Author Topic: Kick-Ass *****  (Read 32349 times)

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Kick-Ass *****
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2010, 06:01:39 AM »
That opens up one improtant question for me, since I know there are changes: which would you say is the better sequence. read the book first (have it already) or watch the movie first?

I plan to watch the film on Saturday, so there would still be time...
« Last Edit: April 13, 2010, 06:05:15 AM by Achim »

Critter

« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2010, 06:16:37 AM »
No! Achim, whatever you do don't read the comic first! See the film then read the comic after. The film is amazing and needs to be seen first to leave the best 'first impression' of the story, or I feel so anyway. Then later on if you feel you can read the comic and be thankful for the changes to the film.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2010, 06:21:36 AM »
Thanks! I almost made the "mistakeĀ§" otherwise.

BTW, I listened to an interview with mark Millar the other day. He confirmed that the writers asked him about every change they wanted to make to the story and that he agreed, seeing how it would improve a translation to the screen. Seeing certain things written (and drawn) is one thing, haveing them on the screen is another, he said. He basically confirmed Kick-Ass 2, which would be due after another comic book adapation of his, also with Matthew Vaughn.

Critter

« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2010, 06:36:51 AM »
The thought of Kick-Ass 2 worries me. I just can't see how they could possibly top the first one, which means it could be a big let down after the original.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2010, 06:42:07 AM »
If a film like that is loads of fun to watch then usually I am fine with "more fo the same" :D

lovemunkey187

« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2010, 01:00:50 PM »
HAs anyone read Scott Pilgrim? The trailer for the film was on before Kick Ass, and I'm curious as to what the books are like.

The thought of Kick-Ass 2 worries me. I just can't see how they could possibly top the first one, which means it could be a big let down after the original.

I don't think that you need to worry too much.

Mark Millar is so creative that sameness shouldn't be a problem.

Najemikon

« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2010, 09:01:59 PM »
Jon! I just finished reading all 8 of the books in the comic series and damn am I glad they made changes from the books to the film.
Especially when it comes to Big Daddy as in the comics he was a
(click to show/hide)
I am so thankful now for the fantastic Big Daddy that Nic Cage delivered.
Oh and also
(click to show/hide)
I would love to see what the Daily Mail would have to say about that if it was in the film haha.

That's interesting, but kind of what I expected. Mark Millar is a British writer and our comics are exploitive like that and like to challenge, so it isn't surprising that...

(click to show/hide)

See also the incredible Preacher, by Irish Garth Ennis...

Or History of Violence by John Wagner (who also created Dredd). I think it's safe to say 2000ad is responsible, having given writers like Wagner and Ennis a platform for such ideas, even though the tone is acceptable for a wider age range than the above examples.

Judge Dredd is the epitome of this balance between pathos, drama and full-on absurd violence. Please, god of movies, ask Wagner to write a new Dredd film!

It's part of the reason I enjoy British comics a lot more than American; we've got balls!  :devil: Frank Miller's style I think owes a lot to people like Ennis.

There are few times this works purely as a film and it's one of the reasons I loved Kick-Ass, because it makes enough changes to make it viable and honest as a screenplay. I'm amazed there are such clear differences despite them being developed at the same time.

Offline goodguy

• Heavy Poster
  • Colleen West never liked the first light of day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2010, 05:08:44 PM »
Matthias

snowcat

« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2010, 06:03:54 PM »
I love Roger Ebert XD

You know, so many of my friends have watched this and said "the trailer made it look like a comedy, it wasn't funny"

I always say "RESEARCH THE STORY"

I also hear alot of  "the comic ruins the movie".... Id love someone to explain that one to me.

Ive tried to keep out of this thread because I can see an argument arising... my views are dramatically different to many people on here about this film.

I think Ebert was a little harsh on the movie though.

Offline goodguy

• Heavy Poster
  • Colleen West never liked the first light of day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2010, 07:32:08 PM »
I think Ebert was a little harsh on the movie though.

As I haven't seen the movie yet, I can't be sure, but I don't think I will agree with him either. I love reading his reviews anyway, though. I suppose, he was trying to make a point, but I'm not sure what it is. He has written favorable reviews for ultraviolent and offensive movies (for example, he gave Shoot 'Em Up 3.5 stars). Maybe it is really the kid-thing that got him riled up.
Matthias

Najemikon

« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2010, 09:47:18 PM »
Have you seen this one?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/reviews/article-1262948/Kick-Ass-Dont-fooled-hype--This-crime-cinema-twisted-cynical-revels-abuse-childhood.html

This guy is a hack at the best of times, but actually, he starts off with some decent points, if you don't like the violence. But he really loses it with the ridiculous links to paedophilia.  :hysterical:

I like Ebert's reviews too, Matthias. It doesn't matter if you don't agree with a critic of any sort, you can still enjoy and respect their opinion and I certainly do his. However, he does make what is tantamount to a mistake in there as he dismisses the film as just being about kids trying to be superheroes and is confused that Hit-Girl is a kid successful at what she does, because that surely undermines the point of the story? But the point is in the irony that Hit-Girl and Big Daddy are good at what they do yet keep it under cover, despite the absurd costumes. They aren't normal. Dave, to a certain extent, is normal and is making a fool of himself.

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2010, 11:49:39 PM »
I finally had the chance to see the movie  :thumbup:

Critter

« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2010, 12:25:38 AM »
I'm glad you liked it Tom. I'm hoping to see it again before it leaves cinemas. ;D

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2010, 12:36:23 AM »
I watched it spontaniously today in a preview screening with a friend (official start in Germany is next week). I already had it planned to watch it with colleagues soon, so it will be the first movie in a long while which I watched more than once in the cinema.

Critter

« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2010, 12:44:06 AM »
If I see it again that will make it 4 times yet even after three viewings already, the thought of going again already has me excited. If I see a film a lot at the cinema I usually get sick of it but with Kick-Ass I just keep getting as excited before each viewing.

I read Eberts review yesterday, I didn't mind that he hated it becuase he at least wrote reasonable reasons why, it was understandable. Mr Tookey on the other hand... I don't know what film he was seeing becuase I certainly didn't see an 11 year-old "sexually aggressive" character in the film I saw. And the fact that he did see one makes me hope to God he never has children.