Author Topic: Comedy? Weekend Marathon  (Read 13249 times)

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
Comedy? Weekend Marathon
« on: April 24, 2009, 08:24:24 PM »

Title : Date Movie (2006)

Overview
Julia Jones (Alyson Hannigan from the 'American Pie' series) is looking for love in ALL the wrong movies, until she snags the man of her dreams! But now, a devious ex, a farting feline and eccentric in-laws threaten her perfect Hollywood wedding!

My Impression
I was expecting something way more bad than that after all I've read about those movies, but this is only the beginning. Not that this movie is good or funny or subtil in any way... Most of the "jokes" are juvenile at best, how someone who is more than 8 years old can find the cat joke funny? How original or funny is the beginning? Shallow Hall had already done it... This is a parody not a remake so do a short reference and get over it, no need to pass 20 minutes on this. Maybe it's just me, but since when comedy are parody materials? Did I miss something? Another thing; when you make a joke don't overkill it... One obvious case when they do this is when they introduce the sexy blond girl (not that sexy by the way)... None of the jokes were that funny at least for me, only the Pretty Woman reference gave me a little smile. In fact the only time I've laugh is at the joke at the end credit (kind of lame when your best joke is in the credit). At least Alyson Hannigan is a cutie, but why she is only in stupid movie like this or American Pie? She can do better than that... Some of the song are good even if they are wasted in this.

Not necessary a waste of time or a waste of money (.88$ isn't that much, I can't even buy a chocolate bar with that), but not something that I will rewatch even for the commentary tracks or the extra materials.     

Rating :

Najemikon

Re: Comedy? Weekend Marathon
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2009, 08:55:14 PM »
...a farting feline...

My Impression
Most of the "jokes" are juvenile at best, how someone who is more than 8 years old can find the cat joke funny?

I haven't seen the film (and never will if I have anything to do with it), but if I've linked the synopsis and your comment correctly, this is the closest I've seen to a recommendation!  :bag:

My humour sprouts confidently from the gutter. And a fart is possibly the funniest thing ever. From a cat? Fried gold. ;D But it doesn't matter what the joke is, it's all about delivery.

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2009, 09:10:00 PM »
And a fart is possibly the funniest thing ever. From a cat? Fried gold. ;D But it doesn't matter what the joke is, it's all about delivery.
It's because you haven't seen it. 5 minutes of a really bad cat puppet on a toilet seat doing what we usually do on it with all the farting and dumping sound isn't my idea of comedy gold. Take it as an exemple of overkilling a joke that isn't really funny to begin with, at least for me.

Najemikon

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2009, 09:17:00 PM »
And a fart is possibly the funniest thing ever. From a cat? Fried gold. ;D But it doesn't matter what the joke is, it's all about delivery.
It's because you haven't seen it. 5 minutes of a really bad cat puppet on a toilet seat doing what we usually do on it with all the farting and dumping sound isn't my idea of comedy gold. Take it as an exemple of overkilling a joke that isn't really funny to begin with, at least for me.

I don't doubt it! But your earlier comment implied that a farting cat couldn't funny, but it certainly can... ;)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2009, 09:22:12 PM »
I agree with Jimmy... buy just for you Jon....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j96viafrgng
Pete

Najemikon

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2009, 09:37:34 PM »
A perfect example. That wasn't even funny in the first moments. Pathetic. I refuse to even use a smiley...

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2009, 09:39:42 PM »
That is the actual scene Jimmy is talking about from Date Movie.
Pete

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2009, 09:42:36 PM »
A perfect example. That wasn't even funny in the first moments. Pathetic. I refuse to even use a smiley...
You see sometime we can agree :clap:

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2009, 10:20:35 PM »
I have to say I liked the three Pie movies. But they have the same fault the Kevin Smith movies have. They always have one or two jokes that are just on the bottom. And they rarely are necessary, they don't bring the story forward. They are just there for being there's sake.

Of the movies that are called "parodies" nowadays I've only seen "Not Another Teen Movie" and I didn't like it very much.

And I didn't find the cat video funny either.
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2009, 10:29:47 PM »
I can garantee that it will not get better with the others movie :laugh:
The 3 other Seltzberg's movies are suppose to be completly retard ::)
Underground Comedy Movie if I believe the back cover is full of gay jokes ::)
Not Another Teen Movie (that is on the program) is comedy gold compare to the rest

I have my favourite parody movie for the end and it sure doesn't fit with them :laugh:

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2009, 01:34:42 AM »

Title : Epic Movie (2007)

Overview
When more troubled orphans (from four different movies) become trapped in a bizarre chocolate factory, they escape to a magical world of fake snow and genuine sorcery. But in order to survive, they must join forces with pirates, wizards and even a wise-but-horny lion in order to defeat the evil White Bitch!

My Impression
Now I know from where the bad reputation of Friedberg and Seltzer came from. This isn't a parody at all but a patchwork of trailer that's why I see the reference even if I've not seen a single one of the movies used... The joke are so lame, I give you a couple of exemples : the parody of the movie Nacho Libre consist as a guy dress like Jack Black shouting nacho over and over again before eating a bag of nachos (someone who had seen the film parodied find this funny?), a Paris Hilton look-a-like died when one of the girl fell on her, the movie countains a stupid pirate song (just check on youtube, you will certainly find it). Some part are almost funny but overkill again like : The Samuel Jackson look-a-like who appears when a plane become full of snake saying "I have had it with these goddamn snakes on this goddamn plane!" they would have stop right there and it would have been correct, but he tell the line maybe 10 times and kill it by saying "The internet bloggers love when I say, "I have had it with these goddamn snakes on this goddamn plane!"". The first rule in comedy is to not explain the jokes... Again Carmen Electra is in this and for nothing, don't tell me she is in the bussiness for her acting talent ::) I don't know but her talent consist of two things, use them... 2 things are a little bit smile inducing : the big fight at the end when everything is paused except the four protagonists and the fight when the stunt double is really obvious. If you are French Canadian you will maybe get a couple of giggles the first time you will see the fake beaver who looks like the one in the Bell publicity campaign.

And thinking that Meet the Spartans is supposed to be even worse :suicide:    

Rating :

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2009, 04:07:48 AM »

Title : Meet The Spartans (2008)

Overview
The battle begins when the heroic Leonidas, armed with nothing but leather underwear and a cape, leads a ragtag group of 13 - count'em, 13! - warriors to defend their homeland against the invading Persians, whose ranks include Ghost Rider, Rocky Balboa, the Transformers, and a hunchbacked Paris Hilton!

My Impression
I like this one, but maybe there is a logic explaination :hmmmm: This is my third one today in 9 hours, so my brain maybe had decided to go on vacancy OR the film is good for real OR we see more of Carmen Electra and more often... I've my idea of why :laugh:

Don't take my introduction that serious, this isn't hard to be better than the 2 previous one. But this one had a story and they follow it and the story is funny in a dumb way. Evidently we got again the stupid non sense celebrity of the day get thrown at us for no real reason, but that didn't happen too often. The difference is that this time real actors are in the cast and that gives a more professional look. Kevin Sorbo is far from his Hercule days but he is better than any actors who had appear in the previous movies, Ken Davitian had some good line and Sean Maguire is good in the lead. The rest of the cast isn't important, but without the talents of Carmen Electra the movie would be certainly less interesting. The American Idol segment at the end isn't to bad too.

Rating :
« Last Edit: April 25, 2009, 04:26:27 AM by Jimmy »

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2009, 04:11:46 AM »
OK enough for today or else I will maybe say that "Dister Movie" is as good than "Citizen Kane" :laugh:

Sebastien, I know what you want to answer but don't write it Jon will be unhappy ;)

Back tomorrow with the continuation of the marathon

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2009, 04:32:07 AM »
I don't know how you survived 3 of these in one day.  2 in one week made me feel like my brain was mush.  :lol

richierich

« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2009, 12:10:17 PM »
..... but without the talents of Carmen Electra the movie would be certainly less interesting.

:hysterical:

I can only guess what you meant by 'talents'