Author Topic: Cop Out  (Read 3787 times)

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
Cop Out
« on: March 18, 2010, 08:30:28 PM »
I can’t stand Tracy Morgan but I usually like Bruce Willis, so I decided to go ahead and see Cop Out, their new movie.  The movie is entertaining overall, but Morgan is in full on annoying mode.  He just goes overboard too much and it grates on my nerves.  I do think the movie would have been better if someone else had been cast instead of Morgan.

I wasn’t exactly sure what to expect based on the previews I saw, something that doesn’t happen that often anymore since the previews tend to give away practically everything.  It seems like the movie is going to be a more traditional type of cop movie at first, with Jimmy and Paul trying to stop a drug deal.  Then things go very wrong and things go off in a direction I didn’t expect.  There are a few surprises that help to keep things interesting while a few other things are still predictable.  From the previews I had seen for the movie, I had thought that the character that Seann William Scott would have a bigger part than he ended up having.  That is kind of disappointing, especially since he was so much more entertaining than Morgan.  Scott added the best moments to the movie.  There is a decent amount of action to the movie along with some violence that isn’t overly graphic. 

The movie manages to be entertaining for the most part, but Tracy Morgan is so annoying that he almost ruined the entire movie for me.  People that can’t stand him may want to pick something else to watch.

I did get a review posted on Epinions.  I think I would have gone with 2 ½ stars if I had the option there..mostly because of Morgan.  Since I didn’t, I decided to go ahead and round up to 3.

Cop Out

Najemikon

Re: Cop Out
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2010, 09:00:54 PM »
What's your opinion of films like Fletch and Beverley Hills Cop? I know Kevin Smith was trying for that sort of vibe and as I don't mind Morgan, it's all good.  ;)

I've forgotten the name, but Smith is working on a hockey film with Sean William Scott as the lead. I think they said Cop Out barely amounts to a cameo because it was just a way of getting his foot in the door. This was a studio film so Kevin is using it as credential to get the next one funded.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2010, 09:18:04 PM »
I love Fletch and Beverly Hills Cop. That reminds me..I still need to review the Beverly Hills Cop movies on Epinions.  I hadn't heard Smith was trying for that sort of thing.  I can sort of see that with Cop Out.  You could end up liking the movie more than I did since Morgan doesn't annoy you. 

Ahh..ok.  I didn't know that Seann William Scott is doing another movie with Smith.  His part is very small..maybe a tiny bit bigger than what I tend to think of as cameos.  The previews I saw all gave more emphasis to Scott's character, making it seem like his character would be around a lot more.  So I was disappointed when he wasn't in more of the movie.

Najemikon

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2010, 09:30:21 PM »
At one point, Smith was hoping to get Harold Faltenmeyer out of retirement to do the score and capture that unique style of Murphy's films.

MEJHarrison

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2010, 06:59:32 PM »
I used to hate Morgan as well.  But he finally won me over on 30 Rock.  Still, it took 3 seasons!

But I love Willis and I'm very much looking forward to this one. ;D

snowcat

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2010, 12:40:52 AM »
The sole thing that won me over to Morgan was this quote from 30 Rock

Season 2 Episode 1 (Seinfeld Vision)

(click to show/hide)

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2010, 03:26:36 AM »
I don't watch 30 Rock.  I saw one or two episodes and just couldn't get into the show.

snowcat

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2010, 10:07:52 AM »
I think 30 Rock is very hit and miss, some episodes I find boring and some I love, it seems the same for alot of people... Its one I stuck with even though I don;t enjoy it constantly

Najemikon

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2010, 12:52:34 PM »
I really like it, but I haven't seen season 3 yet. I tend not to like the typical American sitcom, like Friends, though I enjoy them occasionally, but 30 Rock was fresh and different.

MEJHarrison

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2010, 05:16:16 PM »
I really like it, but I haven't seen season 3 yet. I tend not to like the typical American sitcom, like Friends, though I enjoy them occasionally, but 30 Rock was fresh and different.

:cheers:

Took the words right out of my mouth.