Author Topic: What Movies I Been Watching  (Read 467534 times)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Re: What Movies I Been Watching
« Reply #495 on: July 25, 2013, 07:44:12 PM »
     Battle Royale: Director's Cut (2000/Japan)
IMDb |Wikipedia |Trailer |
Anchor Bay Entertainment
Director:Kinji Fukasaku
Writing:Kenta Fukasaku (Screenwriter), Koushun Takami (Original Material By)
Length:122 min.
Rating:NR
Video:Widescreen 1.78:1
Audio:Japanese: Dolby Digital: 5.1
Subtitles:English

Stars:
Tatsuya Fujiwara as Shuya Nanahara - Boys #15
Aki Maeda as Noriko Nakagawa - Girls #15
Taro Yamamoto as Shougo Kawada - Boys #5
Chiaki Kuriyama as Takako Chigusa - Girls #13
Sousuke Takaoka as Hiroki Sugimura - Boys #11
Takashi Tsukamoto as Shinji Mimura - Boys #19

Plot:
In the near future, the economy has collapsed, unemployment has soared and juvenile crime has exploded. Fearful of their nation's youth, the Japanese government passes The BR Law: Each year, a 9th grade class is sent to a remote island where they will be locked into exploding neck collars, given a random weapon, and forced to hunt and kill each other until there is only one survivor left. Chiaki Kuriyama (Kill Bill) and screen legend Takeshi Kitano (Boiling Point, Brother) star in this movie that has been argued, acclaimed and banned around the world. More than a decade later, it remains one of the most savage, shocking and emotionally powerful films of all time. Now experience Kinji Fukasaku's uncompromising masterpiece - nominated for 10 Japanese Academy Awards - available uncensored and unrated for the first time ever in North America.

Extras:
  • Scene Access

My Thoughts:
I just finished watching this one with my daughter. It is a very good movie. We both enjoyed it quite a bit. Though I must say that I lost track of the subtitles on more then one occasion so sure I missed some of the nuances. I also enjoyed seeing Tatsuya Fujiwara in another film. I know him from his portrayal of Light Yagami in the Death Note films. This is definitely a film you should check out if you ever get the chance.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: August 02, 2013, 06:11:55 PM »
     Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone: Special Widescreen Edition (2001/United Kingdom)
Warner Home Video
Director:Chris Columbus
Writing:Steve Kloves (Screenwriter), J. K. Rowling [J.K. Rowling] (Original Material By)
Length:152 min.
Rating:Rated PG : Some Scary Moments and Mild Language
Video:Anamorphic Widescreen 2.35:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital: 5.1
Subtitles:English, Spanish

Stars:
Richard Harris as Albus Dumbledore
Maggie Smith as Professor McGonagall
Robbie Coltrane as Hagrid
Saunders Triplets as Baby Harry Potter
Daniel Radcliffe as Harry Potter
Fiona Shaw as Aunt Petunia Dursley

Plot:
The Delightful Film Adaptation of J.K. Rowling's Bestseller…

Harry Potter learns on his 11th birthday that he is the orphaned son of two powerful wizards and possesses magical powers of his own. At Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, Harry embarks on the adventure of a lifetime, discovering a world of magic and fantasy where he is destined to live.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Feature Trailers
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Featurettes
  • Production Notes
  • Interactive Games
  • DVD-ROM Content
  • Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
This morning I found myself in the mood for some Harry Potter. Before now all I ever seen is (I believe) the first 2 films in the series... even though I own the first 6 films. Still need to add the last 2 to my collection. Hopefully I will be able to do that before too long. Anyway... back to this film... I found this one to be a good start to the series. It does a good job at introducing all the characters and has an interesting storyline. The film, while a bit on the long side at just over 2 and a half hours, don't feel long at all. It seemed to be over before I knew it. Definitely worth the watch.... looking forward to the next film in the series.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: August 02, 2013, 08:52:44 PM »
     Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets: Widescreen Edition (2002/United Kingdom)
Warner Home Video
Director:Chris Columbus
Writing:Steve Kloves (Screenwriter), J. K. Rowling [J.K. Rowling] (Original Material By)
Length:161 min.
Rating:Rated PG : Scary Moments, Some Creature Violence and Mild Language
Audio:English: Dolby Digital EX: 5.1 (Matrixed 6.1), Spanish: Dolby Digital EX: 5.1 (Matrixed 6.1)
Subtitles:English, French, Spanish

Stars:
Rupert Grint as Ron Weasley
Emma Watson as Hermione Granger
Richard Griffiths as Uncle Vernon
Fiona Shaw as Aunt Petunia
Harry Melling as Dudley Dursley

Plot:
Cars fly, trees fight back and a mysterious elf comes to warn Harry Potter at the start of the second year of his amazing journey into the world of wizardry. This year at Hogwarts, spiders talk, letters scold and Harry's own unsettling ability to speak to snakes turns his friends against him. From dueling clubs to rogue Bludgers, it's a year of adventure and danger when bloody writing on a wall announces: The Chamber of Secrets has been opened. To save Hogwarts will require all of Harry, Ron and Herione's magical abilities and courage in this spellbinding adaptation of J.K. Rowling's second book. Get ready to be amused and petrified as Harry Potter shows he's more than a wizard, he's a hero!

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Feature Trailers
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Featurettes
  • Gallery
  • Interactive Games
  • DVD-ROM Content
  • Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
Year 2 at Hogwarts. It is a good continuation to the series. While far from pros... our heroes are getting more control over their powers. But at this point they are still relying a bit more on luck then anything else. I must say... I got a kick out of Dobby at the beginning of the film. This film is even longer then the first at almost 3 hours. Even so... like the first it still went by quickly. Definitely worth the time to check it out.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: August 03, 2013, 05:21:33 PM »
     Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban: 2-Disc Widescreen Edition (2004/United Kingdom)
Warner Home Video
Director:Alfonso Cuarón
Length:142 min.
Rating:Rated PG : Frightening Moments, Creature Violence and Mild Language
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital: 5.1, French: Dolby Digital: 5.1

Stars:
Richard Griffiths as Uncle Vernon
Pam Ferris as Aunt Marge
Fiona Shaw as Aunt Petunia
Adrian Rawlins as James Potter

Plot:
It's Harry's third year at Hogwarts, but a shadow hangs over Hogwart's. A dangerous mass murderer, Sirius Black, has escaped the Azkaban Fortress - the Wizards' Prison. While learning to cope with the Dementors sent to protect Hogwart's, Harry learns the disturbing story of Sirius Black and yet more of his own history.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Feature Trailers
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Featurettes
  • Interactive Games
  • Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
Now I am up to the films I never seen before. The storyline continues to be good and keep my attention. I don't think this one is quite as good as the first two... but it is close to them. Not much worse. Another long film... I expect that they all are... but still worth the time put in to watch them.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline DSig

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: August 03, 2013, 08:56:05 PM »
Thanks for this .. having a good time seeing others enjoy HP ..
Thank you
David

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #500 on: August 03, 2013, 09:00:12 PM »
I am trying to get the next one watched... but things keep getting in the way today. Hopefully I can at some point today.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: August 04, 2013, 12:51:34 AM »
     Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire: Widescreen Edition (2005/United Kingdom)
Warner Home Video
Director:Mike Newell
Length:157 min.
Rating:Rated PG-13 : Sequences of Fantasy Violence and Frightening Images
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital: 5.1

Stars:
Eric Sykes as Frank Bryce
Timothy Spall as Wormtail
David Tennant as Barty Crouch Junior
Emma Watson as Hermione Granger
Rupert Grint as Ron Weasley

Plot:
When Harry Potter's name emerges from the Goblet of Fire, he becomes a competitor in a grueling battle for glory among three wizarding schools - the Triwizard Tournament. But since Harry never submitted his name for the Tournament, who did? Now Harry must confront a deadly dragon, fierce water demons and an enchanted maze only to find himself in the cruel grasp of He Who Must Not Be Named. In this fourth film adaptation of J.K. Rowling's Harry Potter series, everything changes as Harry, Ron and Hermione leave childhood forever and take on challenges greater than anything they could have imagined.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
I actually think I liked this one the best out of all the Harry Potter films so far. I found the tournament to be a lot of fun to watch. This is of course another long film... but once again it don't feel like it while watching. It really does seem to go by quickly. I like the idea of a bit of a budding romance between Hermione and Ron... though when first starting the series I really thought it would be her and Harry getting together. Anyway... definitely worth checking out.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: August 04, 2013, 05:11:26 PM »
     Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix: Two-Disc Special Edition (2007/United Kingdom)
Warner Home Video
Director:David Yates
Writing:Michael Goldenberg (Screenwriter), J. K. Rowling [J.K. Rowling] (Original Material By)
Length:139 min.
Rating:Rated PG-13 : Sequences of Fantasy Violence and Frightening Images
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, French: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital: 5.1

Stars:
Jason Boyd as Piers
Richard Macklin as Malcolm
Kathryn Hunter as Mrs. Arabella Figg
Miles Jupp as TV Weatherman

Plot:
The rebellion begins! Lord Voldemort has returned, but the Ministry of Magic is doing everything it can to keep the wizarding world from knowing the truth – including appointing Ministry official Dolores Umbridge as the new Defense Against the Dark Arts professor at Hogwarts. When Umbridge refuses to teach practical defensive magic, Ron and Hermione convince Harry to secretly train a select group of students for the wizarding war that lies ahead. A terrifying showdown between good and evil awaits in this enthralling film version of the fifth novel in J.K. Rowling's Harry Potter series. Prepare for battle!

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Feature Trailers
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Featurettes
  • Interactive Games
  • Digital Copy

My Thoughts:
This one I enjoyed quite a bit. Not as much as I did the last one (Goblet of Fire)... but it is right up there with the rest of the series. I did find this one to be a little slower. But it was still enough to keep my interest through-out the entire film.  Definitely worth the time put in to watch it.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: August 04, 2013, 08:52:32 PM »
     Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (2009/United Kingdom)
Warner Home Video
Director:David Yates
Length:154 min.
Rating:Rated PG : Scary Images, Some Violence, Language and Mild Sensuality
Video:Widescreen 2.40:1
Audio:English: Dolby TrueHD: 5.1, French: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital: 5.1

Stars:
Michael Gambon as Professor Albus Dumbledore
Dave Legeno as Fenrir Greyback
Elarica Gallacher as Waitress
Jim Broadbent as Professor Horace Slughorn
Geraldine Somerville as Lily Potter

Plot:
Voldemort is tightening his grip on both the Muggle and wizarding worlds and Hogwarts is no longer the safe haven it once was. Harry suspects that dangers may even lie within the castle, but Dumbledore is more intent upon preparing him for the final battle that he knows is fast approaching. Together they work to find the key to unlock Voldemorts defenses and, to this end, Dumbledore recruits his old friend and colleague, Professor Horace Slughorn, whom he believes holds crucial information. Meanwhile, Harry discovers an old book marked mysteriously "This book is the property of the Half-Blood Prince" and begins to learn more about Lord Voldemort's dark past.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Featurettes
  • Interviews
  • Picture-in-picture
  • BD-Live
  • Digital Copy
  • Maximum Movie Mode

My Thoughts:
I just got this one in a DVD/Blu-ray combo this past month. Which is one of the reasons I started to watch the series this weekend. As I was looking forward to watching one on Blu-ray and knew I had to watch these in order. I can't say this one is a favorite compared to the rest of the series... but it is enjoyable. It is worth the time you put in to watch it. I would say if you are a fan of the earlier films you will want to see this one too. I can't comment on how it compares to the book as I never read any of the books.

Unfortunately this is the last Harry Potter film I have in my collection. I still need to get the final two parts to complete my collection. Hopefully I will be able to do that before too long.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #504 on: August 05, 2013, 04:42:06 AM »
I'm in the process of reading my Harry Potter books again.  I'm about 200 pages into Goblet of Fire. 
The books are so much better. 

Offline DSig

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: August 05, 2013, 06:12:50 PM »
I'm in the process of reading my Harry Potter books again.  I'm about 200 pages into Goblet of Fire. 
The books are so much better. 
True .. but to be fair how many films have you seen where the film is better than the book?
Thank you
David

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: August 07, 2013, 12:07:31 AM »
     Airplane!: "Don't Call Me Shirley!" Edition (1980/United States)
Paramount Home Entertainment
Director:Jim Abrahams, David Zucker, Jerry Zucker
Writing:Jim Abrahams (Writer), David Zucker (Writer), Jerry Zucker (Writer)
Length:88 min.
Rating:PG
Video:Anamorphic Widescreen 1.78:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, English: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround, French: Dolby Digital: Mono, Commentary: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles:English, Spanish, Trivia

Stars:
Kareem Abdul-Jabbar [Kareem Abdul-Jabaar] as Murdock
Lloyd Bridges as McCroskey
Peter Graves as Captain Oveur
Julie Hagerty as Elaine
Robert Hays as Ted Striker
Leslie Nielsen as Dr. Rumack

Plot:
It's the "Don't Call Me Shirley!" Special Collector's Edition of that high-flying, smash-hit comedy farce, Airplane! Robert Hays and Julie Hagerty join panicky passengers, inept ground controllers and an inflatable auto-pilot (named "Otto," of course!) in the disaster-film spoof voted "one of the 10 funniest movies ever made" by American Film Institute. Surely, you won't find a funnier film on DVD. And don't call me Shirley!

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Audio Commentary
  • Feature Trailers
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Closed Captioned
  • Trivia Track, Long Haul Version

My Thoughts:
I decided to watch this one with Brittany today. This is the first time she ever seen it.... and the first time I seen it since I was a teen. So I probably haven't seen it in a good 30 years! It is very strange... even after all those years there was a lot of stuff I remembered. After all those years I was telling Britt ohh.. watch this part it's funny. I remembered so much while watching you would have thought I watched it less then a month ago. But to be fair I did watch it countless times when I was a teen. Sure this movie goes with the obvious jokes... and some of those jokes are rather dated... but all the same this film is a lot of fun to watch! Brittany said it was a fun movie... but nothing there really got her laughing all that much. I am afraid I may have hyped it up for her a little too much. Plus this movie was made in 1980, so she didn't get all the references and such. But she said it was fun all the same. I, myself had a blast watching this one again after all these years. Definitely recommended.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: August 16, 2013, 05:54:47 PM »
Trailer |IMDb |Wikipedia |
Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment
Director:James Cameron
Writing:James Cameron (Writer)
Length:162 min.
Rating:Rated PG-13 : Intense Epic Battle Sequences and Warfare, Sensuality, Language and Some Smoking
Audio:English: DTS-HD Master Audio: 5.1, English: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround, Audio Descriptive: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital: 5.1, French: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Portuguese: Dolby Digital: 5.1
Subtitles:English, Portuguese, Spanish

Stars:
Sam Worthington as Jake Sully
Zoë Saldana as Neytiri
Sigourney Weaver as Grace
Stephen Lang as Colonel Miles Quaritch
Michelle Rodriguez as Trudy Chacon
Giovanni Ribisi as Parker Selfridge

Plot:
A reluctant hero. An epic journey. A choice between the life he left behind and the incredible new world he's learned to call home. Return to James Cameron's AVATAR — the greatest adventure of all time.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • THX

My Thoughts:
Brittany and I decided to watch this one today. It is a film out of her collection... but the first time either one of us has seen it. I was a little nervous going into this one... mainly due to the length. But I had always heard good things... so was more then willing to see it through. The first thing I notice on this one is that it is an absolutely gorgeous film. I am thrilled that I got to see this one for the first time on Blu-ray. Unlike my brother who watched it for (I believe) the first time on a basic cable channel. As for the story itself... I was also happy there. It kept my attention through-out with ease. It is definitely one I would recommend.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: August 16, 2013, 06:00:00 PM »
While Brittany said she enjoyed it... seems not as much as I did... as she ended up giving the disc to me after we watched it. Thanks Britt :)
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: August 16, 2013, 08:47:45 PM »
     V/H/S (2012/United States)
Magnolia Home Entertainment, Magnet
Director:David Brucker, Matt Bettinelli-Olpin, Adam Wingard, Ti West, Glenn McQuaid, Joe Swanberg, Radio Silence, Tyler Gillett, Justin Martinez, Chad Villella
Writing:Simon Barrett (Writer), David Brucker (Writer), Matt Bettinelli-Olpin (Writer), Nicholas Tecosky (Writer), Ti West (Writer), Glenn McQuaid (Writer), Tyler Gillett (Writer), Justin Martinez (Writer), Chad Villella (Writer), Radio Silence (Writer)
Length:116 min.
Rating:Rated R : Bloody Violence, Strong Sexuality, Graphic Nudity, Pervasive Language and Some Drug Use
Audio:English: DTS-HD Master Audio: 5.1
Subtitles:English

Stars:
Calvin Reeder as Gary
Lane Hughes as Zak
Kentucker Audley as Rox
Adan Wingard as Brad
Frank Stack as Old Man

Plot:
V/H/S is a point of view, found-footage horror film from the perspective of America's top genre filmmakers. In V/H/S, a group of misfits are hired by an unknown third party to burglarize a desolate house in the countryside to acquire a rare tape. Upon searching the house, the guys are confronted with a dead body, a hub of old televisions and an endless supply of cryptic footage, each video stranger and more inexplicably terrifying than the last...

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Audio Commentary
  • Feature Trailers
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Featurettes
  • Gallery
  • Interviews

My Thoughts:
I grabbed this one because it sounded interesting to me. It is a mixture of a "Found Footage" film and an Anthology... and I enjoy both these types of films. Over-all I enjoyed this one quite a bit. I found I enjoyed most all the stories. I especially liked the one where the guy and girl was video chatting over the computer. going by reviews I read it seems like basically half the people enjoy it and half the people hate it. But I think if you like Anthologies and found Footage films... this one is definitely worth checking out. I am now looking forward to seeing part 2 when it comes out.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete