Author Topic: Addicted2DVD's November Alphabet Marathon  (Read 48794 times)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Re: Addicted2DVD's November Alphabet Marathon
« Reply #30 on: November 09, 2009, 12:30:52 AM »
I changed it in my first post... that should take care of it for you.
Pete

richierich

« Reply #31 on: November 09, 2009, 12:46:05 AM »
I changed it in my first post... that should take care of it for you.

Cheers Pete - hopefully we won't keep hijacking your thread now  :thumbup:

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 09, 2009, 12:48:52 AM »
 :laugh: Like I said... not really a big deal but since you said it was confusing I thought I would change the title.
Pete

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #33 on: November 09, 2009, 05:22:32 AM »
Oops...sheesh.  and I did it twice. 
Sorry about that.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 09, 2009, 12:17:45 PM »
That's ok... really no big deal.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 10, 2009, 02:52:19 PM »

Title: The Orphanage
Year: 2007
Director: J. A. Bayona
Rating: R
Length: 106 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 2.35:1
Audio: Spanish: Dolby Digital Surround EX, Spanish: DTS ES (Discrete), Spanish: Dolby Digital Surround
Subtitles: English, Spanish

Stars:
Belén Rueda
Fernando Cayo
Roger Príncep
Mabel Rivera
Montserrat Carulla

Plot:
Award-winning visionary Guillermo del Toro (Pan's Labyrinth, Hellboy) and acclaimed director J.A. Bayona present a "positively terrifying" (John Anderson, Newsday) new vision of the classic ghost story.

Returning to her childhood home – a mysterious, seaside orphanage – Laura and her family unknowingly unleash a long-forgotten, evil spirit. Now thrust into a chilling nightmare, Laura must confront the memories of her past before the ghosts of the orphanage destroy her... and everything she has ever loved.

Extras:
Scene Access
Trailers
Featurettes
Gallery
Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
This is a really good story that I enjoyed a lot. Though I must admit that I did have problems keeping up with the subtitles. People were just talking too fast and being a slow reader I had to keep pausing or rewinding through-out the whole movie. And that did take some of the enjoyment away for me. Which is the reason I mostly stick with movie made in English. But even so this is an enjoyable movie. I liked the whole idea of the orphanage for a setting and also liked the link to the Peter Pan story for the kids. Definitely worth checking out if you never did. And if you don't mind subtitles (if you don't speak Spanish).

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 10, 2009, 06:14:37 PM »

Title: Hellboy
Year: 2004
Director: Guillermo Del Toro
Rating: PG-13
Length: 122 Min.
Video: Widescreen 1.85:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital 5.1, French: Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English, French

Stars:
Ron Perlman
John Hurt
Selma Blair
Rupert Evans
Karel Roden

Plot:
As dark forces gather to hasten the Apocalypse, Hellboy fire with fire in this mind-blasting-supernatural action adventure from the visionary director of Blade 2, Based on the celebrated Dark Horse comic book.

Extras:
Scene Access
Audio Commentary
Trailers
Featurettes
DVD-ROM Content
Closed Captioned
Video Introduction by Guillermo del Toro

My Thoughts:
This is one I bought blind when it was recommended to me by a few different people. After watching it I am glad I added it to my collection. The movie is a lot of fun. I enjoyed it quite a bit. Of course it is not a movie to be taken seriously. Just something fun to waste a couple hours with. If you try to over think this one... that will do nothing but take away from the enjoyment. Since I never seen the comics I couldn't tell you how well this movie follows them. Now I need to see if Hellboy II is still on On-Demand.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 11, 2009, 07:16:26 PM »

Title: Cat People
Year: 1942
Director: Jacques Tourneur
Rating: NR
Length: 73 Min.
Video: Full Frame 1.33:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital Mono, Commentary: Dolby Digital Stereo
Subtitles: English, French, Spanish

Stars:
Simone Simon
Kent Smith
Tom Conway
Jane Randolph
Jack Holt

Plot:
Cat People is the trailblazing first of Lewton's nine horror classics. Simone Simon portrays a bride who fears an ancient hex will turn her into a deadly panther when she's in passion's grip.

Extras:
Scene Access
Audio Commentary
Trailers
Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
I thought it was about time for another one from the Val Lewton Horror Collection. This one I enjoyed a lot. Even if there was a couple of slow scenes that I caught myself starting to dose off on... but I think that is more to I didn't sleep well last night then anything about the movie. Like a lot of horror from this time it is more about what you do not see then what you do. There is some great suspenseful scenes... I especially enjoyed one scene at a hotel swimming pool. And I must mention the star of this movie... Someone named Simone Simon. This is the first time I ever seen anything with her in it. But she was absolutely adorable... and I loved her accent. Not sure if it was real... but I would guess so since she was born in France. If you never seen this classic horror... I highly recommend it.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Najemikon

« Reply #38 on: November 11, 2009, 08:17:56 PM »
Well done for sticking with The Orphanage, Pete! Really glad you enjoyed it. Similarly for The Cat People and you're definitely right about Simone Simon. She is in the sequel, but bear in mind what I have said before, it is not a traditional sequel. It isn't even a horror. Heck, it doesn't even make reference to Cat People (apart from what we know)! That said, considering the characters are from that film and remember what happened, it is a clever title. It's about a little girl and her imaginary (or not) friend. I loved it, but had to very quickly realise it was a fantasy, more akin to It's A Wonderful Life than anything scary.

I'm looking forward to what you think of it.   :D

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 11, 2009, 08:21:56 PM »
Thanks Jon... I am hoping to watch Curse of the Cat People later today. If I get the chance... I have some stuff to do yet today. And thanks for the heads up on it being so much different then the first... this way I won't expect more of the same and be disappointed. 
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 12, 2009, 03:01:37 PM »

Title: The Leopard Man
Year: 1943
Director: Jacques Tourneur
Length: 66 Min.
Audio: English: Dolby Digital Mono, Commentary: Dolby Digital Stereo
Subtitles: English, French, Spanish

Stars:
Dennis O'Keefe
Margo
Jean Brooks
Isabel Jewell
James Bell

Plot:
Is it man, beast or both behind a string of savage maulings and murders in The Leopard Man? An escaped leopard provides the catalyst for a foray in fear in which castanets clack wildly, a cemetery is a rendezvous for death and love, and a closed door heightens rather than hides the horror of a young girl's fate.

Extras:
Scene Access
Audio Commentary
Trailers

My Thoughts:
After enjoying both Cat People and Curse of the Cat People yesterday I decided to watch another one from The Val Lewton Horror Collection. So what do I decide on? How about more big cats and go with The Leopard Man? Of course this is different then Cat People... and even though I didn't like it quite as much... it is still a very good movie. I am glad I watched it. We get more chills in the dark and shadows. But this time we also actually get a little bit of blood. I especially liked the scene in the beginning of the movie when the teen girl was attacked and the blood comes seeping from under the door. Talk about a horrid feeling for any family. While there is a couple slow spots in the movie... everything happens pretty fast here. But I guess that is to be expected with such a short movie. Once again I must recommend a movie from this collection. If you are a classic horror fan... consider these movies!

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 12, 2009, 06:15:20 PM »

Title: The Expedition
Year: 2006
Director: Nigel Hartwell
Length: 108 Min.
Audio: English: Dolby Digital Stereo
Subtitles: N/A

Stars:
Anthony Cortese
Jessica Brant
Bill Lucas
Nigel Hartwell
Tom Kring

Plot:
Five Canadian filmmakers set out on a supernatural expedition to film a documentary on the Saratoga Homestead Asylum. Unfortunately only four of the crew members exited the building the next morning.

Extras:
Scene Access

My Thoughts:
Taking a little break from Val Lewton... I thought I would see if I could find another winner in the Mortuary of Madness set. Going by the plot on this one I went into this movie expecting something like The Blair Witch Project or better yet... St. Francisville Experiment. This fake horror documentary thing is pretty good entertainment. And it is good for a change of pace (the 3 mentioned here is all I have). This one is entertaining... over all I did enjoy it. But it definitely could have been better. Not all... but some scenes the acting needed help. Especially the scenes that take place in the police station.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 12, 2009, 10:02:46 PM »
This is one of those I really wanted to watch in my horror marathon (the other being Abe's Tomb) but because of my stupid decision to use movie pick it wasn't. Your rating isn't too high1 so maybe it's a good thing finally... maybe I will watch it before october next year :whistle:

1. A 3 for an horror film from you is like a 1 for everybody else, since you are usually very forgiven for this genre.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 12, 2009, 10:29:47 PM »
 :laugh: Damn... if my 3 is like a 1 for everyone else... then what does that make my zero (The Sorority, Bimbos BC, Curse of Lizzie Borden)??  :P
Pete

Najemikon

« Reply #44 on: November 12, 2009, 10:51:00 PM »
This is one of those I really wanted to watch in my horror marathon (the other being Abe's Tomb) but because of my stupid decision to use movie pick it wasn't. Your rating isn't too high1 so maybe it's a good thing finally... maybe I will watch it before october next year :whistle:

1. A 3 for an horror film from you is like a 1 for everybody else, since you are usually very forgiven for this genre.

Ah, but your formula is flawed now Pete is watching quality like Val Lewton! Join us... join us...  :tease: