Author Topic: Trip to Walmart  (Read 9412 times)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Trip to Walmart
« on: August 05, 2007, 08:36:50 PM »
Well... I went to Walmart today... and I am afraid I went a little overboard on some new movies! I ordered...

Demonic
Tom Savini (Land of the Living Dead) leads a terrifying trip into the darkness of desire...when five beautiful and deadly creature who seduce unsuspecting victims to their death.

I never seen this movie before... but Tom Savini is in it... and I knew if I didn't get it my friend Tammy would have killed me! LOL... really though... I thought of her when I saw it... and what with it being under $10 I figured why not! :p)

The Messengers
Desperate for a fresh start after a tough two years in Chicago, the Solomon family retreats to a desolate sunflower farm in North Dakota. But the calm of farm life is shattered when 16-year-old Jess (Kristen Stewart) and her 3-year-old brother Ben begin to see nightmarish apparitions throughout their new home - visions that nobody else can see. As the visions grow darker, they become fear-inspiring experiences and Jess' parents (Dylan McDermott and Penelope Ann Miller) start to question their daughter's sanity. Now, Jess must find a way to save her family and win a battle with forces from far beyond the grave.

This one I seen the trailer of... and the trailer looked awesome! I can't wait to check it out!

Mortuary
The director of 'The Texas Chainsaw Massacre', 'Poltergeist', and 'Toolbox Murders' is back with his latest horrifying creation...

In the small town of Santa Loraina, California, the decrepit, long-abandoned Fowler Funeral Home has become a local legend. As the story tells it, Zeb Fowler bought the land to start up a ranching business, but something killed off all the cattle. To make ends meet, Zeb became the town mortician, and the Fowler house was turned into a funeral home - complete with a cemetery for a yard. But the strangest part of the story is the Fowler's son Bobby, whose face was so hideously disfigured it was hidden beneath a burial shroud. At age eight, Bobby mysteriously vanished, and ten years later his parents were found murdered - their faces smashed in. Locals believe that Bobby is still alive.

Today, the Fowler Funeral Home is the stuff nightmares are made of - backed-up sewage pooling the yard, a house of filth, decay, coffins, embalming equipment, and a strange black fungus growing on everything - and now the Doyle family is moving in.

Having recently lost her husband, Leslie Doyle (Denise Crosby) is relocating her two children, Jonathan (Dan Byrd) and Jamie (Stephanie Patton), to Santa Loraina so she can become the town's new mortician. But the Doyles have no idea of the horror that they're in for. Soon they'll uncover what happened to the Fowlers - what evil inhabits the grounds of the estate and what happens to anyone who steps foot there....

I don't know anything about this one... but It says it is a Tobe Hooper movie... and I like him... plus it was under $10 so figured why not? :p)

Premonition
Linda Hanson (Sandra Bullock) has a beautiful house, a loving husband and two adorable daughters. Her life is perfect, until the day she gets the devastating news that her husband Jim (Julian McMahon) has died in a car accident. When she wakes up the next morning to find him alive and well, she assumes it was all a dream. Or was it? Suddenly, her perfect life is turned upside down as she begins a desperate scramble to save her family and uncover the truth. Racing against time and fate, Linda will stop at nothing to discover the true meanings of reality and destiny.

This one I also seen the trailer for... and it looked pretty good. Another one I am looking forward to checking out... but may save it for my next Sandra Bullock marathon so I have a new one to watch then. :)

The Return
Sarah Michelle Gellar ('The Grudge') stars in this shocking, non-stop supernatural thriller unlike anything you've ever experienced before. Joanna Mills (Gellar) is haunted by increasingly terrifying visions where she can see and feel the brutal murder of a woman she's never met. With her life spiraling out-of-control, she follows the relentless nightmares to an eerie small town in Texas - a place where secrets can't be buried, a spirit seeks vengeance, and the horrific murder from Joanna's visions may just be her own.

I really know nothing about this one... basically bought it on the strength of Sara Michelle Geller alone.

Zodiac
Based on the true story of the notorious serial killer and the intense manhunt he inspired, 'Zodiac' is a superbly crafted thriller from the director of 'Se7en' and 'Panic Room'. Featuring an outstanding ensemble cast led by Jake Gyllenhaal, Robert Downey Jr., Mark Ruffalo and Chloƫ Sevigny, 'Zodiac' is a searing and singularly haunting examination of twin obessions: one man's desire to kill and another's quest for the truth.

This is another one I know nothing about... I never even seen the trailer for it... but heard a lot of people say that it was really good... and my brother suggested it... so figured why not?

Has anyone here seen any of these?... think I will be disappointed in any of them?
Pete

SailorRipley

Re: Trip to Walmart
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2007, 09:03:02 PM »
Well, I haven't seen any of these, except for Zodiac now, which is absolutely great!

I've read some terrible reviews about the others, though. Premonition and Mortuary in particular. But since you are a horror film completist they should be cool :) I'll get them if I find them cheap.  :thumbup:

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2007, 09:22:17 PM »
Zodiac hasn't been shown in cinemas around here.

And Wal-Mart has closed all its stores in germany. When it comes to buying business german and american behaviours are different.
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2007, 09:35:59 PM »
Well, I haven't seen any of these, except for Zodiac now, which is absolutely great!

I've read some terrible reviews about the others, though. Premonition and Mortuary in particular. But since you are a horror film completist they should be cool :) I'll get them if I find them cheap.  :thumbup:

Thanks...
I don't tend to enjoy more movies then reviewers seem to... so I am not too concerned... but am going to be sure to watch them with an open mind.
Pete

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2007, 11:02:08 PM »
And Wal-Mart has closed all its stores in germany.

That is interesting because Wal-Mart keeps expanding where I live; they file law suits to force themselves on communities that do not want them. I wonder what Germany has done right, IMO, to get rid of them.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2007, 04:43:33 AM »
I'd like to know about The Messengers once you see it.

IIRC it's by the Pang Brothers...? You know, the guys from Hong Kong who made the The Eye series and one or two other films... Supposedly the quality has fallen with their first American movie.

If you don't mind Asian horror, The Eye would be one if the films I'd recommend.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2007, 10:29:54 AM »
Will be sure to let you all know what I think of it :)

I can't check my disc at the moment... damn light bulb blew out this morning and wouldn't you know we are all out! : :P but according to wikipedia The Pang Brothers did indeed do The Messengers,

I am going to try to get to it here real soon... and when I do I will be sure to do a review for it. :) I do know that the trailer looked good for it. :)
Pete

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2007, 02:50:36 PM »
Looked up the trailer at Apple. Looks indeed quite interesting. I noticed that Sam Raimi is the/a producer; knowing that he likes Asian horror, we have something here after all :)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2007, 05:39:48 PM »
I just finished watching it... and about to post my review for it on the review board. :)
Pete

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2007, 03:23:17 AM »
Read the review... Well, it seems the Pang Brothers have lost some of their gusto then; you still thought it's good, but not what it could have been. So, well done, but not fresh, I reckon.

As my Wish List is way bigger than what I could purchase in the next years, I'll skip on this one.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2007, 11:23:18 AM »
I would say if you get the chance to rent it and see what you think.

I think you put my thoughts into words well when you said...
"well done, but not fresh."

Of course as excited as I originally was about this one (the trailer looked awesome!)... I could have just expected much more then I should have been... if that makes any sense. :P
Pete

TheMovieman

« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2007, 04:51:53 AM »
My trips to Wal Mart consist of digging through their dump bin. Been looking for the 2-disc version (as so many others around the US have had) of Escape from NY but my area (all 3 WMs) only had the barebones 1-disc version. I did grab Playmakers (Complete Series) for $5, so good deal. Be sure to look in the bin and the racks for it as all of them seem to have that price.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2007, 01:15:23 PM »
I did check the bin while I was there.... but our bin really sucks around here! They never put anything decent in it... that or I always get there at the wrong time... and it was already picked over.
Pete

TheMovieman

« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2007, 06:45:48 AM »
The one across town only uses half the bin, the other side is filled with candy so you'll get empty boxes of candy with the DVDs (don't know how, but I guess someone just opens a box and starts eating while going through the bin?)

I read that WM makes these bins a mess (rather than having them neatly aligned) because it draws out the "bargain hunters" in people. Personally, it pisses me off trying to dig through and passing 20,000 copies of some crappy Willie Nelson movie or some POS Pirates of the Caribbean ripoff; I swear, there must've been at least 50 copies of "Blackbeard".

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2007, 08:47:34 AM »
I read that WM makes these bins a mess (rather than having them neatly aligned) because it draws out the "bargain hunters" in people. Personally, it pisses me off trying to dig through and passing 20,000 copies of some crappy Willie Nelson movie or some POS Pirates of the Caribbean ripoff; I swear, there must've been at least 50 copies of "Blackbeard".
That is the reason I never browse through such bins or containers. If they are presented in such a cheap way I won't spend precious time to get through that mess. Even if I miss maybe (but I seriously doubt it) a real bargin.
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools