though I have had it in my collection for just over two years now. It isn't a terribly bad sitcom... but it isn't as good as I was hoping either. One thing they do that I don't care for is through-out the story they will cut to a white screen with just one of the characters who then precedes to talk to the camera. I just don't like it much when they break up the story like that. It isn't too bad when they do it to show a flashback... but I don't like it when they do it just so one of the characters can talk to the camera. Towards the end of the disc I did enjoy it a little more then what I did in the beginning... so it is starting to grow on me a little. But I am not surprised the series was canceled after only 2 seasons... and only the first season was released on DVD.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #914 on: September 15, 2011, 01:39:34 AM »
     No Ordinary Family: The Complete First Season: Disc 4 (2011/United States)

16. No Ordinary Proposal
Jim feels guilty after his actions inadvertently injure a bystander. The Watcher proposes to Katie, Chris steals the trilsettum serum and injects it into his crippled father, and Mr. Litchfield forces JJ to join the academic decathlon team.

17. No Ordinary Love
King's mysterious superior, Mrs. X, sends a super to seduce Jim and George with her ability to compel men to obey her. Meanwhile, Chris suspects that Daphne and her family have special abilities, and Stephanie has to compromise her principles to maintain her cover as a loyal worker for Dr. King.

18. No Ordinary Animal
While a new super stalks the family on Mrs. X's orders, Daphne and Chris ditch school for a music video shoot, JJ tries to determine Mr. Litchfield's plans, and Katie learns more about her former fiancé.

19. No Ordinary Future
Stephanie ends up traveling to the future and seeing her family's secret revealed, and the consequences that result. Returning to the present, she tries to prevent the future from occurring. Meanwhile, Jim and George track down the criminal responsible for the death of a cop, and Mrs. X assigns someone to watch the pregnant Katie.

20. No Ordinary Beginning
The mysterious Mrs. X kidnaps JJ for his super brain while George is imprisoned on a doomed plane. Meanwhile, the Watcher and Katie reunite, and Jim and Stephanie turn to King for help finding their son.

Stars:

Extras:
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Outtakes/Bloopers
  • Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
And with this disc I have re-watched the entire series. I loved watching all the episodes in this series just as much this time as I did when they originally aired. After watching the last episode I once again became very disappointed that the series wasn't renewed. While all the main questions season 1 asked was answered... it also did a great job at setting up season 2. And I would have really liked to see where they were going to go with it. Some of the episodes on this disc has a special guest star... Lucy Lawless (Xena: Warrior Princess). As for my favorite episode on this disc... it isn't an easy choice... but I think I will have to go with No Ordinary Beginning... as it made an excellent season finale... as I said... answering most all the questions the season asked. Unfortunately it don't make as good of a series finale.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete