Author Topic: December Marathons - DISCUSSION AND REVIEW THREAD  (Read 105866 times)

richierich

Re: December Marathons - DISCUSSION AND REVIEW THREAD
« Reply #150 on: December 21, 2009, 06:27:25 PM »
I liked the Hitchhikers book but I must admit I was underwhelmed by this film. I did however love Alan Rickman's voice as the big depressed robot  :clap:

Yes, I should have put that in my review, the fed-up voice of the robot was funny

Critter

« Reply #151 on: December 21, 2009, 10:41:31 PM »
I love the book. In fact, the first two or three. Somehow I got stuck at some point in the third or fourth one and haven't continued it since. I do want to finish it, just got to put up the energy to get it going.

I only ever read the first one but want to read more of them. I understand this though Ive done it with a few series myself where I have loved it, then suddenly stopped mid series and not picked it up again. A series really has to stay compelling all the way through for me to read them.

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
« Reply #152 on: December 21, 2009, 10:58:54 PM »
     Whatever Works (2009/United States)
IMDb | Wikipedia

Sony Pictures Home Entertainment (United States)
Director:Woody Allen, Big Film Design
Writing:Woody Allen (Writer), Big Film Design)
Length:92 min.
Video:Widescreen 1.78
Audio:English: Dolby TrueHD 5.1
Subtitles:English

Stars:
Larry David as Boris
Boris' Friends
* Adam Brooks
* Lyle Kanouse
* Michael McKean

Clifford Lee Dickson as Boy on Street

Plot:
Meet New Yorker Boris Yellnikoff (comedy great Larry David): a sarcastic, bitter and brilliant misanthrope who almost won the Nobel Prize. Boris, admittedly, is not a likeable guy. That is, until he meets Melody St. Ann Celestine (Evan Rachel Wood), a charmingly naïve runaway who finds shelter on his doorstep. As he lets her into his home and his heart, he discovers that in this cruel world sometimes it's worthwhile to get a little happiness doing Whatever Works. Director-writer Woody Allen returns to his comedy roots in this poignant and wildly hilarious romp that Gene Shalit of "The Today Show' calls "Colossally funny!"

Extras:
  • BD-Live
  • Scene Access

My Thoughts:
It was my turn to select a movie to watch in the theatre. I have chosen this one not because it is a Woody Allen movie, but because I like both the stars and I was curious. I enjoy watching Larry David on Curb Your Enthusiasm and I could really imagine him working in a Woody Allen picture. I enjoyed Evan Rachel Wood's work since I first saw her on the series "Once and Again". She was only about 11 at the time, but she already was a great actress. Much better than most child stars. The most recent movie I saw with her was "The Wrestler".
"Whatever Works" is a really funny movie and both the stars did not disappoint. They were terrific. This movie was also well received with the group I dragged into it.

Rating:
« Last Edit: December 18, 2010, 09:08:01 PM by Tom »

snowcat

« Reply #153 on: December 21, 2009, 11:24:16 PM »
I like Whatever Works too, Im a big fan of Woody Allen. I imported this film, I was very excited about watching it. I still feel Annie Hall is his favourite film though :p

Offline goodguy

• Heavy Poster
  • Colleen West never liked the first light of day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: December 21, 2009, 11:25:11 PM »
Personally, I like Woody Allen's movies much better since he stopped acting in them. Whatever Works is on my wishlist mostly because Evan Rachel Wood supposedly gives a performance quite different from her previous ones. BTW, if you like her, I can also recommend Across the Universe, Thirteen and Down in the Valley (in that order).
Matthias

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: December 21, 2009, 11:27:01 PM »
I personally never could get along with the Woody Allen movies... something about him just bugged me.  :bag:
Pete

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: December 21, 2009, 11:36:06 PM »
BTW, if you like her, I can also recommend Across the Universe, Thirteen and Down in the Valley (in that order).

I have Across the Universe but I didn't really enjoy it. Maybe I will have to give it another chance someday. Thirteen I have bought a few years ago because of Evan Rachel Wood, but I never came around to watch it for some reason.

snowcat

« Reply #157 on: December 21, 2009, 11:37:01 PM »
Ill have to take a look at those films Matthias thanks!

Pete, I think alot of people are annoyed by the way he talks... he talks alot and very fast, sometimes it seems irrelevant, he sound whiny.

Some of my favourite quotes are in Annie Hall... of course one is courtesy of Groucho Marx "I would never want to belong to any club that would have someone like me for a member."

...Of course coupled with all those things I said about him above, and this just makes me laugh every time I watch the film.

"The... the other important joke, for me, is one that's usually attributed to Groucho Marx; but, I think it appears originally in Freud's "Wit and Its Relation to the Unconscious," and it goes like this - I'm paraphrasing - um, "I would never want to belong to any club that would have someone like me for a member." That's the key joke of my adult life, in terms of my relationships with women. "

Ive shown a few people Annie Hall, they either get it or don't get it... I think its the type of film you either love or hate.

Offline goodguy

• Heavy Poster
  • Colleen West never liked the first light of day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: December 21, 2009, 11:45:00 PM »
Ill have to take a look at those films Matthias thanks!

For Across the Universe, I did post a review here once.
Matthias

Critter

« Reply #159 on: December 21, 2009, 11:49:26 PM »
Ive shown a few people Annie Hall, they either get it or don't get it... I think its the type of film you either love or hate.

That's interesting Emma, I've seen Annie Hall and neither loved nor hated it. While I didn't think it was anything amazing I also enjoyed it somewhat.

snowcat

« Reply #160 on: December 21, 2009, 11:52:32 PM »
I think Annie Hall is the type of film that you can relate to if you have ever been in a relationship that reflects the one Alvy is in, sadly it does infact reflect my relationship with my ex pretty much identically... although Im more Alvie and hes more Annie, haha.

I honestly think its like a more realistic Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless mind... It is one of my all time favourite films

Critter

« Reply #161 on: December 21, 2009, 11:55:33 PM »
I think Annie Hall is the type of film that you can relate to if you have ever been in a relationship that reflects the one Alvy

Is that not the case with every single film though? I think a person can relate to any film or TV show better if their situation reflects that or is similar too that of the plot.

snowcat

« Reply #162 on: December 21, 2009, 11:58:01 PM »
Not necessarily.... films are generally written to focus on the widest audience possible, Woody Allen is said to have written Annie Hall as an autobiographical story of his relationship with Diane Keaton, and so it was more of him trying to tell his story, then a story.

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: December 22, 2009, 12:00:45 AM »
I haven't seen many Woody Allen movies. I am not particurarly a fan of him. I have seen "Everyone Says I Love You", "Sleeper", "Mighty Aphrodite" and "Melinda and Melinda". The first I had bought because of Drew Barrymore. I don't remember much about the film. I will have to revisit it again someday. "Sleeper" sounded interesting but did disappoint me. I bought "Mighty Aphrodite" because of Mira Sorvino. But the movie was just okay. And "Melinda and Melinda" is an average comedy I enjoyed somewhat.
As I said I did not choose "Whatever Works" because of Allen, but because of its stars. And I am glad I did.
My favorite acting role of Woody Allen is "Antz". He was perfect as Z  :laugh:

Critter

« Reply #164 on: December 22, 2009, 12:01:25 AM »
Not necessarily.... films are generally written to focus on the widest audience possible, Woody Allen is said to have written Annie Hall as an autobiographical story of his relationship with Diane Keaton, and so it was more of him trying to tell his story, then a story.

I know that many films are aimed at a wide audience, all I'm saying is the reception context will always obviously be different for a person if they have a similar story to a film and can relate to it.