Author Topic: Xena: Warrior Princess Marathon  (Read 11118 times)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Xena: Warrior Princess Marathon
« on: November 18, 2009, 11:30:06 PM »

In a time of ancient gods, ruthless warlords and capricious kings, a land in turmoil cried out for a hero. She was Xena, a mighty Warrior Princess forged in the heat of battle.

This is a series that I enjoyed back in the day when it aired (in syndication). I mean come on. Lots of action. A strong woman (and I love a strong woman!). And a cute sidekick... what more can you ask for? I ended up getting my mother hooked on the series as well at the time. So when they were released on DVD I started ordering her the season sets for her birthday, Christmas and Mother's Day till she had the entire series. And now I guess they are mine. I am finding watching these now is a mixture of enjoyment and sadness as I am not watching them with her. Sorry... really didn't mean to go there.

Here I will be reviewing each episode as I watch them. I intend for this to be a slow marathon. Watching a disc here and there as I get the chance. But it is a marathon I will eventually finish. So do not worry if this thread is quiet for a while.

Season 1:
1. Sins of the Past
2. Chariots of War
3. Dreamworker
4. Cradle of Hope
5. The Path Not Taken
6. The Reckoning
7. The Titans
8. Prometheus
9. Death in Chains
10. Hooves and Harlots
11. The Black Wolf
12. Beware Greeks Bearing Gifts

13. Athens City Academy of the Performing Bards
14. A Fistful of Dinars
15. Warrior...Princess
16. Mortal Beloved
17. The Royal Couple of Thieves
18. The Prodigal
19. Altared States
20. Ties That Bind
21. The Greater Good
22. Callisto
23. Death Mask
24. Is There a Doctor in the House?

Season 2:
1.  Orphan of War
2. Remember Nothing
3. The Giant Killer
4. Girls Just Wanna Have Fun
5. Return of Callisto
6. Warrior... Princess... Tramp
7. Intimate Stranger
8. Ten Little Warlords
9. A Solstice Carol
10. The Xena Scrolls
11. Here She Comes... Miss Amphipolis
12. Destiny

13. The Quest
14. A Necessary Evil
15. A Day in the Life
16. For Him The Bell Tolls
17. The Execution
18. Blind Faith
19. Ulysses
20. The Price
21. The Lost Mariner
22. A Comedy of Eros

Season 3:
1.  The Furies
2. Been There, Done That
3. The Dirty Half Dozen
4. The Deliverer
5. Gabrielle's Hope
6. The Debt (1)
7. The Debt (2)
8. The King of Assassins
9. Warrior... Priestess... Tramp
10. The Quill Is Mightier
11. Maternal Instincts
12. The Bitter Suite
13. One Against An Army
14. Forgiven
15. King Con
16. When In Rome...
17. Forget Me Not
18. Fins, Femmes and Gems
19. Tsunami
20. Vanishing Act
21. Sacrifice (1)
22. Sacrifice (2)
Season 4:
1. Adventures in the Sin Trade
2. Adventures in the Sin Trade 2
3. A Family Affair
4. In Sickness and in Hell
5. A Good Day
6. A Tale of Two Muses
7. Locked Up and Tied Down
8. Crusader
9. Past Imperfect
10. The Key to the Kingdom
11. Daughter of Pomira
12. If the Shoe Fits...
13. Paradise Found
14. Devi
15. Between the Lines
16. The Way
17. The Play's the Thing
18. The Convert
19. Takes One to Know One
20. Endgame
21. The Ides of March
22. Déjà Vu All Over Again
Season 5:
1. Fallen Angel
2. Chakram
3. Succession
4. Animal Attraction
5. Them Bones, Them Bones
6. Purity
7. Back in the Bottle
8. Little Problems
9. Seeds of Faith
10. Lyre, Lyre, Hearts on Fire
11. Punch Lines
12. God Fearing Child
13. Eternal Bonds
14. Amphipolis Under Siege
15. Married with Fishsticks
16. Lifeblood
17. Kindred Spirits
18. Antony & Cleopatra
19. Looking Death in the Eye
20. Livia
21. Eve
22. Motherhood
Season 6:
1. Coming Home
2. The Haunting of Amphipolis
3. Heart of Darkness
4. Who's Gurkhan?
5. Legacy
6. The Abyss
7. The Rheingold
8. The Ring
9. Return of the Valkyrie
10. Old Ares Had a Farm
11. Dangerous Prey
12. The God You Know
13. You Are There
14. Path of Vengeance
15. To Helicon and Back
16. Send in the Clones
17. The Last of the Centaurs
18. When Fates Collide
19. Many Happy Returns
20. Soul Possession
21. Friend in Need (1)
22. Friend in Need (2)
« Last Edit: June 07, 2010, 05:43:52 PM by addicted2dvd »
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Re: Xena: Warrior Princess Marathon
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2009, 01:03:01 AM »
1. Sins of the Past
Xena vows to change her evil ways - then must face off against a warlord who's determined to keep her on the wrong side of the law.

My Thoughts:
I enjoyed watching this pilot episode again. It is a good introduction to most the characters. But while it touched on it... not so much for Xena herself. You wouldn't be lost if you never saw her in Hercules... but it definitely would help.

My Rating:

2. Chariots of Fire
After being befriended by a homesteader named Darius, Xena takes on a bloodthirsty warlord and his son, who have mercilessly pillaged Darius's community in an effort to drive the settlers off their land.

My Thoughts:
Another episode I enjoyed. In this one both Xena and Gabrielle found someone they probably could be happy spending the rest of their lives with. But they felt the need to continue their journey and in Xena's case continue to make up for her past and right wrongs wherever she could find them.

My Rating:

3. Dreamworker
Xena enters a mystical realm known as the Dreamscape to save Gabrielle, who has been taken there and forced to complete a series of tasks that will make her worthy of becoming the bride of the dream god, Morpheus.

My Thoughts:
This episode is definitely different then the previous two... but is a fin episode. I like it that Gabrielle is interested in learning to fight as well. As I said... I like strong women. But I also like that Xena doesn't want to teach her to fight. It goes along with the character. She knows how fighting and killing effected her life... and she don't want that for her friend.

My Rating:

4. Cradle of Hope
Xena and Gabrielle set out to find the parents of an abandoned baby, and discover that the infant's been marked for death due to a prophecy declaring him a future threat to a local king.

My Thoughts:
This show really has been consistantly very good. Of course it is still early into the series yet with only four episodes down. While the story about the baby was good... in this episode I enjoyed the side episode a little more. The side story dealing with the loss and attempts to get back Pandora's Box.

My Rating:
Pete

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2009, 01:15:15 PM »

Every story has a beginning and the beginning of this story I will tell you now:

1x09 The Warrior Princess
Synopsis: Xena is a fearsome warlord who raids defenceless villages. And as basically every warlord of that time she wants to slay the son of Zeus: Hercules. But first she has to break him. And what better way is there than to seduce his best friend Iolaus and let them turn against each other?

My Opinion: I have to admit, the only one who really convinced me here was Xena. Neither Hercules nor Iolaus behaved liked you would expect them to. They've travelled so much together, fought side by side and back to back. And suddenly Iolaus believes her more than he does believe him and even challenges him to the death? Unlikely.

1x12 The Gauntlet
Synopsis: Xena has raised a new army but unfortunately her soldiers don't follow her code of honour. In her absence they raid a village without warning and kill every man, woman and child in it (except for the one baby she can save). Her second-in-command, Darphus, sees this as a weakness and starts a mutiny. He puts her through the gauntlet, a ritual that nobody has ever survived - until now. Now she wants revenge and she gets help in the form of Hercules who wants to stop this army, too.

My Opinion: Here they started to build up the character for her own series and except for her sudden fondness for Hercules in the end there was nothing that contradicts with her former appearance. I liked how they changed her character because she's already much more like the Xena I know and love. But Salmoneus was also great. Both shows have a good number of supporting characters that act as comic relief and Salmoneus is one of them.

1x13 Unchained Heart
Synopsis: Ares, God of War, has resurrected Darphus and has given him his favourite "pet". Xena and Hercules decide to stop him once and for all, but they are not alone. Salmoneus is still with them, even if he's not the bravest of guys. And Iolaus is also joining them, despite his and Xena's history.

My Opinion: If you watch the show you have to admit that the effects have never been the best or even slightly realistic. But if you can look past this then it's really enjoyable. It makes it up with interesting characters, cool stories and a nice potpourri of Greek, Roman, Christian and whatnot mythology.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2009, 10:46:57 PM by DJ Doena »
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2009, 02:08:04 PM »
Yup... I know all about those Hercules episodes.
Pete

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2009, 07:27:16 PM »

Season 1

Disc 1

1x01 Sins of the Past
Synopsis: Xena has left her old ways behind and even intends to bury her weapons and armor when she "encounters" a group of mercenaries who try to kidnap a group of young women from a nearby village. The mercenaries belong to Draco, an old acquaintance of Xena's who plans to march into Xena's home valley. She has to protect her home village and at the same time that young girl who's now following her: Gabrielle.

My Opinion: If you already know the character from the Hercules episodes then you have no problem understanding this pilot episode. If you don't then the writers gave you a glimpse into her old life by using Draco as proxy since it is made clear that Xena was much like him. And it's also a good introduction to Gabrielle and her greatest talent: Her mouth. Xena wears now her final costume which changed slightly during and after the Hercules episodes. I think it's a good introduction to the show.

1x02 Chariots of War
Synopsis: Xena gets shot by an arrow when she tries to help some villagers who were under attack by a local warlord. One of the villagers invites her to his house until she's healed. Meanwhile Gabrielle waits in another town for her return and makes the acquaintance of a young man who happens to be the son of said warlord and is supposed to become his father's successor.

My Opinion: Sometimes this show is a bit clichéd. For example you can always tell the absolute bad guys by their deliberately ugly teeth. But that doesn't mean that nice teeth indicate a good person, it just indicates a main character for the episode. ;) And while the warlord has quite a number of scars, his son is pretty good looking (with blue eyes and all).
I liked it that they expanded on Gabrielle's character trait to let her talking be her greatest strength/weapon.

1x03 Dreamworker
Synopsis: Gabrielle gets kidnapped by a group of Mystics who want to marry her to the God of Dreams, Morpheus. For this she has to lose her blood innocence and has to kill a man (but she doesn't know that). In order to save her, Xena has to enter the Dreamscape where she not only encounters the people she killed but also her old self.

My Opinion: "You look bigger". ;D I really liked it how Gabrielle got rid of her enemies without killing a single one of them and I liked it how Xena faced her old self and came to the acceptance that she is part of her and always will be. And I love these contact lenses(?) that colour the entire eye totally black. That looks awesome every time someone wears them (e.g. Lyta Alexander in Babylon 5).

1x04 Cradle of Hope
Synopsis: Xena and Gabrielle find an abandoned baby that has become victim of a prophecy that says that the child will one day sit on the throne of the local kingdom. But they also encounter the granddaughter of the famous Pandora and she's carrying the box and has to prevent hope from escaping out of it.

My Opinion: As I said in the beginning, I like the mixture of mythologies they are brewing here. I don't have a problem with them being at Troy one week and meeting Cesar the next. And so they encounter Pandora (named after her grandmother) and her box this week. And Lucy Lawless (what a name! ;)) danced a beautiful oriental dance...
« Last Edit: December 06, 2009, 10:48:56 PM by DJ Doena »
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2009, 09:54:21 PM »
Good to see you joining me Karsten!  :thumbup:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2009, 09:28:25 AM »
5. The Path Not Taken
Xena faces ghosts from the past when she revisits one of her old haunts and ingratiates herself with murderous former "colleagues" in order to locate a kidnapped princess who is being hidden here.

My Thoughts:
A really good episode that I enjoyed a lot. In this one Xena has to act like her old self some in an attempt to save a princess and stop a war before it starts. I liked how she tried to show an old friend that he too could be good.

My Rating:

6. The Reckoning
When villagers declare war on an innocent Xena for killing their neighbors, she's forced to consider an offer made her by Ares, the god of war, that would give her the power to rule the world.

My Thoughts:
This is the first episode of Xena that we see Ares in. It is another good episode... though not quite as good as the previous one.

My Rating:

7. The Titans
The stage is set for a clash of the Titans when Gabrielle inadvertently releases three of the giants from a centuries-long entombment and one proceeds to terrorize a village - against the wishes of the other two.

My Thoughts:
Another episode I enjoyed very much. I got a kick watching them deal with these gigantic Titans. And in this episode Gabrielle finds herself attracted to a young man she meets in the village.

My Rating:

8. Prometheus
Upon realizing that Prometheus has been captured and chained by the gods - thus causing great harm to mankind - Xena sets out to find the sword that will free him, and is joined in her quest by Hercules.

My Thoughts:
Another excellent episode! I really enjoyed seeing all four (Xena, Gabrielle, Hercules & Iolous) in one episode like this. Though it did seem a little weird to see a romantic attraction between Gabrielle and Iolous. But the episode had a great story.

My Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2009, 12:56:02 AM »
9. Death in Chains
Hades, god of the underworld, asks Xena to undertake the task of freeing his sister - the embodiment of death - from the clutches of a greedy king who's captured her in order to give himself eternal life.

My Thoughts:
This episode is a bit of a mixed bag. While I found it to be a very fun episode... it is not without it's problems. Of course it's problems is part of the thing that makes this show fun anyway. For example it showed Xena throw her Chakrum at a tree and it works like a buzz saw on a huge branch. Even going as far as making the sound of a buzz saw. Another thing about this episode is it is very inconsistant. In the beginning it shows some people that are mortally injured and un able to barely move... but yet it show other while fighting keep coming at you... like Ha-Ha! Stab me again... I cannot die! But for the most part I just found the episode to be a fun!

My Rating:

10. Hooves & Harlots
Xena has a tall order to fill trying to prevent a war between the Amazons and the Centaurs; and Gabrielle finds herself with some pretty big shoes to fill when she's chosen to replace an Amazon princess who died in her arms.

My Thoughts:
This is the episode I been waiting for... this is the one where Gabrielle becomes an Amazon... and starts wearing that leather outfit... and doing some fighting herself. I didn't realize it was so close to the beginning of the series... I was thinking it was in the second season. Thankfully I didn't have to wait that long. This has always been one of my favorite episodes. I always thought they did the Centaurs good... it has a good story.,, and it somewhat changes the series from this point on. At least the character of Gabrielle.

My Rating:

11. The Black Wolf
Xena fights her way into a dungeon (on purpose) to rescue the freedom-fighting daughter of an old friend.

My Thoughts:
This is another episode I really enjoyed. Once again Xena uses her past to make some people believe she is still bad.I got a kick out of Gabrielle trying to get thrown in the dungeon.

My Rating:

12. Beware Greeks Bearing Gifts
At the behest of Helen of Troy, Xena goes to the embattled city to help end a 10-year war with the Greeks. But while trying to rein in the hostilities, she discovers a Trojan horse who's working with the enemy.

My Thoughts:
While I liked this episode... I didn't care for it quite as much as the previous few. But I really can't put my finger on why. The premise is a good one. It was kinda fun seeing Xena involved in the Trojon horse. But for some reason it just didn't work as good as it should have for me.

My Rating:
Pete

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2009, 09:41:02 AM »
Disc 2

1x05 The Path Not Taken
Synopsis: Xena intervenes in an old feud between two kingdoms that is fuelled by the weapons dealer profiting from it. He kidnapped the princess and blamed it on the other kingdom. Within his ranks Xena finds Marcus, an old friend of hers who still travels the road she's left.

My Opinion: It was an OK episode, but Marcus's sacrifice at the end was a bit unconvincing. Granted they prepared for it in that conversation between him and Xena, but he was just fighting her because he did not want to change his way of living.

1x06 The Reckoning
Synopsis: Ares, God of War, slaughters some innocent villagers and blames it on Xena. The surviving villagers want to bring her to trial and then execute her. Ares could help her - if she comes back to him. Gabrielle tries to defend her and prove her innocence but is being sabotaged in her efforts.

My Opinion: Even though the episode introduced the cool Kevin Smith (they are both cool, but this is not the fat one! ;)) as Ares, the episode didn't work for me. Even though she was innocent she surrendered to this trial just because she has a dark past. And it looked like as if she might have let them kill her. That's BS in my eyes.

1x07 The Titans
Synopsis: Gabrielle inadvertently releases three of the Titans when she recites and old chant in a huge cave hall. Amongst them is Hyperion, the Sun Titan, who is not very fond of Humans. At first they follow Gabrielle's command since they believe that only a powerful god could have released them. But Hyperion is impatient...

My Opinion: This episode I liked. It was cool to see Crius (one of the Titans) to follow Gabrielle's every wish and constantly calling her "the virgin goddess" and her getting annoyed by it (especially the "virgin" part ;)). I also thought they did the handling of the height difference pretty decently. The special effects in the show aren't the best but here they managed it to look pretty convincingly.

1x08 Prometheus
Synopsis: Hera, wife of Zeus and mother of the gods, has put Prometheus in chains. This means that mankind will slowly lose all gifts Prometheus has given them. Starting with the ability to heal and the ability to utilize fire. Both Xena & Gabrielle and Hercules & Iolaus try to free him again.

My Opinion: This was a cool episode, seeing the four of them together (I think it's the only time it ever happens). And while it was unlikely (due to the time frame) that Hercules told Xena about Prometheus and his chains I didn't care. I liked how they found "a solution" to free him without the need to sacrifice one of them and I liked how Iolaus and Gabrielle came closer.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2009, 10:49:40 PM by DJ Doena »
Karsten

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2009, 01:18:18 AM »
Season 1: Disc 4

13. Athens City Academy...
Gabrielle forsakes a new odyssey with Xena in order to audition for the Athens City Academy of the Performing Bards at their annual storytelling competition.

My Thoughts:
This is a fun episode... though I found it odd that so soon into the first season they decided to do a clips episode that revisited the earlier episodes. I just don't think it was needed this soon into the series. Especially watching it on DVD like this. But it was fun watching Gabrielle tell all the stories about her and Xena... as well as see the other styles of storytelling from the other people in the competition.

My Rating:

14. A Fistful of Dinars
Xena is drawn into a treasure hunt that forces her to team up with a despicable assassin and a ruthless warlord - who happens to be her former fiancé.

My Thoughts:

Another good episode... had Xena and the others figuring out clues to make it to the treasure. It almost had a feel of an Indiana Jones movie where he always had to figure out the correct way of doing things to get further.

My Rating:

15. Warrior...Princess
The Warrior Princess learns life as a blue blood can be a royal pain when she stands in for a princess whose life has been threatened by assassins.

My Thoughts:
This episode I liked very much. It was just plain fun... and I found myself laughing on more then one occassion in this episode. Not only did I think it was fun seeing Xena try to act like a princess and fight in the princess's dress... but I thought it was hilarious seeing the princess trying to be a convincing Xena.

My Rating:

16. Mortal Beloved

The ghost of her beloved Marcus prompts Xena to travel to the Underworld - where a madman has stolen Hades' Helmet of Invisibility, causing total chaos in the realm.

My Thoughts:
Another excellent episode... but this time much more serious then the last episode. I liked the more fantasy driven storyline. I also liked how they did Hades' guards, The Harpies.

My Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2009, 05:11:48 PM »
Season 1: Disc 5

17. The Royal Couple of Thieves
Xena's asked to steal back a pilfered chest containing the world's most powerful weapon, so she enlists the help of Autolycus, the self-proclaimed King of Thieves.

My Thoughts:
This is the first episode of Xena that Bruce Campbell appared in as the King of Thieves. It is a fun episode. There is plenty of comedy involved.

My Rating:

18. The Prodigal
Gabrielle returns to her home town, only to find it under attack by a greedy warlord, and under the protection of a faded warrior, who's lost his self-confidence.

My Thoughts:
Another episode that I like. Even though Xena is barely in this episode. Only a short scene in the beginning and a short scene in the end. But I enjoyed seeing an episode that focused more on Gabrielle.

My Rating:

19. Altared States
Xena and Gabrielle agree to hide a 12-year-old who has run away from home after learning that he was to be sacrificed in the name of a new "Supreme Diety."

My Thoughts:
This episode has a great beginning! Xena and Gabrielle bathing in the lake... Xena teaching Gabrielle how to fish by just grabbing the fish while in the water with them. Coming nude (or so it looks) out of the water in front of the men she was going to fight as well as the teen boy that she was going to save. All I could think is "Lucky Kid" even if they really were in bikinis or not. The main episode is good... an interestings story.

My Rating:

20. The Ties That Bind
Xena saves a mysterious warrior, who later professes to be her estranged father. But the reunion is anything but happy, as Xena tries to find out if the man's claims are true.

My Thoughts:
While still a good story... I didn't care for this one quite as much as the others. I just think the story they were telling could have been done a little better.

My Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2009, 08:39:55 PM »
Season 1: Disc 6

21. The Greater Good
When Xena is left near death after being struck by a poisoned dart, Gabrielle is forced to impersonate the Warrior Princess to protect a group of villagers.

My Thoughts:
This is an excellent episode. We get a little sneak peek at Callisto who we meet in the next episode. We get lots of Gabrielle... and she looks great dressed as Xena! And lots of great action. I don't remember ever seeing this episode before. I think this is one I must have missed when originally watching the series. But I must say... it has become one of my favorite episodes!

My Rating:

22. Callisto
Xena is reminded of her past when a malicious female warrior, Callisto, whose family was killed by Xena's former army, exacts her revenge on the Warrior Princess by impersonating her while on bloody rampages.

My Thoughts:
This one we meet not only Callisto... but we also meet Joxer who is played by Ted Raimi. I enjoyed this one... not quite as much as the last one... but it was very good.

My Rating:

23. Death Mask
After being reunited with her estranged brother, Toris, Xena decides to join him in his plan to kill the raider who destroyed their village years before.

My Thoughts:
This is an ok episode... definitely not what I would call a favorite. I did like meeting Xena's brother in this episode... but for the most part I found it kinda slow.

My Rating:

24. Is There a Doctor in the House?
Caught in the middle of a war, Xena and Gabrielle aid the wounded inhabitants of a healing temple, then try to mediate talks between the warring

My Thoughts:
This season finale went from being slightly entertaining to good and entertaining once Gabrielle got hurt. At the beginning I found Xena's knowledge of modern medical techniques in an old setting a little too far fetched. I did however like how she seemed to accidentally find the way to save Gabrielle's life. But once they got past the knowing of the medical techniques the good story kicked in and I was able to enjoy the episode much more.

My Rating:

I really enjoyed revisiting this first season after many years. And I was surprised to find an episode or two that I don't remember ever seeing before. Now I am looking forward to continuing on to Season 2.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2009, 06:45:58 PM »
Season 2: Disc 1

1. Orphan of War
When Xena tries to help the centaurs protect a sacred stone that contains their evil, she encounters someone from her past...her son.

My Thoughts:
A good episode. As the plot says in this episode we learn of Xena's son. I didn't remember this from when I watched this series on TV. So not sure if we ever hear from him again or not. In this episode Xena has to go against one of the men that used to be in her army. A man very greedy for power.

My Rating:

2. Remember Nothing
The Three Fates offer Xena the opportunity to erase her past - including her brother's untimely death - but only if she vows to never shed blood in anger again.

My Thoughts:
Wow... impressive. This is another episode I don't remember ever seeing before. It is nice knowing I have episodes in these sets that I never seen before to look forward to. This one is an alternate reality/What if episode that I thought was very well done. I enjoyed every minute of it.

My Rating:

3. Giant Killer
Xena is caught between a rock and a hard place when she's pitted against her friend Goliath in a battle between the Israelites and the Philistines.

My Thoughts:
Whatta ya know... Xena was there when David put down Goliath. Not a bad episode... though not the best I have seen. Entertaining anyway.

My Rating:

4. Girls Just Wanna Have Fun
Xena is forced to take on the Bacchae - bloodthirsty minions of the wine god, Bacchus - to get to their power-hungry leader and foil his plan to take over the world.

My Thoughts:
Somehow I completely forgot about this episode till I got to it. I don't know how I could forget they did a take on the Vampire legend. And yes... I of course loved every minute of it. It is definitely a favorite.

My Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2009, 09:46:44 PM »
Season 2: Disc 2

5. Return of Callisto
Gabrielle plans to marry Perdicus, her hometown sweetheart, and must leave Xena and their travels, at the same time that Callisto has escaped from prison and is headed straight for them with vengeance in mind.

My Thoughts:
This was a really good episode. I enjoyed every minute of it. It is a pretty big episode for Gabrielle.

My Rating:

6. Warrior...Princess...Tramp
When Diana's father takes ill, Xena is summoned and runs into yet another lookalike, a barmaid named Meg, who seems quite taken with Joxer.

My Thoughts:
This is a fun episode. This time Lucy Lawless gets to play 3 parts. Nice amount of comedy here.

My Rating:

7. Intimate Strangers
Xena's life takes a nightmarish turn when Callisto escapes from the Underworld by infiltrating her dreams.

My Thoughts:
Interesting episode. Not sure how I feel about the who Xena in Gabrielle's body. I guess Lucy Lawless needed some time off?

My Rating:

8. Ten Little Warlords
While still trapped in the body of her enemy, Callisto, Xena is forced to enter a competition where warlords vie to become the new god of war.

My Thoughts:
Another pretty good episode. Definitely got some laughs out of thisone... especially the scenes of Gabrielle and Joxer together. At least at the end of this episode we have Xena back in her own body.

My Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2010, 10:02:59 PM »
Season 2: Disc 3

9. A Solstice Carol
Xena and Gabrielle try to bring the warmth of the holiday season to a cold-hearted king who has outlawed the winter-solstice celebration.

My Thoughts:
I remembered that this series managed to do a Christmas episode. But I forgot how they did till I finally made it to the episode. While it was a bit contrived of course... it was a lot of fun. I actually enjoyed it more then I remembered.

My Rating:

10. The Xena Scrolls
In 1940, a determined archaeologist and a visitor to her excavation site stumble upon the "Xena Scrolls," ancient manuscripts that chronicle the Warrior Princess's adventures.

My Thoughts:
I wasn't sure I would... but I actually liked the way they did this episode. It is a clips episode with a twist that it happens long after Xena and the gang are dead. We see their desendants finding the scrolls talking about their adventures. Definitely more entertaining then I was expecting.

My Rating:

11. Here She Comes Miss Amphipolis
Disguising herself as a contestant, Xena enters the Miss Known World beauty pageant to flush out whoever is trying to sabotage the event.

My Thoughts:
This one I really didn't care much for. While it had it's moments... I found it to be Way too silly and too much bad singing. Definitely not my type of episode.

My Rating:

12. Destiny (Part 1)
After being critically injured in a fight, Xena lets her mind flash back to the time that Julius Caesar taught her a valuable lesson about destiny.

My Thoughts:
I didn't think I would come across any more... as I thought I seen most of this series. But this is another episode I have never seen before. Thinking about it with there being 6 seasons (134 episodes) there could actually be a lot that I have missed. This episode I enjoyed quite a lot. More then I was expecting to by reading the plot. It is a pretty powerful episode ending with a hell of a cliffhanger. One so good that I can't help but to start the next disc right away.

My Rating:
Pete