Author Topic: The Discussions Thread  (Read 171421 times)

RossRoy

Re: The Discussions Thread
« Reply #675 on: December 12, 2012, 04:22:34 PM »
Just a quick note - since I am working on the update now (and I should be putting it live this weekend - just have a few hundred left to enter  :training:) could you all just show a little more patience, so that at least I have no done all this in vain?

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #676 on: December 12, 2012, 04:25:33 PM »
Got an error with my first try  :(

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '{' in /www/htdocs/w00acfc4/InsertMemberReviews/insert.php on line 119

I was trying to enter that one

Mortuary
http://www.dvdcollectorsonline.com/index.php/topic,7888.msg158090.html#msg158090

You had to play with it whil I was adding some more checks. ;)

BTW: Here's the generate file:

http://www.dvdcollectorsonline.com/InsertMemberReviews/generate.php?letter=r
http://www.dvdcollectorsonline.com/InsertMemberReviews/generate.php?letter=0

You simply add the letter you wish to generate and it will output the posting which Jimmy then only needs to insert into the approprate letter posting.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2012, 04:31:09 PM by DJ Doena »
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #677 on: December 12, 2012, 04:28:40 PM »
With these two pages new reviews can easily be added to the database without the need to use any excel sheets or complicated formatting.

Simply add the new review to insert.php and then every once in a while Jimmy needs to update the letter postings via generate.php.
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #678 on: December 12, 2012, 04:33:23 PM »
could you all just show a little more patience, so that at least I have no done all this in vain?
No problem, I let you do mine and I'll update any new one I'll write from today...

Not that I have something to wrote today, it's just a cut date :laugh:

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #679 on: December 12, 2012, 04:55:13 PM »
Just a quick note - since I am working on the update now (and I should be putting it live this weekend - just have a few hundred left to enter  :training:) could you all just show a little more patience, so that at least I have no done all this in vain?

OK, let me know when you're finished.

Because the old way was:
1) You insert the links into the letter postings
2) I run a program at home that takes these postings and puts them into the random reviews table

In the future it will be the other way around

1) User add their reviews via insert.php
2) You generate the letter postings via generate.php and update the letter postings
Karsten

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #680 on: December 13, 2012, 03:54:00 PM »
So, how do wee proceed after Sébastien put up the latest update?

Everyone for himself?

Or a small group that periodically adds new reviews via the insert.php and then updates the letter postings via generate.php?
Karsten

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #681 on: December 13, 2012, 04:07:21 PM »
I don't know how everyone else feels... but I am fine with doing my own.

I don't know if it is possible... but ideally if you can put a button on everyone's posts to add the review... then everyone could help add to the list as they find reviews not yet added to the lists. Even better... if that is possible... have it so the button is greyed out when the review is already in the list.

I don't know the first thing about writing scripts... so don't know how much... if any of this is possible.
Pete

Mustrum_Ridcully

« Reply #682 on: December 13, 2012, 04:34:40 PM »
Everyone for himself?
Didn't know we were on the Titanic  :tease: ,
but, yes, why not.

The only problem that might arise from this procedure is if the occasional spammer gets through. In this case we'd have his message on the frontpage.
All in all it's the best solution, I guess.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #683 on: December 13, 2012, 04:46:44 PM »
Maybe make it so you have to initially request the ability to add reviews to the lists? Something like how Invelos makes you request to join the rules committee forum?
Pete

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #684 on: December 13, 2012, 05:16:50 PM »
Spammers aren't a problem because they could only add postings from the forum where we'd never allow spam postings.

But I can change the password to the insert page and simply send it via PM.

So everyone wo's interested has it but spammers wouldn't get it.
Karsten

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #685 on: December 13, 2012, 06:16:09 PM »
Not a lot of work to do it ourselves, so no problem with that.
If you change the password don't forget to let me know, I don't write many reviews anymore but sometimes I feel like writing one.

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
« Reply #686 on: December 13, 2012, 11:14:14 PM »
I don't know how everyone else feels... but I am fine with doing my own.

I don't know if it is possible... but ideally if you can put a button on everyone's posts to add the review... then everyone could help add to the list as they find reviews not yet added to the lists. Even better... if that is possible... have it so the button is greyed out when the review is already in the list.

I don't know the first thing about writing scripts... so don't know how much... if any of this is possible.

I already proposed this on the previous page ;)
Theoretically it should be possible, but no one here has enough knowledge about php to do this. This would probably be the best way to go about this.

So, how do wee proceed after Sébastien put up the latest update?

Everyone for himself?

Or a small group that periodically adds new reviews via the insert.php and then updates the letter postings via generate.php?

We can see if it works when everyone does it themselves. But I still think we will miss a lot of reviews indexed this way. Will it be possible to change the reviewer name, if we add reviews for others? The last time I tried the submission page, I couldn't change the name.

You probably already have planned this, but the link to the submission page should be somewhere prominent.

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #687 on: December 14, 2012, 12:02:16 AM »
We can see if it works when everyone does it themselves. But I still think we will miss a lot of reviews indexed this way. Will it be possible to change the reviewer name, if we add reviews for others? The last time I tried the submission page, I couldn't change the name.

Let me guess, you never tried a posting that wasn't yours. ;)
Karsten

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
« Reply #688 on: December 14, 2012, 12:10:05 AM »

Let me guess, you never tried a posting that wasn't yours. ;)

No  :bag:
Great! :)

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #689 on: December 14, 2012, 03:55:31 AM »
I don't have a problem with doing my own. 
I have one or two movies I need to write about here...hopefully I'll get to that soon and then I can see if I can figure out how to add them.  If I get stuck, I'll bug someone to help me. :)