Author Topic: Horror/Halloween Marathon 2023  (Read 6459 times)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Horror/Halloween Marathon 2023
« on: September 16, 2023, 02:25:17 AM »
Horror/Halloween Marathon 2023
I decided to start early this year so that means I have 46 days to see how many horror, comedy-horror or Halloween specials I get in this year! I am not saying I will get something in every single day... but I will do my best. Whether it is from my extensive DVD/Blu-ray/4K collection, streaming or borrowed from the library I want to at least try to watch at least one thing each day. Here's hoping! As for a total... Who knows what I will get. But I would love to top my best since keeping track.... and according to letterboxd that would be 114 from 2021.

Horror/Halloween Marathon 2023 Count: 35
« Last Edit: October 24, 2023, 06:03:39 AM by addicted2dvd »
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Re: Horror/Halloween Marathon 2023
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2023, 02:26:33 AM »
     The Conjuring (2013/United States)
IMDb |Wikipedia |Trailer |Trailer |
Warner Home Video (United States)
Director:
Writing:
Length:112 min.
Video:Widescreen 2.40:1
Audio:English: DTS-HD Master Audio: 5.1, French: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Portuguese: Dolby Digital: 5.1
Subtitles:English, French, Portuguese, Spanish

Stars:
Vera Farmiga as Lorraine Warren
Patrick Wilson (1973) as Ed Warren
Lili Taylor as Carolyn Perron
Ron Livingston as Roger Perron
Shanley Caswell as Andrea

Plot:
Based on true events, The Conjuring tells the thrilling story of ghost hunters Lorraine and Ed Warren (Vera Farmiga and Patrick Wilson), who help a family terrorized by an evil spirit in their mysterious farmhouse.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Featurettes
  • Digital Copy

My Thoughts:

I really enjoyed this one. It has great atmosphere the story is well written as well acted. I feel this one is a must see for horror fans. Definitely recommended.

Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2023, 02:27:37 AM »
     The Conjuring 2 (2016/United States)

Warner Home Video (United States)
Director:James Wan
Writing:Chad Hayes (Screenwriter), Carey W. Hayes (Screenwriter), James Wan (Screenwriter), David Leslie Johnson (Screenwriter), Chad Hayes (Story By), Carey W. Hayes (Story By), James Wan (Story By), Chad Hayes (Original Characters By), Carey W. Hayes (Original Characters By)
Length:134 min.
Audio:English: Dolby TrueHD: 7.1, English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, French: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Portuguese: Dolby Digital: 5.1
Subtitles:English, French, Portuguese, Spanish

Stars:
Madison Wolfe as Janet Hodgson
Frances O'Connor (1967) as Peggy Hodgson
Lauren Esposito as Margaret Hodgson

Plot:
Reprising their roles from The Conjuring, Oscar® nominee Vera Farmiga and Patrick Wilson star as Lorraine and Ed Warren, who help a single mother raising four children alone in a house plagued by malicious spirits. Known as England's Amityville, the Enfield Haunting was the most documented case in paranormal history. Discover the truth behind the event that shocked the world.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Featurettes

My Thoughts:

This one I felt was as good as the first one. Great story and great atmosphere. I also liked that this one took place the UK. I really enjoy the continuing adventures of the Warrens. And I hope to see many more to come.

Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2023, 04:55:39 AM »
     The Conjuring 3: The Devil Made Me Do It (2021/United States)

Studio Distribution Services (United States)
Director:Michael Chaves
Writing:David Leslie (Screenwriter), David Leslie (Story By), James Wan (Story By), Chad Hayes (Original Characters By), Carey W. Hayes (Original Characters By)
Length:112 min.
Video:Widescreen 2.39:1
Audio:English: Dolby Atmos: 3D, English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Audio Descriptive: Dolby Digital: 5.1, French: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital: 5.1
Subtitles:English, French, Spanish

Stars:
Ruairi O'Connor as Arne Cheyenne Johnson
Sarah Catherine Hook as Debbie Glatzel
Julian Hilliard as David Glatzel

Plot:
Based on a chilling true story: Paranormal investigators Ed and lorraine Warren risk their lives to prove the innocence of the accused and the existance of evil forces in the first U.S. murder trial where demonic possession is being used as a legal defence.

Extras:
  • Featurettes
  • Digital Copy
  • The Conjuring: The Lover #1, a video comic

My Thoughts:

While it may be my least favorite of the 3... I enjoyed every second of it. I loved the effects of the possessed, I love the cast that plays Lorraine and Ed Warren. If you enjoy this franchise, it is a must see!

Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2023, 07:33:51 PM »
     Crimson Peak (2015/United States, Canada)

Universal Studios Home Entertainment (United States)
Director:Guillermo Del Toro
Writing:Guillermo Del Toro (Writer), Matthew Robbins (Writer), Edith M. Cushing (Original Material By)
Length:119 min.
Video:Widescreen 1.85:1
Audio:English: DTS-X: 3D, English: DTS-HD Master Audio: 7.1, English: DTS: 2-Channel Stereo, Spanish: DTS: 5.1, French: DTS: 5.1, Audio Descriptive: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround, Commentary: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround

Stars:
Mia Wasikowska as Edith Cushing
Jessica Chastain as Lucille Sharpe
Tom Hiddleston as Thomas Sharpe
Charlie Hunnam as Dr. Alan McMichael
Jim Beaver as Carter Cushing

Plot:
When her heart is stolen by a seductive stranger, a young woman is swept away to a house atop a mountain of blood-red clay – a place filled with secrets that will haunt her forever. Between desire and darkness, between mystery and madness, lies the truth behind Crimson Peak.

From the imagination of director Guillermo del Toro (Pan's Labyrinth) comes a gothic romance masterpiece starring Tom Hiddleston, Jessica Chastain, Mia Wasikowska and Charlie Hunnam.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Audio Commentary
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Featurettes
  • Interviews
  • BD-Live
  • Digital Copy
  • 7.1 DTS:X Immersive Audio & DTS Headphone:X 2.0

My Thoughts:

I must say... I really had a good time watching this film. It has great atmosphere and all the visuals was done beautifully. The ghosts in this film was done a bit differently then I have ever seen before... at first I wasn't sure how I felt about it but by the end of the film I decided yes it was different but I liked it. Also without giving too much away I must say this one is more then just a ghost film. And it is one that easily keeps your attention through-out the entire story. I feel comfortable recommending this one.

Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2023, 01:03:01 AM »
     The Woman in Black (2012/United Kingdom, United States)
Trailer |IMDb |Wikipedia |
Sony Pictures Home Entertainment (United States)
Director:James Watkins
Writing:Jane Goldman (Screenwriter), Susan Hill (Original Material By)
Length:95 min.
Video:Widescreen 2.35:1
Audio:English: DTS-HD Master Audio: 5.1, Commentary: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles:English, Spanish, Commentary

Stars:
Fisher GirlsEmma Shorey
Molly Harmon
Ellisa Walker-Reid

Plot:
Arthur Kipps (Daniel Radcliffe), a widowed lawyer whose grief has put his career in jeopardy, is sent to a remote village to sort out the affairs of a recently deceased eccentric. But upon his arrival, it soon becomes clear that everyone in the town is keeping a deadly secret. Although the townspeople try to keep Kipps from learning their tragic history, he soon discovers that the house belonging to his client is haunted by the ghost of a woman who is determined to find someone and something she lost... and no one, not even the children, are safe from her vengeance.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Audio Commentary
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Featurettes

My Thoughts:

This one I enjoyed quite a bit; it is a little slower paced then I normally like... but it works for this film. It has really great atmosphere... the characters were well done, and the storyline easily kept my interest. I feel it is well worth the time put in to watch it.

Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2023, 03:07:49 AM »
     The Woman in Black 2: Angel of Death (2015/United States)

Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment (United States)
Director:Tom Harper
Writing:Jon Croker (Screenwriter), Susan Hill (Story By)
Length:99 min.
Audio:English: DTS-HD Master Audio: 5.1
Subtitles:English, Spanish

Stars:
Phoebe Fox as Eve Parkins
Merryn Pearse as Girl in Tube
Mary Roscoe as Woman in Tube
Helen McCrory as Jean Hogg
Amelia Crouch as Flora

Plot:
The supernatural terror returns and unspeakable evil sets its sight on new prey when a group of orphaned children are forced to move into the abandoned Eel Marsh House with their caretakers, Eve and Jean. As the children begin to mysteriously disappear, Eve makes a shocking discovery...it may not be a coincidence that she has come to reside in a place inhabited by the murderous Woman in Black.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Feature Trailers
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Featurettes
  • Digital Copy

My Thoughts:

No, definitely not as good as the first. But I really don't feel it deserves the hate that it seems to get. I feel that it is a decent sequel. I enjoyed the story. I found it worth the hour and a half I put into it to watch it.

Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2023, 08:01:15 PM »
     The Exorcism of Molly Hartley: Unrated (2015/United States)
Trailer |
Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment (United States)
Director:Steven R. Monroe
Writing:Matt Venne (Writer)
Length:96 min.
Video:Widescreen 1.85:1
Audio:English: DTS-HD Master Audio: 5.1

Stars:
Sarah Lind as Molly Hartley
Devon Sawa as Father John Barrow
Gina Holden as Dr. Laurie Hawthorne
Peter MacNeill as Chaplain Henry Davies
Daina Leitold as Janet Jones

Plot:
Moley Hartley (Sarah Lind) is all grown up, but the unholy demon inside her lives on in this all-new, UNRATED sequel that takes terror to the next level! Six year after graduating high school — and discovering that a secret pact assigned her soul to the devil — Molly is suspected of murder and confined to a mental hospital, where she wreaks supernatural havoc on the staff and patients. Her only hope is an exorcism by a defrocked priest (Devon Sawa) looking to redeem himself and save Molly's life before her hideous "transformation" is complete...but Satan has other plans!

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Featurettes
  • Digital Copy

My Thoughts:

Not bad. Though I have seen better when it comes to possession movies. But I enjoyed the story, it kept my attention with ease. And the cast did a fine job though there really wasn't any faces I recognized. But overall, I would say it is worth the time put into watching it.

Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2023, 11:40:40 PM »
     Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark (2019/United States)

Lionsgate (United States)
Director:André Øvredal
Writing:Dan Hageman (Screenwriter), Kevin Hageman (Screenwriter), Guillermo Del Toro (Story By), Patrick Melton (Story By), Marcus Dunstan (Story By), Alvin Schwartz (Original Material By)
Length:108 min.
Audio:English: Dolby TrueHD: 5.1, Audio Descriptive: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo, Spanish: Dolby Digital: 5.1

Stars:
Zoe Margaret Colletti [Zoe Colletti] as Stella Nicholls
Michael Garza as Ramon Morales
Gabriel Rush as Auggie Hilderbrandt
Austin Abrams as Tommy Milner
Dean Norris as Roy Nicholls

Plot:
It's 1968 in America. Change is blowing in the wind … but seemingly far removed from the unrest in the cities is the small town of Mill Valley, where for generations the shadow of the Bellows family has loomed large. It is in their mansion on the edge of town that Sarah, a young girl with horrible secrets, turned her tortured life into a series of scary stories, written in a book that has transcended time. For a group of teenagers who discover Sarah's terrifying home, the stories become all too real in this spine-tingling film produced by Oscar® winner* Guillermo del Toro.

*2017, Directing, The Shape of Water.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Feature Trailers
  • Featurettes
  • Digital Copy

My Thoughts:

I enjoyed this story, though the effects were a bit all over the place. Of course, it is for the younger teens... so there is that. It has good atmosphere, and the cast did a good job. I would say it is worth the time put in to watch it. I can see this becoming a regular in my Halloween marathon viewing.

Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2023, 05:31:15 AM »
     V/H/S/99 (2022/United States)

RLJ Entertainment (United States)
Director:"Shredding"Maggie Levin, "Suicide Bid"Johannes Roberts, "Ozzy's Dungeon"Flying Lotus , "The Gawkers"Tyler MacIntyre, "To Hell And Back"Vanessa Winter [Vanessa & Joseph Winter], Joseph Winter [Vanessa & Joseph Winter]
Writing:"Shredding"Maggie Levin (Writer), "Suicide Bid"Johannes Roberts (Writer), "Ozzy's Dungeon"Zoe Cooper (Writer), Flying Lotus (Writer), "The Gawkers"Chris Lee Hill (Writer), Tyler MacIntyre (Writer), "To Hell And Back"Vanessa Winter [Vanessa & Joseph Winter] (Writer), Joseph Winter [Vanessa & Joseph Winter] (Writer)
Length:109 min.
Video:Widescreen 1.78:1
Audio:English: DTS-HD Master Audio: 5.1, Commentary: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles:English

Stars:
"Shredding"Jesse LaTourette as Rachel
Keanush Tafreshi as Ankur
Dashiell Derrickson as Chris Carbonara
Jackson Kelly as Kaleb

Plot:
A THIRSTY TEENAGER'S HOME VIDEO LEADS TO a series of horrifying revelations. Feathuring five new stories from filmmakers Maggie Levin, Johannes Roberts, Flying Lotus, Tyler MacIntyre and Joseph & Vanessa Winter, V/H/S/99 harkens back to the final punk rock analog days of VHS, while taking one giant leap forward into the hellish new millennium.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Audio Commentary
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Featurettes
  • Music Videos
  • Storyboard Comparisons
  • Outtakes/Bloopers

My Thoughts:

I haven't watched an anthology in a while. This one was right good. Of course, some of the stories was better than others. But I liked them all to some extent. There wasn't anyone I recognized in this one whatsoever. Definitely a fun watch... would recommend.

Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2023, 12:37:18 AM »
     Brightburn (2019/United States)
Trailer |
Sony Pictures Home Entertainment (United States)
Director:David Yarovesky
Writing:Brian Gunn (Writer), Mark Gunn (Writer)
Length:90 min.
Audio:English: DTS-HD Master Audio: 5.1, French: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Audio Descriptive: Dolby Digital: 5.1

Stars:
Elizabeth Banks (1974) as Tori Breyer
David Denman as Kyle Breyer
Jackson A. Dunn as Brandon Bryer
Abraham Clinkscales as Royce
Christian Finlayson as Fauxhawk

Plot:
What if a child from another world crash-landed on Earth, but instead of becoming a hero to mankind, he proved to be something far more sinister? With Brightburn, the visionary filmmaker of Guardians of the Galaxy and Slither presents a startling, subversive take on a radical new genre: superhero horror.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Audio Commentary
  • Featurettes
  • Digital Copy

My Thoughts:

A film that puts two of my favorite genres together.... horror and superhero films. I liked it quite a bit... it is definitely a fun watch. and had some pretty cool kills in it as well. I am happy with the way they ended it as well. There are a couple names here I recognized but not all that familiar with. But they all did a fine job. For those that are bothered by it there is a nice amount of gore in this film. Especially if you have a problem with anything dealing with the eyeball one scene may be a bit hard to watch. Overall, I had a great time watching this one. highly recommended.

Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2023, 10:08:00 PM »
     Nope: Collector's Edition (2022/United States)

Studio Distribution Services (United States)
Director:Jordan Peele
Writing:Jordan Peele (Writer)
Length:130 min.
Video:Widescreen 2.20:1
Audio:English: Dolby Atmos: 3D, Spanish: Dolby Digital Plus: 7.1, French: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Audio Descriptive: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo

Stars:
Daniel Kaluuya as OJ Haywood
Keke Palmer as Emerald Haywood
Brandon Perea as Angel Torres
Michael Wincott as Antlers Holst
Steven Yeun as Ricky "Jupe" Park

Plot:
Oscar®-winning filmmaker Jordan Peele* reimagines the summer movie with Nope, an expansive pop epic of uncanny science fiction. Following their father's shocking death, Hollywood animal wrangler OJ (Daniel Kaluuya) and his sister Emerald (Keke Palmer) begin observing unexplained phenomena on their vast Southern California ranch that leads them down an obsessive rabbit hole as they plot attempts to capture the mystery on camera. Along with a former child star turned family theme park ringmaster (Steven Yeun) who neighbors the siblings, the pair's efforts to chase the spectacle soon bring terrifying consequences and unimaginable horror. The result is a complex social thriller that unpacks the seeds of violence, risk and opportunism that are inseparable from the romanticized history of the American West … and from show business itself.

*2017 Best Original Screenplay, Get Out.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Featurettes
  • Outtakes/Bloopers

My Thoughts:

I found this one to be to slow for my taste. I had to fight off falling asleep on this film. To be honest I didn't find anything about this film to be scary... don't even think I would consider it a horror movie. I normally like Jordan Peele's venture out into the horror genre, but this time... Nope.

Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2023, 07:25:45 PM »
     Smile (2022/United States)

Paramount Pictures (United States)
Director:Parker Finn
Writing:Parker Finn (Writer)
Length:115 min.
Video:Widescreen 2.00:1
Audio:English: Dolby Atmos: 3D, Audio Descriptive: Dolby Digital: 5.1, German: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital: 5.1, French: Dolby Digital: 5.1, French: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Italian: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Japanese: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Commentary: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles:Dutch, English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Spanish, Turkish

Stars:
Sosie Bacon as Rose Cotter
Kyle Gallner as Joel
Jessie T. Usher as Trevor
Robin Weigert as Dr. Madeline Northcott
Caitlin Stasey as Laura Weaver

Plot:
After witnessing a bizzare, traumatic incident involving a patient, Dr. Rose Cotter (Sosie Bacon) starts experiencing frightening occurrences that she can't explain. As an overwhelming terror begins taking over her life, Rose must confront her troubling past in order to survive and escape her horrifying new reality.

Extras:

My Thoughts:

This one I enjoyed quite a bit. They do so much with a simple creepy smile. The cast did a great job. This is one of several I found at the library I hope to add to my collection before too long, recommended.

Rating:
    Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
      • View Profile
    « Reply #13 on: September 20, 2023, 10:11:45 PM »
         The Blackening (2023/United States)

Lionsgate (United States)
    Director:
    Writing:
    Length:96 min.
    Audio:English: Dolby Atmos: 3D

Stars:

Plot:

Extras:
    • Audio Commentary
    • Feature Trailers
    • Featurettes
    • Digital Copy

My Thoughts:

A bit of a comedy-horror. Not too bad for what it is, it has a few laughs in it. Another one I got from the library. Sure, some of it I saw coming a mile away, but that is true with a lot of the comedy horror I see. I would probably pick this one up for my own collection if I found a copy cheap enough.

Rating:
    Pete

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
      • View Profile
      • Cinematic Collection Viewer
    « Reply #14 on: September 21, 2023, 09:04:14 AM »
    A lot of movies I never heard of  :bag:
    And I haven't seen a single one of them.