Author Topic: Dave's DVD/Blu-ray Reviews  (Read 272122 times)

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Dave's DVD/Blu-ray Reviews
« Reply #30 on: March 05, 2010, 10:00:36 PM »
Glad to see someone else here besides Jon and I delving into films pre-1980's.  :thumbup:
:redcard:
I watch mostly pre eighties films, I just don't review most of them here ;)

my apologies Jimmy :bag: :slaphead:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
« Reply #31 on: March 05, 2010, 10:43:49 PM »
Good review. Glad to see someone else here besides Jon and I delving into films pre-1980's.  :thumbup:

I have been known to watch pre-1980s movies from time to time ;)
Like this very same movie ;)

Critter

« Reply #32 on: March 06, 2010, 12:08:19 AM »
About a third or so of the films in my animated reviews so far have been pre 1980's, and I have quite a few pre 1980's live-actions films in my collection as well, including The Day The Earth Stood still which I have seen being reviewed a lot latley. I will probably get around to watching/reviewing it soon.

Rogmeister

« Reply #33 on: March 06, 2010, 01:09:53 AM »
I also like older movies...just check out my westerns...I've reviewed oaters going back to the 1930s.  I've also reviewed some older non-westerns including Robinson Crusoe on Mars (1960s) and a couple of films from the fifties including Rhubarb and Earth Vs. The Flying Saucers.  I do admit I have yet to do any reviews this year so far, though.  I need to get off my stick.

Offline dfmorgan

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 06, 2010, 07:27:52 PM »
Wolfhound

Year: 2006
Director: Nikolai Lebedev
Cast: Aleksandr Bukharov, Oksana Akinshina
Overview: A ferocious epic of swords, medieval kingdoms, and vengeance, Wolfhound brings to life the saga of the last surviving member of a slaughtered tribe - enslaved, left for dead, destined to become the world's most feared warrior. Consumed by a lifelong quest to avenge his family's murder, he is drawn into an all-out war to destroy a vicious monster and save a nation. Based on a bestselling novel, Wolfhound is an extraordinary adventure, filled with thunderous battles, incredible special effects, and fantastic, never-before-seen creatures.

Watched: 6th Mar 2010
My Thoughts: A medieval hack and slash, I was going to say sword and sorcery but there was very little sorcery but plenty of swords hacking and slashing. The front cover reference to Conan The Barbarian is correct but I'm not too sure about the reference to Lord Of The Rings. Also, in my view, the last sentence in the overview is over the top. Overall, though, it was enjoyable but predictable.

My Rating: Enjoyable 3

Dave
Dave

Life? - Who needs a life when you have anime!

My DVD/HD-DVD/Blu-ray Collection
My Library
My CD Collection - sorry I use readerware for that and it doesn't have an online component.

Offline dfmorgan

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 07, 2010, 09:16:40 PM »
Fantastic Mr. Fox

Year: 2009
Director: Wes Anderson
Cast: George Clooney, Meryl Streep, Bill, Murray, Jason Schwartzman
Overview: GEORGE CLOONEY and MERYL STREEP lend their voices to this hilarious and heartwarming animated adventure from director WES ANDERSON. Mr. and Mrs. Fox (CLOONEY and STREEP) live a happy home life with their eccentric son Ash (JASON SCHWARTZMAN) and visiting nephew Kristofferson. That is until Mr. Fox slips into his sneaky, old ways and plots the greatest chicken heist the animal world has ever seen. Based on the beloved, best-selling book by ROALD DAHL (Charlie and the Chocolate Factory), Fantastic Mr. Fox is family fun at its very finest. This edition of Fantastic Mr. Fox contains a Blu-Ray, DVD and a Digital Copy - for you to enjoy this film wherever and whenever you want!

Watched: 7th Mar 2010
My Thoughts: Another animation, stop motion this time. Although I have heard of Roald Dahl I haven't read any of his works so came cold into this story. I found it quite enjoyable with the voices lending a comforting tone to the on-screen action, George Clooney as the charming rogue Mr. Fox and Meryl Streep as his counterpoint Mrs. Fox. The humour seemed to be pitched at just the right level without going over the top and when necessary reigned back in for the sadder moments, although there weren't too many of those.

My Rating: Thoroughly Enjoyable 4

Dave
Dave

My Library
My CD Collection - sorry I use readerware for that and it doesn't have an online component.

Offline dfmorgan

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 20, 2010, 08:47:09 PM »
The Machine Girl

Year: 2008
Director: Noboru Iguchi
Cast: Minase Yashiro, Asami, Kentarô Shimazu, Honoka
Overview: Ami's a beautiful, popular kid for whom the future looks pretty good. But when her high-school brother gets bullied for money, and the guy after the cash just happens to be the vicious son of a crazy yakuza crime boss, you know all hell is about to break loose.
When Ami's bro can't pay enough, violence breaks out, he is murdered and Ami is bound, tortured and has her left arm hacked off as a reminder not to screw with the Yakuza.
But this is one chick who doesn't tkae any shit! Barely alive, she is taken in by a mechanic, who builds her a prosthetic limb with a difference - it's only a fully automatic machine gun!
THE QUEST FOR REVENGE IS ON!

Filled with genius toungue-in-cheek gore moments including human tempuras, nail-gunned faces, finger sushi, exploding torsos and the soon to be legendary 'drill bra', Machine Girl is the movie that Quentin Tarantino always wanted to make! Don't miss the over-the-top cult action hit of the decade!

Watched: 19th Mar 2010
My Thoughts: Well after seeing this endorsement by Jon I had to watch the film
I saw Machine Girl the other night. It's beyond awful! Absolute garbage.  :yucky:

Hmmmmm what can I say. The transfer as mentioned in the thread on the other site isn't that good, loads of jaggies, but it didn't seem too bad after a while, I guess that I probably got used to the bad images. A girl fighting to avenge her brother's murder assisted by the mother of the brother's friend also killed by the same gang. These 2 take on a Yakuza family and gangs. Gore a plenty was the main theme with cut fingers, limbs, holes blown into torsos, decapitations, slicing heads and bodies all spraying blood everywhere plus we also had frying hands and arms. I didn't think it was that bad but it wasn't that good either.

My Rating: A worthy 2

Dave
Dave

My Library

Najemikon

« Reply #37 on: March 20, 2010, 10:03:08 PM »
Although I have heard of Roald Dahl I haven't read any of his works so came cold into this story.

:o

Sir, how dare you fly our flag and make such comments! Be off with you and read The BFG!  :redcard:

:tease:

A girl fighting to avenge her brother's murder assisted by the mother of the brother's friend also killed by the same gang. These 2 take on a Yakuza family and gangs. Gore a plenty was the main theme with cut fingers, limbs, holes blown into torsos, decapitations, slicing heads and bodies all spraying blood everywhere plus we also had frying hands and arms. I didn't think it was that bad but it wasn't that good either.

I wouldn't have minded that so much, but the "wash your hair in your sons blood!" was where it jumped the shark for me. Then later, the drill bra. I mean, wtf?  :-X
« Last Edit: March 20, 2010, 10:05:16 PM by Jon »

snowcat

« Reply #38 on: March 20, 2010, 10:22:20 PM »
Although I have heard of Roald Dahl I haven't read any of his works so came cold into this story.

:o

Sir, how dare you fly our flag and make such comments! Be off with you and read The BFG!  :redcard:

:tease:

:O or even better! The Twits!

....id also recommend one of his adult books "Sometime Never: A Fable for Supermen"

Offline dfmorgan

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 21, 2010, 11:42:11 AM »
I wouldn't have minded that so much, but the "wash your hair in your sons blood!" was where it jumped the shark for me. Then later, the drill bra. I mean, wtf?  :-X

I don't know, I thought the sequence before the hair washing was gross when mum was adding diced carrots and red sauce to the son's head stew :o. At least Ami squeezed the torso of the son to get more gore for dad to wash his hair in :laugh:. :hmmmm: the drill bra - well this was based on a fairly common contrivance in that we have seen other weaponed bras, e.g. pistol bras, in other films but to short circuit the bra in a pool of urine was, words failed me there  :bag: .

But overall whilst still bad it was better than garbage IMHO.

Dave
Dave

My Library

Najemikon

« Reply #40 on: March 21, 2010, 11:59:51 AM »
Yeah, nothing against the drill bra... just, how it was used. :-X

Offline dfmorgan

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 21, 2010, 12:09:10 PM »
Jennifer's Body

Year: 2009
Director: Karyn Kusama
Cast: Megan Fox, Amanda Seyfried, Johnny Simmons
Overview: Sexy temptress Megan Fox is hotter than hell as Jennifer, a gorgeous, seductive cheerleader who takes evil to a whole new level after she's possessed by a sinister demon. Steamy action and gore galore ensue as the male student body succumbs to Jennifer's insatiable appetite for human flesh. Now it's up to her best friend (Amanda Seyfried) to stop Jennifer's reign of terror before it's too late! This edition also contains a Digital Copy of the film, now you can watch Jennifer's Body where you want, when you want!

Watched: 20th Mar 2010
My Thoughts: Interesting, a demonic possession film. A cheerleader (Megan Fox) goes off with a rock band following a fire at the venue. When she returns she is a different person. Her best friend (Amanda Seyfried) has to discover what has happened and then bring it to an end. Whilst there is some gore it is not a gore-fest, unlike the last film I watched.

My Rating: It was alright for a 3

Dave
Dave

My Library

Offline dfmorgan

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 21, 2010, 02:43:44 PM »
Yeah, nothing against the drill bra... just, how it was used. :-X

True enough, drill bra with plenty of blood sprayed when used but Ami didn't have a sign of damage from it when they parted.

Dave
Dave

My Library

Offline dfmorgan

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 21, 2010, 08:52:34 PM »
Valkyrie

Year: 2008
Director: Bryan Singer
Cast: Tom Cruise, Kenneth Branagh, Bill Nighy, Tom Wilkinson
Overview: "Tom Cruise gives one of the best performances of his career" (Jeffrey Lyons, NBC/Reel Talk) in this action-packed film from the director of The Usual Suspects and X-Men. Based on the incredible true story of Colonel Claus von Stauffenberg (Cruise) and his ingenious assassination plot targeting Adolf HItler, this thrilling adventure re-enacts the daring operation to eliminate one of the most evil tyrants the world has ever seen. Co-starring Kenneth Branagh, Bill Nighy, Tom Wilkinson, Terence Stamp and Eddie Izzard, Valkyrie delivers gripping suspense and pulse-pounding excitement from start to finish!

Watched: 21st Mar 2010
My Thoughts: A very good film. I was aware of the events that this film covered with the plot to assassinate Adolf Hitler towards the end of WWII, not fully conversant though just aware. I thought that in general the cast played their roles well and didn't really have any problems with them except for Bill Nighy, whenever I see him all I can see is Billy Mack and the song "Christmas Is All Around" from Love Actually even though I have many other films featuring Bill Nighy. I did wonder how close to the events that this film would go but I see from other reviews and features that they generally stayed close to what actually happened.

My Rating: A 4 from me here

Dave
Dave

My Library

filmincarnate

« Reply #44 on: March 21, 2010, 09:11:46 PM »
I  had really mixed feelings about Valkyrie. I thought it was well enough made but it just did not feel authentic to me at all. A huge issue being the Germans not only not speaking German, but some even having British accents  :suicide:

Also, I don't think Tom Cruise was right for his part at all. He just looks to damn smug in it and really stood out amongst everyone else.

It had its moments though, I thought the opening was great. It looked gorgeous for the most part (partly due to seeing it on blu-ray I imagine) and Singer can create suspense like very few other filmmakers working today.

Had some more attention been paid to the authenticity of everything and perhaps some different casting decisions been made than I feel this could've been one of the better WWII/Nazi films of recent times. As it is, it just feels like a sorely missed opportunity.