Author Topic: You've gotta love Amazon  (Read 4855 times)

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
You've gotta love Amazon
« on: May 17, 2008, 05:37:03 PM »
My problem began less than 2 hours ago, 3:48pm to be precise.

I noticed that my Airwolf box contained discs 1 and 2 twice and 3 and 4 were missing. But Amazon UK delivered that box back in Oct 07.

I still contacted them. This is the result:

Dear Customer

Thank you for contacting Amazon.co.uk with your replacement request.

We are sorry for any inconvenience you have experienced with this item and we do not have the slightest intention to disappoint our esteemed customer like you.

As per your request, we have placed a new order #...  for "Airwolf - Series 2 - Complete [1985]", and it will be dispatched as soon as possible to the same address.

To view the availability time and an estimation of the dispatch date of the replacement order, please visit Your Account on our home page

http://www.amazon.co.uk

here will of course be no additional charge for the replacement order. When sending a replacement for a damaged or defective item, it is our policy to request that you must return the original item to Amazon.co.uk within 30 days.

However, as the cost of returning the package is in this case prohibitively expensive, we ask that you keep the original item with our compliments. Perhaps you would like to donate it to a charity in your area if you feel it would be appropriate to do so.

We will notify you by e-mail at the time the new order is sent out to confirm the date, contents and method of delivery.

Thank you for your patience and understanding in this regard and thanks again for choosing to shop at Amazon.co.uk.
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Re: You've gotta love Amazon
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2008, 06:04:53 PM »
I had a similar experience with Amazon. It wasn't quite that long ago when I discovered the fault but they still send a new copy without requesting returning the damaged product.

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2008, 09:32:46 PM »
That's why I do almost all my online business with them.

They are fast
They have a real costumer service (the email are not answered by some robot)
Very easy to resolve a problem with them

I have receive some dvd who refuse to play and never have a single problem to exchange them and they have even paid for my return item shipping. Never have a problem to receive a new dvd when the previous one was lost in the mail (just happen one time, but I was really surprise to receive the replacement order 2 days after my first email contact)

Can't say the same for everyone... DDD I'm talking to you 

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2008, 05:26:31 AM »
They are fast

While I basically totally agree I personally am very sure that the mail Karsten received was created by a "robot"... But heck, if that robot keeps telling us not to send back damaged or otherwise bad products and just sends out new stuff, I have no complaint.

Also, a bit off-topic, I find Amazon to be cheaper than anybody else for Blu-Ray. :thumbup:

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2008, 08:21:36 AM »
They are fast

While I basically totally agree I personally am very sure that the mail Karsten received was created by a "robot"... But heck, if that robot keeps telling us not to send back damaged or otherwise bad products and just sends out new stuff, I have no complaint.

Also, a bit off-topic, I find Amazon to be cheaper than anybody else for Blu-Ray. :thumbup:

No it was not a robot I think. This was the second eMail from amazon within these two hours. In the first one I was asked if I want to have a replacement or a refund. I answered and then this mail came. So even if it is a "text block" answer, a person must have selected the right text and the right item (there was more than one item in the original order).
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2008, 12:33:45 PM »
Glad it all worked out well for you. I have had something similar happen with both Amazon and Deep Discount. When it happened at amazon it was quick and easy... just as you said. But when it happened at Deep Discount... they did straighten it out for me... but was much more difficult and time consuming.

Since that second time it happened I learned my lesson... now as soon as I get a set the first thing I do is open it and check to be sure all the right discs are there and there is no visible problems.
Pete

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2008, 02:14:45 PM »
While I basically totally agree I personally am very sure that the mail Karsten received was created by a "robot"...
I'm sure that they have real person to answer the email. I've send them some with very specific question and I've always receive a very detail answer who really look like something a human write. If you want to see how a robot write try to send an email to Caiman about an order, you always get the exact same answer whatever you ask.

I learned my lesson... now as soon as I get a set the first thing I do is open it and check to be sure all the right discs are there and there is no visible problems.
I always check my dvd when I receive them. I profile them just after I've unwrap them, so I already know if they play right or if a disc is missing in a set.

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2008, 02:38:54 PM »
I always check my dvd when I receive them. I profile them just after I've unwrap them, so I already know if they play right or if a disc is missing in a set.
I've profiled them at once, too, yet not in such detail. The package was even shrink-wrapped until yesterday.
Karsten

m.cellophane

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2008, 08:56:18 PM »
They've been fabulous with me as well. I do almost all of my online shopping with them. Some with DeepDiscount...but only when I "have" to because of their 20% sale since DD's system is awful. But with Amazon, they've sent replacements as others have described. I recently had a copy of Halo 2 crack in my son's Xbox 360. It was 91 days after I placed the order, but they didn't give me any grief about it. They shipped a new copy instantly and I just had to return the cracked copy within a couple of weeks.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2011, 05:22:10 PM »
I have to say... Amazon really impressed me this time!

Yesterday one of my birthday presents.... CSI: NY: Season 2... the digipak was completely destroyed. I opened it and plastic fell everywhere! I was worried because the package shipped and arrived early in May and I didn't get it to find out till yesterday.

But when I called Amazon yesterday they made it quick and easy... immediately sending out a replacement set. Telling me it would arrive by Thursday (tomorrow). And I could send out the bad set back to them.  I little while later my brother (who ordered it for me)  gave me the tracking number Amazon sent him.

Out of pure curiosity I just checked the tracking number... and what do I see? Out for Delivery! Wow! My replacement set arriving the very next day after I made the call!?!?!

Talk about quick and painless!
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2011, 08:02:51 PM »
And UPS just arrived with my replacement copy.... which is in perfect condition!  :thumbup:
Pete

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2012, 07:40:20 PM »
Fascinating:

A few days ago the price for Doctor Who: Series 5 dropped below 20 punds. Unfortunately it said "This item cannot be delivered to your default adress. This item is sold by Amazon's preferred merchant." (something along those line).

So I went to Amazon and inquired if there's any way to order this item.

Answer:

Hello,

I understand that you concern regarding the item "Doctor Who - The Complete Series 5 [DVD]".

Having checked our website and found that this item is currently listed as 'In stock' with Amazon's Preferred Merchant, Indigostarfish.com.

Amazon's Preferred Merchant, Indigostarfish.com, is a Jersey-based merchant offering to supply goods to UK customers exclusive of VAT, via the Amazon.co.uk website.

Indigostarfish.com orders can only be delivered to UK addresses (England, Northern Ireland, Scotland, Wales and all BFPO addresses).

If you order an item that is messaged as "Items for dispatch to UK will be sold by Amazon's Preferred Merchant." for dispatch to anywhere other than the UK, you are placing your order with Amazon.co.uk. If the item is not in stock at the time of purchase with Amazon.co.uk it will be dispatched as soon as it comes into stock.

The availability estimate for the item "Doctor Who - The Complete Series 5 [DVD]" is listed as "Temporarily out of stock." with our retail store, Amazon.co.uk. I'm sorry for any inconvenience caused.

When an item is listed as "Temporarily out of stock. Order now and we will deliver when available" this means that it is an item that is not ordered frequently--so we cant predict exactly how long it will take us to obtain it or when we will be able to ship it to you. After you place your order, we will do our best to get the item for you.

On a hunch I tried to order this. Often I get the error message that I still can't order it because the amount is not available (amount meaning "1"). But this time the system accepted my order and has just send a dispatch note. :)
Karsten

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2014, 10:25:24 PM »
In recent months Amazon has become quite a controversial topic in Germany.

It all started with an "undercover" documentation for one of our TV stations. I watched the docu online after everyone and their dog wrote about it and the first "Boycott!" outcries were made.

I don't know if what the docu claimed was actually true because I found it to be severely lacking in the objective journalism department. If you understand German, you can read my commentary here: ARD vs. Amazon.

The general gist of the controversy is that Amazon hires seasonal workers for the Christmas time and then fires the workers around New Year's. And they also pay according to the union labour contracts for the logistics trade and not the retail trade where the workers would get higher salaries. They can do that because the retailer Amazon EU is based in Luxembourg (mainly for tax avoidance reasons) and what is called Amazon Deutschland is just the fulfiller that operates the deployment centers.

Anyway, two recent events have once again proven to me that Amazon is a great business partner:

#1)
A few months ago I wanted to order the first season of The Newsroom at Amazon.com. Usually the shipping costs for a season are $6.48. For some reason the system charged me $29.52 for a season that only cost $17.99.

It happens, even computers have hiccups from time to time. I contacted the support, they gave me a refund, end of story.

Now it happened again, this time with the sixth season of Burn Notice ($17.11 shipping for a $11.98 product). I contacted the support again and got this reply:

Hello,
I sorry[sic!] to hear that you’ve been charged an incorrect shipping charge.
To make this right for you, I’ve waived the total shipping cost of $17.11 for your order.

What can I say except "Thanks"?

#2)
In early November I ordered the 2014 Castle Wall Calendar from a Marketplace seller at Amazon.com.

Usually I get these US calendars on Amazon.de as well but this one wasn't available.

And so I ordered it. It was shipped to my usual Packstation (basically a fully-automated post office) in mid-November. When it hadn't arrived by mid-December I looked at the tracking ID. It was shipped with DHL Global Mail as were my other orders fulfilled directly by Amazon.com

What I didn't know then: Global(!) Mail Tracking apparently only works in the US (great job DHL!) because all of my orders which I've gotten long ago are supposedly still somewhere in the US.

But back then I believed the tracking system and contacted the Marketplacer and ask him to query the status of the parcel at DHL. He replied at once that he would send another parcel (Fine by me!).

Another four weeks later (it was January 9th by now) I got fed up and contacted Amazon again, registering a complaint. Because I had paid via gift certificate Amazon reimbursed me by gift certificate.

At the same time the seller contacted me again and asked for an address confirmation. And I decided to indulge him and gave him my home address.

Yesterday the calendar arrived.

I contacted Amazon via a standard form and told them the shipment had arrived and that they could withdraw the money again.

This is the reply:

Hello from Amazon.com.

Thank you for your reply regarding order 115-xxxxxxx-xxxxxxx.

We are glad to hear you received your order. It appears you opted for the Amazon.com Instant Credit at the time you filed your claim and a gift certificate was applied to your account.

Since the order did not arrive on time we have decided to make an exception and we will not be removing the gift certificate. Please feel free to use this towards your next order and you may consider this transaction closed with no further action required.

OK then...

PS: Here are my other calendars for this year:

The Big Bang Theory

Friends

Karsten

Offline DSig

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2014, 05:48:01 AM »
You know it is like the airlines ... I used to fly a lot international on the job which would require a couple transfers etc and sometimes bags wouldn't get to where they were supposed to go OR a flight would get rescheduled.  Nothing like going to the counter to get things worked out and having so irate (usually American) screaming at some poor worker about THEIR problem.

When you take into account the number of orders/boxes/shipments that amazon works with AND the number of shippers they deal with (including country post offices) it is simply amazing that they get anything anywhere on time.  I, like most everyone who buys a lot from amazon, have had packages to awry OR not get what was advertised (if not fulfilled by amazon they really can't be blamed to begin with).  I have yet had any problems with getting refunds and most all of the dealers have been very good at refunds and free return shipping.

I didn't like that they increased their 2.99/item to 3.99 (and keeping the majority of that for themselves) but for the convenience and the quality of product/service .. i guess it is worth it .. yeah Amazon
Thank you
David