Author Topic: Riches Random Reviews  (Read 384258 times)

richierich

Re: Riches Random Reviews
« Reply #225 on: May 17, 2009, 12:10:48 AM »
The Wrestler

Mickey Rourke gives the performance of a lifetime as pro wrestler Randy "The Ram" Robinson, a former superstar now paying the price for twenty years of grueling punishment in and out of the ring. But he's about to risk everything to prove he has one more match left in him: a re-staging of his famous Madison Square Garden bout against "The Ayatollah." Darren Aronofsky directs a powerful cast in this action-packed saga of guts, glory and gritty determination that is "as irresistible as a headlock" (New York Post).

Gritty, enlightening view of the wrestling world away from the glitzy shows you see on television.
Rourke's performance is absolutely incredible, for a written off actor to deliver such an amazing portrayal is astonishing, and his character is so brilliantly portrayed you find it painful to witness his fall from grace and his day to day survival. Tomei also puts in a first class (and sexy) performance as a tired and bitter stripper, her downfall mirroring the Rams.
With a superb soundtrack, moving storyline, frightening insight into the wrestling world and it's drug enhanced performers, dark humour and in-depth character portrayals, this is an absolute must see for everyone. I cannot recommend it highly enough.
 :thumbup:
« Last Edit: May 17, 2009, 03:37:37 PM by Rich »

richierich

« Reply #226 on: May 17, 2009, 03:43:11 PM »
September Dawn

Academy Award® winner Jon Voight (Best Actor, 'Coming Home', 1978), Terence Stamp and Trent Ford star in this film based on the true story of the Mountain meadows Massacre -- the brutal murder of 120 men, women and children on September 11, 1857, as their wagon train passed through Utah on its way to California. The question of whether the attack was carried out by local Paiute Indians or by a renegade sect of the Mormon church remains unresolved to this day.
Set against the breathtaking beauty of the Utah mountains, 'September Dawn' explores what might have happened when the ill-fated settlers stopped near Cedar City to rest before completing the last leg of their journey. Local Mormon Bishop Jacob Samuelson (Vought) is suspicious of the group, so he dispatches his eldest son Jonathan (Ford) to spy on them. Jonathan soon falls in love with an angelic member of the wagon train, the minister's daughter Emily (Tamara Hope), and is horrified when he discovers that his father thinks the settlers are enemies of the church and is planning an attack on them.
While Jonathan makes plans to escape with Emily, his father sets in motion a chain of events, fueled by revenge and fanaticism, which culminates in a violent and tragic ambush.

Staggeringly based on a true story, it is hard to imagine how any man, in any moment of history, could have partaken in such a slaughter. Having read a bit more on the subject it is a bit biased, but if you can ignore a sloppy and fictitious love angle in the movie it is highly enjoyable.
A film with substance and some solid acting performances, notably Voight and Shaun Johnston, this is a skilful portrayal of a delicate subject. You are compelled to watch as the story unravels, culminating in a heinous crime supposedly ordained by gods will.
Fascinating viewing and given the cheap prices this can be picked up for, a true bargain.
 ;D

« Last Edit: May 18, 2009, 11:16:14 PM by Rich »

Najemikon

« Reply #227 on: May 17, 2009, 04:41:38 PM »
The Wrestler

Mickey Rourke gives the performance of a lifetime as pro wrestler Randy "The Ram" Robinson, a former superstar now paying the price for twenty years of grueling punishment in and out of the ring. But he's about to risk everything to prove he has one more match left in him: a re-staging of his famous Madison Square Garden bout against "The Ayatollah." Darren Aronofsky directs a powerful cast in this action-packed saga of guts, glory and gritty determination that is "as irresistible as a headlock" (New York Post).

Gritty, enlightening view of the wrestling world away from the glitzy shows you see on television.
Rourke's performance is absolutely incredible, for a written off actor to deliver such an amazing portrayal is astonishing, and his character is so brilliantly portrayed you find it painful to witness his fall from grace and his day to day survival. Tomei also puts in a first class (and sexy) performance as a tired and bitter stripper, her downfall mirroring the Rams.
With a superb soundtrack, moving storyline, frightening insight into the wrestling world and it's drug enhanced performers, dark humour and in-depth character portrayals, this is an absolute must see for everyone. I cannot recommend it highly enough.

I'm really looking forward to catching up with this one. Yet to hear a bad word, plus Marisa Tomei is probably my favourite actress and never gets enough work. She's adorable and talented.

Touti

« Reply #228 on: May 17, 2009, 04:43:49 PM »
September Dawn

Academy Award® winner Jon Voight (Best Actor, 'Coming Home', 1978), Terence Stamp and Trent Ford star in this film based on the true story of the Mountain meadows Massacre -- the brutal murder of 120 men, women and children on September 11, 1857, as their wagon train passed through Utah on its way to California. The question of whether the attack was carried out by local Paiute Indians or by a renegade sect of the Mormon church remains unresolved to this day.
Set against the breathtaking beauty of the Utah mountains, 'September Dawn' explores what might have happened when the ill-fated settlers stopped near Cedar City to rest before completing the last leg of their journey. Local Mormon Bishop Jacob Samuelson (Vought) is suspicious of the group, so he dispatches his eldest son Jonathan (Ford) to spy on them. Jonathan soon falls in love with an angelic member of the wagon train, the minister's daughter Emily (Tamara Hope), and is horrified when he discovers that his father thinks the settlers are enemies of the church and is planning an attack on them.
While Jonathan makes plans to escape with Emily, his father sets in motion a chain of events, fueled by revenge and fanaticism, which culminates in a violent and tragic ambush.

Rich I'm looking forward to your comments on this movie, I really loved it.

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: May 17, 2009, 06:29:35 PM »
The Wrestler

Glad to read another good review for this film. I was ready to bought it at the release day, but the studio had decided to laugh of us here (more than 20$ for a DVD with absolutly no extra). I just wait for a dvd deserving of the name to add it to my collection.

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
« Reply #230 on: May 17, 2009, 07:17:31 PM »
I'm really looking forward to catching up with this one. Yet to hear a bad word, plus Marisa Tomei is probably my favourite actress and never gets enough work. She's adorable and talented.

Marisa Tomei is also the reason, that this movie is already on my wishlist. As soon the British Blu-ray is released and drops below 10 pounds, it will be mine :)

richierich

« Reply #231 on: May 18, 2009, 11:21:32 PM »

September Dawn
Rich I'm looking forward to your comments on this movie, I really loved it.

Review done Eric, I also enjoyed it  :thumbup:

richierich

« Reply #232 on: May 18, 2009, 11:26:16 PM »
The Heartbreak Kid

Ben Stiller stars as Eddie, the 40-year-old confirmed bachelor who finally says "I do" to the beautiful and sexy Lila (Malin Akerman). But during their honeymoon in Mexico, the woman of his dreams turns out to be a total nightmare, and the guy who could never pull the trigger realizes he's jumped the gun. Take home the Farrelly Brothers' hysterical twist on boy-meets-girl, The Heartbreak Kid, and prepare to have a blast!

Fluff movie but with several gut wrenchingly laugh out loud moments to keep it above the politically incorrect humour gutter. Stiller is typecast yet again by the Farrelly brothers as the bumbling unlucky in love male lead, and the chemistry between the leads was never too convincing. It is overly long and the storyline struggled to fill the gaps, but the grossness and cringeworthy scenes manage to keep a smile often enough on ones face to enjoy it.
Not a masterpiece but about what I expected.
 :D

« Last Edit: May 18, 2009, 11:38:22 PM by Rich »

richierich

« Reply #233 on: May 18, 2009, 11:52:30 PM »
We Own The Night

What if your own family stood in the way of everything you worked for? Bobby Green (Joaquin Phoenix) has forsaken his name to escape his family and their tradition in law enforcement to pursue his ambitions as a Brooklyn nightclub owner. As he turns a blind eye to the drug dealers around him, he comes face to face with the family he abandoned when his brother (Mark Wahlberg) and father (Robert Duvall) crack down on the club. Now Bobby must choose a side. Is he going to turn informant or will he help run the biggest crime ring in New York history?

A great film which slipped under the radar, with some stand out performances, particularly from Phoenix. He portrays the torn, angry and disillusioned night club owner brilliantly, and you feel by the 2nd half of the film you understand his character perfectly. It's great 80's soundtrack, gritty storyline and fitting climax made this film well above average, it is quite long but the time seemed to slip past.
The only major downside was Wahlberg, who's paralysed facial expression acting style, which works in some films, definately does not work in this movie and I was disappointed with his performance.
 ;D

richierich

« Reply #234 on: May 19, 2009, 12:23:00 AM »
Pushing Tin

In the tradition of 'Grosse Pointe Blank' comes an unconventional comedy about two air traffic controllers whose intense rivalry and penchant for one-upmanship causes hilarious havoc with their careers, their marriages - and the planes in their airspace!
Nick Falzone (John Cusack) is the busiest, and the best, air traffic controller on Long Island - until Russell Bell (Billy Bob Thornton) roars into town like a motorcycle-riding cowboy. Fuelled by caffeine and machismo, the two men embark upon an uproarious contest of wit and wills that can ultimately only have one winner. Co-starring Cate Blanchett and Angelina Jolie, 'Pushing Tin' is "One of a kind... a high-flying, free-spirited, wildly funny blast of originality." (CBS-TV)

Comedy revolving around air traffic controllers which quickly meandered into an uneven tale of male rivalry. Sharp dialogue and some entertaining scenes, including the runway jetstream shot, do not make up for a poorly fitting cast and weak character development. BBT is interesting at first, but his inner being and reasons for his aloof demeanour are never explained fully, Cusack is unsympahetic to the role, and Jolie tries too hard in an undemanding position.
Despite a good opening the film is an anti-climax, the promise of a dramatic finale is lost in a too intense voyage in stress and marital problems.
I cannot recommend this film unless you buy it very cheaply and have a major interest in aircraft controllers!
 :-\
« Last Edit: May 19, 2009, 11:50:22 PM by Rich »

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: May 19, 2009, 09:26:05 AM »
Pushing Tin
I remember catching some of this on TV one day (quite a while ago). The scene I still remember the most to this day is the one on the runway (you'll know when you see it). Also, the climax at the end is quite exciting. (I hope this is not already considered spoilerific...) Depending your review I may want to look this up on DVD...

richierich

« Reply #236 on: May 20, 2009, 12:10:04 AM »
Valkyrie

"Tom Cruise gives one of the best performances of his career" (Jeffrey Lyons, NBC/Reel Talk) in this action-packed film from the director of The Usual Suspects and X-Men. Based on the incredible true story of Colonel Claus von Stauffenberg (Cruise) and his ingenious assassination plot targeting Adolph Hitler, this engrossing thriller reenacts the daring operation to eliminate one of the most evil tyrants the world has ever known. Co-starring Kenneth Branagh, Bill Nighy, Tom Wilkinson, Terence Stamp and Eddie Izzard, Valkyrie delivers gripping suspense and pulse-pounding excitement from start to finish!

Despite poor critical reviews I had read of this film, I thoroughly enjoyed it.
History paints a slightly different picture of nazi Colonel Von Stauffenburg (played by Cruise), he wasn't such a well meaning and untarnished hero as Hollywood gloss team would have you believe. However for the sake of entertainment the movie works well as a stand alone thriller, a complicated and dangerous plan that could so easily have worked in killing Hitler.
Some solid performances from Stamp, Brannagh and particularly Bill Nighy, help Cruise in one of his most convincing portrayals. However I couldn't understand why anyone would cast Eddie Izzard as a nazi, it just came across as a drag queen wearing a german army uniform! David Bamber's brief menancing role as Hitler was chilling.
Excellent adventure and well worth watching, I will view this film again and there is no better recommendation.
 ;D
« Last Edit: May 20, 2009, 12:12:32 AM by Rich »

richierich

« Reply #237 on: May 20, 2009, 12:15:37 AM »
Licence To Kill

James Bond (Timothy Dalton) takes on his most daring adventure ever when he turns renegade and goes head to head with one of the international drug cartel’s most brutal and powerful leaders. This time, he’s fighting not for country, not for justice…but for revenge!

This is possibly the worst 007 film for me, Dalton is a disappointing lead, there are few moments of humourous respite, M has aged badly into the role, and the Moneypenny used in last 2 films is ill-fitting. The darker side of Bond is attempted here perhaps paving the way for Daniel Craigs portrayal, with his pursuit of revenge whilst renegade from the service. There are good stunts and a convincing villain in Robert Davi, and thank god Q made an impromptu appearance.
However I found this predictable, too far away from my ideal James Bond mould, and with a 2nd rate casting.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2009, 02:59:36 PM by Rich »

richierich

« Reply #238 on: May 20, 2009, 03:11:54 PM »
Cujo

In a bizarre case of nature versus humanity, a Saint Bernard infected with rabies by a diseased bat attacks a mother and her son. When the family becomes trapped in their car, they must depend on their wits to defeat the crazed canine.
Based on Stephen King's novel about a new England family beset by a murderous terror: the family dog.

Low budget adaptation, never quite reaching the tension/horror achieved in the original novel. The whole movie felt very dated, although the acting was fairly solid. Unfortunately a lot of what King writes can never be transposed on film, such as this case where you do not benefit with what the dog was thinking. In addition when a dogs tail is wagging furiously it is because they are happy, so when it is doing that whilst supposedly in a murderous rabid killing rage it spoils the effect.
A poor ending, and a dog you only felt sympathy for and not fear, makes this a miss.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2009, 09:02:42 PM by Rich »

richierich

« Reply #239 on: May 20, 2009, 09:06:21 PM »
Deuces Wild

Stephen Dorff ('Blade'), Brad Renfro ('Ghost World'), Fairuza Balk ('American History X'), Frankie Muniz ('Malcolm in the Middle') and Drea DeMatteo ('The Sopranos') star in this stylish, tough and sexy gang drama that vividly captures the tumultuous passion and brutal violence that pervaded New York in the late 1950s.
In the sweltering summer of 1958, the Deuces, a gang of Brooklyn toughs, find their turf threatened when the leader of a rival gang, the Vipers, is released from prison. Leon (Dorff), the Deuce's leader, tries to guide his boys through bloody brawls to keep the Vipers out. But when his brother (Renfro) falls into a sultry - and dangerous - relationship with Annie (Balk), the sister of a Viper, and his own girlfriend is brutally attacked, Leon and his gang are plunged into an all out war to save his brother, his girl - and his neighborhood!

2nd time of watching, and this remains a bit of a disjointed and average film. Some good charismatic performances from the leads, and the storyline moves along swiftly enough. The violence within the fights is fairly graphic, albeit a bit unrealistic for streetfights, and the romance within the film is not too drippy. But as a whole it just wasn't gritty enough for a gangster film to suit my taste, such as the excellent Goodfellas or Scarface.
Best way I could describe it is a harder edged West Side Story without the music and dance.
 :D
« Last Edit: May 20, 2009, 11:26:08 PM by Rich »