Author Topic: Dave's DVD/Blu-ray Reviews  (Read 272204 times)

Critter

Re: Dave's DVD/Blu-ray Reviews
« Reply #240 on: November 24, 2010, 10:12:03 PM »
Ha I'm glad you loved that little cameo by Totoro! I saw it with my friend in the cinema and we got so excited, we seemed to be the only people who noticed though.

Offline dfmorgan

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: November 28, 2010, 12:53:13 PM »
Fantasia

Part of

Fantasia

Year: 1940
Director:
Cast:
Overview: Walt Disney's timeless masterpiece is an extravaganza of sight and sound - now brilliantly presented in high definition with an all-new digital restoration! Blu-ray™ technology finally makes it possible for you to experience Fantasia the way Walt envisionned!

Plus, an exploration of the new Disney Family Museum and dynamic new bonus features allow generations of moviegoers to enjoy this musical masterpiece like never before. No family's Disney Blu-ray collection is complete without Fantasia! See the music come to life, hear the pictures burst into song and experience the excitement that is Fantasia over and over again through the magic of Blu-ray!

Watched: 27th. Nov 2010
My Thoughts: The first film I saw, I was taken to see it by my parents in the mid-1950's when I was about 5 or 6. It was magic then and still is today.

My Rating: Absolutely wonderful

Dave
Dave

Life? - Who needs a life when you have anime!

My DVD/HD-DVD/Blu-ray Collection
My Library
My CD Collection - sorry I use readerware for that and it doesn't have an online component.

Critter

« Reply #242 on: November 28, 2010, 01:10:18 PM »
Gah! When is this coming out in Australia! I have been dying to get my hands on this for years, DVD or blu and it isn't even listed here yet as being released soon.  :(. I really hope it's soon though, I have been waiting so long and haven't seen the full film from start to finish in years. Yet when I was younger I watched it constantly and knew it back to front.

Offline dfmorgan

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: November 28, 2010, 08:33:45 PM »
Gah! When is this coming out in Australia! I have been dying to get my hands on this for years, DVD or blu and it isn't even listed here yet as being released soon.  :(. I really hope it's soon though, I have been waiting so long and haven't seen the full film from start to finish in years. Yet when I was younger I watched it constantly and knew it back to front.

I hope the wait isn't too long for you. It was wonderful seeing it again.
Dave

My Library
My CD Collection - sorry I use readerware for that and it doesn't have an online component.

Offline dfmorgan

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: November 28, 2010, 08:34:14 PM »
Fantasia 2000

Part of

Fantasia

Year: 1999
Director:
Cast:
Overview: Experience an extravaganza of sight and sound in Fantasia 2000, the triumphant classic inspired by Walt Disney's vision of Fantasia as a continuing work-in-progress, now brilliantly presented in high definition. Plus, for the first time ever on Blu-ray™, experience the 2003 Academy Award® - nominated animated short Destino - the extraordinary collaboration between Walt Disney and the legendary Salvador Dali!

Through the magic of Blu-ray, fully immerse yourself in the wonders of this innovative blend of music and animated imagery. See the music come to life, hear the pictures burst into song and share the excitement that is Fantasia 2000 with your family again and again.

Watched: 28th. Nov 2010
My Thoughts: Not quite as wonderful as the original Fantasia, maybe because the themes used within the images are similar to the earlier themes. Still very enjoyable though.

My Rating: An enjoyable 3

Dave
Dave

My Library

Offline dfmorgan

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: December 05, 2010, 12:20:28 PM »
My Summer Of Love

Part of

Imagine Me & You / My Summer of Love

Year: 2004
Director: Pawel Pawlikowski
Cast: Natalie Press, Emily Blunt, Paddy Considine
Overview: Mona (Natalie Press) has just got hold of a brilliant moped that only cost a tenner. No engine but still dirt-cheap. She lives with her brother, Phil (Paddy Considine) who used to run a pub before he found God and poured away all the booze. Tamsin (Emily Blunt) is rich, spoilt and trying to live a life of seductive decadence. They meet on the moors, above their quiet Yorkshire village and begin an intense, unlikely friendship. Tamsin and Mona want to escape their lives, but Phil wants to save them and save everybody else. Mona wants the old, dangerous, Phil back; the brother that she loved. Tamsin wants to see what it takes to break him.

Watched: 4th. Dec 2010
My Thoughts: As mentioned elsewhere a bit of faux pas by Universal to include this as part of a Romantic Comedy Double as although there is romance and some comedic pieces this is not a Rom/Com.

Overall I thought that this was and OK film. Some of the film could be used to sell Yorkshire as a county to visit because there was some stunning photography of the countryside, dales and woods. However the director used some techniques in the filming of the lead girls that left me cold. He seemed to me to be filming like a first time user of a camcorder with tops of heads cut off, jerky movement to close in to the face then a jerky movement back out. I wondered at first if this was his first film but found on IMDb that it wasn't. As already said an overall enjoyable film with a nice unexpected twist and with that enigmatic smile on Mona's (Natalie Press) face as she walks away at the end leaving one to ponder.

My Rating: Overall a 3 from me

Dave
Dave

My Library

Offline dfmorgan

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: December 05, 2010, 12:32:08 PM »
Imagine Me & You

Part of

Imagine Me & You / My Summer of Love

Year: 2005
Director: Ol Parker
Cast: Piper Perabo, Lena Headley, Matthew Goode
Overview: "A genuine world rocking romance that's guaranteed to make the hardest of hearts believe in love at first sight" — GRAZIA Magazine. Heck and Rachel are a young London couple about to embark in a new life together when an unexpected meeting turns Rachel's world upside down. What follows is the romantic, hilarious and sometimes poignant journey familiar to anyone who has ever fallen in love at first sight. And what if you discover that the one person you are destined to spend the rest of your life with might not be your boyfriend, but a perfect stranger? Imagine Me & You shows that the path to true love isn't always straight...

Watched: 4th. Dec 2010
My Thoughts: A fairly standard Rom/Com with a twist. Standard in that boy meets girl, boy loses girl, boy meets girl again and gets girl this time but the twist here is that it's girl meets girl etc. I quite enjoyed it and thought that the female cast came over extremely well.

My Rating: Overall a 3 from me

Dave
« Last Edit: December 05, 2010, 12:42:40 PM by dfmorgan »
Dave

My Library

Offline dfmorgan

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: December 05, 2010, 09:02:05 PM »
The Search For Santa Paws

Year: 2010
Director: Robert Vince
Cast: Kaitlyn Maher, Madison Pettis, Richard Riehle
Overview: In the tradition of Disney's classic holiday tales comes a heartwarming movie about the power of giving and the true meaning of Christmas. Discover how the legendary friendship of Santa Claus and Santa Paws began in the inspiring original film, The Search For Santa Paws.

When Santa and his new best friend, Paws, discover that the boys and girls of the world have lost the spirit of the season, they take a trip to New York City. But after Santa loses his memory, it's up to Paws, a faithful orphan named Quinn (America's Got Talent Kaitlyn Maher), her new friend Will (The Game Plan's Madison Pettis) and a wonderful group of magical talking dogs to save St. Nick and show the world what Christmas is really all about.

This Christmas, Disney invites you to meet Santa's BFF in an instant holiday classic, full of fun, adventure and a timeless message sure to delight the entire family!

Watched: 5th. Dec 2010
My Thoughts: Fairly standard Disney Christmas fare. Santa Claus, along with his new pet puppy Paws, visits New York but he is knocked over and loses his memory. A series of adventures and misadventures ensue until almost everyone has their Christmas enhanced and enriched.

My Rating: An enjoyable 3

Dave
Dave

My Library

Offline dfmorgan

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: December 11, 2010, 03:14:17 PM »
My Name Is Khan

Director: Karan Johar
Cast: Shah Rukh Khan, Kajol
Overview: My Name Is Khan is the triumphant story of an unconventional hero and the obstacles he must overcome to regain the love of this life. Rizvan Khan, a Muslim man who has Aspergers Syndrome, moves to San Francisco and falls in love with the beautiful Mandira. They marry and have a happy life; until September 11, 2001, when attitudes towards Muslims undergo an alarming change. After a series of tragic events leaves her devastated, Mandira splits from Rizvan, leaving him alone once again. To win her back, Rizvan embarks on a touching and inspiring journey across America to clear his name and prove his love to the woman who captured his heart.

Watched: 10th. Dec 2010
My Thoughts: I can't really articulate my thoughts on this film. Let's just say wonderful.

My Rating: A wonderful 5

Dave
Dave

My Library

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
« Reply #249 on: December 11, 2010, 03:30:37 PM »
Glad you liked it. Though I am surprised you like it that much :)
Seems we really have the same taste in movies for the most part.
Though I am curious what you thought about the Wilhelmina/Mama Jenny subplot. When I first saw this movie it was the international cut which had done away with these scenes. And I have to admit that I liked the movie even better without them.

There is one other Bollywood movie, which has become a guilty pleasure of mine, where I am really curious if you would enjoy it as well: Rab Ne Bana Di Jodi.

Offline dfmorgan

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: December 11, 2010, 05:01:10 PM »
Glad you liked it. Though I am surprised you like it that much :)
I was surprised as well but yes that much. I liked that, again, this film went against the grain of a 'typical' Bollywood film in the fact that they took on awkward subjects head-on with the racism and his autism. Not that difficult subjects haven't been used before viz Swades: We the People, Lagaan: Once Upon a Time in India and Chak De! India all, to some degree, attacked casteism.

Seems we really have the same taste in movies for the most part.
Though I am curious what you thought about the Wilhelmina/Mama Jenny subplot. When I first saw this movie it was the international cut which had done away with these scenes. And I have to admit that I liked the movie even better without them.
Not having seen the other cut I can't really comment but I wonder if this section was a dig at President Bush and his supposed lack of action in New Orleans following Hurricane Katrina. Here they show that one man can make a difference even in the poorest of situations. If this was the case maybe it was removed to try to garner more popularity.

There is one other Bollywood movie, which has become a guilty pleasure of mine, where I am really curious if you would enjoy it as well: Rab Ne Bana Di Jodi.
OK looks interesting, I will place an order for this :)
Dave

My Library

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
« Reply #251 on: December 11, 2010, 05:13:39 PM »
Not having seen the other cut I can't really comment but I wonder if this section was a dig at President Bush and his supposed lack of action in New Orleans following Hurricane Katrina. Here they show that one man can make a difference even in the poorest of situations. If this was the case maybe it was removed to try to garner more popularity.

The subplot itself was in the shorter cut via the television report and such. What was cut was the interaction of Khan with Jenny and Joel.

OK looks interesting, I will place an order for this :)
Compared to most of the recommendations I have given you so far, I would say it is the most "typical" Bollywood movie. Though I thought the same thing about Veer-Zaara and you really ended up liking it as well to my surprise.

Offline dfmorgan

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: December 12, 2010, 12:26:26 PM »
Ong Bak 3

Director: Tony Jaa and Panna Rittikrai
Cast: Tony Jaa, Primrata Det-Udom, Chupong Chungpruk
Overview: The mighty Tien (TONY JAA), Muay Thai Warrior and fighting legend, has been captured, tortured and left for dead by the eternally cursed tyrant Lord Rajaseena. Beaten beyond any reccognition, Tien is saved by the ancient Kana Khone villagers and revived through their strange, mystical rituals. Returning from the brink of death, Tien must now transform himself into an unstoppable force of vengeance and fury; an ultimate warrior prepared to unleash a storm of bone breaking, neck snapping, skull crushing justice.

The original ONG-BAK brought martial arts movies into the new century. With its mind blowing stunts and jaw dropping action sequences it made TONY JAA an instant legend. Following on directly from ONG-BAK 2, part 3 brings an explosive conclusion to the trilogy that has taken action cinema to another level. Essential, unforgettable and simply astounding, there is no other movie experience that could possibly compare to the fearless, gravity defying TONY JAA.

Watched: 11th. Dec 2010
My Thoughts: This is a direct sequel to Ong Bak: The Beginning and, to me, this was better than that as whilst still loads of bone-crunching action and weapons the story came over as more cohesive and followable.

My Rating: I enjoyed this more so a 3

Dave
Dave

My Library

Offline dfmorgan

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: December 19, 2010, 12:35:56 PM »
Inception

Director: Christopher Nolan
Cast: Leonardo DiCaprio, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Ellen Page
Overview: Acclaimed filmmaker Christopher Nolan directs an international cast in this sci-fi actioner that travels around the globe and into the world of dreams. Dom Cobb (Leonardo DiCaprio) is the best there is at extraction: stealing valuable secrets inside the subconscious during the mind’s vulnerable dream state. His skill has made him a coveted player in industrial espionage but also has made him a fugitive and cost him dearly. Now he may get a second chance if he can do the impossible: inception, planting an idea rather than stealing one. If they succeed, Cobb and his team could pull off the perfect crime. But no planning or expertise can prepare them for a dangerous enemy that seems to predict their every move. An enemy only Cobb could have seen coming.

Watched: 18th. Dec 2010
My Thoughts: I did enjoy this film even though it managed to get a little confusing at times. I think I need to rewatch this, maybe earlier in the day rather than late evening, to try to get a better understanding.

My Rating: For the moment an enjoyableish 3

Dave
Dave

My Library

Offline dfmorgan

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: December 19, 2010, 08:54:55 PM »
The Sorcerer's Apprentice

Director: Jon Turteltaub
Cast: Nicolas Cage, Jay Baruchel, Alfred Molina
Overview: A job so great...it's magic

Magic is everywhere in Disney's The Sorcerer's Apprentice - the fun family adventure from the creators of National Treasure. Balthazar Blake (Nicolas Cage) is a modern-day sorcerer with his hands full defending Manhattan against dark forces. When a seemingly average kid shows hidden potential, Balthazar takes his reluctant recruit on a crash course in the art and science of magic to become the ultimate sorcerer's apprentice. Experience more extraordinary thrills, heart-stopping action and spectacular special effects than you can imagine as these unlikely partners show us the real world is far more magical than we ever knew!

Watched: 19th. Dec 2010
My Thoughts: An enjoyable park-your-brain actioner. Everyone came over well and I thought Nicolas Cage's acting style suited the character of Balthazar. One squence in the film was a nice little homage to "The Sorcerer's Apprentice" sequence in Fantasia. Pre and post credits sequences point to a possible sequel.

My Rating: A very enjoyable 3

Dave
Dave

My Library