Author Topic: VLC Media Player and Subtitle Files  (Read 2746 times)

Offline goodguy

• Heavy Poster
  • Colleen West never liked the first light of day.
    • View Profile
VLC Media Player and Subtitle Files
« on: December 17, 2009, 05:55:39 PM »
I'm using VLC Media Player 1.0.2 and want to use a subtitle file while playing a certain title from a regular DVD. Sometimes it works somtimes it doesn't and I can't figure out why. Any ideas?

More info:
- When using the subtitle file together with another media file it always works.
- If I just open a list of VTS*.VOB files instead of the DVD it works too, but there is a small (but annoying) hickup when VLC switches to the next VOB.
- I tried to open the DVD both with and without menus (dvd:, dvdsimple:), but this doesn't seem to have any effect. As I said above, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't - regardless of opening mode.
- If I got the subtitles working and navigate inside the title (e.g. chapter jump), the subtitles get lost.
Matthias

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
Re: VLC Media Player and Subtitle Files
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2009, 07:36:49 PM »
Sorry, I only use subtitle files in combo with DivX avis and then they have to have the same name 'cept for the file extension.
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

Critter

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2009, 11:51:58 PM »
That's really strange, I watch anytime I watch something on computer I always use VLC and never have problems with subtitles. I always just go to Video -> Subtitles track and then choose what settings I want.

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2009, 12:23:05 AM »
I think Mathias talk about fan created subtitles track and not the one on the dvd :shrug:

Have you try to reconstruct the dvd with "Convert X to DVD"? you can add subtitle track with it and you don't need to rip the result since it will create the complete dvd on your computer. It cost nothing to try

Critter

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2009, 12:26:42 AM »
I think Mathias talk about fan created subtitles track and not the one on the dvd

All of what I watch on VLC is usually downloaded anime from Japan that is either not on DVD in Australia yet, or I just want to try it out before buying. These anime almost always have fan subs and they have always worked for me using the same setting as normal subs. The ones Matthias are talking about though sound different and I don't really understand it.

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2009, 12:37:07 AM »
:-[

:surrender:

I think he talk about a subtitle track only download without the film. But I'm not 100% sure of that :laugh:
« Last Edit: December 18, 2009, 12:39:42 AM by Jimmy »

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2009, 05:32:48 AM »
I only use VLC for videos that I don't need subtitles for :bag:

snowcat

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2009, 10:22:11 AM »
Hmm, are both the video and the subtitle track name the same thing?

for example

whatevervideo.vob

whatevervideo.srt

When VLC can see two files like that it automatically opens them together.

or try opening VLC going to Advanced Open File: Pick the video from the drop down list and click use a subtitle track. you then get the option to open the subtitles track.

finally if none of those work check that you have track 1 of subtitles selected and not disabled. good luck.

Offline goodguy

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2009, 10:43:33 AM »
Since you are all guessing what I'm trying to do, here is some background:

I have a regular DVD that has French subtitles only.
I ripped those subtitles with SubRip into an SRT file (that's a text-based format created via OCR).
I used Google Translation to translate the French subtitles into English ones.
After fixing some formatting and translation problems, I now have a fine English subtitle file.
I want to watch DVD with my new subtitle file.

Asides from that, I'm not very happy with the video quality of VLC either. The DVD has interlaced video and VLC's deinterlacers aren't worth sh*t. Plus, when using them, even the regular subtitles on the DVD start to flicker.

@Emma:
As I said, using the subtitles with the VOBs (multiple, since it is a DVD) via Advanced Open File works, but has other undesirable side effects. Plus, the main VTS actually contains multiple titles, which makes the matter even more difficult. I want to use the Open Subtitle File command while playing a title from the DVD. VLC's behavior is totally random; sometimes it shows the subtitles, sometimes it doesn't, sometimes it shows them only for a while, but "loses" them after a while.

@Jimmy:
What do you mean with "Convert X to DVD"? The Convert function of VLC or a separate program?
I haven't tried the VLC converter yet, because if it is unable to play the DVD with my subtitles, I doubt the conversion will suddenly work.
Matthias

snowcat

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2009, 10:51:11 AM »
Hmm, may I recommend that you use "Media Player Classic" http://mpc-hc.sourceforge.net/

it uses less processing speed then VLC anyway, but I have not had trouble getting English subtitles on to it to watch some Spanish films

Offline goodguy

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2009, 03:07:35 PM »
Hmm, may I recommend that you use "Media Player Classic" http://mpc-hc.sourceforge.net/

Doh! I knew I had used something other than VLC in the past. Excellent suggestion, thanks.  :thanks:
Matthias

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2009, 06:09:53 PM »
@Jimmy:
What do you mean with "Convert X to DVD"? The Convert function of VLC or a separate program?
I haven't tried the VLC converter yet, because if it is unable to play the DVD with my subtitles, I doubt the conversion will suddenly work.
It's a different sofware that you can use to create a dvd. It's more work but if you extract the movie from your dvd and convert it as an avi file with a program like Free DVD Ripper with ConvertXtoDVD you will be able to add your subtitle track.

When your track is add to the project you can start your dvd project, but don't burn it when it's over. You will have a folder name "whatevernameyougivetheproject" in the ConvertxtoDVD folder in the my document area on your disc, you can watch this with any dvd reader you have on your computer.

I know it's a little bit of overkill just for this, maybe a different program to watch would be better :hmmmm:

Offline goodguy

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2009, 07:11:47 PM »
Thanks, Jimmy.

In the end, I actually did went down the re-authoring route. The good old (and free) IfoEdit/VobEdit combo does the demux/remux job very well without the need for any intermediate formats that may affect the quality. I just hadn't it used in a long while and was a bit rusty.
Matthias