Author Topic: Rio Bravo  (Read 1755 times)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Rio Bravo
« on: October 25, 2007, 01:37:10 AM »

Rio Bravo
On one side is an army of gunmen dead-set on springing a murderous sidekick from jail. On the other is Sheriff John T. Chance and his two deputies: one a drunk, the other a cripple. Place your bets.

John Wayne is Chance in 'Rio Bravo', a lean Western classic packing solid heroics and a strong emotional core. He's joined by Dean Martin as the deputy coming off a two-year drunk, Walter Brennan as the old coot whose spirit outmatches his hobbled stride. Ricky Nelson as a youth out to prove himself and Angie Dickinson as the scarlet woman with her eye on Chance. Director Howard Hawks lifted the Western to new heights with 'Red River'. Capturing the legendary West with a stellar cast in peak form, he does it again here.

My Thoughts:
Since a good friend of mine sent this movie recently... and I promised him I would watch it soon... this evening I watched Rio Bravo for the very first time. Let me tell you... it has to be one of the very best westerns I have ever seen! Rio Bravo stars John Wayne, Dean Martin and Ricky Nelson.

This movie is surprisingly long... clocking in at 2hours and 21minutes. But let me tell you... you would never know it while you are sitting there watching it. The time just flies by... and before you know it you are at the end of the movie. As much as I liked The Duke in the role of Chance... I absolutely loved Walter Brennen as Stumpy.... he was just absolutely hilarious... a few times I was interrupted because someone in the house wanted to know what I was laughing at so hard! Though I must admit I was surprised and found myself laughing at John Wayne when he playfully kissed Walter Brennen on top of his head.

Anyway... like I was saying... this was an excellent Western... one of the best I have ever seen. And I am sure it is one that will get plenty of play between my family and myself.
Pete

Halo2

Re: Rio Bravo
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2007, 07:56:07 AM »
'Rio Brovo' came out in 1959, later in 1970, Howard Hawks and John Wayne teamed up to retell the story with a differnet cast and a slightly different stroy line in 'Rio Lobo'. It clocks in a 1:54 Check it out if you get a chance. Below is the plot synopsis from IMDB.

Col. Cord McNally an ex union officer teams up with a couple of ex Johnny Rebs to search for the traitor who sold information to the South during the Civil War. Their quest brings them to the town of Rio Lobo where they help recover this little Texas town from ruthless outlaws who are led by the traitor they were looking for.

During the Civil War the Union Army's gold was being stolen by a band of Confederate Soldiers. When the protoge of Colonel Cord McNally is killed during one of their raids he tracks them down but is captured. The leader Captain Pierre Cordona wants the Colonel to lead them away but instead leads them into their territory and captures Cordona and his Sergeant, Tuscarora. He knows that the only way they could get away with their raids is if they had inside information, which someone from the Union Army gave them. They refuse to tell McNally anything and are imprisoned. When the War ends McNally visits them and asks them to tell him who they got their information from but unfortunately they don't know who they are. Tuscarora is on his way to Rio Lobo, Texas where he grew up. McNally then tells them that if they should ever come across them again to contact him through a friend of his who is a Sheriff in Texas. Later McNally is contacted by the Sheriff on instructions from Cardona, but when he arrives Cardona's indisposed so while they are waiting, a woman arrives and wants to report to the sheriff a murder that took place in Rio Lobo but the Sheriff claims that there's nothing he can do. Later a posse from Rio Lobo arrives and wants to take the woman away but she claims that the leader is the killer she is talking about. Later a gunfight ensues with Cardona joining in. And he says that the leader is one of the men that McNally is looking for. He then tells him that Tuscarora contacted and told him that he saw one of the men the Colonel is looking for whom the assumed is the one who was killed, and that there is trouble in Rio Lobo and he needs help. So McNally, Cordona, and the girl go to Rio Lobo, and they discover all sorts of graft and corruption going on.

Najemikon

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2007, 10:03:45 AM »
Glad you enjoyed Rio Bravo, Pete. It's always been one of my favourite films. Howard Hawks was a marvellous director; it isn't funny, but you might enjoy Red River.

As Halo has mentioned, he made the story again in Rio Lobo. In fact, he made it 3 times and 1966s El Dorado is pretty much identical. Robert Mitchum took the role of the drunk sheriff, while James Caan played Mississippi for Ricky Nelson's Colorado. There's not much to choose between them! I plump for Bravo because it was first and I think Dean Martin just pips Robert Mitchum for the drunk...

EDIT: I've just upgraded my Rio Bravo. A two disc special sniny-new edition is on its way. :P

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2007, 10:39:20 AM »
Isn't El Dorado the one where James Caan can't shoot a gun but has great skills with a knife? IIRC that is different to Rio Bravo, so while watching Rio Bravo not too long ago I was always waiting for Ricky to pull out the knife :laugh:

...and if I am correct on both accounts, I'll have to add El Dorado to my Wish List.

Najemikon

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2007, 12:02:13 PM »
I think you're right. It's ages since I saw El Dorado. The other slight difference is that John Wayne is a Marshall, visiting the town where his old [drunk] friend is Sheriff. I think I prefer the Rio Bravo set-up with the sad angle that Chance has been carrying his deputy.

But knifes and Marshall's don't make any substansial difference when some scenes are repeated almost shot for shot! They're all great films. Apart from a slightly convenient ending, Red River is one of the very best westerns.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2007, 03:22:20 PM »
hey everyone... Thanks for the other movie suggestions!  ;D
Pete