Author Topic: A daunting task  (Read 2531 times)

Touti

A daunting task
« on: June 27, 2008, 02:13:24 AM »
This [supposed to be raining] week-end I'm gonna attempt a complete reclassification of the Genres of my movies and reordering the dvd's themselves on my shelves.

I used to pur them in alphabetical order but it's becoming a real pain having to move them around every time I get new ones.

I'm gonna verify and, when necessary, change the 1st genre of each movie in my collection and then group them by alphabetically within each genre.  In theory that should lower the amount of moving around I have to do when I get new movies.

Halo2

Re: A daunting task
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2008, 05:37:54 AM »
Ah, but what satisfaction when you are done! That's the way I've always done it and why my movies only have one genre. I'm afraid if I hadn't been doing it that way all along and changed to it now, it would take me more than just a weekend....

:stars:

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2008, 06:13:32 AM »
For about 3 years now I have the first 250 DVD in my collection according their collection number. Need to look in the program to find one, but then it's quick and painless. The other 800 DVDs, however, are in random order. Some discs I have memorized where they are somehow, other sections are in "blocks" (e.g. Criterion, Box Sets). I have occasionally taken up to 10 minutes to locate a disc. Once or twice I actually gave up the search :bag:

I want to go back to alphabetical, but need to buy two Billys before that... :surrender: Then it'll be a day's work, I think. I don't think I could get myself to order by genre. I would have some blocks by "theme" though (Criterion, some directors, etc.)

Life was easier when I still had less than 500 :headscratch:

RossRoy

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2008, 06:17:14 AM »
I had done that once, giving only 1 genre to every movie. And then I went and made a terrible blunder: blindly accepting over 800 profile updates. It messed up the whole thing (and I didn't have a backup, at the time  :bag:). And now, with over 1800 profiles, I just won't do it.

Although I might be forced to. My collection is growing much faster than the room they're in, so I'll have to spill them out of it. I was thinking of taking the TV series and Anime out, and place them in the second room, but it might not be enough.

RossRoy

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2008, 06:19:34 AM »
Life was easier when I still had less than 500 :headscratch:

Oh yeah! I can tell you that at 1763 it's a pain. So much so that I have ~50 DVD to place in the shelves, and I just don't want to do it. Too much shuffling around to place them. So they're there, in a pile, waiting to be placed.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2008, 06:33:56 AM »
I know your pain...  :weep:

Touti

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2008, 01:40:59 PM »
Although I might be forced to. My collection is growing much faster than the room they're in, so I'll have to spill them out of it. I was thinking of taking the TV series and Anime out, and place them in the second room, but it might not be enough.

That's what making it becoming a real pain now.  I have a reasonably large apartment but with small rooms and I had to start putting some in other places than the main DVD room for a while now so they're stored in 3 different shelves at different places.  Having to move some around when there's no room to insert a new one is becoming a real pain.

I could fit everything in the same place again with a new larger shelve but that would mean getting rid of the glass shelf I designed and made myself and I can't convince myself to do that.

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2008, 02:19:31 PM »
My collection is too large at present to do anything but put them in alphabetical order; plus, I don't think I'd be able to find them if I did it any other way. Once in a while I misplace one and then forget it until I go through the whole collection.

I built floor to ceiling bookshelves on every wall in the living room and one bedroom. I'm afraid I've even spilled over into building shelves in the kitchen to hold the overflow. What else can one do with the 12 inches of wasted space near the ceiling?!?  I leave about a foot of clearance on each shelf so that I only have to do major moving a couple of times a year.

I had thought about putting TV series separate but I don't own enough of them to keep them in their own section. But. my brain is so programmed to think alphabetically I doubt I'll change the way I do things.

lyonsden5

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2008, 02:56:01 PM »
I keep my TV sets separate. It helps a lot. Then I have "special collections" (Fox Film Noir; Studio Classics; Disney and Kids movies, Holiday, etc.) The rest are alphabetical.

The problem with the alphabetical is there is a lot of shifting to add new titles. When we moved a few months ago I purchased a new case for the TV sets. It gave me some room to grow with the rest of my collection and I left spaces but it seems everytime I need a put something new away there is no room for it.  :laugh:

Reminds me of when I used to work in a shoe store and had to shift hundreds of boxes of shoes everytime new stock arrived . :-\ (And yes, I did develop a bit of a foot fetish while working there  :-[ ) In fact, that is where I met my wife  :thundergod:

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2008, 03:02:47 PM »
I have pretty much everything Alphabetical... with my collection separated in 4 sections... I have...

- Movies
- TV Series/TV Miniseries/TV Movies
- Movie Serials
- Unwatched DVDs (just put on shelf as I buy... only DVDs not alphabetical)

So all new DVDS go on the unwatched shelf. It hasn't been too bad adding the titles into each section... I just put it off till needed... usually between every 1 and 4 months as I watch enough to add to the other sections.
Pete

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2008, 03:55:16 PM »
Me, myself and I has a rough categorization and within the movies are sorted alphabetically.

categories are: TV shows, fantasy, romance/comedy, science fiction, "sword movies" and "the rest".

Apart from that I have some movies grouped: animation, Kevin smith, Tarantino, war movies

Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

richierich

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2008, 03:57:54 PM »

Reminds me of when I used to work in a shoe store and had to shift hundreds of boxes of shoes everytime new stock arrived . :-\ (And yes, I did develop a bit of a foot fetish while working there  :-[ ) In fact, that is where I met my wife  :thundergod:

Are you Al Bundy???? :bow: