Author Topic: Month-Long Horror/Halloween Marathon  (Read 136356 times)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Re: Month-Long Horror/Halloween Marathon
« Reply #150 on: October 29, 2007, 12:22:41 PM »

Title: Stephen King's Silver Bullet
Movie Count: 81
TV Ep Count: 29
Time Started: 5:30am
Plot:
Something is killing off townsfolk in Tarker's Mills. Something mysterious. Something ingenious. Something remotely human. But the only person in town with the courage to stop this lurking menace is a 13-year-old boy, confined to a wheelchair since birth. Adapted to the screen by suspense master Stephen King from his "Cycle of the Werewolf" novelette, this exhilarating thriller features astounding special effects by three-time OscarĀ® winner Carlo Rambaldi ("E.T.," "Alien," "King Kong").

My Thoughts:
I have loved it since I first saw it when I was just a teen. I absolutely love the supped up wheel chair... The Silver Bullet! I believe Stephen King's take on the werewolf legend is just right on the spot. There was nothing about this movie that was not just plain enjoyable. Unfortunately this is just a bare bones DVD... no extras what so ever. I would love to see it re-released as a special edition.... but I am starting to doubt that will actually happen.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: October 30, 2007, 08:39:51 PM »

Title: The Blob
Movie Count: 82
TV Ep Count: 29
Time Started: 1pm
Plot:
THE BLOB has returned in this horrific tale about a vile, malignant life-form that crashes to earth in a cozy, rural American town called Arborville. Untroubled by conscience or intellect, the Blob does only one thing - and it does it well. It eats anything and everything that moves: men, women, children. And tonight it wants to swallow Arborville whole. The original version of THE BLOB thrilled and terrified audiences back in the 1950s. Now the oozing, gooey killer is back with a whole new high-tech look. What was once only suggested now comes to life in this visually gut-wrenching thriller in the tradition of such classic remakes as 'The Thing' and 'The Fly'.

My Thoughts:
I know this is a remake of an old B&W Horror movie... to my memory I never seen the original... but going by this movie I would like to.  This movie could definitely be better.... but I enjoyed it quite a bit.  The effects are hit and miss... some of them are rather cool... even to the point of gross. Others are very cheesy and cheap looking. The only extra on the DVD is the trailer.
Pete

Najemikon

« Reply #152 on: October 30, 2007, 08:53:44 PM »
The original Blob is a proper b-movie. Made when b-movies were so called because they were b-movies, not because the producers were trying to be ironic. It's also notable for being (I think) the first role for the great Steve McQueen.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: October 31, 2007, 12:31:36 AM »
Thanks Jon... it is on my list to check out. :)
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: October 31, 2007, 12:34:28 AM »

Title: Bewitched: The Witches Are Out
TV Ep Count: 30
Time Started: 7pm
Plot:
Samantha does not like Halloween because of the image that people have of witches: Ugly, mean, and Wicked. Samantha tries to get Darrin to see her way when he is working on a candy account. Mr. Brinkman wants to use the traditional witch while Darrin displays a beautiful, more glamorous witch.

My Thoughts:
This was a fun episode... I enjoyed it a lot. Endora was not in this episode. They said the left the country till the Halloween Season has passed.  I think it is a bit odd... in the first season they made it so they disliked Halloween... but if I am not mistaken... in future years they made a big deal about Halloween and they (including Endora) had big Halloween parties. So even if they are not consistant... they are always good episodes.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: October 31, 2007, 01:23:38 AM »

Title: Bewitched: Trick or Treat
TV Ep Count: 31
Time Started: 7:30pm
Plot:
When Darrin refuses to let Samantha go to a witches' Halloween ceremony, Endora turns him into a werewolf.

My Thoughts:
So far they still treat Halloween as something they don't like... but I still think I remember in later years that they go in the opposite direction on that. This episode was really good.. I liked that wolfman costume they had Dick York wear... looked great. 
« Last Edit: October 31, 2007, 01:26:35 AM by addicted2dvd »
Pete

lyonsden5

« Reply #156 on: October 31, 2007, 12:30:41 PM »
Pete - you've outdone yourself this year. Not only watching so many but reviewing each one. Kudos to you sir.  :cheers:

Any big plans for the last day?

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: October 31, 2007, 01:04:52 PM »
Thanks Rick... unfortunately only small plans for the last day... as I will be gone half the day... my daughter has a couple appointments she has to be at this afternoon. But I hope to do at least 1 more movie and a few TV Episodes before the day is over.
Pete

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: October 31, 2007, 03:09:24 PM »
But I hope to do at least 1 more movie and a few TV Episodes before the day is over.
You should! Come on, it's the Halloween Marathon, so you NEED to watch at least one film on Halloween... :bat:

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: October 31, 2007, 03:10:17 PM »

Title: 13 Ghosts
Movie Count: 83
TV Ep Count: 31
Time Started: 8:30am
Plot:
It's 13 GHOSTS, a ghoulish fright-fest from producer/director William Castle. When an eccentric uncle wills a huge, ramshackle house to Cyrus (Donald Woods) and his impoverished family, they get the shock of a lifetime. Their new residence comes complete with a spooky housekeeper, Elaine (Margaret Hamilton), plus a fortune in buried treasure and 12 horrifying ghosts. As the terrified family soon discovers, these haunting ectoplasms include a decapitated man, a wailing lady and a flaming skeleton, who are held captive in the eerie house and must find an unlucky 13th to free them! Who'll be the final victim of these ghostly shenanigans?

'See for yourself-if you dare!'

My Thoughts:
Classic horror from the great William Castle. This is a good story... though like most classic horror those that are used to or prefer the modern horror movies will find this one is not much compared to today's horror... but held in it's own right is a very good movie. I've recently (within the last handful of years) that classic horror has a lot to offer the true movie fan. I am now trying to raise my daughter to be a true fan of movies... and all the time watching classic black and white movies with her. As I did with this movie... since she is home from school today we watched this together... and both enjoyed it very much.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: October 31, 2007, 03:11:37 PM »
But I hope to do at least 1 more movie and a few TV Episodes before the day is over.
You should! Come on, it's the Halloween Marathon, so you NEED to watch at least one film on Halloween... :bat:

But of course! I had too!
Pete

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: October 31, 2007, 03:16:14 PM »
But of course! I had too!
:hysterical: You posted your review barely one minute after my post! :thundergod:

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: October 31, 2007, 03:58:15 PM »

Title: Blue Collar TV: Halloween
TV Ep Count: 32
Time Started: 10:15am
Plot:
Sketch Comedy... Redneck Style. Sketches include: Extreme Makeover / Big Kids Halloween / Rednecks Gone Wild / Tacketts Halloween

My Thoughts:
Yes... where I live there is many rednecks... and I do believe some of that rubbed off on me... as I find this show just hilarious! And this is one of my favorite episodes in the first boxset release. I think my favorite sketch in this episode would have to be Big Kids Halloween. It is so true in it's comedy that it reminds me of when I used to take my little girl Trick or Treating. Which she seems to have grown out of... as she now prefers to hand out candy at her grandmother's house instead of going out herself. Of course her grandmother makes sure she has plenty of Halloween Candy anyway.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: October 31, 2007, 05:00:53 PM »

Title: Sabrina the Teenage Witch: A Halloween Story
TV Ep Count: 33
Time Started: 11am
Plot:
Since she has to go to an event with her aunts, Sabrina makes a clone of herself in order to keep Libby away from Harvey at his Halloween party.

My Thoughts:
This was a fun season 1 episode. Another show that I watched with my daughter today.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: October 31, 2007, 10:09:34 PM »

Title: Everybody Loves Raymond: Halloween Candy
TV Ep Count: 34
Time Started: 4:30pm
Plot:
After Debra suggests that she might be more consistently romantic if she weren't in charge of the birth control, Ray decides to make the drastic move of "cutting the wires." But after a discussion with Robert, and other top "medical experts" he chickens out, but does muster enough bravery to go to the drugstore and buy "the stuff." He even goes crazy and splurges on "the rainbow pack" but the plan for Halloween romance goes awry when Grandpa distributes the "chocolate coins in brightly colored wrappers" that he found to the remaining trick-or-treaters in the neighborhood.

My Thoughts:
This is one of my all-time favorite episodes of "Everybody Loves Raymond"... not only is it a hilarious Halloween episode... what with the confusion of the candy... but I loved the nod to Peter Boyle's past movie (Young Frankenstein) what with him having a Frankenstein... what would you call it... hat? head piece? whatever.  A great episode that I just had to fit in today!
Pete