Author Topic: December Marathons - DISCUSSION AND REVIEW THREAD  (Read 105867 times)

snowcat

Re: December Marathons - DISCUSSION AND REVIEW THREAD
« Reply #165 on: December 22, 2009, 12:03:18 AM »
Lol... I bought Melinda and Melinda partly because of Allen and partly because of Will Ferrel XD

But I agree... Z was great  :laugh:

Offline goodguy

• Heavy Poster
  • Colleen West never liked the first light of day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: December 22, 2009, 12:20:01 AM »
I have seen "Everyone Says I Love You", ... The first I had bought because of Drew Barrymore.

Surely you remember that it was a musical? And Barrymore was the only one who had her songs dubbed by someone else, if I recall correctly. :laugh:
Matthias

snowcat

« Reply #167 on: December 22, 2009, 12:22:15 AM »
 ;) actually Goldie Hawn sang to well for someone just breaking in to song and Drew Barrymore convinced Allen that she couldn't sing :p

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
« Reply #168 on: December 22, 2009, 12:27:40 AM »
I have seen "Everyone Says I Love You", ... The first I had bought because of Drew Barrymore.

Surely you remember that it was a musical? And Barrymore was the only one who had her songs dubbed by someone else, if I recall correctly. :laugh:

Yes I remember. Also I remember that Natalie Portman and Lukas Haas was in it. I also knew that about Drew Barrymore. The reason for that was, that she did convince Woody Allen that she could not sing at all. And he did let her off the hook even though he wanted the actors to sound amateurish on purpose. Strangely enough Drew Barrymore did sing in "Music and Lyrics" if I remember correctly. And off-key "99 Luftballons" in Wedding Singer.

snowcat

« Reply #169 on: December 22, 2009, 12:30:36 AM »
She did sing in Music and Lyrics, haha.... Oh boy, Hugh Grant made me laugh in that XD that song "Pop goes my heart" its brilliant.

..And I believe she did sing in the Wedding Singer... although I only briefly remember.... the only thing I really remember about that film is Adam Sandler singing a Boy George song and that "Somebody kill me please" song.

richierich

« Reply #170 on: December 22, 2009, 02:00:28 AM »

Title: Things We Lost in the Fire

Runtime:118
Certificate:R
Year:2007
Genres:Drama

Plot:Academy Award® winners Halle Berry* and Benicio Del Toro** "give two of the year's most brilliant performances"†† in the critically acclaimed drama Things We Lost in the Fire. Audrey (Berry) is reeling after a terrible loss, and impulsively invites a troubled life-long friend Jerry (Del Toro) to stay with her and her two children. With each other's help, Audrey and Jerry discover hope and happiness in their new lives. Directed by Oscar® nominee Susanne Bier (After the Wedding), produced by Academy Award® winner Sam Mendes†, and also starring Golden Globe® winner David Duchovny (The X Files), Things We Lost in the Fire is a "truly moving and emotionally honest"†† film.
My Review:
Not sure why this film attracted me so much, perhaps the mood I am in, or maybe such a great performance from love him or hate him actor Benicio Del Toro. His portrayal of a heroin addict, friendless bar one, hated initially by the wife (halle berry) until his redeeming features and kind heart start showing through, is oscar like in its domination of the screen.
Although the pace is somewhat slow, and the length nearly 2 hours, I enjoyed this moving film and totally got in to all of the emotions, heartbreaks, fears and despairs. I have not a great experience with drugs or addicts, but this film seems to genuinely portray such a life accurately, the usual depressive state a user feels, and maybe hope for anyone either going through rehab or trying to find reasons to attempt to get clean.
But the film offers much more than this, it is uplifting and motivating, the script is exquisite, the acting of an extremely high standard once Duchovny disappears from the set, the direction is superbly and sympathetically handled by Susanne Bier, and the camerawork truly makes you feel part of the unfolding drama.
One of the best movies I have seen this year, highly recommended.
My Rating
 :thumbup:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: December 22, 2009, 01:53:08 PM »

Title: Say It Isn't So
Year: 2001
Director: J. B. Rogers
Rating: FSK-12
Length: 92 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 1.85
Audio: German: Dolby Digital 5.1, English: Dolby Digital 5.1, Commentary: Dolby Digital Stereo
Subtitles: English, German

Stars:
Chris Klein
Heather Graham
Orlando Jones
Sally Field
Richard Jenkins

Plot:
Boy meets girl. Boy loves girl. Boy discovers she may be his sister. (Boy, this could be trouble.) To make matters worse, by the time he discovers 'it isn't so', he has precious little time to stop the woman of his dreams from marrying another man. It's shameless romantic comedy at its finest from the twisted minds behind There's Something About Mary and Me, Myself & Irene!

Awards:
Taurus Award2002NominatedBest Overall Stunt by a ManGilbert B. Combs, Jacob Rupp
World Stunt Awards2002NominatedBest Overall Stunt by a ManGilbert B. Combs, Jacob Rupp

Extras:
Commentary
Deleted Scenes
Featurettes
Scene Access
Trailers

My Thoughts:
I haven't seen this one since I first got it. I didn't like it all that much then. I thought I give it another chance, but the movie is really boring and full of bad jokes.

Rating:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: December 22, 2009, 06:39:44 PM »

Title: Analyze This
Year: 1998
Director: Harold Ramis
Rating: FSK-12
Length: 99 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 1.78, Pan & Scan 1.33:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital 5.1, German: Dolby Digital 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital 5.1, Commentary: Dolby Digital Stereo
Subtitles: Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, English, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hebrew, Hungarian, Icelandic, Italian, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese, Spanish, Swedish, Turkish

Stars:
Robert De Niro
Billy Crystal
Lisa Kudrow
Chazz Palminteri
Kresimir Novakovic

Plot:
Robert DeNiro and Billy Crystal team with Lisa Kudrow, Chaz Palminteri and director/co-writer Harold Ramis to make you a comedy offer you can't refuse in this laugh-out-loud mob hit. De Niro, deftly spoofing the wiseguy roles that have been a staple of his estimable career, plays powerful New York crime family racketeer Paul Vitti. Crystal, always one joke ahead of sleeping with the fishes, is shrink Ben Sobel, who has just days to resolve Vitti's emotional crisis and turn into a happy, well-adjusted gangster. Yes, Sobel is a family pychiatrist.But surely this isn't the kind of family he had in mind.

Awards:
American Cinema Editors Awards2000NominatedBest Edited Feature Film – Comedy or MusicalChristopher Tellefsen
ASCAP Awards2000WonTop Box Office FilmsHoward Shore
Blockbuster Entertainment Awards2000WonFavorite Comedy TeamRobert De Niro, Billy Crystal
Blockbuster Entertainment Awards2000WonFavorite Supporting Actress - ComedyLisa Kudrow
Golden Globe1999NominatedActor in a Leading Role - Musical or ComedyRobert De Niro
Golden Globe1999NominatedPicture - Musical or ComedyJane Rosenthal, Paula Weinstein
Young Artist Awards2000NominatedBest Performance in a Feature Film – Supporting Young ActorKyle Sabihy

Extras:
Commentary
Outtakes
Scene Access

My Thoughts:
I found this movie rather boring. It had its moments, but overall nothing I will be dying to see again. I thought that I had never seen this movie before, but a lot of it was familiar so I think I must have caught parts of it on TV in the past.

Rating:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: December 23, 2009, 11:31:10 PM »

Title: Garden State
Year: 2004
Director: Zach Braff
Rating: 14A
Length: 102 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 2.35
Audio: English: Dolby Digital 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital Surround, Commentary: Dolby Digital Surround, Commentary: Dolby Digital Surround
Subtitles: English, French, Spanish

Stars:
Zach Braff
Natalie Portman
Ian Holm
Peter Sarsgaard
Jim Parsons

Plot:
Twentysomthing, emotionally detatched Andrew Largeman (Braff) returns home to New Jersy after nine long years. Now, as he tries to re-connect with his past, a series of chance encounters with Sam, (Natalie Portman) – a free-spirited girl who's everything he isn't – sets the stage for a fateful, mind blowing take on what his future might hold. Co-Starring Peter Sarsgaard, Ian Holm, and Method Man, GARDEN STATE is “hilarious” (ROLLING STONE).

Awards:
Empire Magazine Awards2005NominatedBest NewcomerZach Braff
Grammy Awards2005WonBest Compilation Soundtrack Album for a Motion Picture, Television or Other Visual MediaZach Braff (compilation producer)
Independent Spirit Awards2005WonBest First FeatureZach Braff; Pamela Abdy; Gary Gilbert; Dan Halsted; Richard Klubeck
Independent Spirit Awards2005NominatedBest First ScreenplayZach Braff
MTV Movie Awards2005NominatedBest Female PerformanceNatalie Portman
MTV Movie Awards2005NominatedBest KissNatalie Portman, Zach Braff
MTV Movie Awards2005NominatedBreakthrough Male PerformanceZach Braff
Online Film Critics Society Awards2005WonBest Breakthrough FilmmakerZach Braff
Online Film Critics Society Awards2005NominatedBest Picture
Satellite Awards2005NominatedBest Actor in a Supporting Role – Comedy or MusicalPeter Sarsgaard
Satellite Awards2005NominatedBest Actress – Comedy or MusicalNatalie Portman
Teen Choice Awards2005NominatedChoice Movie Actor: DramaZach Braff
Teen Choice Awards2005NominatedChoice Movie Actress: DramaNatalie Portman
Teen Choice Awards2005NominatedChoice Movie Blush SceneZach Braff
Teen Choice Awards2005NominatedChoice Movie Breakout Performance - MaleZach Braff
Teen Choice Awards2005NominatedChoice Movie LiarNatalie Portman
Teen Choice Awards2005NominatedChoice Movie LiplockNatalie Portman, Zach Braff
Teen Choice Awards2005NominatedChoice Movie Love SceneZach Braff, Natalie Portman
Teen Choice Awards2005NominatedChoice Movie: Drama
Writers Guild of America Awards2005NominatedBest Original ScreenplayZach Braff
Young Artist Awards2005NominatedBest Family Feature Film – Drama

Extras:
Closed Captioned
Commentary
Deleted Scenes
Featurettes
Outtakes
Scene Access
Trailers

My Thoughts:
This movie is written, directed and stars Zach Braff, the guy from Scrubs. I never followed Scrubs, so I mainly know him from this movie. He did a good job here as a first-time director. I bought this movie because of Natalie Portman. She did a great job here.
I didn't know him the last time I watched this movie, but "Sheldon" is a small part in it :)

Rating:

snowcat

« Reply #174 on: December 24, 2009, 10:01:14 AM »
I really liked Garden State I thought it had a nice soundtrack, and was just generally nice, its one of those films that's quite satisfying.... even though its quite strange in places.

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: December 24, 2009, 01:49:33 PM »

Title: Finding Nemo
Year: 2003
Director: Andrew Stanton
Rating: FSK-0
Length: 96 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 1.78
Audio: English: Dolby Digital Surround EX, German: Dolby Digital Surround EX, German: DTS ES (Matrixed), Commentary: Dolby Digital Stereo
Subtitles: Commentary, English, French, German, Italian, Spanish, Turkish

Stars:
Englische Stimmen
Albert Brooks
Ellen DeGeneres
Alexander Gould
Willem Dafoe
Brad Garrett

Plot:
When Nemo, a young clownfish, is unexpectedly carried far from home, his overprotective father, Marlin (Albert Brooks), and Dory (Ellen DeGeneres), a friendly but forgetful regal blue tang fish, embark on an epic journey that leads to encounters with vegetarian sharks, surfer dude turtles, hypnotic jellyfish and hungry seagulls!

Awards:
Academy Award2003WonBest Animated Feature FilmAndrew Stanton
Academy Award2003NominatedBest Music, Original ScoreThomas Newman
Academy Award2003NominatedBest Sound EditingGary Rydstrom, Michael Silvers
Academy Award2003NominatedBest Writing, Original ScreenplayAndrew Stanton, Bob Peterson, David Reynolds (Screenplay); Andrew Stanton (Story)
American Cinema Editors Awards2004NominatedBest Edited Feature Film – Comedy or MusicalDavid Ian Salter, Lee Unkrich
American Film Institute Awards2003WonMovie of the Year
Annie Awards2003WonBest Animated FeaturePixar Animation Studios
Annie Awards2003NominatedIndividual Achievment - Animated EffectsJustin Ritter
Annie Awards2003WonIndividual Achievment - Animated EffectsMartin Nguyen
Annie Awards2003NominatedIndividual Achievment - Character AnimationDave DeVan
Annie Awards2003WonIndividual Achievment - Character AnimationDoug Sweetland
Annie Awards2003NominatedIndividual Achievment - Character AnimationGini Santos
Annie Awards2003WonIndividual Achievment - Character Design in an Animated Feature ProductionRicky Nierva
Annie Awards2003WonIndividual Achievment - Directing in an Animated Feature ProductionAndrew Stanton, Lee Unkrich
Annie Awards2003WonIndividual Achievment - Music in an Animated Feature ProductionThomas Newman
Annie Awards2003WonIndividual Achievment - Production Design in an Animated Feature ProductionRalph Eggleston
Annie Awards2003WonIndividual Achievment - Voice Acting in an Animated Feature ProductionEllen DeGeneres as the voice of Dory
Annie Awards2003WonIndividual Achievment - Writing in an Animated Feature ProductionAndrew Stanton, Bob Peterson, Dave Reynolds
BAFTA2003NominatedScreenplay (Original)Andrew Stanton, Bob Peterson, David Reynolds
BMI Film & TV Music Awards2004WonBMI Film Music AwardThomas Newman
Broadcast Film Critics Association Awards2004WonBest Animated Film
Broadcast Film Critics Association Awards2004NominatedBest Picture
European Film Awards2003NominatedEuropean Film Academy Non-European Film - Prix Screen International
Golden Globe2003NominatedPicture - Musical or ComedyGraham Walters
Hugo Award2004NominatedDramatic Presentation, Long Form
MTV Movie Awards2004NominatedBest Comedic PerformanceEllen DeGeneres
MTV Movie Awards2004NominatedBest Movie
Online Film Critics Society Awards2004WonBest Animated Feature
Satellite Awards2004NominatedBest Motion Picture – Animated or Mixed Media
Satellite Awards2004NominatedBest Original ScoreThomas Newman
Saturn2003WonBest Animated Film
Saturn2003NominatedBest DVD Special Edition Release
Saturn2003NominatedBest MusicThomas Newman
Saturn2003WonBest Supporting ActressEllen DeGeneres
Saturn2003NominatedBest WritingAndrew Stanton, Bob Peterson, David Reynolds
Visual Effects Society Awards2004WonOutstanding Character Animation in an Animated Motion PictureAndrew Gordon, Brett Coderre (For "Speaking Whale")
Visual Effects Society Awards2004NominatedOutstanding Character Animation in an Animated Motion PictureDavid DeVan, Gini Santos (For "Inside the Whale")
Young Artist Awards2004WonBest Family Feature Film – Animation

Extras:
Commentary
Deleted Scenes
Featurettes
Interactive Game
Kurzfilm "Knick Knack"
Music Videos
Photo Gallery
Scene Access
THX certified
Trailers
Virtuelles Aquarium

My Thoughts:
A great movie. The animation is wonderful. Dory is the most fun character in this movie. Too bad that I didn't watch it in the theatre.

Rating:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: December 24, 2009, 01:51:25 PM »
I have finished my December marathon list :)

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: December 24, 2009, 07:43:56 PM »
 :thumbup:

Mine is almost done also, I keep a christmas movie to watch at midnight and it will be over.

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: November 19, 2012, 07:12:48 AM »

Title : Day of the Dead (1985)
I just watch it again today and for the first time I've realized something... The soldiers aren't the bad guys at all, but the scientists :-[

It took me 25 years to realized that....

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: November 19, 2012, 06:02:24 PM »
I just watch it again today and for the first time I've realized something... The soldiers aren't the bad guys at all, but the scientists :-[

It took me 25 years to realized that....
In my opinion they both are bad guys. Although, there is method to what the doctor is doing, at least he realizes that it is impossible to kill all zombies...

(click to show/hide)

But you could also say Bub is the hero of the movie ;D