Author Topic: Rich's October Horror Fest  (Read 68073 times)

richierich

Rich's October Horror Fest
« on: September 28, 2009, 05:53:08 PM »
The dreaded month, where wimp meets werewolf, chicken meets chucky, scaredy cat meets vampire bat etc etc
I will be hiding behind the cushions to attempt my first ever horror and gore marathon, a genre that is largely ignored in my viewing figures through being too big a wuss to watch such films alone in my fairly secluded house.     :fingerchew:

If I can average 1 film, and 1 episode, per day for the month I will have surpassed my goals. Just hope I can manage to get to sleep each night, and have stocked up on some red wines to help.

criteria - unwatched films only, must be marked as horror genre in dvdprofiler, tv episodes can be watched/unwatched but must be linked to halloween.

No.TitleDateRating /5
1 - From Dusk Till Dawn(1/10)3.5
2 - Roseanne S2 Ep7 Boo!(1/10)3.5
3 - Urban Legend(2/10)2.5
4 - Buffy Season 7 - Ep 18 Dirty Girls(2/10)3.5
5 - Hellboy(3/10)
6 - ()
7 - ()
8 - ()
9 - ()
10 - ()
11 - ()
12 - ()
13 - ()
14 - ()  
15 - ()
16 - ()
17 - ()
18 - ()
19 - ()
20 - ()
21 - ()
22 - ()
23 - ()
24 - ()
25 - ()
26 - ()
27 - ()
28 - ()
29 - ()
30 - ()
31 - ()
32 - ()
33 - ()
34 - ()
35 - ()
36 - ()
37 - ()
38 - ()
39 - ()
40 - ()
41 - ()
42 - ()
43 - ()
44 - ()

« Last Edit: October 02, 2009, 01:27:27 AM by Rich »

richierich

Re: Rich's October Horror Fest
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2009, 06:15:42 PM »

Title: From Dusk Till Dawn

Movie Count:1  
TV Ep. Count:  

Runtime:104
Certificate:18
Year:1996

Plot:From the creators of Pulp Fiction and Desperado comes this wild and wicked action thriller about two brothers on a desperate crime spree! Quentin Tarantino stars as a deranged convict who, along with his brother (George Clooney), kidnaps a preacher and his two kids (including Juliette Lewis - Natural Born Killers) and flees for the safety of a remote nightclub in Mexico. But once they arrive, they discover that the club is anything but a safe haven for criminals. Its bloodthirsty clientele forces the brothers to team up with their hostages in order to escape alive.

My Review:
More an action comedy than a horror in my book, but great fun nonetheless and a good opener for the marathon. All the key actors had great roles and got well into their characters, and with some fantastic and hilarious special effects it buzzed along at great speed.
The gore at times was deliberately OTT, but never went too far, and the final scenes in the bar were brilliant. Tarantino and Clooney made a great team, and were at times convincingly 'bad'.
My Rating
Out of a Possible 5

« Last Edit: October 01, 2009, 10:24:16 AM by Rich »

richierich

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2009, 06:31:01 PM »

Title: Roseanne: The Complete Second Season

Movie Count:1  
TV Ep. Count:1  

Runtime:566
Certificate:NR
Year:1989

Plot:Season 2 Ep. 7
Boo!
In this Halloween episode, the Conners decorate the house as the "Castle of Terror," while Dan and Roseanne pull pranks on each other.

My Review:
Really thumping funny episode, in fact one of the best I have seen from the series I've watched. It was clear all of the actors had great fun in the making of this, and really helped the viewer get in the Halloween spirit.
Loved the part with Dan, backlit in foggy night, coming at Roseanne with hockey mask and chainsaw.
Perfect opener for the tv episode section of this marathon.
My Rating
Out of a Possible 5

« Last Edit: October 01, 2009, 10:28:13 AM by Rich »

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2009, 06:37:19 PM »
 :thumbup:
Pete

Najemikon

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2009, 08:17:21 PM »
Come November you'll either be a whimpering wreck or hard as nails! Place your bets...  :tease:

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2009, 08:19:44 PM »
We doing a pool? I will take curled up in the fetal position... with his blanky pulled over his head!  :tease:
Pete

Najemikon

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2009, 08:24:38 PM »
 :hysterical:

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2009, 09:00:40 PM »
He will be so affraid that he will not start the November Alphabet Marathon and he will ask us to do a Disney movie marathon or a Dora/Diego Marathon. Of course this is if his eyes aren't too hurt after so much fast closing :P

BTW Rich Do you let DVDP choose the movie for you too?

richierich

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2009, 09:31:04 PM »
 :hysterical: :laugh: :hysterical:

Thanks for the vote of confidence guys, the films will be picked at random from movie pick so i'm sh%@~#ing myself what might turn up, althouh the first out the hat (from dusk till dawn) looks more action than horror or gore.
TV episodes i will select from the list i gave earlier on petes thread.

cheers
rich

shopping list
clove of garlic
crucifix
extra strong pants
mirror
blanky
horse shoe
lucky heather
silver bullet
salt

richierich

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2009, 10:29:55 AM »

Title: Urban Legend

Movie Count:2  
TV Ep. Count:1  

Runtime:96
Certificate:18
Year:1998

Plot:Everybody's heard of them...yet they have no traceable source. They're Urban Legends, contemporary tall-tales that emerge from the underground and take on colourful lives of their own.

When a series of strange deaths occur on the campus of Pendleton College, student Natalie (Alicia Witt - Four Rooms, TV's Cybill) begins to suspect that there is a bizarre link - someone is making urban legends a sinister reality. Her classmates, loyal Brenda (Rebecca Gayheart - Scream 2), ambitious journalist major Paul (Jared Leto - The Thin Red Line) and class joker Damon (Joshua Jackson - Cruel Intentions, Scream 2) insist the deaths are just coincidences despite the extraordinary circumstances.
But when Natalie gets too close to discovering the killer's demented desire to re-create the ultimate urban legend, she realises that she could be his next victim...

My Review:
Tongue in cheek 'Scream'-like slasher film, good entertainment but again moviepick's random selection has not been able to scare me - yet
The beginning was fairly gruesome, but it got tamer as it went on in the predictable stalk and murder routine amongst some university students, with the twist that the killings are based on infamous urban legends. The cast is fairly lame, the script generally uninspiring, and the direction lost. Don't expect to lose too many brain cells working out who the killer is.
However for a few chuckles and a bit of silliness, it is fair game.

My Rating
Out of a Possible 5

« Last Edit: October 02, 2009, 01:08:31 AM by Rich »

richierich

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2009, 01:11:49 AM »

Title: Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season Seven

Movie Count:2  
TV Ep. Count:2  

Certificate:15
Year:2002

Plot:As the seventh, and final season begins, Buffy the Vampire Slayer takes a surpprising and typically innovative turn with the re-opening of the High School (famously obliterated at the end of the third season). This startling development will foretell new challenges and threats, which promise that the battle agains evil is far from over.

And so the fight continues...

Episode:
18.   Dirty Girls
Faith comes back to town with a powerful ally, but the First has a new piece on the board as well. A misogynistic "preacher" named Caleb has come to town, and he throws down the gauntlet as soon as he enters Sunnydale. Buffy, the Scoobies, and the Potentials go to take up the challenge with disastrous results.

My Review:
Infamous episode and my personal favourite, it might be the dream scenes of lingerie clad women pillow-fighting, or the horny virginal twins, or just the gorgeous Eliza Dushku returning.
The introduction of the creepy Caleb (played brilliantly by Nathan Fillion) works well as a physical menace, and this episode was the beginning of the end of the series. Tension is worked well, and the chemistry seemed to slip up a notch from this point in S7. Some great fight scenes, particularly the last one, and overall leaves a great impression.
My Rating
Out of a Possible 5

« Last Edit: October 02, 2009, 01:22:14 AM by Rich »

richierich

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2009, 01:25:26 AM »

Title: Hellboy

Movie Count:3 
TV Ep. Count:2 

Runtime:122
Certificate:PG-13
Year:2004

Plot:As dark forces gather to hasten the Apocalypse, Hellboy fights fire with fire in this mind-blasting supernatural action-adventure from the visionary director of Blade 2. Based on the celebrated Dark Horse comic book.

My Review:
Daft but enjoyable, a fairly reasonable adaptation.
A nice blend of action, romance and comedy for this genre, with a cool lead by Ron Perlman and a particularly memorable dark villain in Kroenen.
Action is fairly much non-stop and well portrayed, albeit slightly too many fight scenes IMO.
The biggest downside for me, besides HB's weird love of stray cats, was his apparent infallibility, you never really felt he was in any serious mortal jeopardy against any of the baddies.
Don't take this movie too seriously, and it can then be enjoyed.
My Rating
Out of a Possible 5
« Last Edit: October 04, 2009, 06:26:44 PM by Rich »

Offline goodguy

• Heavy Poster
  • Colleen West never liked the first light of day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2009, 03:04:48 AM »
...it might be the dream scenes of lingerie clad women pillow-fighting...

A sad reminder how great the show was in the beginning. Remember the opening sequence with Xander's dream in S1 Teacher's Pet? In S7 we are stuck with something like this.
Matthias

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2009, 12:49:30 PM »
How you making out Rich? No nightmares last night... right?  :P or did you need your blanky?  :tease:
Pete

richierich

« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2009, 02:13:17 PM »
How you making out Rich? No nightmares last night... right?  :P or did you need your blanky?  :tease:

No I'm rock solid Pete, moviepick has been kind so far and the films have been more slasher comedies than true horror. As hellboy is just a PG-13 rating clearly its not going to be scary.
The films that scare me are the ones based on fact, or could actually happen, they screw with my mind and get my arse twitching.
Blanky is close to hand for when I do hit a scary one  :P
« Last Edit: October 02, 2009, 02:15:25 PM by Rich »