Author Topic: Weird thing inside dvd case  (Read 1799 times)

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
Weird thing inside dvd case
« on: June 02, 2008, 02:45:03 AM »
In the case of my dvd of "The Invaders" there is a computer chip and this is the first time that I notice that. This is not that visible unless you remove the cover to scan it since there are a white sticker on it. What the use of that? Is it something common with the new dvd?

lyonsden5

Re: Weird thing inside dvd case
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2008, 03:12:57 AM »
If I'm not mistaken it's simply a security/anti-theft device. Yes they are very common.

Touti

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2008, 04:23:25 AM »
It's probably an RFID (Radio Frenquency Identification) tag.   As Rick says, they're used as anti-theft devices.....among other things.

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2008, 04:38:11 AM »
It's probably an RFID (Radio Frenquency Identification) tag.   As Rick says, they're used as anti-theft devices.....among other things.
At the risk to sound like a paranoid tinfoil hat wearer, What are the other things?

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2008, 06:06:58 AM »
At the risk to sound like a paranoid tinfoil hat wearer, What are the other things?
You mean like this?:

But seriously... You probably have seen those as well. They are also glued (with one really tough glue) to the inside of the case, about 5mm wide, 40mm long and 2-3mm high.

Nothing to be paranoid about, it's not to locate your home but only for use in shops, so that the alarm would ring if you leave without paying.

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2008, 09:18:49 AM »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RFID#Inventory_systems

http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radio-identification#Applications_existantes
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools