Author Topic: Weekend Movie Marathon: Romantic Comedies  (Read 18318 times)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Re: Weekend Movie Marathon: Romantic Comedies
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2010, 07:29:21 PM »

Title: Bewitched
Year: 2005
Director: Nora Ephron
Rating: PG-13
Length: 102 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 1.85:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital 5.1, French: Dolby Digital 5.1, Commentary: Dolby Digital Surround
Subtitles: English, French, Trivia

Stars:
Nicole Kidman as Isabel Bigelow/Samantha
Will Ferrell as Jack Wyatt/Darrin
Shirley MacLaine as Iris Smythson/Endora
Michael Caine as Nigel Bigelow
Jason Schwartzman as Ritchie

Plot:
Oscar®-winner Nicole Kidman (Best Actress in a leading role, The Hours, 2002) and wickedly funny Will Ferrell star as actors playing Darrin and Samantha on a remake of the television show "Bewitched" in this cleverly crafty comedy from director Nora Ephron (Sleepless in Seattle, You've Got Mail).

Egomaniacal star Jack Wyatt (Ferrell) casts unknown Isabel (Kidman) as his co-star in order to monopolize the limelight and regain his top spot on Hollywood's A-list. When Isabel, a real witch, discovers Jack's self-centered scheme, she conjures a sidesplitting spell the mere mortal will never forget!

Extras:
Scene Access
Audio Commentary
Trailers
Deleted Scenes
Featurettes
Interactive Games
Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
This is like the 4th time I watched this movie since I bought it. I don't know why I enjoy this one so much... but I do think Nicole Kidman did a really good job in it. Then again at the same time... even though I usually enjoy his work... I wasn't too impressed with Will Ferrell. I think part of my had a problem with the fact that it wasn't really a movie made from the series as most of these movies are. But a movie about remaking the series. I think I would have personally preferred a straight movie version of the series. Even with that said... I obviously still enjoyed this movie quite a bit... even if I am not 100% sure why. I guess it is just fun to watch... no more and no less.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5

Note to Jimmy: This is a recycled review.. but with more info... you can just switch the links for this one.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2010, 03:56:20 PM »

Title: Blast from the Past
Year: 1999
Director: Hugh Wilson
Length: 112 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 2.35:1, Pan & Scan 1.33:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital 5.1, English: Dolby Digital Surround
Subtitles: English

Stars:
Brendan Fraser as Adam
Alicia Silverstone as Eve
Christopher Walken as Calvin
Sissy Spacek as Helen
Dave Foley as Troy

Plot:
Meet Adam Webber (Brendan Fraser, The Mummy, George of the Jungle), born and raised in a bomb shelter with his mad scientist father (Christopher Walken, Pulp Fiction) and his sherry swilling mother (Sissy Spacek, JFK). Adam's simple childhood has been filled with Perry Como records, The Honeymooners re-runs and good old-fashioned family values. Now, 35 years later, Adam is about to emerge into a bewildering modern world in search of supplies and a simple girl from Pasadena. Instead, Adam meets Eve (Alicia Silverstone, Clueless) a modern LA woman, jaded about life and burned by love. The result is "an engaging romantic comedy that's charming, funny and hip!"

Extras:
Scene Access
Trailers
Production Notes
Interactive Games
DVD-ROM Content
Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
Another one I enjoyed quite a bit. It is a lot of fun watching the character of Adam experiencing the world for the first time at 35. An interesting... and at times... funny story. I liked both Brendan Fraser and Alicia Silverstone in this one. I am not what you would consider a huge fan of Alicia Silverstone... but I really liked her in this movie. There was just something about her in it. She was spot on the character in this one. If you never checked out Blast from the Past... I definitely recommend it.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2010, 05:52:51 PM »

Title: The Wedding Singer
Year: 1998
Director: Frank Coraci
Length: 97 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 1.85:1, Pan & Scan 1.33:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital 5.1, French: Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English, French, Spanish

Stars:
Adam Sandler as Robbie
Drew Barrymore as Julia
Christine Taylor as Holly
Allen Covert as Sammy
Matthew Glave as Glenn

Plot:
You are cordially invited to fall in love with one of the funniest romantic comedies of the year! It's 1985 and Robbie Hart (Adam Sandler, Happy Gilmore, Billy Madison) is the ultimate master of ceremonies... until he is left at the altar at his own wedding. Devastated, he becomes a newlywed's worst nightmare — an entertainer who can do nothing but destroy other people's weddings. It's not until he meets a warm-hearted waitress named Julia (Drew Barrymore, Scream), that he starts to pick up the pieces of his heart. The only problem is Julia's about to have a wedding of her own and unless Robbie can pull off the performance of a lifetime, the girl of his dreams will be gone forever.

From big hair to Billy Idol (as himself), The Wedding Singer features a hilarious cast and a platinum soundtrack including 80's hits from CULTURE CLUB, DAVID BOWIE and THE POLICE.

Extras:
Scene Access
Gallery
Production Notes
Interactive Games
Closed Captioned
Karaoke Bar

My Thoughts:
OK... what was I thinking watching this movie today? Not that this is a bad movie per say... because it definitely does have some laughs in it. And Drew Barrymore looked cute as can be in this one. But there is just way too much music for my taste in this one. Who would have guessed with a title like The Wedding Singer... right?  So yes... that was a big damper for me. I did get a kick out of all the '80s references and style/memorabilia. I was a teen back then... so there was a lots of nostalgic qualities for me here.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2010, 06:35:14 PM »
Well... that is 10 movies (3 Thurs. - 3 Fri. - 2 Sat. - 2 Sun.) for this marathon. So I think I will give the movies a break and end it here so I can concentrate on the Valentine TV Episodes today.  :thumbup:
Pete

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2010, 07:18:47 PM »
I did get a kick out of all the '80s references and style/memorabilia. I was a teen back then... so there was a lots of nostalgic qualities for me here.
It's also the reason why I like it also, but for me the music isn't a problem it's make the movie even more enjoyable :tease:

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2010, 05:00:02 AM »
I did get a kick out of all the '80s references and style/memorabilia. I was a teen back then... so there was a lots of nostalgic qualities for me here.
It's also the reason why I like it also, but for me the music isn't a problem it's make the movie even more enjoyable :tease:

I agree with Jimmy.  The movie just wouldn't have worked as well without the music.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2010, 10:52:31 AM »
Oh I am sure it wouldn't have worked without the music. I wasn't trying to say that. I just am not a fan of music (any music).
Pete

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2010, 09:11:13 AM »
Oh I am sure it wouldn't have worked without the music. I wasn't trying to say that. I just am not a fan of music (any music).
Still baffling, after all this time I know this :laugh: