Author Topic: Lesbian Movie Marathon  (Read 98327 times)

Offline dfmorgan

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Lesbian Movie Marathon
« Reply #105 on: October 29, 2010, 09:31:35 PM »
Hey Tom, have you heard about the new film The Kids Are All Right with Julianne Moore and Annette Bening? That link is to the Empire review, but I also saw a clip tonight on Film 2010 and it looks really good. Apparently the cast are superb. Moore and Bening play lesbian partners who have two teenage kids, conceived via sperm donor. The girl is now 18 and she finds out who her biological father is (Mark Ruffalo), looks him up and brings him into the family. His mere presence causes upheaval. It's pitched as a comedy drama and seems really solid.

Christopher Tookey of the Daily Mail has given this 5 stars here.

Dave
Dave

Life? - Who needs a life when you have anime!

My DVD/HD-DVD/Blu-ray Collection
My Library
My CD Collection - sorry I use readerware for that and it doesn't have an online component.

Najemikon

« Reply #106 on: October 29, 2010, 09:39:44 PM »
Oh well. Can't be that good then!  :slaphead: :hysterical:

Critter

« Reply #107 on: October 30, 2010, 12:02:27 AM »
Isn't he the guy who said all that ridiculous stuff about Kick Ass when it was released? Ever since then if I see the words 'Daily Mail' I just turn away. I don't even bother reading anything by them anymore.

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
« Reply #108 on: November 04, 2010, 08:42:57 PM »
     Mädchen in Uniform (1958/Germany)
IMDb | Wikipedia

Universum Film (Germany)
Director:Geza Radvanyi
Writing:Chista Winsloe (Original Material By), F.D. Andam (Screenwriter), Franz Höllering (Screenwriter)
Length:90 min.
Video:Full Frame 1.33:1
Audio:German: Dolby Digital 1
Subtitles:English, German

Stars:
Lilli Palmer as Fräulein von Bernburg
Romy Schneider as Manuela von Meinhardis
Therese Giehle
Blandine Ebinger
Adelheid Seeck

Plot:
After the death of her parents young girl Manuela von Meinhardis is sent to a boarding school where Prussian drill rules the education. Desperately seeking love and warmth in Manuela's heart special emotions for the only human lady teacher, Fraeulein von Bernburg, start growing. Manuela falls in love with her. It's just a matter of time until that forbidden love becomes known what immediatly leads to desaster. Though Elisabeth von Bernburg has never returned the love she is forced to leave the school; Manuela gets a severe punishment, like someone who has committed a crime.

Extras:
  • Interviews
  • Photo Gallery
  • Scene Access

My Thoughts:
An okay movie. Nothing special. This movie may have been controversial for its time, but for today's standards it is really harmless.
It stars Romy Schneider, who the year before finished the famous Sissi trilogy. I can imagine that she took this role to try to cast away her image for the Sissi type of roles which she did before. But I still see her here as the same type of character.
This movie is a remake of a 30s movie. I have also ordered that one. I am curious how it is compared to this one.

Rating:

Critter

« Reply #109 on: November 04, 2010, 09:36:47 PM »
I've heard of this one. Apparently the 30's version is actually a lot more daring than this late 50's one.

Offline goodguy

• Heavy Poster
  • Colleen West never liked the first light of day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: November 07, 2010, 02:31:13 AM »
Hey Tom, have you heard about the new film The Kids Are All Right with Julianne Moore and Annette Bening? That link is to the Empire review, but I also saw a clip tonight on Film 2010 and it looks really good. Apparently the cast are superb. Moore and Bening play lesbian partners who have two teenage kids, conceived via sperm donor. The girl is now 18 and she finds out who her biological father is (Mark Ruffalo), looks him up and brings him into the family. His mere presence causes upheaval. It's pitched as a comedy drama and seems really solid.

Solid film with great acting - that about covers it. It's the most mainstream of Cholodenko's films, despite the gay marriage thing. It took me a while to warm up to the comedy aspects, which, while not laugh-out-loud funny, come dangerously close to sitcom territory.
Matthias

Offline goodguy

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: November 14, 2010, 07:31:47 AM »
Tom, another one you should put on your radar for this marathon is Chloe. I watched it today and phew. I don't want to give away anything but it was totally unexpected. I'm still undecided on whether I liked it or not, I'm still trying to wrap my head around what I actually watched. But it should certainly be on the list for this marathon.

Certainly interesting, although I found it a bit distracting that it actually goes through all those worn-out thriller mechanics. And I'm not sure if I'm just too clever ( :P), but what later comes as a surprise was pretty much clear to me from the first restroom scene. I was however surprised to see in the closing credits that this is actually a remake of a French movie.
Matthias

Critter

« Reply #112 on: November 14, 2010, 08:40:36 AM »
Tom, another one you should put on your radar for this marathon is Chloe. I watched it today and phew. I don't want to give away anything but it was totally unexpected. I'm still undecided on whether I liked it or not, I'm still trying to wrap my head around what I actually watched. But it should certainly be on the list for this marathon.

Certainly interesting, although I found it a bit distracting that it actually goes through all those worn-out thriller mechanics. And I'm not sure if I'm just too clever ( :P), but what later comes as a surprise was pretty much clear to me from the first restroom scene. I was however surprised to see in the closing credits that this is actually a remake of a French movie.

Haha it's funny you should say that because I was actually caught really off guard by that little "twist". I've always been bad at guessing twists in films though, but that one really left me  :o.

KinkyCyborg

« Reply #113 on: November 14, 2010, 05:39:21 PM »
Tom... will you be checking out this one?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0842926/

I think this one looks great.  :D

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
« Reply #114 on: November 14, 2010, 06:01:57 PM »
Tom... will you be checking out this one?

It is already on my wishlist at least. So maybe someday.

Critter

« Reply #115 on: November 14, 2010, 10:57:55 PM »
I watched The Kids Are All Right yesterday. Not bad, didn't really leave a lasting impression as a film but I loved Mia Wasikowska. She is fast becoming one of my favourite young Aussie actors. If only she didn't have that impossibly difficult last name. Whenever I try say it I always say Mia and then just sort of mumble out.  :laugh:

Dr. Hasslein

« Reply #116 on: November 14, 2010, 11:28:12 PM »
I think I've only seen one lesbian movie, and that would be Lost and Delirious.
I don't remember much of it only that it was quite sad.

This isn't a lesbian movie but have you seen the U.S. remake of The Birdcage?
It's one of my all time favourite comedies. To this day my best friend and I constantly quote it.

Critter

« Reply #117 on: November 14, 2010, 11:30:15 PM »
Lost and Delirious was great but very depressing. I love Mischa Barton in it. In fact it's one of the only things I have actually liked her in.

Dr. Hasslein

« Reply #118 on: November 14, 2010, 11:33:46 PM »
I've seen Wild Things but I wouldn't call that a lesbian movie.

Offline goodguy

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: November 15, 2010, 12:44:11 AM »
Lost and Delirious was great but very depressing. I love Mischa Barton in it. In fact it's one of the only things I have actually liked her in.

Also (as I don't get tired to say), the best thing Piper Perabo has ever done. And on a side note, there is a difference between tragic and depressing. IMHO, Lost and Delirious is the former, but certainly not the latter.
Matthias